View Full Version : O'dorf, baby!

NoVa Sk8r
03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
With all the talk (and enmity and confusion) of Adult Nats, I thought it would be worth mentioning that the deadline for the ISU Adult comp in Oberstdorf, Germany, is April 1--no foolin'!

Competition homepage (http://www.oberstdorf-sport.de/index.shtml?adultcompetition)

USFS page (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=32080)

Results from last year (http://www.isufs.org/results/adult05/)

I am excited about going, as I've never been to Germany. I will definitely be competing in silver singles (and maybe pairs).

Anyone else going?

rlichtefeld
03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Not this year. Flo and I are doing the Mountain Cup though. I love the little town where it is held. And, the competitors are great.

If the two events had been back to back like last year, I would have. But, I can't take that much time off.

Any other Gold Pairs going to the MC?

Rob

VegasGirl
03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Where do you guys get the money from to compete all the way over there?!

flo
03-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Save, save, plastic, save.

VegasGirl
03-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Wow... I don't know...

2loop2loop
03-16-2006, 03:38 PM

Yup,

Skates - check
Outfit - check
Music - check
Passport - check
visa card - check! :lol:

John

Raye
03-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Actually - Plastic plastic save plastic:roll:

NoVa Sk8r
03-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Where do you guys get the money from to compete all the way over there?!It's not that expensive (well, for those with full-time jobs), and the flight, honestly, is not much more than the flight to Dallas for Adult Nats (including last-minute reservations because of the scheduling mess-up). But it's a good way to combine competitive skating with a much-needed vacation!

tidesong
03-17-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm underaged!!! lol but I hope to go when I'm eligible.. I'll be saving up! (I wonder if they allow individual entries just in case your association hasnt managed to join ISU? *crosses fingers about that*)
I cant wait to see this year results as well. The new judging system makes reading the detailled scores an interesting exercise! Its extremely cool to see what other adult skaters can do. I wish you all the best NoVa Sk8r... and any other skaters from there that are going.

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm underaged!!! lol but I hope to go when I'm eligible.. I'll be saving up! (I wonder if they allow individual entries just in case your association hasnt managed to join ISU? *crosses fingers about that*)
You're from Singapore, aren't you? I don't know what would happen about Oberstdorf (but the minimum age there is a lot older than it is for the Mountain Cup), but the MC is an inter-club competition, so you skate for your club, or as an individual member of your Federation. Or you can join the USFSA or NISA (cheaper!) as an individual member just by sending a cheque, and skate representing them.

We've had at least three other skaters from Singapore at the Mountain Cup in the past, although one of them seems to belong to the Tallinn skating club, (don't ask!).

VegasGirl
03-17-2006, 06:24 AM
It's not that expensive (well, for those with full-time jobs), and the flight, honestly, is not much more than the flight to Dallas for Adult Nats (including last-minute reservations because of the scheduling mess-up). But it's a good way to combine competitive skating with a much-needed vacation!

Well, the only out of town competition I've ever skated in was a 3 hour drive away and it cost my all in all just about $1000 for that one day! Just the coaches fees for my daughter and me turned out to be $600 (or $300 ea)... add one night's hotel stay, meals, entry fees and gas to that and presto.
But I agree, if you're planning a vacation any way it would make it worth the expense especially since Germany is such a beautiful destination.

MusicSkateFan
03-17-2006, 08:24 AM
WOW! NoVa....I just looked into flights to Munich and the cheapest was $1,100 ! Where do you get your tickets? I am not going this year but have serious plans to go in 2007 when I have an axel! I have to save $ this year....I am going back to Austria for 6 weeks this summer so that is my only flight to Europe I can afford! (well I also use my miles to upgrade to business). No trans-atlantic in the cargo bin for me! (such a prima-donna, I know):roll:

tidesong
03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
You're from Singapore, aren't you? I don't know what would happen about Oberstdorf (but the minimum age there is a lot older than it is for the Mountain Cup), but the MC is an inter-club competition, so you skate for your club, or as an individual member of your Federation. Or you can join the USFSA or NISA (cheaper!) as an individual member just by sending a cheque, and skate representing them.

