View Full Version : Freeskate competition

Alicia
03-14-2006, 10:22 AM
My daughter enters her first freeskate competion. It's a club hosted event.

She has no coach but her elements are fine. I'm going for 2 two hour public skates to give her a routine with 3 sections. I'm thinking:

1. Start 3-turn at beginning of music,
2. from 3-turn go into ccw's B-XO's and then into a figure 8 with BXO's.
3. come out of figure 8 and do backward spiral (count to three)
4. finish first section with T-stop.

1. From T-stop start jump routine (3 waltz jumps, back to back)
2. 180 to forward skate.
3. three consecutive skips to gain speed
4. spiral in front of judges. Hold 3 seconds.
5. foot drag to slow down.

1. from foot drag to two foot spin.
2. from two foot spin to 1 foot sit spin (1 rev)
3. come out of sit spin to 1 foot spin (3 rev)
4. End of free skate.

How does it sound. She can do all these elements quite well.

Isk8NYC
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
If your plans are in line with the competition guidelines, go for it!

phoenix
03-14-2006, 10:35 AM
If it's an ISI competition, just make sure you don't put in any elements that are above the competition level she's entering. They're not allowed to skate "up", as in doing higher elements, & would get deductions for it.

For example, I have a student entering a basic skills competition--she's doing the freeskate for Basic 7/8, since the highest level she's passed is 8. So we can't have her do a 1/2 flip in her program, since that element isn't learned until FS 1.

Alicia
03-14-2006, 10:36 AM
For this event, there are no guidelines. I'm sure that all the others will have coaches and a routine. It could be a bad experience if there are others without a coach or a routine!!

Isk8NYC
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Phoenix - The ISI doesn't have a big foothold in Canada, this poster's stated home, so the competition guidelines would probably be CanSkate.

Alicia - please tell me you're joking with this quote:

If she doesn't do too well at the competion, I'll say something along the lines, "It was nice of you to let the others be the fools of the year!!"

Alicia
03-14-2006, 10:53 AM
She is quite popular with the other tots that are serious. And I'm sure it's in the clubs best interest to ensure nobody gets their feelings hurt. Thus, there will be no "winners or losers" and they will all do well!!

twokidsskatemom
03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:
I dont get it, are you a coach? She must be super talented to go from waltz standing still to three in a row with speed and a sit spin.Wow, lot of progress.

11-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Alicia
Registered User Join Date: Nov 2005

Competition for 6 year old daughter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter has been skating since 3 (if you can call flopped over a chair skating)!
I put her into skating lessons just before she turned 5 and she immediately earned her Canskate level 1.
When she was 5, she earned her level 2 and 3 and skated about 3 times a week (2X in group lessons and a two hour family skate). Last summer I introduced her to private lessons for two weeks.
She has just turned 6 (Nov.1) and she skates 4 times a week (2X in group, 1X in private and a family skate).

She is now showing interest in competion but her level does not seem good enough to compete. She loves spinning, two foot jumps forward to back and backward to forward while gliding, doing a waltz jump from stationary. There is even one child her size that seems so much better (I don't know how at 6 years old!). I have instructed her coach to make skating fun and not serious as I like it that she is enthusiastic about skating and I don't have to drag her for lessons. Her coach is a young man. She has a very friendly yet competitive nature and I am wondering if anyone who has experience can suggest how I should introduce her to skate competition?

I am not a figure skater so please do not use terminology that I would not understand.