View Full Version : How to take care of Ice Skates?

Luv Ice Skating
03-24-2006, 01:09 AM
I just got my first new pair of ice figure skates the other day and I was wondering what tips do you have for taking care of Ice skates as far as maintenance? What things should I do or buy to keep my ice skates looking like new.

TashaKat
03-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Depends whether you want them looking like new or not :) I preferred mine a bit battered so that it looked like I actually did some work ;)

Anyway ....

Make sure that you dry the blades after every time you use them. I also like to put 'soakers' on to transport them rather than hard blade guards as I always found that no matter how particular I was hard guards would always cause them to rust. I only used hard guards for walking off ice in.

Make sure that you wear hard guards for when you're walking around off ice. Even small particles of grit can damage your blade.

If you feel up to it (I only felt up to it for tests and comps) then you can polish, clean and repigment them. You can buy a special pigment from the manufacturer or a good skate shop, it's much better than normal shoe whitener or dye.

Wax the soles of your boots every now and then.

Make sure that you let the boots dry out naturally, don't ever put them near a fire or on a radiator.

Check the laces!!! Nothing worse than a broken lace at an inopportune moment. Well there is which brings me to the next point ...

Check the blade screws periodically, they can work loose!

Get your blades 'sharpened' regularly (depends on your skating, I used to do it every 4-6 weeks when I was skating regularly) by a GOOD skate guy. I don't know what it's like in the US and other countries but I wouldn't let a rink sharpener within a million miles of my blades 8O

You can always wear OTB (over the boot) tights or boot covers to help keep your boots less scuffed.

Coloured duct tape can work wonders on 'lunge' scrapes and other boot ouchies.

Can't think of anything else just yet ....

EastonSkater
03-24-2006, 02:43 AM
I just got my first new pair of ice figure skates the other day and I was wondering what tips do you have for taking care of Ice skates as far as maintenance? What things should I do or buy to keep my ice skates looking like new.

Put the skate guards on the blades only when you're wearing your skates. When you're not wearing your skates, never have the skate guards on. The steel will rust, even if you think the guards are dry.

Dry your blades with a good water absorbing cloth, or a bunch of tissues at the end of the session. Basically, keep your blades as dry as possible to prevent the blade from rusting. If rusting starts and you leave it too long, it won't be too good for your blades.

Mrs Redboots
03-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Put the skate guards on the blades only when you're wearing your skates. When you're not wearing your skates, never have the skate guards on. The steel will rust, even if you think the guards are dry.I absolutely agree; on the other hand, if you are flying with them and need to pack them in your suitcase, the hard guards will protect the blades better than soakers. Make sure you haven't worn them for 24 hours, though, to ensure that both the hard guards and the blades are bone dry. And take them off as soon as you unpack your suitcase, and revert to the towelling soakers.

Dry your blades with a good water absorbing cloth, or a bunch of tissues at the end of the session. Basically, keep your blades as dry as possible to prevent the blade from rusting. If rusting starts and you leave it too long, it won't be too good for your blades.No, indeed, although a tiny spot usually disappears next time you have your blade sharpened. All the same, you don't want even a tiny spot!

Ideally, store each skate separately in its own fabric or towelling bag (you can make matching fabric bags and soakers, and even wipes! I have a set I bought from a woman at our rink who makes that sort of thing) to prevent knocks in your skate bag. Polish them regularly with something to nourish the leather - I use Renapur leather balsam (http://www.renapur.com/balsam.htm) which smells wonderful, too!

Some people suggest taking the skates out of their bag when you have them at home, but I don't do that - I do sometimes unzip the bag, though.

russiet
03-24-2006, 05:35 AM
If your skates will be set aside for a while, take some long term precautions.

Put a thin coat of oil or something like vaseline in the blades.

Try to store them in a low humidity environment.

Don't store them with the blades down on the floor in your closet. Hang them blade up with good air circulation.

Jon

Kristin
03-24-2006, 09:45 AM

Keep them as dry as possible. I skate 4 days a week, and when I get home I literally open my skating bag and let everything air out. This not only helps keep the boots from rotting, but also helps prevent smelly boots.

I don't worry too much about little nicks & scratches on the boots themselves. If you get some little nicks that you want to cover up, they have "sk8 tape" that you can stick on to make your boots look like new. Many skaters use this tape to cover up blemishes when they compete which is why they always look like they have new boots (even when the boots are totally scratched up!).

Kristin

Isk8NYC
03-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Cool! I made my first "sticky!" Since we've had so many newbies join the board over the last month, I thought all those people who asked "what skates should I buy?" would like to know how to take care of them.