We've had at least three other skaters from Singapore at the Mountain Cup in the past, although one of them seems to belong to the Tallinn skating club, (don't ask!).
Yup I'm from Singapore but yeah I know we have had skaters at Mountain Cup without problems but none of us that want to compete internationally are old enough for oberstdorf yet so I was just curious.

flo
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Cost can add up. I don't know if anyone takes their coach to international events, that would be expensice. The adult skaters are really good about offering to help out with coaching and putting people on the ice. Also, cheap flights pop up quite often. When I was looking there was one from JFK to Nice or somewhere in France for under $200. Once there it's relatively inexpensive to move around. Last year when I was looking for flights to Munich I found a good offer to London, and then a seperated flight to Munich.

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Certainly if you don't mind flying budget, your best bet is to fly to wherever in Europe you can get a cheap ticket to, and then taking a budget airline to Munich, or perhaps even to Friedrichshaven, as one skater did last year.

Few people take their coach to European competitions, although some do. Usually it's one coach between a mighty lot of skaters, though - they will club together to pay for one coach for the lot, who will look after them. But mostly, we just look out for each other, put each other on the ice, look after each other's bags/spare music/water bottles, etc. I was acting-coach to Husband and his Other Woman last year, which I found far more nerve-wracking than competing myself!

Even at ordinary adult competitions, coaches tend to be the exceptions, rather than the rule (I don't even really like having my coach at competitions, he makes me nervous - but having said that, I hope he'll come to the British Adults this year, since it's local, if only to see how adult skating has moved on since he last saw it!), especially if you have a spouse/child/friend to go with.

By the way, Husband is now half-wishing we were going to Oberstdorf, since he does have his free programme he could do.... but too late, too late, I'm preaching that Sunday, and I'm not going to try to swap at this stage!

coskater64
03-17-2006, 01:46 PM
The coaches @ o'dorf have also offered their services to the out-of-country skaters, I just got an e-mail regarding that, I'm sure it will be online soon.

It is pricey I found a good fare by my estimation...but it does get expensive. For me it's more plastic, plastic, hip swivel, smile, wink, wink, plastic. I am so kidding.....8O
Even though, Century said I could make a good living as a show girl...g*d help us all.

NoVa Sk8r
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
WOW! NoVa....I just looked into flights to Munich and the cheapest was $1,100 ! Where do you get your tickets? I am not going this year but have serious plans to go in 2007 when I have an axel! I have to save $ this year....I am going back to Austria for 6 weeks this summer so that is my only flight to Europe I can afford! (well I also use my miles to upgrade to business). No trans-atlantic in the cargo bin for me! (such a prima-donna, I know):roll:Well, using orbitz, travelocity, or expedia is really NOT the way to go. I found a flight about half of what you quoted. I'll PM you.

2loop2loop
03-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Even though, Century said I could make a good living as a show girl...g*d help us all.

Now that I'd pay good money to see :lol:

John

Debbie S
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Even though, Century said I could make a good living as a show girl...g*d help us all.LOL!! Go coskater!! :lol:

flo
03-17-2006, 03:52 PM
See what other skills you can pick up skating!

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Even though, Century said I could make a good living as a show girl...g*d help us all.I should take her up on it! After all, the training can only help your skating - it hasn't done hers any harm!

jazzpants
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Coskater64 as a show girl.... Why not? It helped Century!!! :P 8-) (Wouldn't help me though. A couple of her costumes looked like they're at least half my weight...) :P

Raye
03-27-2006, 02:45 AM
By the way, Husband is now half-wishing we were going to Oberstdorf, since he does have his free programme he could do.... but too late, too late, I'm preaching that Sunday, and I'm not going to try to swap at this stage!
Annabel, it is still not too late yet, entry deadline is still four days off... and I am sure you could swap Sundays with a colleague. It won't be the same without you :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
04-04-2006, 05:37 AM
OK, the deadline was Saturday; I'll be there for Silver I.

Who else is going?

2loop2loop, will we see you there?

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2006, 06:21 AM
OK, the deadline was Saturday; I'll be there for Silver I.Are you doing any of the other competitions? We aren't going, although we'll be thinking of you all - maybe next year.

