View Full Version : question about coaches

Logan3
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I was reading the posts under "changing coaches" and I have a question. The rink my dd practices offers only group lessons. However the teachers offer privates at nearby rinks. Kids from the group classes can contact any teacher and have privates. The kids are not members of a skating club. I am now wondering what the difference between "teachers" and "coaches" are. My dd has now group and some private classes with this certain teacher. However we did not really had any formal talk assigning her as my dd's coach. She never asked me anything and frankly she is always busy trying to make her next class/private. She never suggested that my dd should have more privates and never offered advice or made a long term plan. She is very nice, polite and my dd loves her. We know her now for 2 years.
Can somebody tell me a little bit about the difference?
I am also reading about coaches approaching student and families and that never seems to be the case around here. I know a few skating families (with very talented girls) and they told me that the days that coaches would look for talents around the rink are gone. Now everything is very business like.
I obviously have no opinion. I d love to know more though.

Mrs Redboots
03-24-2006, 05:01 AM
I was reading the posts under "changing coaches" and I have a question. The rink my dd practices offers only group lessons. However the teachers offer privates at nearby rinks. Kids from the group classes can contact any teacher and have privates. The kids are not members of a skating club. I am now wondering what the difference between "teachers" and "coaches" are.
Shouldn't be any difference, really; my own coach refers to himself as a teacher - it's just whichever term you prefer.

I am also reading about coaches approaching student and families and that never seems to be the case around here. I know a few skating families (with very talented girls) and they told me that the days that coaches would look for talents around the rink are gone. Now everything is very business like.
I obviously have no opinion. I d love to know more though.Indeed, coaches/teachers are not supposed to "tout for business" like that, it's unprofessional.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
In our area, most competition skaters have coaches, not instructors.

I once heard a skating mother complain to the Director that her son was in a competition but the man who gave him three lessons a week wasn't planning to attend. The woman's pointed remark was: "I told him (the lesson-giver) that he has to choose: is he my son's INSTRUCTOR or his COACH?"

The "touting" for students (love the term!) isn't as discreet here. That varies from rink to rink based on the skating director and the instructors/coaches at the rink. Some are much more aggressive in telling every group lesson student that they should be taking privates with him/her. I take the high road and only talk to parents of kids who really show interest, out of earshot of the child.

Logan3
03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
So should I treat my dd's teacher as her coach? Before I assumed that we had no "contract" and if I wanted to get a different teacher I did not need to discuss with her. I might be wrong.
I also want to ask about the coach(teacher)/ family relation. Right now with this certain teacher even if we know her for 2 years she never seems to tell me anything about my dd or general figure skating unless I ask a very scecific question. Everything I need to know it seems I have to try hard my self (ask to death around-becoming anoying to other parents..., joining this forum, reading etc). If I ask her she is glad to answer but she never offers to "open my eyes" about anything. To be specific the first time my dd went to a competetion I asked the teacher what she thinks and she said yes it would be a good experience for my dd and wished me good luck. After the competition I found out it would be nice if she had told me more details that I found out by myself while being there. She might assume I know more than I actually do. Who knows?But I know so little that sometimes I do not know what to ask....so it gets me by surprise when it happens. Last time we got a private (the 2nd) I told her that I am open to advice and guidance but she did not have much to say. Nevertheless she is very nice person and my dd loves her, good teacher too. My situation now is that my dd loves skating and we want to persue it BUT we have limited resources (both money and time) so we can only skate twice a week in groups with some privates here and there. I know that way her skating can only be recreational. However I would like some advice when I plan which classes to take, how fast should advance from level to level etc. Just a little more personal attention. I d love to know that I am not alone in making all the decisions.
Can you get such a relationship with a teacher if you are only recreational skater? Should I offer to pay for a session to discuss and get help setting my dd's goals for next year? I know that ultimately is the parent/child that decides but I beleive a little bit of professional guidance would be good too (pointing how realistic a goal is etc).
I know of a local family that has an awsome coach but their dd skates everyday and they are going "all the way" , never a limit with money or time.
Thanks for opening my eyes :)

Chico
03-24-2006, 10:31 PM
You should PICK your childs coach and not just accept one. Watch, listen and think about what you want for your child. Hopefully this person will have a huge role in your child skating life. A good coach DOES set goals with a skater. Your coach is a teacher and they should guide you. All skaters should get good "help" not just the top ones. Your coach has a set fee, everybody pays the same. Make sure you talk with the coach you decide on, share your thoughts and ask for hers. If you can't talk with them, talk to someone else. Not every coach is for every skater or every skater for every coach. Pick carefully, this is an important decision for your little skater.

Chico

Logan3
03-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Chico, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I did read something similar in the USFSA guide book. My problem is that I am cought is some sort of recrieational/ not a "Figure Skating Club world" that all rules and guidelines are blurred. I was looking around the last few days and it seems a lot of the coaches I would like only coach more competitive skaters and the coaches that are more availlable to me seem more than "instructors", not real coaches. I guess it makes sense, dha! I am for sure going to have a discussion with the current teacher asking if she wants to do more for me.
I am thinking to get one more season out of a Club, using the money I save for privates instead.

Chico
03-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Logan3,

Glad I said something helpful. Skating is a whole world into itself and knowing what to do can be hard. "Good" coaches do take on beginners. Beginners can be a coaches future. If you change rinks, spend enough time in the new environment so you can make a smart coaching choice. You never know if a coach will take a student if you don't ask.

Chico