View Full Version : First day on new skates!

wcbrinkerhoff
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
I got a new pair of blades and boots, and tried them out for the first time today. They are the mens bronze something from Riedell and I got the Wilson Excels.... The boots are hard as a rock, and are going to be a b**** to break in! I never had riedells, but I thought I would give them a try, their great--super comfortable. Its just the top of the boot really irritated my lower calf.

It's true what people say about a bigger toe pick. That thing was getting in the way.. it took me about an hour until I got used to it. But, my salchows where way better--they just grab the ice effortlessly.

The only problem is my spins are not very good on them. I cant seem to find the sweet spot.. if I elevate myself too much, that freaking toe pick grabs the ice.. Its going to take a bit of adjusting, but overall, I skated 1000X better.

tidesong
03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
You seem to be going fine, except for the part about the boots being really hard .. you have some work ahead of you! But otherwise great to hear about your skating being better now :)

Kristin
03-24-2006, 09:54 AM
I got a new pair of blades and boots, and tried them out for the first time today. They are the mens bronze something from Riedell and I got the Wilson Excels.... The boots are hard as a rock, and are going to be a b**** to break in! I never had riedells, but I thought I would give them a try, their great--super comfortable. Its just the top of the boot really irritated my lower calf.

You can try some bunga pad gel sleeves to help with the ankle rubbing problem. Also, since the boots are new, feel free to leave the top hook undone for the first month or two (or just lace them up a little looser) so they boots have time to wear-in a bit.

Kristin

Isk8NYC
03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
The Riedell Bronze Medallion and Bronze Stars are both heat-moldable. That would help fit them to your feet better and make the break-in time less painful!

Get the rubbing spots punched out by the pro shop. If it's the top edges cutting into your calf, check to see if there's anything sharp or abrasive, like glue drops or stitching. If there is, remove it! You can also "bend" the tops of the boot outward so they don't cut into your legs as much.