View Full Version : Your first competition?

Skittl1321
03-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a LONG way to go before I can begin to think realistically about competitions- but that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about them already.

What was your first competition? How far did you travel for it? How did you do? What's your favorite thing about competiting?

Or conversely- Why do you choose not to compete?

Kristin
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Skittl,

My first competition was a local one here in the Detroit area. I was a Pre-Bronze adult and it was scary! I was so nervous, but still did fine, placing 3rd out of 4 ladies. The whole performance was over so quick and I felt like I was skating in the twilight zone. But I started competing because I wanted to challenge myself to do more than just the basic adult figure skating, and I figured that if I could do all these elements in a program, while my knees were shaking & nervous, then that meant that I really did have them! My fav thing about competing is setting my own individual goals & meeting those goals. When I have to go out there and land a new jump for the first time in comp or a new spin, it really makes me feel very accomplished no matter where I place. The only thing you can control is your own performance. I can't control who I am competing against, or the judges who will be on the panel, so I figure the best thing I can do is to just go out there, do my best and try to catch a good performance on tape or get some really nice pictures of me in my skating dress! It's a hoot! Then I can see how the hard work is paying off and how I am improving. 8-)

Since I started, I have competed many times, have passed many tests in Dance, Field moves, and Freestyle, have gotten a chance to travel to visit friends in other towns because of skating events, met tons of new people all over the US, and just had a plain old blast! This is all stuff I would have missed out on if I didn't start competing. :D

Kristin

Careygram
03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh this is a fun one. Let's see, my first competition was the Hershey Open in 1993 and I had been skating for about a year. They didn't even have bronze, silver or gold then, it was just Junior and Senior and I don't even know what the deciding criteria was. I was pretty okay until I took center Ice. I thought "oh damn, I should have gone to the bathroom again" despite the 6 trips in the five minutes preceding my turn. And then my music came on. My legs were quivering and I was sweating. I took a big splat on a Flip-Loop and started giggling. I finished my program pretty strong and with a big smile. When I got off the ice my coach said "my God, I've never seen you skate that FAST!". Which is why I finished on time even with a messy splat. I managed to place 3 out of 7 and it was about 5 years before I even thought about competing again! I would suggest a tranquilizer or drink right before...8O

flying~camel
03-16-2006, 10:55 AM
My 1st competition was when I was 13 skating at the ISI Delta level at my then home rink in the Chicago area.

I made it through the entire program only to fall while coming out of a lunge right at the very end. I spent the next 5-10 minutes bawling in the locker room, convinced I had come in last place. To my suprise, when I saw the results sheet, I had actually gotten 1st place!

After that experience, I was hooked! I competed all the way through until I was 18, when I quit skating to go to college. When I started back up again at 23, the competition bug bit me again and here I am getting ready for my 1st ANs! :)

Skate@Delaware
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
My first competition was at Annapolis, about an hour and 15 minutes away from my house on the 5th of March. I wasn't nervous until the warm-up. My mouth was soooo dry, and I had left my water bottle down by my skate bag, which was, on the other side of the rink. I skated first so I had no time to get it. The ice was much softer than my home ice. I skated against the book, ISI Artistic 1. I placed first. Comments made were "graceful" and "very high spiral" as well as "tentative jumps" yeah.

I just platered a smile on my face and tried feel the music, which is at the heart of Artistic. When I finished, my legs started shaking so bad, I was afraid I'd toepick and fall before I left the ice (oops!). My coach was very proud of me! She prefers her students break-in on ISI comps the first few times before doing any USFSA. I can see why. The whole atmosphere was very friendly. I got lost of applause for almost every move!

I had lots of fun!!!

Oh, yeah, I'm 44.

jazzpants
03-16-2006, 11:20 AM
First comp was Skate San Francisco in 2001. I competed at Pre-Bronze and went against one of our local ladies. Yup, I got the Silver! :P (Shhh... no need to tell it's 2 out of 2! ;)) Yup...scared to death too... particularly when during the warm-up I heard the coach of my competitor say "Okay, now do a lutz..." WTF!?!?! 8O

She's now a Bronze lady. I'm still stuck at Pre-Bronze... :frus: (but I've at least had a decent try at a lutz now!) :mrgreen:

Melzorina
03-16-2006, 11:45 AM
My first competition was in January 06! I skated against 13 people in my group, and came third! It's got three parts to it, so I've got the second section in May!

I was absolutely terrified, I thought I was going to be sick because figure skating is my world.

