View Full Version : PSA Basic Accreditation Test

dbny
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Has anyone here ever taken it? If so, any info is greatly appreciated. Some of us are thinking about it, but would like to have a clue before going ahead. I actually paid $15 for the PSA study guide for the Group Instruction test, only to find that it is full of questions with NO answers! Boy did I feel ripped off :x.

Isk8NYC
03-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. The study guide's only $15? I thought it was $30.

I need to get started on BA now that it looks like my life is quieting down somewhat. I've been a PSA member for some time, and it's the next step.

I'd be interested in knowing the test structure: is it open book, essay, multiple GUESS?

dbny
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. The study guide's only $15? I thought it was $30.

The price may have been reduced since I bought it at an annual conference.

Alicia
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
only to find that it is full of questions with NO answers! Boy did I feel ripped off :x.

Usually you buy the answer booklet separate from the study guide!!

Isk8NYC
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Alicia - How long ago did you buy the PSA test booklet and answer sheet? It's not separate on their order form.

Alicia
03-14-2006, 11:19 AM
The Washington State Exam comes with a study guide and answer booklet and they are priced separately. Probably because the study guide gets answers written in it and can't be reused like the answer booklet can.

phoenix
03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
I think perhaps you're talking about 2 different things?

dbny
03-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Usually you buy the answer booklet separate from the study guide!!

There is no answer booklet. You better believe I asked about it right then and there. I think you must have the PSA exams confused with something else. They are not statewide, but national.

dbny
03-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I just got an answer from a friend. I had forgotten that she had taken the test several years ago. It is multiple choice, and there may have been a bit of writing about nutrition, but since she also took the Sports Med exam, I think that is what she was recalling.

Funny thing - she told me that the only question she missed was about how many edges there are. IMO, the answer depends on exactly how the question is phrased. If the question is "how many edges does a blade have?", then, of course the answer is 2. But, if the question is "how many edges are there?" then the answer is 8. She said she put "8", but they marked it wrong, saying that there are "16" 8O. That is definitely 8 more than I have ever heard of. I think they made a mistake.

Clarice
03-15-2006, 03:42 PM
I took it a couple of years ago. It isn't really very difficult, if you pretty much memorize the study guide. It's multiple choice, and doesn't really require too much application of knowledge - just spit back what you read. There were some pretty strange questions, though, as I recall - for instance, you need to know what "PSA" stands for. There were a couple of questions where you had to choose the proper tracing for a move, and I don't remember the study guide having pictures of tracings anywhere. They show you a bunch of examples and ask which is the correct tracing for a 3-turn, for instance. I think the other one was a toe loop, but I'm not sure. Good luck!

Isk8NYC
06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm taking this exam at the end of the month, so I started collecting bits and pieces of information from everywhere. Figured I'd post it here to help out anyone else studying for the BA.

Most of the info covered in the basic exam is in the study guide. The "skating" technique questions are pretty obvious things like drawing a 3 turn versus mohawk, being able to identify basic jumps, level of a dance, etc. Use the study guide to help prepare for the rest!

Its questions about 3 turns, mohawks (how to draw), I'd say up to Basic 8 as far as I remember.But, if it's multiple guess (LOL), how does one draw on the exam paper? (Oh, wait, Clarice has answered that already (above.)

Anyone know if it includes level-specific questions such as "What's required for ISI Freestyle 2" or "What elements are on Basic 5?"

Isk8NYC
06-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Here's what I found last night:

For the sports science exams, all the answers come straight from the book or common sense.For the basic accreditation exam, I was prepared for what came from the study guide, but surprised to see technical questions, too.Luckily, I didn't have too much difficulty, but it was not expected. Diagrams, terms, way back to VERY basic stuff that so many of us may take for granted. Diagrams and terms, huh? It would be nice if the study guide just had a summary of the types of questions to expect. That would have caught me off-guard if someone hadn't told me about it in advance.

renatele
06-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't have anything useful to add to this thread, just wanted to let you know that I am watching it with a lot of interest, so if you find out something more, do post!

