View Full Version : Poll for Pre-Bronze Skaters

cecealias
03-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Jazzpants and I are curious to see how long adults tend to stay at the prebronze level before moving to bronze competitive level. We are also curious to hear what age you started skating at.

If you have already passed out of pre-bronze and are competing at a higher level, you can also participate! we are curious to hear how many years you spent at the pre-bronze level.

Comments and other questions welcome!

jazzpants
03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Too long for me!!! :twisted: (5.5 years!!! :frus: )

(And yes, we want how long it took from you going from passing your Pre-Bronze FS test to taking your Bronze FS test.)

ETA: It will be 7 years on ice for me in June. (Not including the 2 years I toyed around on the ice as a "public session weekend warrior"! :twisted:

Terri C
03-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I started at 28 and had just started the freestyle end of things in 1997 (3 years into skating) when the Pre Bronze test/level was introduced.
It took me not one, two, but three tries to get the freestyle test passed (June 18, 1998!)!
I might like to add that I have taken and given a retry on the Bronze freestyle test 4 times and will go for it when I pass the moves (moves test is next week- need good vibes here!)

sk8pics
03-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Started at, um, over 35 let's say...;) Passed pre-bronze freestyle I think 3 or maybe 4 years ago... stuck on bronze moves (although moves coach says I am making progress, sigh).

froggy
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
havent tested yet for pre-bronze MITF since im stuck on the waltz 8, my other MITF elements I can do but not as controled as I would like. I can do my freestyle pre-bronze elements. I have been skating for about 1 1/2 years began at age 24. maybe ill test late summer wish me luck.

VegasGirl
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Though I haven't tested USFSA so far, my coach said I'd be in bronze having passed the pre-bronze some time last year about a year after starting lessons at age 38.

crayonskater
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
I started with group lessons twice a week at 24, privates at 25. I don't have ice access from April through September. I'm now 26, and while I'm not testing, I can do a passable waltz 8, so I guess that makes me Pre-Bronze ish. I don't know what the freestyle elements.

jazzpants
03-22-2006, 08:22 PM
I started with group lessons twice a week at 24, privates at 25. I don't have ice access from April through September. I'm now 26, and while I'm not testing, I can do a passable waltz 8, so I guess that makes me Pre-Bronze ish. I don't know what the freestyle elements.
Adult Track requirements:

MITF: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_adult.htm
FS: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/singles_fs_test_elements_adult.htm

Scarlett
03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm not prebronze yet. I have been skating for, ummm, almost 2 years I think. I have the required test elements but the moves are my nemesis.

crayonskater
03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks. According to that, since I have a waltz jump and a toe loop, a one-foot spin and a lunge, but no forward 3 turn pattern (though I do have my forward three-turns, sort of) I'm pretty much pre-pre-bronze.

Of course, I can only do my toe-loop in combination with my waltz jump, so...

Debbie S
03-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Started skating in the fall of 2001 at age 29 1/2. Spent 2 years in group lessons, first Basic Skills and then Freestyle, then started with a private coach in Sept 2003 and passed Pre-Bronze MIF (that was the hard part) in May 2004 and took my Pre-Bronze FS the same day (night, really). Been working on Bronze moves since Sept of 2004, although I've been off the ice for probably about 3 months total (when you add up a couple of breaks) in the interim. I finally have a backspin now (although it's currently on spring break at the moment) so when I pass Bronze MIF, I'll take FS. So I guess my official answer is (almost) 2 years at Pre-Bronze and counting.....

sunshinepointe
03-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I've skated about 1 1/2 years total thus far, but I've only been doing moves in the field since January. My coach gave consideration to letting me test Pre-bronze next month but I told her I didn't think I was really ready so I'll test this summer. My coach wants me to start working on Bronze moves before I test pre-bronze...so...yeah :)

Not really an answer to your question though, but I felt left out...:halo:

Skate@Delaware
03-22-2006, 10:26 PM
I've been skating 3 years and I'm 44. Just started working on moves stuff in September (seriously). I am hoping to test either this fall or next spring. We'll see. I've still got lots of work to do!!!!!!! And my rink shuts down mid-April to September.

quarkiki2
03-23-2006, 08:32 AM
I haven't tested yet, but my coach says that once I learn the waltz-8 I should be able to pass both the moves and free for pre-bronze.

