View Full Version : Skating Camp in Hackensak, NJ

auntlala3
03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Has anyone on this board been to the Summer Adult Skating Camp at the IceHouse in Hackensak, NJ - Am thinking about attending this year and just have some questions from people who have been there.

LoopLoop
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I've been twice; others on the board have been as well. You can post your questions here or feel free to PM me if you'd like.

auntlala3
03-20-2006, 11:20 AM
First question is by the time of the camp I will have completed def. Adult 2 and possibly Adult 3. Would I be out of place there?

This is such a girl question, but what does everyone wear? skating practice dresses, warm up pants, shorts??

How much time is actually spent with the pro's? I know Zimmerman and Fontanna are listed as instructors but "are" they?

Is there a hotel near the ice rink. I live in Central Jersey (Exit 125 on Parkway) and am thinking that the drive everyday may "kill" me - LOL

Are there evening activities for people who do stay?

Thanks
Laurie

sk8pics
03-20-2006, 11:26 AM
*First question is by the time of the camp I will have completed def. Adult 2 and possibly Adult 3. Would I be out of place there?

I'm not sure what Adult 2 and Adult 3 are; is that the very beginning of adult skating in the USFSA's progression? It would be easier to offer you advice if you would say a little about what things you are working on. That said, i went to my very first adult skating camp when I could barely do a waltz jump. It was terrifying but fun!

*This is such a girl question, but what does everyone wear? skating practice dresses, warm up pants, shorts??

Some people wear dresses, some leggings or other skating pants. I usually skate in tights and leggings when the rink is cold, as one of the Hackensack rinks was when I went to the camp a couple of years ago.

*How much time is actually spent with the pro's? I know Zimmerman and Fontanna are listed as instructors but "are" they?

John and Sylvia taught a class on jumps when I was there and they were out on the ice helping everyone. John also taught an off-ice class on off-ice jumping that was fabulous and exhausting.

*Is there a hotel near the ice rink. I live in Central Jersey (Exit 125 on Parkway) and am thinking that the drive everyday may "kill" me - LOL

There is usually an official hotel, I think it was a Marriott that was very nice. And the rate was pretty good.

*Are there evening activities for people who do stay?

When I was there, there was a reception the night before it started, but I don't recall any formalized activities in the evening. I went to dinner with a friend who lived in the area. Truthfully, I was too tired to want to do much after we were done each day.

Hope this helps!

auntlala3
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Below are the skill that will have been completed by June 30th -
Adult 3 is the iffy one -

I realyl wnat to go, but I don't want to waste my money or the instructors time if I am not ready

Thanks for all the help

Adult 1

Falling and recovery
Forward strides & gliding
Forward swizzles
Backward skating
Backward swizzles
One foot glides
Standing 2 foot turns
Snowplow stops
Forward curves
Forward 1/2 swizzle pumps
Forward chasses on a circle

Adult 2

Forward stroking
Backward 1/2 swizzle pumps
Moving 2 foot turns
Forward edges on a circle
Forward crossovers R&L
Backward 1 foot glide

Adult 3

Backward edges on a circle
Backward crossovers R&L
Inside Mohawks
Forward consecutive edges-inside & outside
Forward Progressives
2 foot Spin

Skate@Delaware
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I would really like to go, and drag hubby along, but he always thinks he is never good enough to go to these things. He is comparable to you in his skills. Last year we went to the Adult Edge workshop at Aston PA and he bailed out (we subbed brat daughter). He could have attended, as there was a lovely class working on edges and "scallops" which would have helped him bunches.

Again, that was at Aston (where everyone's legs were jelly because of the plyo workout in the morning....everyone remember that???) We were soooo tired daughter and I fell asleep and slept all the way to southern Delaware.

coskater64
03-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I went last year and it was a good time and a good experience. Most skater's have started working on their Pre-Bronze moves at a minimum, the skaters a leveled by skills so you would be put in a group that is appropriate for you. You should be comfortable attempting things on the Pre-bronze fm and fs tests, but I'm not sure because my group was mostly gold and a few masters skaters.

Wear what you are comfortable with, I wear leggings and a tank top with layers to put on and off.

The coaches you asked about do actually teach the classes and they are very nice. My friend and I actually snagged a private lesson with John Zimmerman and it was very fun.

Overall the camp is a good experience the hotel is not far away, I prefer to stay in the city, but that's me.

There is a camp more focused on edges and basics out of Salt Lake city, it lasts a week and is also a good camp for skater's just starting.