View Full Version : Gym instructors and skating?

tidesong
03-13-2006, 09:22 AM
My skating season is over at last after my last competition and it was a rather late season, I was trying to graduate from university during most of the first part of it. Now that I've gotten a job and settled down into a more regular schedule I'm thinking of perhaps going to the gym (one relatively affordable one just opened near me) to see if it can help me gain some stamina and core strength before the competitions start coming again. I'm not sure if the gym instructors have ever worked with figure skaters (likely not, since we are a rare breed here) and I dont really know what else I could work on. And I'm afraid of doing things that would conflict with my skating. Does anyone have advice on this? I talked to one of them, and I didnt feel good about it, my sister suggests another one who she felt was better and I will have to talk to the other one and I'm not sure if there is anything I can mention that could possibly help me and the instructor understand what I need. So looking for some advice here if possible thanks.

Isk8NYC
03-13-2006, 09:26 AM
A gym instructor SHOULD know the term "core body strength."

Pilates and yoga are very good for flexibility and core body strength.

Focus also on endurance and stamina.

Areas to strengthen are hip flexors, gluts, abdominals, and neck/shoulders. (The neck/shoulders help improve posture, line, and flow.)

Clarice
03-13-2006, 11:07 AM
You want to work for strength and endurance, but not bulk, so whatever exercises you do, you should be doing more repetitions with lighter weights. I once belonged to a YMCA where they wanted me to increase the weight load as soon as I could complete 12 repetitions at any given weight. The idea was to exhaust the muscle in fewer repetitions. This is NOT what you want to be doing.

cecealias
03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I would agree with Clarice. I've had trainers that have tried to weight train me to exhaustion and it's really ineffective for skating.

For Core Training:
The best trainer i've worked with was a really good pilates instructor and we worked on a lot of core with and without the reformer. Some instructors are very laid back so the quality varies.

For Stamina Training:
The best way I think to get cardio endurance for things like skating programs and moves in the field is long distance running (5K or longer) or swimming. Cycling works for some people but it's too easy to "coast" if you're not training properly.

Any long distance sport where you have to keep your heart rate elevated nonstop for at least 8 minutes or longer - no breaks is the best way to train stamina IMHO. The key is to increase time and distance as you train. If you can run a 5K, a 3 minute double runthrough program on the ice is no problemo.

cassarilda
03-13-2006, 03:42 PM
My hubby is a gym instructor in training... and he's a skater... :D pity you arent in Melbourne, Oz... :(

But yes, core body strength is important... and you can work that in the gym, and most gym instructors should know about that!!! I would hope so anyway!

stamina is done by more running, cycling and skating :) Hubby suggests skating through your program 3 times, one after another, and when you can do that without dying, youre fit!! :D

beachbabe
03-13-2006, 04:42 PM
well the gym instructors are pretty good at getting their job done, i had a personal trainer at one point last year to help get me back in to skating shape. well all i can say is that its hard to get a personal trainer without breaking the bank, I eventually had to stop b/c it was lowering my private skate lesson budget.

on the whole I'd reccomend getting about 4 hrs or so with the trainer so they egt your workout schedule done and then stop, b/c you really don't need someone standing over you lifting weight telling you to "push harder, 5 4 3 2 1"

tidesong
03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
I love you people for the amazing amount of knowledge and the willingness to share! Thanks for the tips Isk8NYC , Clarice and cecealias I will be writing some down for reference on my next trip to the gym.

I dont like doing cardio in the gym, and am going to pick swimming back up and continue my runs in the park... but ok 5km! I have only been coasting around 2km runs.

@cassarilda: Thanks I would love to be able to run through my 2 and a half minute program three times in a row, but I can barely get through once during practise which is why after the competition I'm all ready to work harder for next year!

@beachbabe: I was thinking of that too, getting some personal time to get the basics right and then after that I should be quite good on my own.

Thanks all of you!

cecealias
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Here something that would help you for stamina and endurance training in skating....

=============================================
Fitness can be measured by the volume of oxygen you can consume while exercising at your maximum capacity. VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen in milliliters, one can use in one minute per kilogram of body weight. Those who are more fit have higher VO2 max values and can exercise more intensely than those who are not as well conditioned. Numerous studies show that you can increase your VO2 max by working out at an intensity that raises your heart rate to between 65 and 85% of its maximum for at least 20 minutes three to five times a week. A mean value of VO2 max for male athletes is about 3.5 litres/minute and for female athletes it is about 2.7 litres/minute.