2loop2loop, will we see you there?Him still too young, him mere baby..... even if he is entitled to call himself "Doctor".....

2loop2loop
04-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Him still too young, him mere baby..... even if he is entitled to call himself "Doctor".....

As is Nova! We're the skating chemistry doctors :D

There's a slim chance I might make it to watch, but as Annabel has pointed out I am still too much of a baby to compete. Since I have a July birthday, I won't actually be able to take part until 2009, grrr. :evil:

John

NoVa Sk8r
04-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Yes; oh what fun it is to have a Ph.D. in chemistry. :roll: :P

sk8pics
04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, I think it's fun!

FrankR
04-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Well, I think it's fun!

Yeah. I don't have a PhD but I do have an MS. I don't think chemistry is THAT bad. lol :lol:

flo
04-04-2006, 09:03 AM
The skating scientists - I see more t-shirts.

mintypoppet
04-04-2006, 09:27 AM
It is fun - especially when things explode! I've got BSc chemistry, but have since escaped the lab. My former colleagues like to torment me by sending newsy emails about their projects, knowing that I can understand them even if I don't want to. Apparently, it amuses them.

rlichtefeld
04-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Would us engineers be left out?? Engineering is applied science, ya know.

Rob

flo
04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Engineers welcome!
Minty - I haven't blown up anything in a lab since my master's. I used a microbomb and bomb calorimeter and boom!

mintypoppet
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
One of my housemates used to blow up the lab microwave quite spectacularly on a regular basis. We never let her near the kitchen, just in case it carried over...

sk8pics
04-04-2006, 09:53 AM

:lol: :lol: That's a good idea! Hmnnn... isn't it interesting there are so many of us? Relatively speaking, LOL.

One of my housemates used to blow up the lab microwave quite spectacularly on a regular basis. We never let her near the kitchen, just in case it carried over...
8O :lol: :lol: That's the funniest thing I read today!

2loop2loop
04-04-2006, 10:30 AM

It's been a constant joy :roll:

Speaking of explosions... There was the time when one of my colleagues opened his fume hood to inspect his reaction, closed it again and walked away and just as he did the whole thing exploded with the loudest bang I have ever heard blowing the glass from the fume hood about 20 feet across the lab. That was a lucky escape. Then there was the time when another colleague was about to mix two chemicals together, not being quite sure whether he was following the correct procedure. He let out the immortal words "Oh well, if it explodes, it explodes" and *BOOF* it exploded. He was unharmed fortunately but it was amusing watching his brand new lab coat disintegrate within about a minute as the chemicals went to work. Happy times...

John

NoVa Sk8r
04-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I had the joy of working with picric acid and its salts (relatives of TNT!), as well as perchlorates. Let's just say that I'm glad to now be a science journalist.

flo
04-04-2006, 11:10 AM
NoVa - and you haven't developed a skate booster? The two capsules could be on your toe pick, you toe in, they mix and triple!8O

Debbie S
04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Hmmm...good idea, flo!

Maybe NoVa (and the other scientists on this board) could develop a mix that helps you combat test (and competition) nerves...maybe something that helps you stay on your edges even when your legs shake (and keeps you from scraping your toe picks on back crossovers). :?? :)

Careygram
04-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Ummm, Deb S, I thought that was called "Vodka"?
And as for T-Shirts, how about "Chemists do it with Test Tubes" or "Chemists do it on ice"?

I remember the days of Chemistry Lab. Can you say "singed eyebrows?"
8O

coskater64
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Once again my massive depth will show and my intelligence:
In High School, I passed my hand through a very good flame on the bunsen burner, had to go to the hospital for the burns, asked to leave the class. I never got to see the cute little mole they always were talking about.

I am a Finance major!

8O 8O leslie:lol: :lol: :bow:

flo
04-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Coskater - they have really cute ones - micro moles!
^. .^
=V=

FrankR
04-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Coskater - they have really cute ones - micro moles!
^. .^
=V=

^^

I hear that the good people at Apple are coming up with nano-moles to go with the iPod nano. :P

coskater64
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Isn't a mole like a shrew?

