View Full Version : Gam Blades?

luna_skater
03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Does anyone here have Gam blades, or know someone who has experience with them? I need new blades, and am thinking of switching from synchro to free skate blades this time. Skate shop guy recommended Gam G10's and Wilson Coronation Comets as blades that would be a good transition between synchro and free skate. I've seen a lot of people in my rink on Gam's, but haven't gotten any direct feedback on them.

My skating background, if it helps...I've been skating for 20 years, mostly synchro. I did CanSkate and CanFigure when I was younger, so I learned up to a bad loop. A few years ago I got my gold dances and skills, and I started learning/re-learning free skate last June. I have all my singles in combo, and am starting to learn the axel. I've had synchro blades for about the last 8 years, and never had a high-level (i.e., not pre-attached to the boot) free skate blade before that. The last time I got new blades was 2 years ago, and a that time I was just doing dance, skills, and synchro.

MusicSkateFan
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
My first skates almost two years ago were gams with gam g3 blade....They had too much rocker and I never learned to spin until I got my Pattern 99's/graf edmonton set up 9 months ago. They(gams) were good for jumps and footwork....I like the speed I could get with them in running threes. I cant imagine skating on them again!

Skate@Delaware
03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
My daughter has g3's. Her spins are good except for the traveling part...that's just because of poor technique (which she doesn't work on because she is a teenager:roll: ). Her jumps and footwork are fine in them. She doesn't skate fast because...she is a teenager and her coach doesn't make her8O

I'm in Comets. My coach makes me skate fast. My spins suck. I have poor technique which is being fixed (bad posture and Comets which are the flattest blades on the planet next to speed skate blades).:lol: My jumps are fine. My footwork is fine. When I got my Comets, I did notice that I could go faster with less effort because the metal was much finer...like hot knife through butter is the best analogy.

luna_skater
03-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I saw on the Riedell website that the Comets are an 8.5 rocker, which is definitely not enough for me. All the blades I've skated on have been 8 or 7. The Gam's are looking promising. They have a pick similar to what is on my Ultima synchro blades, and I also like the price better than MK's or Wilsons! Not sure I need a G10, but the G4 has cross-cut picks, which I don't know I would like. Thanks for the help so far, any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!

luna_skater
03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Just wanted to bump this up to see if there are any more opinions!

Skate@Delaware
03-15-2006, 08:15 AM
I saw on the Riedell website that the Comets are an 8.5 rocker, which is definitely not enough for me. All the blades I've skated on have been 8 or 7. The Gam's are looking promising. They have a pick similar to what is on my Ultima synchro blades, and I also like the price better than MK's or Wilsons! Not sure I need a G10, but the G4 has cross-cut picks, which I don't know I would like. Thanks for the help so far, any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah, comets are FLAT!!!! So, if you don't have good spin technique, you will be fighting an uphill battle...
I have a set of Aces waiting for the summer break (bwah-ha-ha)

I'm getting my daughter something with a 7.5 rocker instead of the g3's she is on, something in stainless. I think they glide and sharpen better.