View Full Version : Question of the Day: Backward one foot glides

Skittl1321
03-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I posted how my skating went in the sunny/cloudy post, however, I do have one question.

I do one footed glides well going forward, enough that I have started them on a circle, and while paying attention to the edge. (Although not well, I can't really feel the difference, but I've been told by my instructor that I'm on the correct edge)

I can't seem to do the same on my back. Right now I am working only on gliding backwards, which she told me to practice on. (I won't be taking another private lesson, and group lessons start soon-- so I don't currently have a coach to ask). These backwards glides are just straight and, I think, flat. When I lift my left foot I can glide about my height on my right foot (I have to do this very slowly, just because I'm still a bit scared of falling)

When I try to glide on my left foot I almost immediatly begin curving in a circle towards my right side. Someone suggested that I was turning my right knee inward, causing my body to curve, however even as I've corrected that to picking my right foot up straight I still curve (although not as dramatically)

Do you have any suggestions on what might make me glide backwards in a straight line?

(More info to help with your suggestions: I'm about to start Basic 4, but haven't skated in about 9 years, so I'm about 8 hours on the ice since restarting. I have skates from when I was a kid that still fit great that were sharpened before I started again, however they are L.L Bean figure skates/blades meaning they aren't much better than rentals, I plan to replace them once I get to Basic 6 or so. Could it just be an equipment problem? Or is that just placing blame to easily?)

Kristin
03-24-2006, 03:20 PM
When you are gliding on your left foot, make sure your right hip is lifted UP. If you are dropping your right hip as you glide backwards, it makes all your body weight cave downwards (to the right) and will cause you to curve on a left inside edge.

froggy
03-24-2006, 03:26 PM
keep your left hip up that is your supporting/skating leg, right boot on the ankle of your left foot , back straight and face forward and right hip slightly open. good luck!

sunshinepointe
03-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Make sure you're skating on a flat and not on an inside edge. If your ankles are rolling in and not perfectly upright you'll get on that edge and start curving. Also check to see if your arms/hips are squared to the front...if either one is pulling back a bit it could throw you off too.

Skating is SO technical - everything has to be just so or it won't work.

Rusty Blades
03-24-2006, 04:44 PM
You will also curve to the right if you are not getting your weight centred over your left blade or if you launch your glide with the SLIGHTEST bit of rotation (as in not being absolutely straight before the right foot comes up).

[You say you were away 8 years, have 8 hours on ice, and starting backward glides? I was 36 years away and have 35 hours on ice when starting backward glides - hummmm - could it be 1 hour for every year away???? 8O ]

vesperholly
03-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Two suggestions:

1. Make sure your free foot is nice and straight when you pick it up. If you turn it in, it could cause a curl to the edge.

2. Hold your right shoulder slightly back to counteract the pull of an inside edge. Don't push it too far back though, or you'll be on an LBO instead of a flat.

Good luck!

sk8pics
03-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Lots of good advice, here. Just keep practicing and you'll get it. It's common for one side to be easier than the other.

A funny story: When I was back in beta group classes, our regular coach was away one week and his brother filled in for him. So, we all meet him on the ice, and tell him the things we're working on, one of which was backward one foot glides. He says, "Okay, like this!" and zooms backward on one foot the whole width of the arena. 8O :lol: Wide-eyed, we all said, "um, no, here's how WE do it!" showing him our pretty much non-existant backward one foot glides.:giveup: Now, I can do them the way he did, but boy, did it take a long time!

Another funny story. I, too, had trouble getting this and holding the position for very long. So, my regular coach would hold my hands as I skated backward, then then have me hold my arms out and he would push me while holding me by the waist. :lol: :lol: Except I would always start laughing, which wasn't terribly productive. Anyway, my point is, that you will get it, but it just takes time.