View Full Version : Im sorry - another question about buying skates

newskaker5
03-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I have been reading the treads on this and I just feel overwhelmed trying to figure out what would be good for me. I started lessons 2 weeks ago (pre alpha/alpha adult). I have old figure skates that are a tiny bit big, but anyway the coach told me to get my blades sharpened, but ideally he said I should just get new skates

I am 5'0 and about 105 lbs, a female - beginner (I can go forwards and backwards, stop, single tun on two feet, etc - nothing fancy). But I have goals to finish all the LTS levels and get good eventually.

Thank u!

newskaker5
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I forgot to add - I have a size 6 foot (US shoe size). Slightly wide foot. Flat feet - I use orthodics in my running shoes. Thanks!

Isk8NYC
03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
If your skates are just "a tiny bit big" you can get away with just getting them sharpened and putting in an extra innersole. If you're swimming in the boots, buy new skates.

Since you have a wide foot, try on a pair Jackson freestyles. They run about $200, have a decent innersole, and will provide you with good support for a while. The stock blade is good for beginners. Buy them from a pro shop and have them measure your foot.

(I'm assuming you're an adult and your feet have stopped growing, barring children and weight changes.)

newskaker5
03-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the advice! Yes - Ive stopped growing unfortunatly :( My weight is stable and I dont plan on gaining any so I should be OK in that department.

Mine are slightly big I guess -Im not even sure how they are supposed to fit really. My heel can move - not a ton, but it definately lifts when I move. I also feel like I have a lot of room in the bottom ankle area - Im guessing thats normal though.

My skates are some kind of sporting good store skates - passed down from my sister so I know they arent all that. I just wasnt sure if it was even worth sharpening them. But I guess I will go to the pro shop and just ask.