Here are links to the tips on various skate makers' sites:

Klingbeil (http://www.klingbeilskatingboots.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home)
SP-Teri (http://www.spteri.com/FAQ.htm)
Harlick (http://www.harlick.com/order/fit.php)
John Wilson (http://www.johnwilsonskates.com/care/index.html) / Mitchell & King (http://www.mkblades.com/care/index.html) (Same info)
Riedell Skates (http://www.riedellskates.com/fit/care.html)
Jackson Skates (http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/care.html)
Ultima Blades (http://www.jacksonultima.com/jackson_skates/faq_details.asp?fid=33)

Casey
03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
If you forget your hard guards, you can walk around on the toepicks if you don't mind looking a bit funny.

doubletoe
03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
In general, you should sharpen your blades after every 30-40 hours of skating. As you start doing spins and other freestyle elements, it will become more and more important to have a real expert sharpen your blades so that the rocker (the round part that you spin on) doesn't get flattened out. So if you end up buying some good blades a little later on, ask some of the best skaters at your rink who sharpens their blades.

Isk8NYC
03-30-2006, 07:25 AM
If you forget your hard guards, you can walk around on the toepicks if you don't mind looking a bit funny.

If your tutu's on straight, it's okay. :lol:

Casey
03-30-2006, 07:08 PM
If your tutu's on straight, it's okay. :lol:
Well lucky for me I'll never have to worry about that :lol:

Kay
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
How to take care of your skates is an excellent question for a beginning skater, and one that will bring on all different tips and tricks as everyone takes care of their skates in a slightly different way. How well you take care of your skates generally depends how serious your are as a skater and how often you can afford to buy new skates/feel liking breaking new skates in. Skates can last quite a while in very good shape if you are willing to put in the effort required for good skate care. A lot of the other posts have already given great tips on how to take care of your skates, so make sure to check those out. I am obsessively protective of my skates so I tend to go the extra mile, but my skates have always held up very well over the years . So if you would like some hard-core tips that I have collected along the way from coaches and skaters alike, here are a few from me....

- the moment you get in the door from skating practice, you need to get your skates out of their bags and into the air to dry - leather will break down with the acidity of your sweat and will also begin to rot from being moist in a dark place. Lay your skates out on their sides, not touching one another, with the tongues slightly pulled forward, laces loose, on top of a towel. I just picked an out-of-the-way spot in my bedroom for this, but make sure it is not next to any heat source and that your skates will be exposed to light. It is a good idea to lay your skates on one side one night, and the the other side the next so that the leather doesn't warp from the floor. Also, many skaters use "Skate Dryers" which are reusable cloth packets filled with an absorbent material to help draw the moisture out of the inside of the skate - these are extremely useful if you skate everyday or more than once a day and can be purchased at most skate stores.

- never, ever hang your skates up by their blades. a lot of skaters do this, but it warps the leather sole and pulls your blades away from the boot, which is bad not only for your skates, but also for your skating.

- waterproofing your skates was suggested above and it is an excellent idea.

- blade care is of the utmost importance.

- A skater should always own two pairs of guards "hard-guards" or "walking guards" should be used for just that - only when you are walking from the change room to the ice, and back again, or when you are walking around at a competition or show. It is really important to periodically check and wash your hard-guards, because the inside surface where you blade contacts needs to be clean.

- "soft guards" or "fuzzy covers" are those scrunchie, material guards that can be found at any skating equipment retailer. Two important things to look for are a.) padding b.) absorbent lining. Padding is important to cushion your skates while they are in your bag. An absorbent lining is important to wick moisture away from your skate blades. Even though you dry your blades thoroughly before putting your fuzzy covers on, because you blade changes temperature in your bag, moisture often finds it way back onto your blade.

All in all, the key points to skate care are protecting your blades from grit, scratches, etc, and keeping everything aired-out and dry when you're not on the ice. Compared to other sports, a figure skater doesn't really have that much equipment so it doesn't take a lot of effort or energy to give your skates the excellent care they deserve. A skater without skates is dancer, so make sure you take care of them! The rewards are worth it.

p.s. Welcome to the sport of figure skating!! Congratulations on your new skates and I wish you all the best in all of your training. :)

Tinkerbell
04-09-2006, 07:37 AM
So if you end up buying some good blades a little later on, ask some of the best skaters at your rink who sharpens their blades.

I'm curious about this point-- this caution that I keep hearing not to trust various establishments that offer sharpening. The rink I go to offers a 10 dollar custom sharpening along with the regular kind and has a sign up that reads something to do with "expert sharpening". Is that just an inflated ego or is it possible they might know what they're doing?

