View Full Version : New to Skating

auntlala3
03-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Hello all -
I am new to skating, I just started taking lessons after always wanting to when I was a kid (I am 32). Skating with Celebrites in a way encouraged me, I mean if Debbie Gibson could do it then certainly I could - LOL

Anyway I signed up at my local rink and just completed Adult 1, and I had a blast.

HEre is the thing though, I would love to look into going further and possibly competing and I am not sure how this whole thing would work. I tried looking it up on the internet and I could not find enough information.

What do you need to know in order to start competing? Where are these competitions? Those kind of questions.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. Right now I am going a bit crazy, I just bought a new pair of skates and used the for one lesson with the factory sharpening and they were great compared to the ones I was using, but now my instructor has them, she took them to get sharpened, until Wed when I can pick them up, so no ice skating for me until at least then. I miss my skates - LOL

Thanks!!!

jp1andOnly
03-12-2006, 12:56 PM
look on the USFSA website. There are tons of competitions. In fact, Adult Nationals is taking place in just a couple of weeks at the end of March.

You can compete at various levels. Get yourself a rule book and learn the adult pre-bronze stuff. You have to do moves in the field and freeskate tests to get to adult nationals. I believe the lowest level at nationals is adult bronze.

auntlala3
03-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Where can I find a Rule Book? Do I buy it from a bookstore and can I obtain it online?

jp1andOnly
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
You can order it online from the USFSA website

Where can I find a Rule Book? Do I buy it from a bookstore and can I obtain it online?

VegasGirl
03-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Personally I prefer ISI over USFSA because it's more geared toward fun and less competitive though they do have competitions. If you want to check them out look here:

www.skateisi.com

I've been a member for 2 years now and have competed locally as well as out of state and at the ISI Adult Championship and it always was a blast!!!
All you have to do to compete is be a member and having past a test level. You then compete at that level and you can start competing at the pre-alpha Level (first level tested).
Ofcourse you'd also need a coach who could put a program together for you and private lessons to get it down pat. :)