View Full Version : Skating skirts

skatingdoris
03-19-2006, 04:28 PM
I am about to buy my first skating skirt for impending test doom and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not they come with attached panty or if i would have to wear a separate leotard? more specifically i am looking at a Jerry's skirt.
thanks

lovepairs
03-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi,

Yes, usually the commercially manufactured skating skirts and dresses come with the underpants attached.

Just thought I'd mention that adult woman are now allowed to test in pants. I've been testing in pants ever since the USFSA made this rule, because it's much more comfortable, and I don't become so cold.

I also thought that you weren't allowed to test wearing gloves, but over the years I've seen adults and kids wearing gloves. Does anyone out there know the rules about wearing gloves???

jenlyon60
03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
there are no USFS rules against gloves. Some coaches prefer to not have their students wear gloves.

I would rather see a warm comfortable tester than a cold stiff tester (who then doesn't skate well due to discomfort).

Debbie S
03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I have 2 Jerry's velvet skirts (flat panel with slits up the sides) and they both have attached briefs.

There are no rules about gloves during testing (or sweaters or jackets). Somehow, rinks are always cold on test days. I've worn gloves when I've tested.

phoenix
03-19-2006, 09:32 PM
If it's a wrap skirt, it won't have the panty attached.

"Impending test doom" :lol: :lol: :lol:

**Also, just to be sure--you didn't say what you are testing---if it's dance, ladies must still wear a skirt. The new pants rule only applies to singles & pairs.

Chico
03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Many gals wear black leggings/tights with a wrap skirt over the top. I've done this and felt comfortable. No bloomer worry. =-) I've seen some pals show more than they would like with bloomer issues....personally I don't want to go here.

Chico
03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Forgot, sweater tights work great for warmth too. Sweater tights are ribbed and you wouldn't want to wear them under anything tight though. You wear them over regular tights.

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2006, 05:08 AM
If the skirt doesn't come with integral pants, buy a pair of black "full briefs" (and if you want control-front, why not?) and wear them underneath over your tights, which will keep your tights up and preserve your modesty should you happen to fall. I always do that for practice, and if I wear a skirt for test or competition (most of my skirts are either cheapo disco-dance skirts or else home-made), although for the latter my underneaths are white, if appropriate (and underneath my Puppet on a string costume, they were green):
http://mrs-redboots.sk8rland.com/pictures/Puppet.jpg

skatingdoris
03-20-2006, 07:53 AM
great, thanks for all the info folks, i am testing in singles but in the UK, so i don't know what the rules are for women wearing trousers for NISA tests:?:

however i think my coach wants me to wear a skirt, least he told me to get one. 8O warning, large bum on display

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2006, 11:03 AM
great, thanks for all the info folks, i am testing in singles but in the UK, so i don't know what the rules are for women wearing trousers for NISA tests:?:

however i think my coach wants me to wear a skirt, least he told me to get one. 8O warning, large bum on displaySame as USFSA - okay for free skating and Moves, not okay for dance. But you want to test in something that isn't practice-kit, just as you wouldn't compete in practice-kit.

Where do you skate?

skatingdoris
03-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Same as USFSA - okay for free skating and Moves, not okay for dance. But you want to test in something that isn't practice-kit, just as you wouldn't compete in practice-kit.

Where do you skate?

umm - so testing in my going bobbley and slightly seethrough old leggings would be a no no then?:lol:

I skate at Blackburn - burr cold

jazzpants
03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
there are no USFS rules against gloves. Some coaches prefer to not have their students wear gloves.

I would rather see a warm comfortable tester than a cold stiff tester (who then doesn't skate well due to discomfort).Jen: Oh, please oh, please tell my primary coach exactly what you just said!!! :twisted: He does NOT like me wearing gloves during my tests at all. (And just before my official warmup at Sectionals, he nagged me about wearing gloves that looks like like I'm working out at a gym lifting weights with the guys. Lucky for me, I had those cotton fluffy gloves that does nothing for my hands to protect from the cold but looks pretty for the coach for the official 5 minute warmup.) :roll:

Skatingdoris, I wear a pair of footless tights underneath the skating tights to keep my legs warm. Even with that, it's STILL TOO COLD!!! 8O

Mercedeslove
03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
I usually wear my black skirt. That is actually a swim suit skirt. But doesn't look like it.

my leotard from high school gymnastics. I love it. Then I wear a pair of footed tights and then over that a pair of over the boot tights.