I can't imagine where else, in Austin, Texas, one might get blades sharpened besides the rink. It's not like skate shops are just around every corner. I suppose I should ask the other skaters.

Do people sometimes have to send their skates away to be sharpened? That seems like it would be highly inconvenient.

Isk8NYC
04-10-2006, 11:10 AM
If your skates feel a bit tight, here's some suggestions courtesy of many posts from many "been there ..." skaters/parents on our board:

If the skates are heat-moldable, have the molding redone to fit your feet.
(Also good if you've just acquired second-hand skates.)

ETA: A good pro shop or shoe repair store can stretch skates overnight, which can buy a few extra weeks' use for growing children.

Put on the hard guards, dampen some thick socks and put the skates on your feet. Walk around in them for an hour or so, then let the skates air-dry. (Take the hard guards off while they dry.) The leather inside will remold to your foot slightly larger.

If you have bunions or corns or whatever, fix a pad in place to push out those spots before you try either of those two suggestions.

ETA: There was a tip about using hot water inside the skates. Klingbeil recommends AGAINST that method because the cushioning and foam protection inside the skate can absorb the water and never really dry. It was very good for old-fashioned skates that were made from leather only.

To treat dried-out skates, Klingbeil recommends wiping out the insides of the boot with a damp cloth (cool water), leaving the cloth inside, then putting the skate in a plastic bag for an hour. Be sure to dry the blade before putting on the cloth soakers.

AndreaUK
04-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi

I am also a new skater with new skates. Can I clarify something with the advice.

My skates are currently in my skating bag in their hard guards, should I not store them this way? Should I store them and travel with them with the softer soakers?

Sorry If this has allready been answered, i get a little bit confused sometimes, blame it on the bump on the head

Andrea

skatingdoris
04-25-2006, 04:42 PM
you should always store your skates with soakers on, travel with them on aswell.
with hard gaurds no matter how dry you think your blades are they well eventually get rust on them, and you don't want this on your nice new skates :cry:

AndreaUK
04-25-2006, 04:48 PM
OK, thankyou for the advice. I will put the soakers on right away and remove the hard guards xx

Andrea

Mrs Redboots
04-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Andrea, the only time you should leave them in their hard guards, other than when walking around the rink, is if you are flying - the guards protect the blades if you have to check them into the hold. We pack ours in the middle of our case, guards on, and stuffed with underwear, and so far they've travelled very comfortably!

But even then, I wouldn't put the hard guards on within several hours of skating, since I need both the blades and guards to be totally dry before putting them on.

Rusty Blades
04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I made a rack from some scrap wood to hold my skates in "the ideal" position for them to dry at home. It also holds the soakers and guards so everything dries quickly.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/northernjane1974/SkateRack.jpg

I also clean my blades and give them a coat of automotive paste wax every couple months. It keeps them looking shiny and new without any rust.

crazi4sk-8-ting
06-27-2006, 08:04 AM
first off after you buy a new pair of skates dont forget to get them sharpend. Buy getting your skates sharpend it will allow you to move better on the ice and it will make some things eaisier. second dot forget to dry your skates after you finish useing them and never walk off the ice without your blade protectors on your skates. Also somtimes people dont dry their blade protectors befoer putting them on so it is better if when you are transporting your skates take off the protector and put on some sokies. that will keep them dry and prevent moister from comming in, stopping rust. Anyways thats all i have to say good luck with your new skates:o

Isk8NYC
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Someone mentioned in another thread that this sticky didn't contain information on sealing / waterproofing boots.

Here is an earlier thread about waterproofing:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487&highlight=waterproofing

Here's a link to a thread specifically about SnoSeal waterproofing:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18326&highlight=waterproofing+sno+seal

Award
09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
you should always store your skates with soakers on, travel with them on aswell.
with hard gaurds no matter how dry you think your blades are they well eventually get rust on them, and you don't want this on your nice new skates :cry:

This is true, because common plastic stuff absorbs water from the air and things like that. That's called 'hygroscopic'. And so even if your skate guards are straight out new from the packet, and you put them on your skate blades (with dry skate blades), then chances are that the skate blade will begin to rust after some long enough period of time.....rust in the places that are in contact with the plastic.

skate_star
10-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I haven't read through all of the other posts, but here are my suggestions on taking care of ice skates.

1. Whenever you are walking in them, wear hard guards.

2. Dry the blades really well with a cloth after you skate.

3. Put soft guards on your skates when transporting them in your skating bag.

4. When at home, air out your skates. (This means take off the soft guards and open your skate bag so your skates can get air) Even with soft guards on, your skates may rust (mine have).

