View Full Version : off the ice... for awhile

figure_skater
03-18-2006, 01:16 PM
well i went to the doctors again (just a broken toe) and they told me that in ten days it had barely healed so i should stay off the ice for 3 more weeks, totalling 5 weeks for me. 5 weeks = slow and painful torture to me.

in the meantime, is there anything i can do so i can keep in the skating shape or help for when i get back on the ice?

thanks......

TashaKat
03-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

It's difficult to keep 'skating fit' when you have a broken toe but you could still do some work at the gym to keep the muscles toned up. Plus you could do some Pilates or Yoga work, within your limits of course, to help with stretching (something that the majority of us need more of :) ).

All the best x

coskater64
03-18-2006, 01:32 PM
When I crushed my Left big toe I was off for 10 weeks, it actually helped my skating, apparently it let other things that were less obvious heal.:lol:

NickiT
03-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that and I hear and understand your despair, but in the scheme of things five weeks isn't that long really and as others have said, it will give your body a chance to rest and repair. When I broke my ankle I was off the ice for three months and when I broke my arm I managed just three skates in eight weeks, but both times I got back to it with no trouble at all. When I broke my arm I borrowed an exercise bike and parked it in front of the television in the hope of keeping up a certain amount of fitness, but to be honest it didn't make a great deal of difference to my skating when I got back - I still felt totally unfit and lacking in stamina. I think we are only fit for whatever sport we do and therefore it is hard to keep the fitness up while we are off the ice, but like I say five weeks isn't long at all. Good luck.

Nicki

dbny
03-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your toe! When I was out with a broken wrist, I used a Nordic Track almost daily. I should still be doing that!

Perry
03-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I was off for two years with hip surgery, and after I got my hip back to 90% of what it had been (since it'll never bee 100%), it only took me a couple months to get right back to where I had been. Using that ratio, after five weeks, it should only take you about two days! Of course, that might not really be the case, but I'd just ocnentrate on doing what you can to stay decently active (ie, don't spend all your time watching tv) but don't worry about staying in skating shape, since you probably won't. It might take a week or two to get everything back once you start skating again, but five weeks really isn't too long.

Sk8pdx
03-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Figure_skater,
I wish for you a quick recovery for sure! ... perhaps there are some books you can read to help keep you thinking about skating, if you know how to sew, make a new skating dress or practice skirt. Revisit favorite skating movies or video recordings of your own skating to see how far you have come. Make some new goals,and plan a visit with your coach off ice to discuss them. (When I am back on the ice I want to refine my... *fill in the blank*). Offer to be a "skating mom" for someone who doesn't have one. (My other adult skater friends and I joke about how we envy those moms who tie their kids skates for them. We want to adopt one of them. Once my coach showed me a way to lace my skates that would help them from coming loose and yet still be able to bend at the ankle. He tied them for me. For one small moment, I felt like royalty! aaahhh the simple little joys in life) I hope these ideas might help make the time pass quicker. Best of luck to you!

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Poor you! Very miserable having to be off the ice for so long, but it will pass quickly. If you have an off-ice routine that you normally do, I should keep up with that.

Meantime, are you able to swim? I know it uses different muscles, but it is a good overall exercise, and shouldn't stress your toe too badly, whereas a weight-bearing exercise like running or playing tennis might.

On the other hand, you might just be better to rest and heal. It's your body - only you can know what it needs!

badaxel
03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm so sorry for you! I hope you get better soon! I don't know if this really works or not, but when on days when I don't skate, I go through certain moves in my head, or just moving around my apartment. I try to remind myself of things that I want to think about for each element, so I don't forget when I do get on the ice. For example, I'm working a lot on my layback now, so I try to go through a few in my head every day, reminding myself to center first, bend the free leg to go faster, keep my shoulders level, and tip my chin back. It won't keep you fit, but it might help you get some of your elements back a little faster. Like I said, I don't know if it really helps or not...

beachbabe
03-20-2006, 09:21 PM
dont worry about it too much, sometimes time off actually makes you skate better. I've seen people come back from injuries very quickly and being at their old level within days. So don'y stress about it alot

manleywoman
03-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Bike. you don't need your toes for it, and it's great skating cross-training.