Mel On Ice
03-16-2006, 12:10 PM
My first competition was at the 2001 Grand Rapids Open. I was a pre-bronze skater skating up to bronze ladies. I was living in St. Louis at the time, and travelled 500 miles to compete. Why, you may ask? I had just moved south, GGR was my original home club and I hadn't met the St. Louis adult skating community yet.

The worst part of competing was I was so scared I decided (or rather my stomach decided) it best not to eat for oh, 3 days prior to competing. I was on a liquid diet as that was all my body would allow, I was that terrified. I also sat in the stands, SWEATING (an impossibility if you have ever sat in the stands at Patterson Ice Arena) arguing with both sides of my brain. "It's okay to withdraw, you're not ready, you're wearing brand new skates.." countered with "you did NOT just drive 500 miles to quit! don't be such a chicken!"

What were my elements... alternating outside 3s to a forward spiral, a 1 foot spin with 2 revolutions, waltz-tap toe-waltz, fussy footwork to a half lutz/toe loop combination, back crossovers to a forward spiral, a crappy half loop, what was supposed to be waltz 3s turned into 3 waltz jumps into a salchow and a two foot spin. I came in 8th out of 9 and got an orange "horse show" ribbon. Man, I remember thinking I was Michelle Kwan out there, when the reality was a scared 31 year old stuffed into a black velvet dress tripping over her toepicks.

The best part of that competition was the fact I approached the event from an attitude of "let's be friends" to my fellow competitiors, complete with frosted acrylic roses (a buck at Walgreens) and teddy bears for everyone. I was worried that my "rah, rah go us" mentality would be met with :roll: but on the contrary, some of the ladies in that particular group have remained my friends to this day. I ran into the woman who won that group last year at AN, and I was surprised to know that she remembered me for my skating (yikes) and my spiritedness afterwards.

I may not win gold, but I always have a lock on Ms. Congeniality.

doubletoe
03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
My first competition was exactly 3 years ago: Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals 2003. I had taken group lessons for 5 years with a few privates thrown in from time to time, then I'd quit completely for 5 years. When I came back, I found out there were now adult competitions, but I didn't like the idea of competing, I just wanted to become a better skater. But my husband convinced me that competing would make me a better skater faster, so I decided to give it a try. I took my Pre-Bronze test, then put together my very first program and took my Bronze test, but messed up and had to re-take it, along with the new moves-in-the-field (which became a requirement the month after my first testing attempt). So I had to spend 5 months learning the MIF, but then I took the Bronze MIF and FS tests and passed both. A few months later, I competed at Sectionals and was amazed to end up 2nd out of 13 in Bronze II (the 36-45 age class, now called Bronze III)! And you know what? It DID make me a better skater faster!

doubletoe
03-16-2006, 12:26 PM
P.S. Forgot to add, I traveled from L.A. to San Francisco for my first competition. I think that's something like 360 miles.

TashaKat
03-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Hiya

My first comp was with my ex-dance partner. We did compulsories ... I still remember them; the Foxtrot, the 14 Step and the Fiesta Tango. If I remember rightly we drew the Foxtrot and 14 Step.

We actually skated quite well (even though I do say so myself :) ). I wasn't at all nervous which shocked me a bit AND the rink had 'better' (aka bigger) corners than our home rink so it was easier to get in and out and if you messed up you didn't get stuck!

The warm up didn't go so well ... my partner pulled me over on the foxtrot mohawk and ricked my neck. Thankfully the two dances didn't really require me to do much in the way of head movement! Thank goodness we didn't get the Tango 8O

After we'd finished we saw that we'd got good marks for our first time out but didn't think much of it, there was a reasonably big field so didn't expect much at all. We were just happy that we'd danced well.

I was about to take my boots off when the presentations started. My coach said to stop faffing around and watch the presentation so I did. They came to our class and started to announce "from Alexandra Palace". We were shocked that the other couple from our rink had *only* got 3rd as they were winning everything in sight at that point. Then they read our names out 8O We were at the opposite side to the rink so we set off running to get to the entrance of the ice. I was half way across the ice ... on my own ... before I remembered to wait for my partner :lol: Anyway, we got a bronze and were very shocked but very pleased :)

The rink was Bracknell (lovely rink) and the comp was the Adult Opens that they have there (great comp). I'm not sure how far away it was, maybe 30-40 miles? It seemed to take forever to get there, I remember that much!

So ... it was a good start :) We went onto get another bronze and two silvers in our next comps so we must have been doing something right :)

Ooooooh, I do miss skating :cry:

TreSk8sAZ
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't remember my first competition as a kid, but my first competition that I I did when I came back to skating was at my home rink. I did pre-pre (I wasn't old enough for adult so was older than the next oldest skater by 5 years) and popped my lutz, but everything else was fine. I was SOOO nervous though! As I've competed and tested, I find I'm less and less nervous before competitions. I'm one of the lucky ones! My coach even commented before Adult Sectionals that it was the calmest she'd ever seen me!

