View Full Version : Too much blade?

sunshinepointe
03-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I know that you can buy boots that are too stiff/advanced, but can you buy too much blade? I'm in the market for new blades and I'm not sure where to go - my coach is going to see what she has in her little stockroom, but just in case she doesn't have anything I'd like some tips on knowing what blade to buy. Aside from the quality of the metal and the toe pick cut is there a huge difference between the 200 dollar blades (coronation ace, MK pro) and the expensive 400 and up blades (phantom, gold stars, etc). If so, what are the differences? I tried looking this up because I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum so if anyone wants to direct me to another thread thats fine :)

cecealias
03-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I know there's a thread around here somewhere about blades and various opinions, but I'd just go for whatever blade you can afford best. Don't worry too much about blade like worrying about stiffness in boots. Anything 200 dollars and up is pretty decent. Some of our coaches even recommend the Professional or Gold Stars to beginning freestyle students. I've known some people to keep blades for a very long time like 6-7 years and go from beginner beginner to high level skater. You could learn to skate very well on a low level blade for a long time or a high level blade for a long time.

When I first started I had a pair of very old MK single star blades and the next upgrade I made was to MK Gold Stars, I wasn't even trying for all my single jumps at the time but I got them anyhow and I didn't have any issues adjusting.

Probably the only thing I'd be concerned with when changing blades is the Rocker and the length of the blade if your boot length changes significantly. Those are things that can throw off your skating. If it's the same Rocker and length but different priced blade, its usually ok.

sunshinepointe
03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I want to stick with the 7 foot rocker since I have the MK Pros right now. My blade length is going from 9 3/4 to 10 so I don't think it'll be a huge impact - the new skates are a *little* long in the toe (without any socks or stockings) but very snug everywhere else. I'm going to continue to do my research, wait for my coach and then make an informed decision. You rock, as always!

Skate@Delaware
03-10-2006, 08:30 PM
My group coach tried to convince me to keep my existing blades when I ordered my new boots...which are 1/2 size smaller than what I'm in now! I've got big feet as it is! I trip over the heel a lot now! I'm going from a 10.25" blade (that was slightly over each end of the boot) to a 10" blade and that may not seem like much, but if you have big feet you loose what you can to keep from tripping!

They are getting mounted this weekend.

Good luck finding some to suit you!

EastonSkater
03-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd say just quality of the metal. And some blades are tapered (more expensive kind)...or curved on the sides.

Isk8NYC
03-10-2006, 08:52 PM
They are getting mounted this weekend.

Update please: which blades are being mounted? I know there was some confusion over cancelled orders that were picked up in error.

sunshinepointe
03-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Blade/boot length makes no sense to me lol. A friend of mine has MUCH smaller feet than I do and her skates are 10 inches heel to toe, mine are 10.5 heel to toe - hers are a little too snug on her (wearing socks is not even possible), mine are a little loose on me - Granted we're wearing to different brands but the heck? I'm going with a 10 inch blade instead of the 10 1/4 based on coach recommendations - particularly since I don't expect these boots to last long and I'll get a smaller size next time anyway. All this equipment nonsense is mind boggling.

Chico
03-10-2006, 09:12 PM
This is what I was told as a new skater; "You can have too much boot but it's almost impossible to get too much blade." As a more advanced skater now I agree but disagree. Good blades help but their not a majic potion. And, you can get too much toe pick. I have Gold Stars and love them. Best thing I've bought skating and they are lasting a long time. Worth the investment if you skate seriously and over a long time. Gold Stars have bigger picks than some, not as big as others. I would suggest being careful of this. You can get over this with practice but it's something to think about I think. Listen to your coach as they should have your best interest at heart. Sidenote: Your skates sound a little big. Skates should fit "tight" with a nylon or light sock. There shouldn't be slippage. I'd ask your coach about this too. A good skate fit does wonders too.

Chico

Good luck! =-)

Skate@Delaware
03-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Update please: which blades are being mounted? I know there was some confusion over cancelled orders that were picked up in error.
I'm getting the Comets mounted...BUT will be switching to the Aces over the summer.

Bear with me-my reasoning is this: I have 2 competitions AND an ice show within 2 months and can't take breaking in new boots, let alone getting used to new blades with a different rocker. I'll leave that for the summer at a rink I'm not a regular at (so I can skate like a dork)!!!

By the time we re-open in the fall, I should be golden!!!:halo:

Chico
03-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Forgot, find out what size skate you should have nomatter what! It would be awful to buy blades that are too small for your current skates or too big for your next. Talk to the fitter and your coach before you buy! Are your skates used? If so, they may have been stretched to fit the old skater with wear. The first time buying anything is hard.

Chico

sunshinepointe
03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Sidenote: Your skates sound a little big. Skates should fit "tight" with a nylon or light sock. There shouldn't be slippage. I'd ask your coach about this too. A good skate fit does wonders too.

Chico

Good luck! =-)

My coaches concern was the heel - as long as my heel stays in place I should be okay she thinks. They feel like they should work - but if they don't they only cost me 100 bucks and I'll be able to sell em to someone for at least that and I'll get another pair :)

beachbabe
03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't know if there is any real difefrence in the blades, like i've skated in Wilson Jubilees and coronation aces, which i'm still in now. It only took me an hour or so to adjust, so i don't think its really a big deal. Its a matter of finding what rocker you like...and if you've done that the same size blades will be very similar unless you go with tapered, parabolics, or k-picks