Isk8NYC
06-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I guess it's just because of the rinks I work at, but very few people have gone the PSA route in this area. The general consensus is that, if you were a decent skater who took the freestyle/MITF/figures tests, you don't need the PSA. (Yes, many of the directors who WERE skaters do assume that if you can skate, you can teach. I personally think that the two are independent skills, but when they come together, it's great for the students.)

We're planning to relocate soon and most of the skating directors I talked to while researching areas require at minimum the BA exam.

So, I have no one to really guide me through the test, so I'm just studying everyday and trolling the 'net looking for tips.

Why the interest Renata? Do you plan to take the PSA tests in the future?

Isk8NYC
06-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Here's my homework for the weekend:

Draw and label the following: 3turn, rocker, counter, and bracket.
(A forward and backward outside will suffice; give yourself bonus points for doing the insides as well.)

Include the direction of travel, the edge labels, and the correct upper body position.

Answer the following:

What do you look for in a student who touches down on the second half of a LFO three-turn?

renatele
06-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Why the interest Renata? Do you plan to take the PSA tests in the future?

Yes. Longer reply in PM :)

renatele
07-05-2006, 10:25 AM
I've read in another thread that you took the test on Friday. How did it go? Do you mind sharing any info?

Here's my homework for the weekend:

Draw and label the following: 3turn, rocker, counter, and bracket.
(A forward and backward outside will suffice; give yourself bonus points for doing the insides as well.)

Include the direction of travel, the edge labels, and the correct upper body position.

Answer the following:

What do you look for in a student who touches down on the second half of a LFO three-turn?

dbny
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
The very first question was, as Clarice said, "What does PSA stand for?" Interestingly, the PSA logo and "Professional Skaters Association" was at the top of the answer sheet! I figured if you got that one wrong, they just threw away the whole thing. :lol: The edge question was on there, but as I suspected, my friend had it all garbled up. They wanted to know how many basic edges there are, and neither 4 nor 8 were choices. The study guide had several mistakes in it, and one of them was spectacular: "Alcohol is bad for your heart because it contains so much cholesterol." Who writes these things, anyway??? Again, like Clarice said, if you read the study guide, and make a point of memorizing any stats and terms you are not already familiar with, you should be OK. Mind you, we don't get the results for four to six weeks.

renatele
07-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Study guide - do you mean the "Ratings Guide to Sample Questions: Group" one?

4-6 weeks wait sounds like a real torture ;) Doesn't sound like it was too difficult though, so I'm sure you did fine.

I find PSA's site very frustrating to find any info on anything; it just confuses me.

Edited to add: ah, the info packet that PSA sent me says that "a study guide is included in the fee when applying to take the (BA) exam".

Isk8NYC
07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
... the info packet that PSA sent me says that "a study guide is included in the fee when applying to take the (BA) exam".That's correct: when we signed up online for the BA exam, they emailed each of us a pdf attachment containing the study guide.

Be aware that the BA EXAM study guide doesn't contain any tracings. I knew this and studied all of the turns using my ISI manuals. However, the PSA sometimes uses what they call "proper" tracings, which are different from the ISI manual illustrations. (DBNY: Is "proper" the term they used on the test?)

For example, a three turn in the ISI manual is drawn as a half-circle, a "point" and then the other half-circle. The PSA "proper" tracing is drawn as a half-circle, a space, and then the other half-circle. The explanation is that the turn occurs during the gap when blade contact is transferred from one edge to the other.

I wonder if the higher-level tests' study guides include these "proper" tracings. It would have been helpful to have them when studying for these questions.

As to their website - the information's all there about the ratings, but there are some "easter eggs" in odd places that explain things better from my viewpoint. For example: LINK (http://www.skatepsa.com/Ratingsystemrequirements.htm) I will say that the membership package mailing explaining the system is excellent.

renatele
07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Be aware that the BA EXAM study guide doesn't contain any tracings. I knew this and studied all of the turns using my ISI manuals. However, the PSA sometimes uses what they call "proper" tracings, which are different from the ISI manual illustrations. (DBNY: Is "proper" the term they used on the test?)