5. If you skates stink, use stink-eez (which is something that you put inside them, kinda like popouri) or dryer cloths.

6. If you want to prevent scratches on them, tape them using skate tape, and redo the tape every month.

7. Get your blades sharpened regularly (one sharpening for approximately every 48 hours of skating on them)

8. Make sure your skate sharpener knows what they are doing, and doesn't usually sharpen hockey skates.

Those are the best suggestions that I have.

Skate@Delaware
10-01-2006, 03:12 PM
5. If you skates stink, use stink-eez (which is something that you put inside them, kinda like popouri) or dryer cloths.

If they really stink, remove the footbed and hand wash it...use dishwashing soap or shampoo and a scrub brush. Rinse well. Air dry overnight. You would be surprised how well this works!!!!

You can make a foot spray to spritz inside:
1/8 c. 100-150% grain alcohol (warning: do NOT drink this stuff!!!! it is evil :twisted: )
about 20 drops of lavender (you can also use citrus, but lavender is a natural deodorant and antibacterial, you can also put in about 5-10 drops of tea tree oil, if desired).
1/8 c. water

Mix all together into a small spritzer bottle (I get mine for 50 cents at walmart). Spray the inside of your skates 2-3 times, allow to air out. Spray your skates AFTER you've finished skating.

MQSeries
10-20-2006, 01:25 PM

If you skate aggressively and accept that you'll fall down a lot when learning difficult jumps, spins and MITF then you're going to get scratches all over at least one of the boots. So don't worry too much about your skates not looking new after a month or two.

You can tape your skates so that will at least protect it from the superficial scratches (although I think taping kind of look hideous on the white skates). If the heels are scratched then you can buy heel paint to cover them up. Make sure the blades are wiped dry as soon as you come off the ice and store them with boot covers on. Pull the tongues forward when storing you skates and let it air dry away from the heat.

Team Arthritis
10-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Hmm I don't see this one:
I buy 2 boxes of refrigerator pack Baking Soda. The boxes are great for eliminating odors in the refrifgerator. They have paper tear outs on the side that cover a meshlike material. I put these in my boots each night and they help them dry more quickly and they never stink. Replace monthly.
Lyle

Helen88
01-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I just bough a pair of those lycra boot covers to keep my skates scuff-free - too much crashing into the barrier on my part I guess - and I was wondering if I should take them off after I had finished skating and overnight? I can just roll them down to tie my laces, but will they hold too much moisture or anything?:??

Isk8NYC
01-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I use the neoprene boot covers, which do seem damp after a good skate. I remove and dry them separate from the skates.

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I just bough a pair of those lycra boot covers to keep my skates scuff-free - too much crashing into the barrier on my part I guess - and I was wondering if I should take them off after I had finished skating and overnight? I can just roll them down to tie my laces, but will they hold too much moisture or anything?:??Yes, take them off when you have finished skating and roll them up like a pair of socks - put them in your skate bag separately.

They shouldn't hold moisture, but you won't really be able to do your laces properly when they are on your skates - I always wear boot covers (hence my username - the first pair I ever had was red, and when I lost them, kind DBNY gave me another pair, which I still wear to this day) but don't think I'd be able to get my skates on if the covers were on them.

Whereabouts do you skate?

Helen88
01-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Whereabouts do you skate?

Alexandra Palace, in London.

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Alexandra Palace, in London.Ah yes, I know it well - I was at Dance Club there on Wednesday night. I train at Streatham, but we are members of Alexandra Palace, and I'm more likely to go to their dance club than I am to Streatham's.

Helen88
01-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Went to get my blades sharpened today and the woman in the skate shop told me that Torvill and Dean had been spotted training at Ally Pally!
Mrs Redboots - don't suppose you seen Pam O'Connor training with Neil Fox for Dancing on Ice 2 have you? Rumors have been floating around that they're training there...

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Went to get my blades sharpened today and the woman in the skate shop told me that Torvill and Dean had been spotted training at Ally Pally!
Mrs Redboots - don't suppose you seen Pam O'Connor training with Neil Fox for Dancing on Ice 2 have you? Rumors have been floating around that they're training there...
I haven't seen them, but it's well probable. There were certainly several training sessions last year at Streatham - I got to meet John Barrowman and Kelly Holmes, which was nice. And David Seaman and Pam spent the whole of one patch GETTING IN MY WAY while I was having my lesson, which was actually rather irritating - I gather he is still skating regularly and still gets in everybody's way, so a friend told me the other night!

Helen88
01-06-2007, 05:52 AM
And David Seaman and Pam spent the whole of one patch GETTING IN MY WAY while I was having my lesson, which was actually rather irritating - I gather he is still skating regularly and still gets in everybody's way, so a friend told me the other night!