NickiT
03-11-2006, 03:19 AM
OK, I went to the skate fitter last week. My son had outgrown his boots and I wanted the guy to check my boots and blades while we were there. It turned out I needed new blades as the rocker had completely gone off my old blades. I've been skating for a number of years and have all my singles to lutz so consider myself to be somewhat above newbie status. The skate fitter has been fitting skates for years. He has fitted several champions' skates, and he has clients not just from the UK but from abroad too. He knows what he's doing. I doubt there are many more experienced people out there. So I discussed with him which blade to go with. I had MK Pros on my boots and had been happy with them but my coach had talked about me going up a blade. However he told me there was absolutely no need for anything more than an MK Pro, that the Pro would see me through to doubles and that it would be crazy to spend all that money on a blade that quite honestly I don't need. I respected his wisdom and knowledge and simply replaced with a new pair of MK Pros. I know of people who have invested in the best blades believing it will turn them into the best skater. However it doesn't work like that. A skater is only as good as his/her skills. We have a young boy at our rink who has progressed really quickly. Naturally his parents wanted the best for him and invested in Gold Seal blades. The kid couldn't skate on them. His coach simply told him he had way too much blade and he reverted back to Coronation Ace and his progress continued once more. I've seen it with my own eyes so I would never recommend anyone to go for more blade than they need and yes, there is such thing as too much blade!

Nicki

icedancer2
03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I have to totally, totally agree with NickiT - the MK Professional and Coronation Ace (virutally the same blade) are perfect all-around blades.

I too have seen way too many people try to skate in a really heavy-duty blade and it is not pretty... one time I saw a little girl taking her pre-pre test -- her parents had indulged her with Gold Seals (with the gold plating, even) thinking "our little duckling must have the best..." (she was about 6). Well, she could hardly skate, and couldn't skate backwards... -- we felt bad, but we had to fail her test. The person I was judging with (she's an International judge actually) felt horrible about it and asked me what I thought the problem was... -- I said I thought it was her equipment. It was too bad, really.

Anyway, I realize you are not 6 years old, but too much blade can be a pain for anyone!

Admittedly when I got new skates last spring, I bought too much blade -- it's a very fast dance blade with an 8 foot rocker that I paid $400 for -- I really felt like indulging myself. I have been paying for it for the last year -- I am going to give it one more sharpening (which will flatten the rocker) before I decide to ditch them and either go back to my old dance blades, or get something else...

By the way, Skate@Delaware, are you in need of ditching those Comets size 10 1/4? I may want to give them a try!!

Anita18
03-11-2006, 02:22 PM
My coaches concern was the heel - as long as my heel stays in place I should be okay she thinks. They feel like they should work - but if they don't they only cost me 100 bucks and I'll be able to sell em to someone for at least that and I'll get another pair :)
Careful with that thinking. My first skates were snug in the heel at first...but as I skated in them the ball stretched and the extra room in the toes REALLY showed its ugly face. Keep in mind, these skates were at least 1 size too big for me, but I have wide feet and the shop didn't have any wide sizes so I had to go with whatever could fit my foot! Eventually I had to get heel liners so my heels would stop slipping.

When I got my current skates, my blade size also went down a good inch or so. I thought it would be a huge size difference, but it took no time at all to get used to them. Well, probably because I was concentrating on breaking them in first, I didn't even notice what my blades were doing! :lol:

_aurora_
03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I have MK Gold Stars which I got when I was prelim/prejuv, almost two years ago. My coach at the time thought they would be good and that I would be able to keep them or get an identical one for a long time. My current coach thinks they might be a little too much blade for me but only mentioned it once. I switched from Coronation Ace to the Gold Stars, and I saw immediate improvement in my power. I especially remember that I was working on prejuv moves power pulls at the time, and there was a HUGE improvement in them the first time I tried them in the new blades. I don't remember if there was much effect either way on my jumps or spins. I'm pretty sure MK Pro has the same rocker as Gold Star and different from Coronation Ace, so that could have been the difference, and I might have done just as well getting MK Pros. So blade selection isn't as big a deal as boots--I don't know if cost is an issue, but if it is getting good boots is more important. Just make sure if you do get a high level blade you have someone who can sharpen it.

sunshinepointe
03-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Careful with that thinking. My first skates were snug in the heel at first...but as I skated in them the ball stretched and the extra room in the toes REALLY showed its ugly face. Keep in mind, these skates were at least 1 size too big for me, but I have wide feet and the shop didn't have any wide sizes so I had to go with whatever could fit my foot! Eventually I had to get heel liners so my heels would stop slipping.

When I got my current skates, my blade size also went down a good inch or so. I thought it would be a huge size difference, but it took no time at all to get used to them. Well, probably because I was concentrating on breaking them in first, I didn't even notice what my blades were doing! :lol:

Eeek...well...I'm going to try these and see how they go...if they don't work out for me I'll just sell them for what I paid for them. I understand about the stretching and this does worry me, I won't lie - my current skates, Jacksons, were fit by a fitter and have since stretched so much that they're actually a pain to skate in, hence the quest for new skates. The only thing I can do is try and possibly stuff the toe with lambswool if its too annoying until I can save up for another pair. I'll figure it out I suppose.

kayskate
03-11-2006, 04:02 PM
The only blade I've ever bought is MK Pro. It has served me well for many yrs. I must be on my 4th or 5th set. I'm a reasonably advanced adult skater. Great spins. Used to work on axels and doubles. The baldes were always just fine for me. Personally, I see blades as disposable. You use them up by sharpening. I try to get new ones before the rocker gets too distorted so my adjustment to the new set is easy. MY Pros are relatively inexpensive. They are great for my needs.

Kay

DressageChica
03-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I would stick with the MK pros, but maybe I'm partial since that is what I have.

If you aren't working on massive double or triple jumps, don't bother with paying 200 extra dollars. That's $200 you can use in private lessons and ice time.

My friends and I were actually talking about this same subject this morning at breakfast after our skate. One guy passed up through FS 6 in a pair of blades that were glorified rental blades...seriously. His family didn't have the money and that's what he skated on.

Cheers!