View Full Version : How To Bridge The Gaps?

Rusty Blades
03-24-2006, 05:24 AM
For the first time in decades I find myself feeling SAD to see spring coming! Having just returned to figure skating in mid-January, I am NOT ready to quit yet :cry: I have just got my forward edges back, working on cross-overs, and the winter skating season is coming to an end - no, no NO! One club where I skate wrapped up last Saturday; the other finishes on Sunday. I start "spring skating school" April 4 (twice a week thru April and May) then I am off until "summer skating school", July 4 (3 times a week until August 18). Then it is off again until the winter season starts again in late September.

I signed up for spring & summer schools just because I didn't want to be off-ice for five and a half months after working so hard to regain so little!

For those of you who don't skate 12 months of the year, what do you do in the off-season to preserve your skills and conditioning?

Mrs Redboots
03-24-2006, 05:30 AM
I do skate 12 months a year, but I would recommend this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157028220X/qid=1143199747/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-3807552-4232638?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) by Carl Poe for off-ice conditioning.

Poor you, it must be so frustrating. Why not ask around at your rink to see where other people go during the "off season"?

Rusty Blades
03-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks Boots, I have that book - that's the basis for all my off-ice work.

As far as ice time, I have about all the off-season ice that is available within a 3 hour drive! This year I have been the one trying to drag the other adults out to spring & summer skating :halo: A few are coming to spring skate school but nobody else wanted to do summer skate school - I will be the only old bag among dozens of highly cometitive teens!

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2006, 08:31 AM
I usually feel your pain about this time every year. However, this year I am way ready for a break. I am approaching burn-out and need a few weeks off from skating (even though my rink shuts down from mid-April to the beginning of September).

The first time, I cried right after the ice show ended. Last year was a bit easier, as I do have a source of summer ice, although it is a bit of a drive (1.5 hours and beach traffic). Which means I can only go every so often, not 6 times a week (especially with the price of gas).

I have just taken up weight-lifting so that will be my summertime fitness thing, along with some cardio. And going to the beach! And, when I'm finally ready, back to the rink.

crayonskater
03-24-2006, 08:43 AM
In the summers, my rink is closed, and it's not worth it to me to spend the extra time and money commuting to a nearby rink.

I usually do weight training and cardio in the summers. Last summer I took a yoga class.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Try roller blading or bike riding. Plan to make the 3-hour trip once a month as a treat. Once the skating season winds down, I usually start my "let's go to the ... rink!" expeditions. Some of the rinks offer DJ's and disco lights on Fri/Sat evening skates and my kids love it! Best of all, no one knows them so they have a whole new audience to show off for!

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
What really sucks it the competitive season kicks off in September. My club has an exhibition one week after we open 8O Really! Obviously, it benefits those who have summer ice (select few but not really me).

And for those testing (adults) most sessions go on break from November until January.....

I should move where there is year-round ice. If only....