I probably would have told her she was my idol and asked for her autograph, but each to their own! :halo:

Tiggerwoos
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how to rejuvinate ice skates?

Mine were sitting in the loft for years and now I'm using them again they're pretty dried out and faded........ A very off white.

Any tips on getting the leather back to its former condition and also what good for getting them back to being white again?

Isk8NYC
01-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Any tips on getting the leather back to its former condition and also what good for getting them back to being white again?1) Sweat them up good, or follow Klingbeil's instructions HERE (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=271868&postcount=14). Some saddle soap will add back some oils. 2) Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and white boot polish.

Tiggerwoos
01-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Will give that a go.... Thanks:)

sk8erel
01-09-2007, 03:46 PM

I've had my figure skates for about a year and a bit now. When í've finished on the ice, i put some soakies on to soak up any remaining ice, so my blades don't go rusty. You can buy these from any skating shop. Sometimes they are called blade buddies, which you can buy in different designs!
Sk8erel:P :P :P

sk8erel
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how to rejuvinate ice skates?

Mine were sitting in the loft for years and now I'm using them again they're pretty dried out and faded........ A very off white.

Any tips on getting the leather back to its former condition and also what good for getting them back to being white again?

You could buy some white boot leather polish and see if that works?
sk8erel:D

sk8erel
01-11-2007, 10:55 AM
You could buy some white boot leather polish and see if that works?
sk8erel:D

It's sk8erel again, instead of polish, you could put some white boot covers on. I have Black, white, blue, and purple. They're good!

Tiggerwoos
01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Ok, thanks for those tips sk8erel, will have a go at them.:)

Helen88
01-13-2007, 10:31 AM
OK, I'm really confused :giveup: . When I got my skates, I asked if I needed to do anything with them and the woman who sold them to me said no. She said I didn't need to polish them or anything, and yet everyone on here seems to be going on about sealing them (!??!) and stuff, and I've got no idea what anyone's talking about. Can someone help? :oops:

sunjoy
01-13-2007, 10:49 AM
OK, I'm really confused :giveup: . When I got my skates, I asked if I needed to do anything with them and the woman who sold them to me said no. She said I didn't need to polish them or anything, and yet everyone on here seems to be going on about sealing them (!??!) and stuff, and I've got no idea what anyone's talking about. Can someone help? :oops:If you have leather skates, and skate in them frequently (I'd say once a week or more), they will last longer if you waterproof the sole, and make sure to let them dry out after each session.

The pro-shop at your rink should be able to do the waterproofing. You can either buy beeswax (comercial name sno-seal), and melt it on using a hair dryer (easy, takes about 15 minutes -- needs redoing periodically), or pay for the proshop to put a waterproof coating on the leather sole (I think it's some kind of varnish).

If you don't have leather skates, don't bother. (But do take care to dry the blade so it won't rust).

Oh, *some* leather skates supposedly come with good waterproofing from the factory. Reidells do NOT. Perhaps either Risports or Jacksons do?

Helen88
01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
If you have leather skates, and skate in them frequently (I'd say once a week or more), they will last longer if you waterproof the sole, and make sure to let them dry out after each session.

The pro-shop at your rink should be able to do the waterproofing. You can either buy beeswax (comercial name sno-seal), and melt it on using a hair dryer (easy, takes about 15 minutes -- needs redoing periodically), or pay for the proshop to put a waterproof coating on the leather sole (I think it's some kind of varnish).

If you don't have leather skates, don't bother. (But do take care to dry the blade so it won't rust).

Oh, *some* leather skates supposedly come with good waterproofing from the factory. Reidells do NOT. Perhaps either Risports or Jacksons do?

OK, thanks :D

Mrs Redboots
01-14-2007, 12:32 PM
OK, I'm really confused :giveup: . When I got my skates, I asked if I needed to do anything with them and the woman who sold them to me said no. She said I didn't need to polish them or anything, and yet everyone on here seems to be going on about sealing them (!??!) and stuff, and I've got no idea what anyone's talking about. Can someone help? :oops:
It does depend on your skates, of course.

I do polish mine sometimes (not as often as I should), using Renapur leather balsam (http://www.renapur.com/balsam.htm), and most men I know use ordinary Kiwi or Cherry Blossom to polish theirs. Over here, using Sno-seal or similar doesn't seem to be as common as it is in the USA, but I'm sure you're careful always to dry off the bottom of your boots when you're drying your blades.

Helen88
01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm sure you're careful always to dry off the bottom of your boots when you're drying your blades.

Well I do try ;)
Thanks.