For example, a three turn in the ISI manual is drawn as a half-circle, a "point" and then the other half-circle. The PSA "proper" tracing is drawn as a half-circle, a space, and then the other half-circle. The explanation is that the turn occurs during the gap when blade contact is transferred from one edge to the other.

That's good to know, thanks for bringing it up. While I do know about that "gap" in 3s, I'm definitely more used to seeing "usual" tracing diagrams.

How much time do they give for the BA exam (I might have seen this mentioned somewhere... don't remember)? Did you feel rushed?

dbny
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
How much time do they give for the BA exam (I might have seen this mentioned somewhere... don't remember)? Did you feel rushed?

There were 100 multiple choice questions and we had an hour. I finished in plenty of time and went back to 3 questions that I had waited on. Then I spot checked my answers to make sure I hadn't gotten the answer sheet out of step with the test book. Still had about 20 minutes left. BTW, I'm pretty sure that they got one of the questions wrong, but I don't argue on the answer sheet. Given the poor quality of the study guide, I wasn't surprised.

Isk8NYC
07-15-2006, 08:05 PM
I passed! Now I get the joy of taking Oral Ratings.

twokidsskatemom
07-15-2006, 11:42 PM
:bow: I passed! Now I get the joy of taking Oral Ratings.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

many CONGRATS!!!!!:bow:

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I passed! Now I get the joy of taking Oral Ratings.CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

renatele
07-16-2006, 12:18 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!

(never had a doubt you'd pass...)

dbny
07-16-2006, 01:05 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

Isk8NYC
07-17-2006, 09:10 PM
DBNY's too modest to brag, but she passed too!
(Her certificate came today)

Party on maties!

twokidsskatemom
07-17-2006, 09:30 PM

Party on maties!

many congrats !!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

renatele
07-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Party on maties!

YAYYYY! C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!

dbny
07-18-2006, 12:03 AM

Party on maties!

:oops: Aw, thanks folks. I actually was going to post, but was ridiculously busy today.

Mrs Redboots
07-18-2006, 05:36 AM
Congratulations DB!

Lippylulu
07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Congratulation Staten island skaters!!! Wohooooo

AshBugg44
07-22-2006, 08:11 PM

I'm just beginning to look into PSA stuff, and I was wondering what exactly the oral ratings entail. Sounds scary!

Isk8NYC
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Bumping for interested parties.

sk8lady
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Congratulations!

Keep current on those tracings...my oral ratings examiners were ALL OVER ME about the 3-turn tracing because I said it looked like a 3 (ISI style). Hate to tell them but I've never seen one that looked like the one they drew for me!

CoachPA
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Just registered to take the exam online today. There's a little "Wait" button beside my course, so I haven't been able to open the study guide yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to once the PSA sees I have completed all 4 of my online e-learning courses.

I have until 2/15/09 to take the exam. For those of you who have taken it, how long did you study/prepare for the exam (the full 90 days or less)? What percentage of questions did you need to answer correctly to pass?

CoachPA
11-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I am officially registered for my BA Exam! Since this is two days after I actually paid for the exam, the PSA gave me two additional days to complete the exam, so instead of the course expiring on 2/15/09, I now have until 2/17/09. I was kind of getting worried about this since I couldn't access the studyguide until that darn "Wait" button disappeared, but I will have the full 90 days to complete the exam after all. (Speaking of studyguide, it apparently has not changed since you took the exam, Isk8NYC.)

Isk8NYC
11-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I spent about two weeks studying, but I didn't have anyone to guide me -- the rinks I taught at didn't really care about PSA membership, nevertheless ratings. You're lucky in that you could pick the brains of your fellow PSA-rated coaches. Don't be afraid to ask for guidance from them. Good luck.

I think someone who took the test said something about the study guide being wrong about alcohol, but I don't remember if it came up on the exam itself.