View Full Version : New skates for young skater

sarahmom3
03-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I read a little on a thread about an adult getting new skates. I know skaters have different preferences but I'd like to ask what kind of skate/blade would you recommend for a 11 year old light skater, about 4'8 and 64 pounds. SHe is working on double jumps (currently double toe) and will soon, Im sure be growing out of her skates she has now. She skates about 3-5x per week about 1 hour at a time (TMI?) Right now she has a pair of Ridells, I don't know the #, but I paid about $200 for this pair. So they're pretty bottom of the barrel but she has no complaints.

Also, where is the best place to go to purchase? Pro shops? Online? I have a feeling we'll be forking out a ton of $$ so I want to make sure they fit for crying out loud, lol!

I plan on talking to her coach about this, but I'd like to get some advice from the experts..YOU!
Heather

sue123
03-19-2006, 08:45 AM
I read a little on a thread about an adult getting new skates. I know skaters have different preferences but I'd like to ask what kind of skate/blade would you recommend for a 11 year old light skater, about 4'8 and 64 pounds. SHe is working on double jumps (currently double toe) and will soon, Im sure be growing out of her skates she has now. She skates about 3-5x per week about 1 hour at a time (TMI?) Right now she has a pair of Ridells, I don't know the #, but I paid about $200 for this pair. So they're pretty bottom of the barrel but she has no complaints.

Also, where is the best place to go to purchase? Pro shops? Online? I have a feeling we'll be forking out a ton of $$ so I want to make sure they fit for crying out loud, lol!

I plan on talking to her coach about this, but I'd like to get some advice from the experts..YOU!
Heather

If she's happy in Riedell's, stick with those. Different boots are cut differently, some wider, some narrower. I'm not too sure on which one, but as for as best place to purchase, you'd want to go to a reputable fitter. They should measure both feet, the width, and htey should know how the boot is supposed to fit. They'd let her wear them for a certain amount of time to see how they feel. You can ask her coach which skates and blades would be good for her, she knows her skating better than we would, and could probably recommend a model of boot and blade.

Lenny2
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Rediell is a fine boot--if they fit her, stick with those. They have fine models she can stay with all the way through her skating career if she likes that brand. When my skater was that size, she moved from Reidell to Harlick, but that was just our preference. (She wore Harlick for years and now is in her first pair of Graf.) Check the Reidell website for the boot they recommend for your skater's weight and the jumps she is doing. Do not get too strong a boot for her or she won't be able to skate in them and she will risk injury. As for blades, we always recommend Coronation Ace blades as a good blade for young skaters until they need a Gold Seal blade. They are great for learning spins.

Regarding fitting, we were never satisfied with the abilities of our local shops and we learned how to measure ourselves. There are instructions regarding how to trace and measure the foot on many websites (including www.cyclonetaylorfigskate.com). We measure our skater ourselves and order the boots directly from the manufacturer. We have never had any problem doing this.

litigator
03-20-2006, 10:28 AM
finally somewhere maybe I can help :lol:

mine is 4'6, 72 lbs, 13 years. she had a lot of trouble with her skates probably for the same reason yours does-the skates feel heavy on her feet I bet.

we never tried riedells-too narrow for her feet they seemed

but she tried Jackson competitor, jackson elite (eventually jackson custom), when she was little she wore gams (and loved them) but her feet started to grow differently, wider bridge, very narrow heel, very bony ankle.

a year ago, after desperation of jackson customs still not fitting right, (arch and bridge) a skate fitter convinced us to try grafs. reluctant, b/c of the price (ouch) but she only grows out of her skates 1 time a year, (we used to get 2 years ha ha) because her feet don't grow very quick. and it worked out cheaper than the customs of course. she started in richmond special-loved the lightness, and the arch, and now wears an edmonton special, simply because they are close to the same. they are very light-great for light skaters like yours-but more expensive. also starts at a certain size, so depends on what size her feet are.

look for a good fitter in your area (ask your coach) and the fitter will be able to help you determine if what she's in is best or if there is something else.

blade type might also be something to consider. mine uses ultima and likes them better than wilson blades go figure.

Isk8NYC
03-20-2006, 12:53 PM
finally somewhere maybe I can help :lol:

Hmm. Have you checked Patsy's Parlor lately? Someone was asking for a lawyer and you probably fit the bill!

litigator
03-20-2006, 01:27 PM
never been to Patsy's Parlour-guess I better trot over and have a look...

giggle...now that I'm procrastinating....:lol:

oroetlaboro
03-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Ask as many local skaters as possible (especially the higher level, more experienced ones) for recommendations. The best thing to do is find a pro shop with the reputation for proper fitting and quality service so that they can look at her feet and so that she can try on many different sizes and brands of boots. They all fit differently. It's important to get a proper fit or the skater will start developing foot problems. Sometimes as they grow, their feet change and a different brand becomes better for them. Good luck!

sarahmom3
03-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks so much for te great information. I'll respond back after I discuss it with her coach. I went to the Reidell website and got a lot of interesting information. Thanks again!
Sarah's Mom