I can't skate right now because my car was a victim of a hit-and-run. So until it's fixed, I can't get to the rink.:x

samba
03-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi Figure_skater

Not much to add but my sincere sympathy "just a broken toe" is incredibly painful, I've been there, your digits have loads of nerves in them designed for you to feel for walking and dexterity and boy they do feel when anything goes wrong with them as anyone that has ever stubbed a toe will know.

All I can say is take care and dont go back to skating until you have the official ok, I unfortunately did just that and ended up in a much worse state, with even longer off the ice.

jwrnsktr
03-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Well, misery loves company. I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee for a torn meniscus last Thursday, so I'm off too. I was off with a broken toe a few years ago. Do not worry! You are going to be surprised how well you do when you get back on the ice. We have to get over the fear that everything we have worked so hard to achieve will leave us if we don't use it for a couple of months. You own what you know to this point and you will still own it three weeks from now. I can tell you that when I broke my toe what helped a lot was warm whirlpool baths. If you don't have one of those foot baths, then just sit on the edge of the tub and let the turbulence of the water under the faucet as it fills the tub be your whirlpool bath. It helped me heal more quickly. In the meantime, watch the skating videos of this year's competitions that I know you have taped! And do whatever yoga or pilates you can do. I used the Gazelle when I broke my toe, no pressure or impact on the feet at all. Get well soon!

doubletoe
03-21-2006, 01:02 PM

I can't skate right now because my car was a victim of a hit-and-run. So until it's fixed, I can't get to the rink.:x

I second the exercise bike suggestion! :)

samba
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM

hmm not sure it would make it throb somewhat, pumping the blood to that direction.

How awful, hope its better soon, more to the point are you ok?

Skate@Delaware
03-21-2006, 08:27 PM
hmm not sure it would make it throb somewhat, pumping the blood to that direction.
If you can't wear a sneaker, maybe a somewhat closed sandal?

I hope you heal faster!!!

Several years ago I broke my pinkie toe on my NordicTrac...got up in the middle of the night and "forgot" where my ski machine was-promptly cracked my pinkie toe into it. This was before I started skating, but I was ballroom dancing (OUCH)!

sue123
03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
If you can't wear a sneaker, maybe a somewhat closed sandal?

I hope you heal faster!!!

Several years ago I broke my pinkie toe on my NordicTrac...got up in the middle of the night and "forgot" where my ski machine was-promptly cracked my pinkie toe into it. This was before I started skating, but I was ballroom dancing (OUCH)!

Well, since we're sharing broken toe stories... Our apartment was being renovated, and so the entire contents of my parents bedroom was in our living room. I got up one night to go to the bathroom, and walked right into my parent's box spring. My mom woke up when she heard it, my dad just slept through everything.

manleywoman
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
How awful, hope its better soon, more to the point are you ok?
Oh, I'm fine, since my car was hit all by its lonesome! I was asleep in bed, and it was hit in the middle of the night by some drunk fool. Additionally, my car was stolen in October but recovered without a scratch by the police with the 16 year old still driving it!:lol: I went to juvinile court a few weeks ago to testify.

But between the theft and the new hit and run, I wonder if my car is suicidal?

But thanks for your concern!

samba
03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Glad your'e ok manlywoman, maybe it was one of those drunken sailors everyone is talking about.

Sue123, dads sleep through everything, earthquakes, crying babies, broken toes etc etc, get well soon.

Kelli
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh, I'm fine, since my car was hit all by its lonesome! I was asleep in bed, and it was hit in the middle of the night by some drunk fool. Additionally, my car was stolen in October but recovered without a scratch by the police with the 16 year old still driving it!:lol: I went to juvinile court a few weeks ago to testify.

But between the theft and the new hit and run, I wonder if my car is suicidal?

But thanks for your concern!

My car was stolen a few weeks ago and returned without any new scratches... or an engine and transmission. When I told my coach (I found my car missing at 6am for a 6:15 lesson), her first question was if my skates were in it.

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Glad your'e ok manlywoman, maybe it was one of those drunken sailors everyone is talking about.

Sue123, dads sleep through everything, earthquakes, crying babies, broken toes etc etc, get well soon.
My husband always used to wake up enough to nudge me ...."honey, the baby's crying" and then he would fall back asleep. The next morning, he swore that he never heard her :halo: !!! Yeah, right!

but open the fridge in the middle of the night and scoop ice cream, he is right there!!