View Full Version : Aussie vs USA dance tests....

cassarilda
03-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Just so I can understand what dance levels are comparable to the Australian testing (we dont have Pre-Bronze etc), I was wondering if someone would be nice enough to list the test levels for dance in the USA, and what dances are required for each... then I can compare them to the Australian tests :)

Thankyou!! :D

jenlyon60
03-22-2006, 06:40 PM
USFS:

Preliminary: Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Rhythm Blues
Pre-Bronze: Cha-Cha, Swing Dance, Fiesta Tango
Bronze: Hickory Hoedown, Willow Waltz, Ten-Fox
Pre-Silver: 14 Step, Foxtrot, European Waltz
Silver: Rocker Foxtrot, Tango, American Waltz
Pre-Gold: Killian, Blues, Paso Doble, Starlight Waltz
Gold: Quickstep, Viennese Waltz, Westminster Waltz, Argentine Tango
International: Silver Samba, Rhumba, Austrian Waltz, Golden Waltz, Yankee Polka, Ravensburger Waltz, Cha Cha Congelado, Midnight Blues, Tango Romantica

luna_skater
03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
It's worth noting that Canadian tests also differ very slightly from US tests. Ours are as follows:

Preliminary: Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Baby Blues
Junior Bronze: Swing, Fiesta, Willow Waltz
Senior Bronze: European, Tenfox, Fourteenstep
Junior Silver: Keat's Foxtrot, American Waltz, Harris Tango, Rocker Foxtrot
Senior Silver: Blues, Kilian, Starlight Waltz, Paso Doble, Cha-Cha Congelado (must pass 4 of 5)
Gold: Viennese Waltz, Westminster Waltz, Argentine Tango, Quickstep, Samba (must pass 4 of 5)
Diamond: Ravensberger Waltz, Austrian Waltz, Gold Waltz, Tango Romantica, Yankee Polka, Rhumba. You must pass 4 of 6 (In Canada, the Midnight Blues is not part of the test stream yet.)

cassarilda
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys!! :)

There are some dances in there I dont recognise, so it definately differs.. :)

The Australian Dances are as follows:

Prelim: For everyone who wants to test in ANY stream, not just dance... Figures/Edges

Elementary 1: Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango
Elementary 2: Swing Dance, Fiesta Tango
Primary: Foxtrot, European Waltz, Silver Samba, Swing 14 step (not sure whether this is meant to be Swing Dance & 14 Step, or if there is a dance called Swing 14 step)
Novice: Rocker Foxtrot, Starlight Waltz, Cha Cha Congelado, Tango
Junior: Westminster Waltz, Kilian, Quickstep, Blues
Senior: Viennese Waltz, Paso Doble, Rhumba, Argentine Tango

For us, if you achieve top 3 ??? (its either top 3 or 2) at the Senior Nationals Comp, then you are eligible for Four Continents and Worlds (as far as I know.. will update you). :D

aussieskater
03-22-2006, 09:40 PM
(Cassarilda, I just wrote out all the dances, was about to press "post", when I saw yours!! Obviously, great minds think alike!! :) )

If someone in England or other countries could also post that country's dance test structure, it would make for interesting comparisons!

For a start, it seems we do the Cha Cha earlier than both USA and Canada (I'm assuming that Canada's "Senior Silver" is more akin to Junior than Novice) - it's certainly earlier than the USA's International Level! Mind you, I have a feeling that an International level dancer will do it better than a Novice level dancer any day... :D

mtj4500
03-23-2006, 03:37 AM
If someone in England or other countries could also post that country's dance test structure, it would make for interesting comparisons!

The compulsory dance tests in the UK are as follows:

Level 1 Novice Foxtrot and Rhythm Blues
Level 2 Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango
Level 3 Golden Skaters Waltz and Riverside Rhumba
Level 4 Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango
Level 5 British Waltz and Foxtrot
Level 6 Willow Waltz and Fourteenstep
Level 7 European Waltz and Twenty Two Step
Level 8A Rocker Foxtrot and Blues
Level 8B Tango and Silver Samba
Level 9A Kilian and Starlight Waltz
Level 9B Paso Doble and Argentine Tango