Isk8NYC
01-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Here's a great column from Mr. Edge, a monthly contributor to Skating magazine. (A USFSA publication) It's all about making your old skates look new again.

Mr. Edge's Recipe for Newness
http://www.usfsa.org/Magazine.asp?id=55&issue=35813

b viswanathan
01-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Someone asked about "custom" sharpening. I don't know what the practice is at your local rink(s), or what exactly they're offering, but I can tell you about my experience.

First, even though I'm not a very high level skater (testing adult silver), I can tell the difference in sharpenings. A poor sharpening can be lopsided, or feel funny when you do edges. Even more, there's stuff that can go wrong over time - for e.g., wrecking the rocker. With expensive equipment, why take the risk?

Anyway, when I moved here, I asked a bunch of figure skaters for recommendations for a sharpener. (Key: ask a figure skater. Hockey skates are different.) I found almost everyone gave me 2 of the same references. These guys are the ones I trust, and I think they're worth the cost ($12).

I'd definitely ask around. Also, over time, you might figure out your preferences. I like an sharp cut, as I mostly practice on hard hockey ice. I also like to sharpen frequently (6-8 weeks, practicing around 3x/wk.), but can't always get my wish. I can tell when I need it, though, as I fall off my edges even more than usual (especially on camel spins, my nemesis).

Some skaters carry around sharpening stones, but I haven't trusted myself with them. Maybe I should see if someone would train me!

Hope this helps.

bv

Skatelyn
02-18-2007, 07:44 PM
When you are back from stating practice you should bring them in you're house so they dont get really cold. :)

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm curious about this point-- this caution that I keep hearing not to trust various establishments that offer sharpening. The rink I go to offers a 10 dollar custom sharpening along with the regular kind and has a sign up that reads something to do with "expert sharpening". Is that just an inflated ego or is it possible they might know what they're doing?

I can't imagine where else, in Austin, Texas, one might get blades sharpened besides the rink. It's not like skate shops are just around every corner. I suppose I should ask the other skaters.

Do people sometimes have to send their skates away to be sharpened? That seems like it would be highly inconvenient.

One of the girls I coached used to take her skates to the rink pro shop to get sharpened, even though I cautioned her mom about poor/careless sharpening jobs. When I finallly convinced her to go to where I get my skates sharpened (approximately 2 hours away), she was angry to find out that the rink pro shop sharpener had knicked her toepick and done a little damage to it! 8O So, as far as my students' experiences go with local skate shops, it's a big no-no in my book...

As for sending skates away to be sharpened, it can sometimes be inconvenient, but worthwhile. (Just look at my above example.) I drive about 2 hours to another state to have my skates sharpened. After what I pay for my skates and blades, there's no way I would let just anyone mess around with them, despite claims of "expert sharpening."

WJLServo
05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Someone asked about "custom" sharpening. I don't know what the practice is at your local rink(s), or what exactly they're offering, but I can tell you about my experience.

First, even though I'm not a very high level skater (testing adult silver), I can tell the difference in sharpenings. A poor sharpening can be lopsided, or feel funny when you do edges. Even more, there's stuff that can go wrong over time - for e.g., wrecking the rocker. With expensive equipment, why take the risk?

Anyway, when I moved here, I asked a bunch of figure skaters for recommendations for a sharpener. (Key: ask a figure skater. Hockey skates are different.) I found almost everyone gave me 2 of the same references. These guys are the ones I trust, and I think they're worth the cost ($12).

I'd definitely ask around. Also, over time, you might figure out your preferences. I like an sharp cut, as I mostly practice on hard hockey ice. I also like to sharpen frequently (6-8 weeks, practicing around 3x/wk.), but can't always get my wish. I can tell when I need it, though, as I fall off my edges even more than usual (especially on camel spins, my nemesis).

Some skaters carry around sharpening stones, but I haven't trusted myself with them. Maybe I should see if someone would train me!

Hope this helps.

bv

Ms Tiger? Is that you? WJL, 50 y.o. hippie from Burbank Arena, here.....

Hmmmmm. Should be honest I guess. How about "Most near 60 y.o. hippie?!?!"

parad0x
05-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question and in the wrong topic, but I was thinking of replacing the laces on my skates and was wondering if the laces from sport shops selling sports shoes would do? Or do they have to be specifically skating laces?

This is as my laces which came with my new boots are too short :?? the advice my proshop gave me was to stop wearing sports socks with my boots and the laces would fit just right :frus: it's just that I have feet that sweat really easily and the thought of having thin socks that don't soak up the sweat is just :?? .

Also, I was wondering what should i do if water gets into my soles after i skate? My boots have been lacquered, but it seems like water is getting through the lacquer through the screws that is used to mount my blades.