Debbie S
03-16-2006, 01:18 PM
My first competition was the New Year's Invitational (Wash, DC) in January 2004. I hadn't passed any tests at that point (trying to get those dratted alt 3's which are now no longer on Pre-Bronze MIF) and I competed in Pre-Bronze, with our own Terri C :) and 2 others, 1 of whom is now Bronze. It was quite an experience - my coach got lost on the way to the rink (long story) and didn't arrive until literally the minute before I skated (she missed the warm-up and arrived while I was in the locker room waiting while others skated - I skated 4th). I was a complete novice at comps and it didn't occur to me until I was putting on my skates that I should find out the skating order (and I had no idea where skating orders were posted) - fortunately, the mother of another skater from my club who was competing in Young Adult went to find that out for me. (hey, I did remember to check in and give them my music!)

I decided to start the program facing the opposite direction from the way I'd practiced it b/c I was used to finishing facing the bleacher side at home and I noticed during warm-up that the judges were opposite the bleachers. But I ended up going the wrong way (the old way) down the ice after my opening spin and then panicked and wondered if I should stop and skate back the other way - I decided that would look stupid and figured the judges would never know the difference. I accidently added a toe loop after my first sal, which was supposed to be a solo, and didn't even realize it until I got off the ice and my coach told me. So I ended up with 2 sal-toe combos (fortunately, no Zayak rule deductions for singles - lol). I finished 3rd out 4, with 2 1st place ordinals (and Terri was the champ! :) ). The whole time I skated, I just remember thinking how cold it was and how much I hoped that I wouldn't have a..um..wardrobe malfunction or something of that nature. No wonder I didn't realize what jumps I was doing! :lol:

I was so busy watching the other events and looking at my pics that it didn't even occur to me to take my skates off, so I left them on for an hour and a half after I skated until after the medal ceremony, and yep, I got rust. :oops: Fortunately, someone at my rink's pro shop was able to use some kind of oil to get the rust off w/o getting an extra sharpening.

sk8ordie
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I remember my first time... oh the memories.

Although it wasn't anything too formal (it was a frozen pond across my house in western PA), it was an amazing experience. There were 4 of us... all good friends who hid our love of the ice from everyone because of the ridicule. You know how HS boys can be :cry: Anyway... we set-up snowmen as mock judges and began the competition. My friend Stevie looked stunning in his sequence jumpsuit. I, however, couldn't afford anything fancy; just a pair of snow pants, a bright white parka and blue mittens. To make a long story short, I came in 3rd; bronze for me! But, just as Debbie had problems with rust, so did I. You see, the ice cracked and I fell in. I got out, but one my skate's wasn't as lucky. When the spring came and the ice had thawed... well, you can imagine.

TwirlGirl10
03-16-2006, 02:37 PM
My first competiton was at my home rink. I was freaking out about a week before and ended up getting first. After that I was hooked!

VegasGirl
03-16-2006, 02:53 PM
I have a LONG way to go before I can begin to think realistically about competitions- but that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about them already.

Why would you say that?

I started competing about 4 months after taking my first figure skating lesson...

What was your first competition?

ISI Open at our home rink.

How far did you travel for it?

15 minutes down the road. :)

How did you do?

I thought we did well all things concidering. :)

What's your favorite thing about competiting?

Working with my coach putting a program together and perfecting it, the fun exciting atmosphere at the competition and the comradery... just being around all those other people that share the same interest of having fun in figure skating. :)

My first 'solo' competition was an in house a couple months after the open house... and my first (and thus far only) away competition was about 6 months after my first one. It was the Annual Disney Ice ISI Open and it was quite the adventure for me and my daughter. We both competed in individual events and had a couple of long, very exciting and fun days.

flo
03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
In Fairfax, Va, about an hour and 1/2 away. The music was from the Beauty and the Beast TV show. It was great to get to go through my program without dodging kids. I won.

VegasGirl
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention what I skated to... first one with my daughter we skated to 'Straycat Strut' by the Straycats and where dressed as cats (similar to the costumes in the Cats musical).
My first individual was a Gamma routine to 'White Flag' by Dido used the same for my FS1 routine as well. Then for the ISI Adult Champs in addition to the FS1 program I added an Artistic FS1 program that I skated to 'Angel' by Sarah McLachlan. I skated that same Artstic program (with slight additions) at my last comp before moving here but instead of skating the 'White Flag' FS1 program I added a fun FS1 character spotlight program to 'The good, the bad and the ugly' dressed in an inflatable bucking horse costume. :D

Skittl1321
03-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone for posting your stories! What a fun thread to read.

