View Full Version : Another Sharpening Question....

wcbrinkerhoff
03-22-2006, 09:54 AM
I need to get my blades sharpened pretty bad, but I’m afraid of having my rink’s pro-shop sharpen them. I always went to the same guy when I lived in the east coast, but here in the west, it seems that the rink is completely disorganized. The teenage hockey team basically runs the place-- the pro-shop, the rental desk, and the front desk, and I’m afraid that those clowns will be sharpening them. I rarely ever see any coaches, or I would ask them advice. Do you think that it makes all that much difference who does it (does the machine basically take over) or is there a lot of skill involved? I don’t want my expensive blades be hacked off when I pick them up. Do you think I should trust them, or find a reputable pro-shop and mail them off to be sharpened? Thanks for any advice.

dbny
03-22-2006, 10:00 AM
find a reputable pro-shop and mail them off to be sharpened

You have answered your own question! Do not let the hockey jocks touch your skates!

While they are away, get the ProFiler and maintain them yourself.

garyc254
03-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Do you think that it makes all that much difference who does it (does the machine basically take over) or is there a lot of skill involved?

LOTS of skill involved. The machine just sits there and grinds. It's up to the operators to align and constantly check as they move the blade across the grinding wheel.

Do not let a hockey shop sharpen your blades.

Talk to the figure skating coaches and high end skaters and find out who is the best sharpener in your area.

A decent sharpening should take a minimum of 20 minutes (usually longer) depending on the condition of your blades.

`

beachbabe
03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
i would ask who sharpens them and if they have had any experience w/figure skates. or you could ask them to sharpen on the spot to make sure its not a hockey kid. If your blades are seriously expecive better mail them off just in case.

like someone else said, you could get the pro-filer. And if in the end they do mess up your blades, they ares uppsoed to be responsible for replacing them.

stardust skies
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
If you're actually considering going as far as mailing them off, couldn't you just drive to a reputable proshop/rink that has good sharpeners? Ask around, I'm sure people have someone to go to.

wcbrinkerhoff
03-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks so much everyone. I was on the ice today and asked a coach, and she told me to ask a specific person to do it. Im going to try to get it done this week. They are actually new blades, and the factory sharpening is lame... I fell twice cause the edges gave out on me. Thanks again for all your of your help. It's so nice to be able to ask others for advice on a forum like this!!

twokidsskatemom
03-22-2006, 09:18 PM
We send ours 400 miles away, we have no one here but hockey sharpenings. PITA but its worth it !!!

stardust skies
03-23-2006, 12:27 AM
As a side note, you should *never* skate on a factory grind. Blades are sent from the factory with the knowledge that they'll be sharpened before you skate in them. Obviously you fell on these edges. Whoever sold you these blades should've told you they needed a sharpening. I'm sure you don't even know what radius of hollow the blades came with. So you don't even know what you're skating on right now. No good.

Kristin
03-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I need to get my blades sharpened pretty bad, but I’m afraid of having my rink’s pro-shop sharpen them. I always went to the same guy when I lived in the east coast, but here in the west, it seems that the rink is completely disorganized. The teenage hockey team basically runs the place-- the pro-shop, the rental desk, and the front desk, and I’m afraid that those clowns will be sharpening them. I rarely ever see any coaches, or I would ask them advice. Do you think that it makes all that much difference who does it (does the machine basically take over) or is there a lot of skill involved? I don’t want my expensive blades be hacked off when I pick them up. Do you think I should trust them, or find a reputable pro-shop and mail them off to be sharpened? Thanks for any advice.

Are there any higher-level figure skaters that you can ask where they go? That's who I would ask. I don't let just anyone sharpen my skates either. I am very picky about how the edges feel on the ice so I don't blame you for being cautious. Not to mention, some of these hockey places don't understand that you are NOT supposed to grind on the toe pick! So definitely be careful.

If you have to take a trip to a neighboring big city to get them sharpened, I would do so. It's worth the trip to have it done right. If you are in the US, I would check on USFSA.org website for the nearest figure skating club, call them up (or email them) and find out where their skaters go. Call the sharpener to see what their hours are & if you need an appointment (some sharpeners get very busy sometimes).

Good luck!
Kristin

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2006, 09:56 AM
As a side note, you should *never* skate on a factory grind. Blades are sent from the factory with the knowledge that they'll be sharpened before you skate in them. Obviously you fell on these edges. Whoever sold you these blades should've told you they needed a sharpening. I'm sure you don't even know what radius of hollow the blades came with. So you don't even know what you're skating on right now. No good.

:oops: am I bad???? I've been skating on mine for about 2 weeks now......but they are ready for a sharpening. I've been told they come with 1/2" grind which is what I'm on anywho. When I went on the ice to try the mount job, they took a small skidge of adjustment to the inside on the right blade, then I was good to go. The sharpness felt fine......

Anyone have seconds on good reports for the sharpener at Bowie??? I'm there on Sunday.