These are my first pair of figure skates. I've just recently started to take up recreational skating :)

Thanks! :)

Tiggerwoos
05-13-2007, 01:08 PM
TBH, I'd think the one's found in sports shops would be way too short........... trust me, it's only when you take those laces out those boots you realise how long they are.

You can get a waterproofing agent for the soles of the boots. I've never bothered, but it is a good idea.

A good place to get both laces and boot care is:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm/id/20EAAFEC-475A-BAC0-59D3C0C73A24B9D5

parad0x
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
TBH, I'd think the one's found in sports shops would be way too short........... trust me, it's only when you take those laces out those boots you realise how long they are.

You can get a waterproofing agent for the soles of the boots. I've never bothered, but it is a good idea.

A good place to get both laces and boot care is:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm/id/20EAAFEC-475A-BAC0-59D3C0C73A24B9D5

Hi Tiggerwoos, thanks for the reply :)

looks like i'll be making a visit to the rainbo website for more stuff! :P

Precisionblade
06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Great question with excellent responses to date. The points I would like to add 1) if possible, keep your boots dry by using a boot dryer, 2) after drying your blades after skating, wipe them down with a cloth that is lightly oil soaked (which includes a rust prehibitor),then give them a quick wipe off with a clean cloth before you go back on the ice 3) use snowseal on the soles and heels (before the blades are mounted if possible) 4) boot uppers can be cleaned using a light dish detergent (heavier cleaners can be used depending on boot finish) 5) Goof Off (honest, that's the product name!) can be used to remove tape marks, but watch the finish(does not work on Harlicks) test a small area first 6) we have tried many types of tape and the best by far is tarp repair tape which comes in black and white. It doesn't turn yellow and is very strong. 7) Sharpening is a huge issue and I have seen MK Dance blades worth $500.00 + destroyed with one sharpening. Hope this helps.

ms.goody2shoez
02-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Depends whether you want them looking like new or not :) I preferred mine a bit battered so that it looked like I actually did some work ;)

Anyway ....

Make sure that you dry the blades after every time you use them. I also like to put 'soakers' on to transport them rather than hard blade guards as I always found that no matter how particular I was hard guards would always cause them to rust. I only used hard guards for walking off ice in.

Make sure that you wear hard guards for when you're walking around off ice. Even small particles of grit can damage your blade.

If you feel up to it (I only felt up to it for tests and comps) then you can polish, clean and repigment them. You can buy a special pigment from the manufacturer or a good skate shop, it's much better than normal shoe whitener or dye.

Wax the soles of your boots every now and then.

Make sure that you let the boots dry out naturally, don't ever put them near a fire or on a radiator.

Check the laces!!! Nothing worse than a broken lace at an inopportune moment. Well there is which brings me to the next point ...

Check the blade screws periodically, they can work loose!

Get your blades 'sharpened' regularly (depends on your skating, I used to do it every 4-6 weeks when I was skating regularly) by a GOOD skate guy. I don't know what it's like in the US and other countries but I wouldn't let a rink sharpener within a million miles of my blades 8O

You can always wear OTB (over the boot) tights or boot covers to help keep your boots less scuffed.

Coloured duct tape can work wonders on 'lunge' scrapes and other boot ouchies.

Can't think of anything else just yet ....

The reason that your blades may rust is because the moisture is not all the way wiped off. After skating try wiping the blade off with a terry cloth. This will wick away the moisture. Place a terry cloth soaker over it when storing, but as you're walking or just standing, cover them with plastic guards. Oh, and what do you think I should wear when skating, besides ice skating apparel?

AgnesNitt
02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
The reason that your blades may rust is because the moisture is not all the way wiped off.

I've found that those microfiber cloths you get at the dollar store are WAY better than cotton cloths. They just suck up the water in one swipe.

mamaskate
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Has anyone here tried Stink-Eez? I'm wondering if they work as well as advertised. Do you know what they're filled with?

Mrs Redboots
04-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Has anyone here tried Stink-Eez? I'm wondering if they work as well as advertised. Do you know what they're filled with?
Are those those fish-shaped things? A couple of skaters I know have them.... I regret to say we call them "sex toys", as that's what an airport official once thought they were! I believe they work very well.

mamaskate
04-05-2009, 12:47 PM
They make fish shaped ones, but they also make them in rectangular shapes. I can't believe someone thought that! I can't even imagine what he was thinking! :lol:

dbny
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Put some baking soda in an old sock, tie it off, and use that to stop odors. Refill with fresh baking soda as needed.