Why would you say that?

Well- the rink shuts down in May- and my first set of lessons is April- May, so by the time I can do anything (assuming I pass Basic 4) I have no ice. And then I'm moving cross-country. So as soon as I get settled, I'll find a job, then some ice, and then start working on it!

Terri C
03-16-2006, 07:23 PM
My first competition was the ISI Distrct 4 competition in 1997 at the Gardens Ice House in Laurel, MD. I roomed with another adult skater that took from the same coach as I did. That weekend was also the World Championships and that night my roomate and I were set to watch when our phone rang. It was one of the skating moms who invited us to join the other parents and skaters in watching Worlds on TV. We did go and watch with them, but called it a early night, as I had my freestyle event at 7:40 the next morning.

PS- the moms had wine and champaign in the room- a idea of things to come!!
BTW- I got first against the book the next morning, as my other two competitors scratched.

VegasGirl
03-16-2006, 08:03 PM
@Terri,

atleast you had competitors eventhough they scratched... So far I've only skated against others skaters and not the book 2 times (out of 6 or was it 7 competitions)! First time competing against a person was at the ISI Adult Champs in Vegas last Summer, second time was about a month later at an in house.

mr7740
03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
My first event at my first competition was Pre-Preliminary Compulsory Moves and I was all of 10 years old. My coach was late and missed it, and then I crashed into the wall on a spiral. It didn't faze me though and I laughed through the rest of the performance. I had expected to get last and if I remember correctly I actually beat one person! I look at pictures now and shudder at the large hairsprayed bangs I had. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2006, 05:13 AM
The rink was Bracknell (lovely rink) and the comp was the Adult Opens that they have there (great comp). I'm not sure how far away it was, maybe 30-40 miles? It seemed to take forever to get there, I remember that much!What year was that, Lynne? My first competition was also at Bracknell, I think in 1998. I was very proud of having passed my Novice Dance, but that didn't help me finish anything other than definitely last place in the solo compulsories and the solo free dance. But everybody really cheered my free dance, for some reason, and people kept saying "You are brave!" which I suppose was meant to be a compliment!

Bracknell is about 40-45 miles from us, too, in South London.

Eight years on, I no longer do solo dance (last time was at Oxford last October), but we still tend to finish last..... sigh! Not invariably, though - and we had our first-ever first-place ordinal from a judge last season, and our first non-default medals, both in free dance! The second time, we even beat our greatest rivals, which was fantastic!

Ooooooh, I do miss skating :cry:So why aren't you skating now?

Mel On Ice
03-17-2006, 08:20 AM
@Terri,

atleast you had competitors eventhough they scratched... So far I've only skated against others skaters and not the book 2 times (out of 6 or was it 7 competitions)! First time competing against a person was at the ISI Adult Champs in Vegas last Summer, second time was about a month later at an in house.

what event were you in? I was there competing FS4.

frbskate63
03-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Annabel, MY first competition was Peterborough in 1997, and you were definitely there too! It was a solo Dutch Waltz, and I finished 8th out of 11. All I can remember was freezing to death, and nearly crashing into the barrier because my legs were too stiff to make my edge curve out of the corner! If the second one had been as bad, I'd have given up then and there.

Fiona

WhisperSung
03-17-2006, 09:20 AM
My first competition was (I'm guessing a smidge at the year) in 1997. It was an ISI competition in Duluth, GA. I skated freestyle 4 (because I didn't quite have my axel at that time). My family drove the 2 hours from our home to go to it. I placed 2nd out of 2 (weren't many people that "high" up in the levels at that time). The girl who won quit a month later, so I competed "against the book" at my next competition. :P

I'm always a nutcase at competitions. I always get so scared and don't really enjoy the experience until I'm done skating. If I did well, *then* I have good memories and am happy. I'm a bit of a weird one ;)

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Annabel, MY first competition was Peterborough in 1997, and you were definitely there too! It was a solo Dutch Waltz, and I finished 8th out of 11. All I can remember was freezing to death, and nearly crashing into the barrier because my legs were too stiff to make my edge curve out of the corner! If the second one had been as bad, I'd have given up then and there.

FionaI remember that one, it was my second competition, so the first Bracknell must have been in 1997, not 1998! I finished tenth, I seem to remember; I was really rather pleased. When I watched a video of it, I remember thinking that I looked a lot better than I had at Bracknell, but I know I made a mistake - I remember coming off the ice thinking "Bother, can't I have another go?!"