Sometimes I'll wear a shirt shirt. I usually start off cold, but like ten minuets later I'm fine.

Tonight I may try a pair of skin tight pants.

jenlyon60
03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Pluschenko has competed for years with gloves on. So did another senior man this season, as I recall.

I don't wear gloves for dance tests but that's because the dance holds often work better gloveless. Or at least they do for me.

Jen: Oh, please oh, please tell my primary coach exactly what you just said!!! :twisted: He does NOT like me wearing gloves during my tests at all. (And just before my official warmup at Sectionals, he nagged me about wearing gloves that looks like like I'm working out at a gym lifting weights with the guys. Lucky for me, I had those cotton fluffy gloves that does nothing for my hands to protect from the cold but looks pretty for the coach for the official 5 minute warmup.) :roll:

Skatingdoris, I wear a pair of footless tights underneath the skating tights to keep my legs warm. Even with that, it's STILL TOO COLD!!! 8O

doubletoe
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Pluschenko has competed for years with gloves on. So did another senior man this season, as I recall.

Yes, "man" could be stretching it a tad, but Johnny Weir wore a glove, LOL!
Also, I remember at least one woman wearing gloves this year. I want to say it was Fumie Suguri but it could have been someone else. . .

Schmeck
03-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Daughter Icy's coach wanted her to wear one of those (nasty) white knit sweaters, white gloves, and a pretty blue practice dress she got at a show. That's just typical wear for testing around here. It's fine, but Icy is into black. Icy fought this ensemble idea for 3 tests (which she passed with flying colors) but wore the dreaded white gloves and white sweater for her juvie moves. She barely passed (2 out of 3 judges, by the skin of her teeth).

So, for her next test, I think we are going back to the black skirt, the black gloves, and the red Mondor jacket. Or maybe a black Mondor jacket, except she outgrew her last one, and they cost $$$!

jenlyon60
03-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, "man" could be stretching it a tad, but Johnny Weir wore a glove, LOL!
Also, I remember at least one woman wearing gloves this year. I want to say it was Fumie Suguri but it could have been someone else. . .

I remembered Johnny with "Camille" on the back of his hand, but wasn't sure if he was the only one besides Pluschenko I was remembering....and I was too lazy to open a new browser tab to look up photos.

mikawendy
03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
"Impending test doom" :lol: :lol: :lol:

**Also, just to be sure--you didn't say what you are testing---if it's dance, ladies must still wear a skirt. The new pants rule only applies to singles & pairs.

Yes, skatingdoris, I also love your phrase "impending test doom."

Sorry I don't have my rulebook handy, phoenix, but I thought the new (AND old rules) about apparel for ladies applied only to competition? I thought they were in the section of the USFS rule book about competition rules, and no attire was specified for tests?

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2006, 06:19 AM
umm - so testing in my going bobbley and slightly seethrough old leggings would be a no no then?:lol:

I skate at Blackburn - burr coldHaven't skated at Blackburn myself, but I've heard it's cold, from various friends there!

Wouldn't a test (assuming it's Elements, Free or Field Moves, not any sort of dance) be a good excuse for a new pair of leggings? ;)

I agree about not wearing gloves when dancing - we occasionally do for compulsory dances in Kilian hold, but usually, once we get to the point of warming-up together, the gloves come off..... in every sense of the word! :mrgreen:

Kelli
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Jen: Oh, please oh, please tell my primary coach exactly what you just said!!! :twisted: He does NOT like me wearing gloves during my tests at all. (And just before my official warmup at Sectionals, he nagged me about wearing gloves that looks like like I'm working out at a gym lifting weights with the guys. Lucky for me, I had those cotton fluffy gloves that does nothing for my hands to protect from the cold but looks pretty for the coach for the official 5 minute warmup.) :roll:

I wear gloves and a sweater (and a kneepad!) for every test. The sweater sometimes comes off for freestyle tests, the gloves never do. But I'm expected to have neat, holeless black gloves, and I get nasty looks from my coach if I have to borrow a pair from one of the kids.