This conversation came about when she was talking about making it a requirement for the Synchro team for us to have passed the equivalent of the pre-pre moves. I said "You'd lose me, then" and she looked at me like I was nuts. She said that the only thing keeping me from passing the test is that I haven't tested. Then she taught me the waltz-8. My MIF class is geared towards the pre-pre moves, so I'll learn the three turn pattern there.

It is my goal that when our club goes USFSA (probably some time this summer) I'll test at our first test session.

ClevelandDancer
03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I've been off-ice for 2.5 years now (pregnancy x 2, kids, work), but I was at pre-bronze before my hiatus after 9 years without much hope of getting past it. Of course, I mostly dance and do little freestyle, but still. It seems to be a popular place for those of us who skate more-or-less recreationally to get stuck. Of course, I am a big chicken so it seems to take me a long time to try/master new things on the ice.

I started skating in 1994 at the age of 25, probably averaged about 2 hours a week for 9 years. I passed pre-bronze FS in 1999 I believe (5 years). I'm grandfathered into pre-bronze moves, though I passed regular pre-pre moves around the same time. I was working on bronze moves (needed work, esp. power 3's) and polishing my remaining two bronze dances for testing (passed Hickory Hoedown already) when I stopped. I keep meaning to get back on the ice ... it may happen sometime.

Joan
03-24-2006, 02:32 PM
So I was pre-bronze or lower for nearly 11 years

PattyP
03-24-2006, 02:50 PM
About 10 minutes....sorry.

I was fortunate to test before moves were required and took my pre-bronze and bronze FS test in the same session. I'm came close to failing my bronze test because of that *#$% backspin. I had to re-skate it and got so worked up I couldn't breathe. It took my coach 10 minutes to calm me down. Now I love backspins. :lol:

I was 35 and had been skating about a year.

Kristin
03-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Was a former hockey player in highschool and made the transition to figure skating 10 yrs later when I turned 26. I took my pre-bronze FS test 6 months after I started skating as an adult, passed it, and also was working on standard moves, passing the pre-pre FM's, prelim FM's, and prelim & pre-bronze dances (my goal was to become a well-rounded skater). So I spent the first 2.5 yrs at pre-bronze FS level competing and working on getting solid skating skills before I moved on to Bronze.

Since then, I also finished my pre-juv moves, pre-pre FS, standard Bronze dances, & 1 pre-silver dance. I have also competed about 30 times. To help with my goal of being "well-rounded", I even did a year of Adult Synchro, taking a break from my singles/FM/Dance for that year so I could really concentrate on doing a good job with the team (plus, I had some personal items going on in my life and synchro was a good fit at the time).

As long as I can continue to learn, then I am very happy, regardless of what level I am at. I like to test/compete because it challenges me to work to a higher standard. :)

Kristin

coskater64
03-24-2006, 06:25 PM
I did pre bronze, bronze, and silver all before the FM went into effect. It took a little over 8 months. But, I skated as a kid, so ignore me.8-)

Hannahclear
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
I passed prebronze back on the last day of August 05. Hoping to test Bronze moves around May, FS this summer.

Tessa
03-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I passed tests (pre-pre and pre-bronze something and bronze free) before the adult MITF requirements so I'm grandfathered in. I was skating for about 1.5 years when I took those tests. I skated a few more years, quit for 4, then started again a year ago and I passed my preliminary moves in February so I'm almost equal to where I grandfathered in at, in moves. Am starting silver moves and whatever comes after preliminary moves (I forgot).

mikawendy
03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
(And yes, we want how long it took from you going from passing your Pre-Bronze FS test to taking your Bronze FS test.)