Factors affecting VO2 max

The physical limitations that restrict the rate at which energy can be released aerobically are dependent upon:

* the chemical ability of the muscular cellular tissue system to use oxygen in breaking down fuels
* the combined ability of cardiovascular and pulmonary systems to transport the oxygen to the muscular tissue system

Improving your VO2 max

The following are samples of Astrands (a work physiologists) workouts for improving oxygen uptake :

* (1) - Run at maximum speed for 5 minutes. Note the distance covered in that time. Let us assume that the distance achieved is 1900 metres. Rest for five minutes, and then run the distance (1900 metres) 20% slower, in other words in six minutes, with 30 seconds rest, repeated many times. This is equal to your 10 Km pace
* (2) - Run at maximum speed for four minutes. Note the distance covered in that time. Rest for four minutes. In this case we will assume the you run a distance of 1500 metres. Now run the same distance 15% slower, in other words in 4 minutes 36 seconds, with 45 seconds rest, repeated several times. This approximates to a time between the athlete's 5 Km and 10 Km time
* (3) - Run at maximum effort for three minute. Note the distance covered in that time. The distance covered is, say 1000 metres. Successive runs at that distance are taken 10% slower or at 3 minutes 18 seconds, with 60 seconds rest, repeated several times. This approximates to your 5 Km time
* (4) - Run at maximum effort for five minutes. Note the distance covered in that time. The distance covered is 1900 metres. Rest five minutes. The distance is now covered 5% slower with one and a half minutes rest. This is approximately 3K pace for you, i.e., five minutes 15 seconds/1900 metres
* (5) - Run at maximum effort for three minutes. The distance covered is 1100 metres. When recovered, the athlete then runs the same distance 5% slower, i.e., three minutes nine seconds/1100 metres, with one minute rest, repeated several times. This is at 3 Km pace

When and how often

It is suggested that in the winter sessions (1) and (2) are done weekly, and in the track season sessions (3), (4) and (5) are done weekly by runners from 800 metres to the half-marathon. Although it would be convenient to use the original distance marks made by the duration efforts, this doesn't take into account the athlete's condition before each session, so the maximum effort runs must be done on each occasion when they may be either more or less than the previous distance run. The maximum duration efforts are in themselves quality sessions. If the pulse rate has not recovered to 120 beats per minute in the rest times given, the recovery period should be extended before the repetitions are started. The recovery times between the reps should be strictly adhered to. These workouts make a refreshing change from repetition running. When all five sessions are completed within a month, experience shows substantial improvements in performance.

More at: http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/vo2max.htm

Skate@Delaware
03-14-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't like to run AT ALL but I hit the treadmill and put it at 3-4 mph pace and incline it...go for about 20-30 minutes, then hit the weights. I've been rehabilitating my upper body so I'm building up some muscle with that, as well as putting some strength back into my lower body. Squats and lunges and stuff. I do crunches on the ball, back extensions, and a whole slew of back stuff as well. Depends on how I feel and if I'm feelin' the "mojo"!!! Hey, I get some slack-I'm 44 and in better shape now than I was in high school!

Kelli
03-14-2006, 09:06 PM
* (1) - Run at maximum speed for 5 minutes. Note the distance covered in that time. Let us assume that the distance achieved is 1900 metres. Rest for five minutes, and then run the distance (1900 metres) 20% slower, in other words in six minutes, with 30 seconds rest, repeated many times. This is equal to your 10 Km pace
* (2) - Run at maximum speed for four minutes. Note the distance covered in that time. Rest for four minutes. In this case we will assume the you run a distance of 1500 metres. Now run the same distance 15% slower, in other words in 4 minutes 36 seconds, with 45 seconds rest, repeated several times. This approximates to a time between the athlete's 5 Km and 10 Km time

Holy crap! To put these numbers in perspective, 1 mile = 1600 meters. When I was doing half mile repeats to train for the half marathon I ran this past Sunday :D I would run them in 4.5 minutes or so. If anyone's doing 1900 meters in 5 minutes for cross-training, I'd suggest you're in the wrong sport!

Otherwise, VO2 max is good stuff, and definitely worth reading about.

This may have been an entirely unnecessary post to mention that I RAN A HALF MARATHON. Deal with it. :D

Skate@Delaware
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Holy crap! To put these numbers in perspective, 1 mile = 1600 meters. When I was doing half mile repeats to train for the half marathon I ran this past Sunday :D I would run them in 4.5 minutes or so. If anyone's doing 1900 meters in 5 minutes for cross-training, I'd suggest you're in the wrong sport!

Otherwise, VO2 max is good stuff, and definitely worth reading about.

This may have been an entirely unnecessary post to mention that I RAN A HALF MARATHON. Deal with it. :D
WOW!:bow:
I met a guy at the rink yesterday (he was sort of annoying at first-doing hockey guy skating) but he was cross-training for a marathon. Once I started talking to him, he was very nice (and VERY much in shape).
My coach makes me run through my program 2-3 times. The only thing that holds me back is my asthma.

cecealias
03-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Well the numbers for V02 max I posted in distance are just assumptions, they're for elite atheletes. You can use it as a guideline to create your own training program.

