View Full Version : spin help!

froggy
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I find that I keep rocking onto my toe pick while practicing 1 foot spins, with the sit spin its even worse I can maybe get 1-2 revolutions at best before it fizzles out. Also I began working on the scratch spin this week (goal is to do it well by end of summer I hope!) I was taught it in a few steps, leg out to side, leg in front, leg at knee, then leg pushed down to ankle, I loose it when I begin to bring it to my knee-I loose my balance and just pop out of it, any advice on that like what I should be thinking in my head would really help. These spins are awfully challenging to me, but again what isnt in skating?! Thanks so much and happy skating.

sunshinepointe
03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
What helps me is remembering to keep my abs tight and then bring the free leg in in a controlled fashion without changing the height of the free leg. Also make sure your shoulders are level as this can throw you off balance too. If you're rocking on the blade you just need to get experience in getting onto the sweet spot and staying there. I try to think of really pressing down on the ball of my foot and lifting my toes and this seems to help but there are just some days when I don't have that control and it causes me to travel. Spinning is challenging - I've been working on all of my spins for a while and I still have problems with the scratch spins from time to time if I forget to make tiny adjustments. Keep practicing!

beachbabe
03-24-2006, 09:38 PM
make sure you're not turning your head to the side, because my coach noticed I was doing it and it was agains rotation. Kepp the arms perfectly balanced and make sure that bottom leg is not bent and that your blades are sharpened well at rhe sweetspot. once I left mine for sharpening and i guess the hockey idiot sorta neglected to sharpen the front and back of my blade.

Don't put your head down too much and move your leg in controlled movements, don't just swing it around to egt momentum...becasue it will do the opposite thing. Focus more on balancing.

I've heard a spinner can be very helpful.