Grace, why doesn't Peterborough host that competition any more? It was good fun, even though I only did it once.

samba
03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Grace, why doesn't Peterborough host that competition any more? It was good fun, even though I only did it once.

:lol: :lol: :lol: don't make me laugh, on a really good day our so called "dance club" consists of a matter of about 8 people, but the idea would be nice, but just dont ask cos I aint doing it.

VegasGirl
03-17-2006, 12:38 PM
what event were you in? I was there competing FS4.

I was in FS1 and in Artistic FS1.

mikawendy
03-17-2006, 03:31 PM
My first competition was Halloween Classic 2005. I traveled about 1.5 hours to go to it (stayed overnight with friends in Delaware for free). It was LOADS of fun, both skating and watching friends skate. I skated in a spin event and in freestyle. I was very nervous for both (during my free skate, about 1/2 way through, I was thinking, to heck with how I place, I just want to be finished! but at the same time I was also thinking, wow this is fun). There were things in my program that I could have done better and have since improved a little on, but overall I found it was a good experience for me. It was very inspiring to see other people in my level and other levels trying very challenging stuff.

samba
03-18-2006, 12:51 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: don't make me laugh, on a really good day our so called "dance club" consists of a matter of about 8 people, but the idea would be nice, but just dont ask cos I aint doing it.

Annabel I have just re-read this, this morning and it sounds a bit rude I hope you didn’t take offence, if so my apologies.

Our rink has been revamped since the heady days of competition, it is smaller to accommodate more spectators, we have heavy fire doors (I know, should have been there in the first place) but this allows the changing area to be much warmer, the rink itself is now surrounded by perspex which apart from the safety aspect, also insulates spectators against the cold.

There is now a no smoking policy in the building so the overall smell is so much better, not to mention the health aspects of coming off exhausted only to intake a load of second hand smoke. We still have the problem with the ice from time to time with it being a sand based rink, it will be closed in June for maintenance, boo hoo which means I wont get the practice if I am fit enough to compete, but in general there is a great improvement probably because it was taken over by the big Planet Ice company and also having to comply to safety regulations.

Now all we need is to recruit 30 odd people to join the club but as its on Sunday morning at 9am there are few takers, perhaps if I eventually get more interested in dance myself I may one day take the bull by the horns, I remember the said competition and it was great fun, my son and his partner took part in it, it was designed to save the dance club and it certainly did at the time but interest faded.

Mrs Redboots
03-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Annabel I have just re-read this, this morning and it sounds a bit rude I hope you didn’t take offence, if so my apologies.Not in the least offended!

I remember the said competition and it was great fun, my son and his partner took part in it, it was designed to save the dance club and it certainly did at the time but interest faded.You're a good enough dancer these days that you could enter it yourself! I know it ran for at least two years, as My Friend Liz took part in it both years (the friend I went to the US Adult Nationals with in 1998, if any of you remember that far back!), and recommended it highly, which is why I went in 1997.

fmh
03-18-2006, 11:27 AM
my first competition wasn in 2001, it was about 3 hours drive away from home. i finished 5th out of 12. I've competed ever since them..just because I like it

figure_skater
03-18-2006, 01:46 PM
What was your first competition? it was a competition that was held at my rink and i did alpha

How far did you travel for it? just to my rink

How did you do? 1st place

What's your favorite thing about competing? everything, except falling
8-) :D :roll:

lovepairs
03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
My first competition was in Figures at the Adult Nationals in Lake Placid, 2000. I skated in the adult silver figures competition. This was the last year that figures were included before they banned them for good--BIG MISTAKE.

Nevertheless, even though I came in second to last (I think it was out of a field of 11 competitors) I laid out the final adult silver figure ever. It was a back outside eight and I nailed it! I came in third in that particular figure--a very very very nice memory for me! :P

Perry
03-19-2006, 06:06 PM
My first "competition" was a basic skills club competition where I had to skate up two levels since there was no one in my level. I came in 2nd out of 2, but I still felt like I had accomplished something major.

My first real competition, though, was Skate Cleveland, when I was 5 and in pre-preliminary. I came in first, and I remember all the other mothers complaining because I didn't do a flip jump (hadn't learned one yet) and all the other girls did. Shows how much the lower levels have changed in the past decade! The pre-pre skaters in our rink are working on doubles!

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Nevertheless, even though I came in second to last (I think it was out of a field of 11 competitors) I laid out the final adult silver figure ever. It was a back outside eight and I nailed it! I came in third in that particular figure--a very very very nice memory for me! :PYou'll have to come to the Mountain Cup - figures are still competed there, and the organiser is always so pleased when someone else wants to have a go.

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2006, 04:56 AM
The pre-pre skaters in our rink are working on doubles!They are addressing this problem in this country by putting out programme requirements for the various levels. Skaters competing at the lowest levels are only allowed to put 3 or 4 single jumps or jump combinations in their programme, and a maximum number of spins, too. The test requirements and competition requirements are beginning to match more and more closely.

My own coach requires his pupils to test as they become ready, he won't let them stay down, especially once they begin to be competitive at that level. And they usually do get competitive - he just came back from the first Open of the season with two first places and a couple of 4ths, to his delight. But at least one of the children who took a first is to take her next test very soon.

Having said that, he also won't let you test unless he's fairly sure you'll pass! Which is occasionally a pain, but I do trust him when he says I need deeper edges on my level 3 Dance moves and I know what's wrong with my level 4 Compulsory Dances!

samba
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
They are addressing this problem in this country by putting out programme requirements for the various levels. Skaters competing at the lowest levels are only allowed to put 3 or 4 single jumps or jump combinations in their programme, and a maximum number of spins, too. The test requirements and competition requirements are beginning to match more and more closely.

What a Blessing this is, I can remember years ago watching an open competition in the youngest and lowest level category, a cute little girl with multi-coloured ribbons in her hair came on and I thought awh this is going to be sweet, nothing like it, she was popping doubles like there was no tomorrow which of course was wonderful but totally robbed the other kids that really were at that level. Heaven knows what anyone thinks they are achieving in doing this.

xofivebyfive
03-20-2006, 02:19 PM
For whoever said they competed at the Alpha level, how does one do that.. like, do you just do whatever moves are required in the Alpha level randomly to music? Or do you actually have to have a program? Ha.. I'd like to compete as soon as I can, but I don't actually know how I can do this.

Summerkid710
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
My first competition was Beta in 1981 at age 6. I had a choreographed program to Hard Knock Life from Annie. It was ISI Nationals in the Chicagoland area at a rink in the next suburb over. I got third. I had been skating for a year and a half at that point.

I prefer competing synchro now. I like working out with a team. I find it challenging. We're USFS Adult so we're doing twizzles, brackets, double threes, etc. It's not the old marching/pumping stuff you think of when you think adult synchro.

I haven't competed singles since I was 17 (I'm 30 now) but I am planning on testing Intermediate freestyle and Novice moves. Maybe I'll get back into competing eventually. I just hate jumping which puts a damper on the old freestyle program.

coskater64
03-20-2006, 06:26 PM
My first competition was when I was open-pre juv @ the time I was 15, about 4'9" and 70 lbs. It was memorable, I did a lutz into the wall slapping my head againist the glass, during my sit spin a got a nose bleed and soddened my turqoise dress w/ blood and tripped and fell for my ending one of alley oop falls. It was horrible, I ended up with a concussion, then fainting. I later found out I got
5th place out of 10 mostly for sheer determination. My mother swore never to watch me skate again. I quit @18.

21 years later I skated in a local competition at the age of 36 at the silver level. 5'10" 110 lbs and still pretty slight. This went much better, I skated a clean program landing 2 axels and remaining much more calm. It has been much easier skating as an adult, as a child I had several head injuries 1 that put me in the hospital, damn axel. Thanks to a lot more strength I've had fewer injuries and I enjoy competiting more, mostly because I like all the people I skate againist.

:roll:

VegasGirl
03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
For whoever said they competed at the Alpha level, how does one do that.. like, do you just do whatever moves are required in the Alpha level randomly to music? Or do you actually have to have a program? Ha.. I'd like to compete as soon as I can, but I don't actually know how I can do this.

My daughter (then 7) started competing in Alpha (ISI) and yes, she had a coach put the required moves into a program to music my daughter picked. In ISI you can start competing as soon as you pass pre-alpha... I'm not sure though whether I, as an adult, would have competed prior to Beta (my fist competition level)... I mean the cute little 4 and 5 year olds look adorable even at that level... us adults on the other hand, hm well, how should I put it nicely. :twisted: :halo:

badaxel
03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
It was really fun to read about everyone else's experiences! This is a great thread! My first competition was at Chelsea Piers in NYC, a little more than a year ago. I competed at the Bronze level, and I was so nervous that I promised myself that it would be my first and last competition. Then, I saw the scores and realized I came in 2nd! It's amazing how that can change your point of view! As for how far I traveled, I don't know how far, but it was about an hour on the A train (subway)! It seems to me that every test and every competition, I get a little less nervous. Do other people find that too?

VegasGirl
03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Oops, double post... how did that happen...

samba
03-21-2006, 12:05 AM
It seems to me that every test and every competition, I get a little less nervous. Do other people find that too?

Absolutely not!! how lucky you are, even after nearly 10 years competing, I get so stressed for competition that it somtimes makes me ill and then I go and do it again, yes I know - I need therapy.8O

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Absolutely not!! how lucky you are, even after nearly 10 years competing, I get so stressed for competition that it somtimes makes me ill and then I go and do it again, yes I know - I need therapy.8OYeah, last year in the changing-rooms at Sheffield for the BAC, we were all going "Why do we do this? Why did we think this was fun?" but we all knew quite well we'd be back doing it again, and again, and again.....

beachbabe
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
my first competition was in november. I had all my singles except for axel and loop then (for some reason i can tland loops, still have problems w/it, coach syas i ahve bad technique). I was competing at a local competition at USFSA basic skills freestyle level 4 and I came in third place in my age group b/c I fell on the stupid loop. It was fun overall but a bit of a disaster b/c I didnt get a dress in time and had to skate in a going out little black dress lol.

I want to wait untill i pass juvenile USFSA b4 i do another competition.

beachbabe
03-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, last year in the changing-rooms at Sheffield for the BAC, we were all going "Why do we do this? Why did we think this was fun?" but we all knew quite well we'd be back doing it again, and again, and again.....

OMG sheffield, my favorite place on earth. going back there this summer, soooo excited. haha sry just had to say that

xofivebyfive
03-21-2006, 06:42 PM
My daughter (then 7) started competing in Alpha (ISI) and yes, she had a coach put the required moves into a program to music my daughter picked. In ISI you can start competing as soon as you pass pre-alpha... I'm not sure though whether I, as an adult, would have competed prior to Beta (my fist competition level)... I mean the cute little 4 and 5 year olds look adorable even at that level... us adults on the other hand, hm well, how should I put it nicely. :twisted: :halo:
So I guess I'd need a coach in order to be in a competition?

mikawendy
03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Absolutely not!! how lucky you are, even after nearly 10 years competing, I get so stressed for competition that it somtimes makes me ill and then I go and do it again, yes I know - I need therapy.8O

Samba, maybe that IS your therapy--to distract you from other things that would otherwise make you need therapy! LOL just kidding!

I know how you feel. I have friends who have skated for much longer than I am, and some of them have told me that they are physically ill (throwing up) from the nerves, despite their years of experience.

samba
03-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Samba, maybe that IS your therapy--to distract you from other things that would otherwise make you need therapy! LOL just kidding!

milkawendy. you have just hit the nail on the head!! Much better than Prozac, Valium, or anything else you care to mention.

blisspix
03-22-2006, 06:30 AM
First real comp..... 1994 artistic trophy, state-based competition. I picked my favourite music from Neverending Story because I was a big Woetzel/Steuer fan at the time!

I did not medal. I think I came 4th out of about 14 competitors. Preliminary level so I would have had a sit spin, camel spin, a couple of single jumps etc.

I had a nice white dress made that I wore to several comps because my parents couldn't afford to keep buying dresses, after the 3rd year of competing in it, I dyed it pink to make it look different. ;)

First actual comp.... our equiv. of basic skills, Aussie Skate - I did a little program on half the rink with stroking and crossovers, at Novice 2 level.

crayonskater
03-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't compete, and have no plans to at the moment. I care about skating and improving, it's just that I would feel really lame doing a one-foot spin and a couple of basic jumps. It's certainly not that I think it's lame -- as it's an accomplisment -- but it would be like performing in a beginning ballet class. Okay when you're five and cute. Not so much when you're 26.

I admire anyone who doesn't have that mental block.

It's because, I think, I skate at a college, and the girls I skate with are all former competitive types with their doubles, and very competent spins. Our yearly show includes them, a couple comedy numbers, and local competitive skaters, usually younger kids. Given that I look more or less like a college student skater but have less skills than the five-year old, meh. Not going out there yet.

If there's an adult community at my rink, I haven't heard about it.

Plus, I really suck. Been taking private lessons for a year with breaks for the summers, and I can't reliably do anything more interesting than crossovers. It seems that even the older adults progress faster, so the cost/benefit analysis for me just doesn't work, once you factor in the fees, dress, time & the fact that I am unlikely to place beyond last.

TashaKat
03-22-2006, 02:16 PM
What year was that, Lynne?

1998 with Will :)

I'm pretty sure that I saw you there but didn't 'know' you then. If I remember rightly you were doing something solo, maybe a free dance? I wasn't there on the Free Skating days so I know it was dance related (couldn't get time off work :( ).

So why aren't you skating now?

Not enough time or money :( I've not seen Saff for 10 days now, it's killing me :(

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2006, 03:50 AM
1998 with Will :)

I'm pretty sure that I saw you there but didn't 'know' you then. If I remember rightly you were doing something solo, maybe a free dance? I wasn't there on the Free Skating days so I know it was dance related (couldn't get time off work :( ).Yeah, I don't think I'd started doing artistic/interps back then, can't remember. I do know I did a really pathetic solo free dance, only slightly less pathetic than the previous year, to an instrumental version of "Michelle" - I did it again a few years later, and it was much better! Might revive it sometime and do it with the Husband - it's quite a thought for 2 years' time.....

Not enough time or money :( I've not seen Saff for 10 days now, it's killing me :(Poor you. Poor Saff! You would pick the two most expensive sports in the history of the universe, wouldn't you?!

TashaKat
03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Poor you. Poor Saff! You would pick the two most expensive sports in the history of the universe, wouldn't you?!

Yes, that's me! I always said that if I ever got married I'd need a man who could keep me in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed :)

I was going to go to the adult classes at Queens but I can't afford to go there to practise as it would cost me £9 for what would amount to an hours skating on a public session with millions of kids falling all over. Other rinks are out, too, because I couldn't get there and back in time for work :( As you know Queens isn't exactly a big rink!

I still don't say that I've given up. Am hoping that one day before I'm too cronky to skate again I'll take it up properly.

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2006, 08:57 AM
I was going to go to the adult classes at Queens but I can't afford to go there to practise as it would cost me £9 for what would amount to an hours skating on a public session with millions of kids falling all over. Other rinks are out, too, because I couldn't get there and back in time for work :( As you know Queens isn't exactly a big rink!
And it's cold! And if it's anything like the other rinks right now, the Adult LTS is absolutely heaving! At Streatham, the classes are taking up half the ice, with the poor public squeezed into the other half - 40 or 50 people per class!

aussieskater
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
My first ever, last (and to date only) proper comp was our Nationals last year. Yep - the full-on, real McCoy. And we travelled across the country for it. And won bronze. (So it was out of 3. Who cares? We had an absolute blast, and I have a state jacket and a national medal, just like the ones they give our *real* athletes!! :D )

Now for the rest of the story. I was skating in my first year in the local adult synchro team (oldest member well into her 60s, youngest member 30ish, average age over 50). Because our skating community is so small, the only way adult synchro teams can meet competitors is for our national skating association to add an adult synchro division to the National comp each year.

Hence, we all go to "Nationals", leave the kids at home :twisted: , skate our hearts out, be cheered on by the rest of the state team (you know, all the elite skaters, who are in fact really supportive of us geriatrics), have a blast, drink too much :D , and go home.

Unfortunately, if the local rumour mill is correct, last year may have been the last time there will be an adult synchro division at Nationals. The division seems to be changing (in fact if not in name) into an Open division, peopled by skaters who would otherwise be skating Junior or Senior synchro. I guess there will be a meet somewhere where the Masters level skaters (that's us in reality) can compete, but it doesn't exist yet AFAIK.

As an aside, this might make you smile: our coach used to compete standard track in Canada decades ago, and was skating with the team in the comp. Admiring the pretty medal around his neck, he commented that this was his first comp in almost 40 years. I replied that it was the same for me, but that his last comp was Worlds, and mine was the egg and spoon race age 4. Bit of a difference... :D

gt20001
03-28-2006, 06:05 AM
My first competition was just a week ago and i was sooo nervous going into it. My coach kept asking if i was ready to do it and i was like NO!. She told me i could scratch but i refused to do that becuase i told her that i had to get that first time over with or it would be just as bad next time. I hadnt tested anything i was competing in a basic skills Adult II Level in which they chose the music for you which really was awful. I was soo nervous but i thought that i was doing pretty good through the skate until i got to my second to last move just like someone else on this thread i fell out of my lunge at the end i was soo upset my coach thought i should have gotten second even with my fall considering what all my other moves were but i got 3rd out of 4. I was a bit upset but it just made me that much more determined to do well at my next competition in may this is my first competition where i get to create my own program to my own music on the full ice surface i am really looking forward to it i think it will be easier since i like my music more now and i am not so limited on the moves that i can do although i told my coach NO LUNGES in this program since that is what killed me last time. I will be competing pre bronze after this competition so no more basic skills competitons. I enjoyed it. It was at a rink near my home rink so i didnt go very far.