Oopsy, I didn't read/think/do math carefully. I clicked 3-5 because I thought you meant total time skating to get to my current level (aka member of Pre-Bronze Peanut Gallery). So I really should have clicked 1-3 as I've been working on Bronze MIF for a little over a year now (though I haven't tested yet).

I passed Pre-Bronze MIF in Feb 2005 after one previous try in Nov 2004. When I took the test in Feb 2005, I had been working on Pre-Bronze MIF for about 14 months.

Looking forward, once I (eventually) take and pass Bronze MIF, it may be a while before I'm even remotely ready to consider testing Silver MIF. I'm very BI3-turn-challenged. Very.

LoopLoop
03-27-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm late on this, sorry. :halo:

I started skating in 1998. Found out about USFSA adult options sometime in early 1999 and tested pre-bronze that year. Then I learned my first program and tested bronze at the very beginning of 2000 if I remember correctly. Hadn't even thought about competing at that point, but my coach talked me into my first one that year.

Isk8NYC
03-27-2006, 02:07 PM
They didn't have this test structure when I skated as an adult many moons ago. Although I passed USFSA Preliminary, I stopped testing USFSA when I realized that ISI was a better fit for me, competition-wise.

I tested ISI up to Freestyle 5 and was working on doubles and illusions. Then grad school, marriage, kids, and jobs got in the way. (Pretty much in that order, too.)

I'm very slowly moving back into the skating. This summer, barring any more family crises, I'll be taking my MITF and Freestyle tests. Until then, I'm a "No Test" baby!

jenlyon60
03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm a dancer so I guess it really doesn't count...

Started skating early 80s with group then private lessons. Took Preliminary FS before Adult track ever existed. Tested through 1 attempt at European Waltz in the mid-80s, then moved overseas and only skated occasionally for several years.

After I eventually moved back to DC area, began training dance again. Finally passed European Waltz. Took a month to work on Pre-Bronze MIF because my coach said "why not, since I'm going to be at that test session for another skater" and passed them. Worked on and off on Bronze MIF. Worked on Silver and Pre-Gold dances to compete them at Pro-Ams. Finally got serious about the Tango and trained it fairly consistently and tested it over the past year. Now serious about passing AW.

NCSkater02
03-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I started skating four years ago at (nearly) 39. I'm now (nearly) 43, and am a "no-test" My coach and I keep planning to test, but something always comes up. Last year, I broke my ankle. Then I had to replace my blades (that no-rocker thing is really bad)

I'm working on all the elements, but it's difficult to do on freestyle ice. Plus, we only have one moves session per week, it's 45 minutes after I get off work, and I work 30 minutes away from the rink--if I don't hit traffic. And....they are fixing to take it away.:frus: I may never test.

I did compete the summer before I broke my ankle, and planned to this summer until finances got in the way. I'd rather pay for a lesson than compete.

Maineskate
03-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Okay, I'm new at all this...are you a "pre-bronze skater" until you pass the pre-bronze test and then you're bronze? Or are you unranked until you pass pre-bronze and then you're pre-bronze until you pass bronze? I thought the latter, but some of the posts here have me confused.

Anyway, I'm 38--started skating last October--am taking Pre-bronze MIF and FS in June.

Julie

jazzpants
03-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Okay, I'm new at all this...are you a "pre-bronze skater" until you pass the pre-bronze test and then you're bronze? Or are you unranked until you pass pre-bronze and then you're pre-bronze until you pass bronze? I thought the latter, but some of the posts here have me confused.
Hi, Julie!

You are a "No Test" until you passed your Pre-Bronze MIF and FS tests.

Maineskate
03-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Ah, that's what I thought. Thanks for clearing it up in my head!

Julie

emma
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I skated as a kid and left skating at a juv level. Two years ago i came back after several decades off and tested pre bronze thru gold moves in 7 months. That is not the norm but i did figures as a kid so moves came easy.

NickB
04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I started taking group lessons a little over 2 years ago (January 2004) and private lessons in August of that year. I passed my pre-bronze moves last moves after I turned 21. I also passed pre-preliminary moves last year, but haven't tested freestyle yet.