Oh....where could this lead us.....8O :roll: :lol: 8-) :bow: :giveup: :twisted: :idea:

flo
04-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Order Insectivora
Family Talpidae - mole
Family Soricidae - shrew

coskater64
04-04-2006, 04:53 PM
So that would be a yes? What is a micro mole? Is it like a really small mole on your face....perchance...a freckle?

mintypoppet
04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
And as for T-Shirts, how about "Chemists do it with Test Tubes" or "Chemists do it on ice"?

Reminds me of stickers the RSC used to issue: "Cuddle a chemist and see the reaction". We used to make everyone wear them on chemistry socials - they were bright orange, which made everyone easily identifiable. (Well, that was our excuse - as organisers, we were oddly exempt :halo:)

2loop2loop
04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
So that would be a yes? What is a micro mole? Is it like a really small mole on your face....perchance...a freckle?

No for an explanation of the micromole you need to go back to the earlier post about the exploding microwave...:twisted:

In case anyone is interested, the mole is often referred to as the chemists dozen, however it is a rather bigger number than 12. it is 6.022 x 10^23. If an element has an atomic weight of 12 then 12 grams of it contain a mole of atoms.

To demonstrate what a big number this is, a mole of inches would go across the galaxy 16 times (about 1.6 million light years).

But what does this have to do with Oberstdorf...

coskater64
04-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I have no absolutely no idea...once again, I am a finance major.:twisted:

Since I'm off topic, I got this today:
you will only experience this once, at:
01:02:03 04/05/06

Mrs Redboots
04-05-2006, 03:21 AM

Since I'm off topic, I got this today:
you will only experience this once, at:
01:02:03 04/05/06So did I - but it isn't true unless you are American, because here it is 05/04/06! As my husband said when I made the comment "but it doesn't make sense the American way because it's not an ascending sequence" (can you tell he is a mathematician?).

This (http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/moles.htm#bio) is a mole! Or, of course, those nasty black or brown patches you get on your skin that you have to keep an eye on in
case they turn cancerous.

rlichtefeld
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
So did I - but it isn't true unless you are American, because here it is 05/04/06! As my husband said when I made the comment "but it doesn't make sense the American way because it's not an ascending sequence" (can you tell he is a mathematician?).

I actually like the Japanese way: 2006/05/04. Makes the most sense to me and works really well with computers.

Rob

Isk8NYC
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
So did I - but it isn't true unless you are American, because here it is 05/04/06! As my husband said when I made the comment "but it doesn't make sense the American way because it's not an ascending sequence" (can you tell he is a mathematician?).

I agree with him, but then again, I'm an IT person. We like things organized so they sort easily.

While we're still off-topic, wouldn't that date/time combination happen TWICE today? AM and PM?

Debbie S
04-05-2006, 10:19 AM
While we're still off-topic, wouldn't that date/time combination happen TWICE today? AM and PM?I read it as 24-hour/military time, therefore 1 a.m., which means the big moment has already occurred. So coskater, what happened? Did you get kidnapped by aliens in a spaceship? Win the lottery? Land a triple axel? Inquiring minds want to know!!! :?? :P :lol:

2loop2loop
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Maybe you could get NoVa to explain it to you in Oberstdorf (to wrestle this thread somewhat back on track!).

John

coskater64
04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
While in the beautiful town of Oberstdorf, I will sleep past 1:02:03 am on everyday, nor will I be attacked by moles, furry, chemical, or those already residing on my person. I will be skating...how's that for a shocker.8O

Practicing the shorter program w/ glee....

Mrs Redboots
04-05-2006, 02:31 PM
I actually like the Japanese way: 2006/05/04. Makes the most sense to me and works really well with computers.

RobI use it for files and folders on my computer - say, things like our church newsletter, which I do every month, it's a lot easier to find a folder marked "2006_04" than one marked "April 2006" in an alphanumeric list.

My default is always for 24-hour clocks, too. 01:02:03 is definitely in the early morning, not lunchtime!

While in the beautiful town of Oberstdorf, I will sleep past 1:02:03 am on everydayYou mean, you'll have gone to bed that early?! :?: