View Full Version : Aged Rink Rats?

Rusty Blades
03-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Well, it is getting close to the end of the "regular season" and I have been skating my tukus off to try to get my forward edges back before I move on to "spring skate school" (April & May) and "summer skate school" (July & August). With special events and such, ice time schedules are screwy so I have been picking up whatever ice I can get between the two clubs I belong to. I had an hour at one club Saturday, 2 hours Sunday and 2 hours Tuesday at a different club. Next Saturday I am back at the first club for 2 hours, Sunday at the other club for an hour and then 2 hours Tusday and 2 hours the following Sunday. Is that confusing? It IS to me - I have to keep my schedule updated in my PDA to know where and when I have ice!

As I was driving home at 10 p.m. last night, after skating 2 hours (and after being up since 4:30 a.m. and working a full day), I was pleased with my progress but I realized that I am becoming a "rink rat" again at age 56! 8O

Ok creaky knee brigade, what's your skating schedule? Am I the only over-the-hill rink rat or are there others?

Skate@Delaware
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm there so much....I'm the "rink Mom" to tons of the little ones!

Sunday: one hour of show rehearsal, sometimes I stay for club (add 2 hours)
Monday: one hour of ice dance
Tuesday: 2 hours of skating on public
Wednesday: 2 hours of club (with a 30 minute lesson in there somewhere)
Thursday: 1.5-2 hours of skating on public (if I can squeeze it in)
Friday: 1.5-2 hours of public skating; followed by 1 hour of skating (warmup and lesson)
Saturday: rest unless I have a competition, or urgent need to rehearse a show piece, then it's 2 hours of club time!!!!

Darn, I'm tired just typing this!

I'm going to feel absolutely lazy come summer! My rink shuts down and I have to find ice far, far away!!!

Rusty Blades
03-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Sunday: one hour of show rehearsal, sometimes I stay for club (add 2 hours)
Monday: one hour of ice dance
Tuesday: 2 hours of skating on public
Wednesday: 2 hours of club (with a 30 minute lesson in there somewhere)
Thursday: 1.5-2 hours of skating on public (if I can squeeze it in)
Friday: 1.5-2 hours of public skating; followed by 1 hour of skating (warmup and lesson)
Saturday: rest unless I have a competition, or urgent need to rehearse a show piece, then it's 2 hours of club time!!!!

LOL!! Now I feel absolutely LAZY!!!! :roll:

Skittl1321
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
WOW. I wish I could put that much time into skating! I'm a bit committed to ballet right now- my schedule is this.

Monday- nothing!
Tuesday- 1 hour of pilates
Wednesday- 0.5 hour skating lesson, sometimes followed by 2 hour open skate- but rarely because I'd rather do it Friday morning.
Thursday- 1.5 hour of ballet
Friday- 2 hour open skate
Saturday- 2.5 hours ballet, 3 hours rehearsal
Sunday- 1 hour ballet, 3 hours rehearsal

So I can fit some skating time in on Monday- just have to find the money to do that.

Mrs Redboots
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Ok creaky knee brigade, what's your skating schedule? Am I the only over-the-hill rink rat or are there others?Er..... (why don't we have a blushing icon?)... Well, four mornings a week for anything between 1.5 and 2 hours, and occasionally an hour at dance club and/or figure club. And once a month we go to another rink for classes and social dancing..... I don't skate quite as much as some of our coach's kids, but I certainly skate enough to tire me out at times.

dbny
03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Er..... (why don't we have a blushing icon

:oops: :oops: :oops:

icedancer2
03-15-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm starting to feel kind of like a rink rat because I think I'm spending more time, -- aging? Well, at 51, yes, like everyone I am aging.

Sun - 1 hour patch, 2 hours dance with lesson in there sometime
Monday - 1.5-2 hours - maybe get another lesson with primary coach
Tuesday 1.5-2 hours

Wednesday -- sometimes skate 1-2 hours
Thursday - yup, another 1-2 hours

Friday -- maybe, maybe not

Saturday -- day off!! I can do a dance session if I want to...

I'm finding that any more than 3 days in a row I get really really sore -- need a day off!!:)

Cactus Bill
03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Schedule?...hmmmm
Sunday... I have an excersize class then maybe an hour or so of public skating (until my legs die!)
Monday... I do the coffee club with a private lesson over the lunch hour
Tuesday...we have a ice dance session over the lunch hour
Wednesday...Coffee club again with maybe an hour or two at the evening public session
Thursday...no skating but I do have a hour of intro Ballet (for adults) in the evening.
Friday Coffee club yet again, and maybe several hours during the public zoo...oops I mean public session :oops:
Saturday...Ice dance class then often several hours of public in either the afternoon or (if I'm feeling really brave) evening.

What's a life????:roll:

racytracy
03-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Monday - 2 hr. public session and 1 hr. freestyle session
Tuesday - 4hr (sometimes more) public session. my lesson is this day also
Wednesday - i can't skate at all because of class but have 1 hr of ballet
Thursday - 2 hr public session
Friday -i can't skate at all because of work
Saturday - 2 hr public session
Sunday - i can't skate at all because of work

SkatingOnClouds
03-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Ok creaky knee brigade, what's your skating schedule? Am I the only over-the-hill rink rat or are there others?

On the subject of creaky knees, I have recently found out that my worsening knee problems were not a degenerative or arthritic condition, it's just that my knee cap wasn't moving in the right place. Some exercises and taping the knees, and probably orthotics to come, and 2 doctors and a physio reckon I can fix my knees. Yay! Maybe an ex-creaky-knee brigade member in a couple of months. :lol:

As for being a rink rat, I wish !!!:roll: I'd be there every day if I could. As it is I manage 2 hours on Wednesday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning, although I also managed to get in Monday night this week as it was a public holiday. Starting to realise just how much it is costing me though, no wonder I'm broke!

Skate@Delaware
03-16-2006, 11:10 AM
LOL!! Now I feel absolutely LAZY!!!! :roll:
Oops, I didn't add my gym schedule....
Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 30 minutes of weightlifting with a personal trainer working on legs, shoulders and arms and 30 minutes of cardio (treadmill, rowing machine or bike)
Tuesday or Thursday: same as above but alternating to back, abs and other areas of the body that need further abuse by my personal trainer, and 30 minutes of cardio

I will be the one feeling lazy come summer. Our rink closes 15 April until 6 September. I usually skate only 2-4 times a month over the summer, but might have an option for more at a new facility if it comes through (fingers crossed).

I've fought too damn hard to lose this weight for it to come back!!!! Bikini season is coming up and for once I'd like to wear one!!!!!!!

phoenix
03-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Sundays: 1.5 hours w/ my partner
Mondays: 30 - 45 minutes squeaked in after I finish teaching
Tuesdays: off
Wed.: 1/2 hour lesson w/ partner, another hour or so practice
Thur: 1 hour on my own
Fri: 1/2 hour private lesson, another hour on my own
Sat: usually off

I've been thinking I need to do longer sessions when I can, to help w/ stamina. Can't always do that, but might try.

I also teach about 4.5 hours a week & with my higher students I often follow along behind them, just for a little extra exercise (not to mention helps w/ staying warm!).

Skate@Delaware
03-17-2006, 10:07 AM
I put my name in the hat to help instruct next season...with hubby's tentative blessing (since I'm there so much anyway I might as well get paid for it and snag some free ice time):roll:

Sometimes I hang around on Tuesdays and help teach the super-swizzlers their show routine (swizzle to the blue line, turn backwards, 1/2 swizzle to the red line circle 2 times, wiggle to the other side of the rink, 2 foot spin, end).......some of them don't want to hold hands with each other and they all want to hold my hand....so I make them keep up or they don't get to :twisted:

Next year I'm not doing the in-house competition either (I won't be eligible). I might be a judge8O At least I'll get to sit down and watch all the skaters (for once).