There is actually a calculator on that site that will tell you your fitness level based on how many minutes it takes you to run any distance. This is for races but is also good if you run a few kilometers and take your time on a stopwatch.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/vo2race.htm

From there you can compare yourself on the fitness chart and assess what you need to work on etc. In general, if it takes you more than 10 minutes to run just one mile by itself, you really need to work on endurance. And I don't mean one mile as part of a triathlon

Raye
03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I DO NOT RUN - HATE IT!!! To increase my stamina on-ice, my coach has me run through my program music three times... first time through I do the program as if I was competing or testing, with all the elements, then the music starts again for second time through - just edges and stroking around the rink,then the music starts again for the third run through which is the framework of the program without actually jumping or spinning. We just started doing this a few months ago and I am already beginning to feel the difference. The first time she had me do this I thought I was going to die.....:giveup:

sarahmom3
03-18-2006, 03:30 PM
HI There all,
I'm a newbie here, but I had to jump in on this thread. My 11 year old DD is te skater. She's been skating for about 3 years. I'm still learning about the sport of figure skating, but one thing I do know, is how to increase endurance. Im a distance runner and have been for about 15 years.

Things like max vo2 are great to know about if you're a competitive runner. In that case, your running is very specified for a desired result. Usually vo2 numbers are based on Persosnal records for distances of 5k-10k. You need to run a lot of these to get a realistic #. IMO it's only for elite atheletes.

For the average person , weekend warrior:), increasing endurance can be easily done. You don't have to run for consecutive minutes to exhaustion to increase endurace..that sort of workout is used to increase speed, which is way different from increasing endurance.

The easiest way to increase endurance is to start a running program implementing walk breaks. Run easy for about 5 mins then add a 1 min walk break, after your break, start running again. repeat this 5/1 interval for 20 mins. If it's easy for you, try a 6/1 interval or a 7/1 interval next time until you can run for 20 mins.

I have run 18 marathons and when I'm startng to build up phase, I'll use a 10/1 ratio for my long runs.

Anyway, DD loves to jog and right now we do a 8/1 ratio for about 30 mins. Right now she is a freestyle 6 instructional level and just about never gets winded working out on her programs. I think the jogging helps her. She may love skating now, but actually my fingers are crossed she'll like X country or track better when she gets in HS! Plus running is a heck of alot cheaper than skating, kwim?!
Sarah's Mom

stardust skies
03-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I dont like doing cardio in the gym, and am going to pick swimming back up and continue my runs in the park... but ok 5km! I have only been coasting around 2km runs.

But cardio is the *only* thing that will improve your stamina/endurance...so if that's why you're going to the gym it's pointless to go unless you do mainly cardio.

I agree that to improve core strength, pilates is the best way. Amazing results.

Also you said you were concerned about doing things that were bad for skating, well, running is pretty bad on the knees. I've always been told never to do it, or even run on a treadmill. I use elliptical trainers or bike machines. Works just as well, but no stress on the knees. You need those joints to last as long as they can, and running puts a LOT of unnecessary stress on them.

sarahmom3
03-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Running is only bad on the knees if you run on hard surfaces like concrete, or if you are predisposed to knee injuries. Running on the treadmill or soft surfaces like sand, grass, tracks or even asphalt should not hurt your knees. Running is the best way to increase endurance.

jazzpants
03-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Running is only bad on the knees if you run on hard surfaces like concrete, or if you are predisposed to knee injuries. Running on the treadmill or soft surfaces like sand, grass, tracks or even asphalt should not hurt your knees. Running is the best way to increase endurance.I don't know... it certainly ruined my lower back joint down the line, even w/treadmills insteadof concrete. When you're running on treadmills, you take the chance of assuming that your gym is PROPERLY maintaining the treadmill. (i.e replacing the padding once in a blue moon.")

I'll stick to my eliptical trainer, thank you! :P

tidesong
03-18-2006, 07:31 PM
But cardio is the *only* thing that will improve your stamina/endurance...so if that's why you're going to the gym it's pointless to go unless you do mainly cardio.

I agree that to improve core strength, pilates is the best way. Amazing results.

Also you said you were concerned about doing things that were bad for skating, well, running is pretty bad on the knees. I've always been told never to do it, or even run on a treadmill. I use elliptical trainers or bike machines. Works just as well, but no stress on the knees. You need those joints to last as long as they can, and running puts a LOT of unnecessary stress on them.
Thats interesting, so gym's best function is to help do cardio with less strain on the knee?

Raye: You pointed out something interesting... the second time and thrid time through you dont actually jump! I've attempted to jump after practising my programs and just totally kept falling all over the place because I was simply tired. Stroking I can do... but not moves in the field though... I fall on those as well when I'm tired... interesting though.

(just a note if you were wondering: I still havent been able to wake early and get to the gym before work... so yeah sorry... cant update about much...)

beachbabe
03-18-2006, 09:21 PM

i disagree that ther eis no point going to the gym unless its for cardio. skating a strength and cardio workout, but if all you do on top of it is cardio, its not good for your body. It needs to have a enough muscle to balance itself out. The best workout is one that is all inclusive, such as skating, but in those days in between it is very iportant to work on muscle tone because thats whats going to help on those power moves. The best thing to do is alternating cardio and weights.

What alot of trainers reccomend is warming up w/about 15-20 mins of cardio then lifting weight for a bout 30 mins while doing a cardio move such as star jumps or alternating steps in between each weight excercise. and cooling down w/about 5 mins of light cardio.