Mrs Redboots
04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
They make fish shaped ones, but they also make them in rectangular shapes. I can't believe someone thought that! I can't even imagine what he was thinking! :lol:I think it just looked an odd shape on the X-ray machine, so they enquired....

Kat12
06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Powdered charcoal might help with smell too?

Has anyone ever waterproofed with just a chunk of beeswax rather than paying for SnoSeal? I'm sure the SnoSeal is a bit easier, but...

I replaced the boring white laces in my crappy skates with blue hockey laces, but it seems the lace holes on "real" skates are a lot smaller and the hockey laces might be too fat (yeah, I know I can get colored figure skate laces online, but I'm not paying shipping just for that--it'd probably cost more than the laces would!). I don't wanna be stuck with white laces...anyone see any harm in taking my skates to a shoe shop and having them take an awl to the lace holes to make them a bit bigger and able to fit my nifty blue laces?

FSWer
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't know much. So I don't know if you have to waterproof. But I dry my blades with washclothes and then wrap my skates in towels.

Kim to the Max
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I replaced the boring white laces in my crappy skates with blue hockey laces, but it seems the lace holes on "real" skates are a lot smaller and the hockey laces might be too fat (yeah, I know I can get colored figure skate laces online, but I'm not paying shipping just for that--it'd probably cost more than the laces would!). I don't wanna be stuck with white laces...anyone see any harm in taking my skates to a shoe shop and having them take an awl to the lace holes to make them a bit bigger and able to fit my nifty blue laces?

You could dye the ones you have....RIT dye isn't all that expensive...or kool-aid can be used as an effective dye as well (although less permanent).

Kat12
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
True, but I already have the blue ones...

luckykid
07-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Can I just use any waterproofing wax for leather to waterproof the soles? Since I can't get sno seal.

winskates
05-23-2010, 01:52 AM
My ice skate blade gets rusty, and seems won't glitter any more.

Shall I polish it, and put some grease on the surface?

1.Always dry blades thoroughly after skating.
2.Get blades sharpened on a regular basis by a professional.
3.Wear skate guards on ice skating blades when walking on hard surfaces, floors, and/or concrete.
4.After drying skates thoroughly, cover and store the blades inside of towel-like soakers.
5.Do not leave or store blades inside of plastic or rubber skate guards.
6.Polish figure skating boots on a regular basis.
7.In addition to drying blades thoroughly, dry off the boot's sole completely.
8.Open up the boots a bit, so they can air out, after each skating session.
9.Never attempt to walk around or skate in ice skates without the boots being completely laced up.
10.Replace broken figure skate laces on a regular basis.
11.Have an experienced figure skate technician mount blades and replace screws when necessary.

xtenshix
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
i dont know whats going on.
it seems the cheaper skates with cheaper blades DONT rust.
I always wipe my blades(stock blades on Riedell 133s), carry them in soakers, and only use the hard guards for walking, take them out of the bag to air dry YET my blades get rust(and not the just scrape off kind), between putting them in my bag and getting home. :evil:
the ride is only 10 minutes, but when i get home, the blades already have rust! on the other side, my mom has jacksons. i dont know the name but they have a shoe-like appearance and they're dark blue, grey and white. She walks on the rubber mats w/o guards, she rarely dries them off and she leaves them in the trunk of the car and/or in her bag. YET, they DONT RUST!!!! what is up with that?:??

this was after they've just were sharpened

Query
08-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I always wipe my blades(stock blades on Riedell 133s), carry them in soakers, and only use the hard guards for walking, take them out of the bag to air dry YET my blades get rust

Riedell 133 are beginner level skates, according to a website. Maybe that is a factor.

You are doing most things right. These may help:

1. Do not keep the cloth used to dry the blades in the same bag with the skates! Make sure the cloth has a chance to get completely dry between skates. If you can use a dry paper towel that you promptly throw away, that will work.

2. If possible, don't keep the boots in a bag at all, even during transport - if you must, it should be of a material like mesh or cotton that can breath.

3. Do not place the boots in a trunk - make sure they have good ventilation.

4. If that isn't enough, apply a thin layer of oil to the blades, after drying the blades.

Beyond that, I am at a loss.

FSWer
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I always put my lie the towels that I bought my skates to the Rink in down on the floor (yes the floor is wet so I have to expect to end up wraping my skates back up in a very wet or damp towel) wipe my Blades with washclothes that I use as soakes. Then wrap my skates up and put them in my skatebag. When I get home though I unlace my skates all the way down,lay them on a brand-new set of towels to dry and then use that new set of towels to once again wrap up my skates and store them. While organizing my Skatebag. I still get rust. Or something down by the toe-pick that I think is. But I'm not sure.