View Full Version : Basics in Rhode Island

hutchndi
03-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place, but we (me and my wife, both in 40s) are looking for basic skating lessons in Rhode Island, preferably in Warwick. There is Warwick Figure Skaters here, but for children only, we pretty much need to start from the bottom, we hardly stay upright at the moment. :cry:

Thanks a bunch..

hutchndi

garyc254
03-13-2006, 12:44 PM
You don't necessarily need to go to a figure skating club to get basic training. Check with all of your local rinks and see if the rinks offer adult beginner group lessons.

If not, they may be able to hook you up with a coach that would give you both a "group" private lesson although that will be more expensive.

`

blue111moon
03-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Warwick Figure Skaters Basic Skills program accepts adults. It's the end of the season now but it might be worth going there are checking out their sessions.

There's also Pawtucket and Providence FSC. I'm pretty sure their rink has basic skills Learn to Skate.

Isk8NYC
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Call the rink and ask to speak with the skating school director.
S/He can recommend or assign an instructor for you.

You can also contact the Club with the same question. Their instructors/coaches aren't exclusive to children - perhaps they teach adults during different sessions, such as the public sessions.

hutchndi
03-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Call the rink and ask to speak with the skating school director.
S/He can recommend or assign an instructor for you.

You can also contact the Club with the same question. Their instructors/coaches aren't exclusive to children - perhaps they teach adults during different sessions, such as the public sessions.

Called the rink and WFS and got a recommendation. Looks like I got us an instructor, pretty inexpensive compared to what I am seeing posted, maybe we will actually be having some fun on the ice down the road, rather than just being deer in headlights.

hutchndi

Isk8NYC
03-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Congrats! Hope you have lots of fun together. Who knows? Maybe you'll be posting about the Adult Nationals schedule someday!

garyc254
03-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Very cool!!!

Welcome to the ice world!!

8-)

CanAmSk8ter
03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
If you're looking for practice time, there's a rink in Smithfield too. AFAIK those are the only three in RI, unless there are some prep schools with rinks. Have fun, and don't worry, the deer in headlights look will be gone before you know it!

hutchndi
03-17-2006, 12:54 PM
If you're looking for practice time, there's a rink in Smithfield too. AFAIK those are the only three in RI, unless there are some prep schools with rinks. Have fun, and don't worry, the deer in headlights look will be gone before you know it!

Yep, we may check that rink out too, as unfortunately Thayer (where the coach usually teaches) closes for the month of April (plus a week or so before and after) just about the time we are expecting our skates to arrive and get fitted. I imagine the ice will be just as hard in Smithfield (ouch).

(( ))
8O

hutchndi

hutchndi
05-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Well we finally got our skates (what a difference!) and had our first lesson. I think we are going to like this....

hutchndi

Isk8NYC
05-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Congrats! Now you can post in the "On Ice" weekly thread!