View Full Version : skates

SilverSprings
03-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey. I have a few questions.

I skated from when I was 6-11. I just about mastered my loop jumps, flips, lutz etc and I was learning my axel. I am 15 now, and I really want to go back and hopefully be able to land a few jumps. Is it worth it to take lessons again or just skate for fun.
At the time, I had Reidell 117's. I have since outgrown them, and I am hoping to get a new skates. Are these skates adequate enough for now or should I get a different model? I have been looking around, but I am not sure which brands are good. Also, there is a good chance that I might have to pay for these skates myself..so I am looking for a good price as well.

thanks!

Isk8NYC
03-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Silversprings: Answer these questions right away.

Do you plan to spin and jump or are you going to do ice dance and footwork?
Or are you just going to recreationally skate? (No harm in having your own skates for that.)

Weight: (Thin, heavy, in the middle)

What part of the world are you from?
(ie. Northeast USA, Australia, Quebec, London - it affects brand rec's.)

What size shoe do you wear now?

What WIDTH shoe do you wear now? (Narrow, regular, wide)

Anything else we should know?
(ie. Recovering from broken ankle, pronate, etc.)

What's your budget?
(Optional; you'll get tons of suggestions that run the gambit.)

What types of lessons are available to you? Group or Individual.

SilverSprings
03-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Do you plan to spin and jump or are you going to do ice dance and footwork?
Or are you just going to recreationally skate? Most likely jump and spin (if i can get into a class) or recreationally skate (once a week over the summer)
Height:5'2
Weight: in the middle

What part of the world are you from?
Southwest USA (California)

What size shoe do you wear now? 6.5- 7

What WIDTH shoe do you wear now? regular

Anything else we should know? not really

What's your budget?
up to 200 ish

What types of lessons are available to you? group and individual...

Debbie S
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
If you liked your Riedells and they fit you well, then you might want to stick with that brand and just get a more advanced model. The model you have now (117) is what I started skating in and they are part of Riedell's rec level series and not designed for jumps. I think the next is called the Medallion series and the model numbers are in the 200s - I think the price is about in your range. Riedells to tend to be a bit narrow so make sure your feet feel comfortable in them.

You may also want to look at Jacksons, which are wider (although the heel is also wider so if you have a narrow heel, they might not be the best choice) and b/c they're made in Canada, they are a bit cheaper than other skates at the same level.

SP-Teri and Harlick make nice boots that are designed for single jumps, but they will probably be a bit out of your price range.