View Full Version : A bad case of AOSS.

Skittl1321
03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I haven't even been back on the ice yet, but since getting my skates sharpened it's all I've been thinking about. My boss gave me the go ahead to rearrange my schedule to accomodate a morning session once a week. $6.50 seems too much for a 2 hour open session, but if it is an adult only open session I'm more likely to get my money's worth than a weekend open session.

My lessons don't begin until April 5- and I am still waiting to hear from the skate coordinator to see if they will let me test through Basic 1-2 without the class to start in Basic 3-4. Even if they do, I'll need to take at least one private to make sure I am doing the skills right- so it really seems like a winning situation for them. They get my private lesson money and group lesson money- and they don't have to deal with a mixed level class (having a student in Basic 1 who can already do all the Basic 1 skills)

My husband and I are going skating tomorrow night at an open session, and I'm going to run through all the Basic 1-2 skills to make sure I can still do them as I remember them. Although I have the go ahead from my boss to go the adult session, and the reassurance of board members that beginners are welcome at these sorts of sessions, I'm still nervous. I'd be by myself and not much more than a rink circler. I used to skate circles for hours by myself in middle school at the mall rink- but now I'm scared about being "strange" for being there all by myself.

The thing is- I've really caught the bug. I'm not going to have any spare evenings now that I add skating to my weekly schedule of 1 pilates class, 2 ballet classes, 1 pointe class, and 2 rehearsals, but it's worth it. I can't wait to get onto the ice!

Rusty Blades
03-09-2006, 03:38 PM
8 years away from skating?

I wouldn't worry too much about being with the "beginners" right now. You need to get on the ice and see what is still there and what you have to re-learn. You might be surprised (maybe good, maybe bad) and you wont know until you get out there.

I was a fairly good skater in my youth and thought it would be like riding a bicycle. After being away 36 years, I found out it is NOT! :cry: For all practical purposes, it is like starting all over again :frus: The biggest difference is that I am picking up things a lot faster than a first-timer. It has taken me 20 hours of ice time to just start getting my forward edges back. My mind remembers EXACTLY how to do an axle or a sit-spin - my body just says "You want me to do WHAT???!!!"

Only one way to find out where you are starting from and that's on the ice!

Good luck and welcome to the ranks of returning skaters!

phoenix
03-09-2006, 04:17 PM
6.50 for 2 hours of ice is CHEAP!!! I pay $10.00 / hr., sometimes more. The very cheapest ice I skate on is $5.50/hr, if it's pre-paid.

Skittl1321
03-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I guess 6.50 isn't too bad. It's only 3.50 if you live within the city, which is part of the reason it seems expensive.

About getting back on the ice- if I expected to be able to do anything signifigant, I agree I need to go basic- but I'm thinking things like swizzles- andwhen I talked to them about the basic I class it came across as most of the people had never been on ice skates before. If I can't still do all the basic I skills tomorrow, I won't pursue going to the 3-4 class, but I would like to make use of the class time the best way for me. Even if I can do all the basic I skills, I want to work at least once with a coach before I ask to be evaluated, just to make sure I'm doing them right. And if they don't think I am, I don't mind being in the Basic 1-2 class. I just want to spend the time the best I could.

flippet
03-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm still nervous. I'd be by myself and not much more than a rink circler. I used to skate circles for hours by myself in middle school at the mall rink- but now I'm scared about being "strange" for being there all by myself.

The thing is....adult skaters are *all* there 'by themselves'. (Generally speaking.) Although adults do skate for the comraderie and socialization, we also are often working very hard at our skills--and that is a very individual endeavor. It's not like middle school, where a whole gaggle of kids gets on and off the ice together, holding hands as they go. Friendly adult skaters tend to touch base with each other, then separate, then connect, then separate again. But mostly when you're a skating adult, you're very much inside your own head out there.

When you go, see if you can chat up someone while you're lacing up, mention that you're a beginner, maybe ask how many skaters usually show up for this session, or ask where they got those awesome soakers or something...mention you're a newbie, and that's often all it takes to have a skating friend, because that person will probably love to give you a tip or two, and encourage you. There's just not enough adult skaters who stick around--we know that it's worth it to help the newbies have staying power.

cassarilda
03-09-2006, 09:22 PM
6.50 for 2 hours of ice is CHEAP!!! I pay $10.00 / hr., sometimes more. The very cheapest ice I skate on is $5.50/hr, if it's pre-paid.

We pay $14pp (with or without hire skates), for a public session... they range from 2-3.5 hours 8O 8O

Id be very happy to pay less than $10...

Although in my old rink ($10 - without hire skates), if you bought a year pass for $1200, it worked out to be a saving of about $1300 if you skated 5times a week... :) (or about $4.80 per session)

Oh and skating buddies are great.. you dont have to skate with them ALL the time, but so long as you can go up to them and make a comment on what youre working on, quite often they can help.. or at least sympathise!! :) Either chat em up when lacing up, or when youre on the rink, edge towards the inner circle, try a few things, and make eye contact with someone.. :) Quite often they will start chatting to you if they think they can help... especially if they see you around a lot..

Ive met about 6 people in 4 weeks who I regularly talk to.. all because we see each other around :)

Oh and trust me, if you know lots of people at the rink, you'll be wishing somedays, when all you want to do is just practise, that you didnt know anyone! ;)

figure_skater
03-09-2006, 11:51 PM
i wish ice was that cheap for me... its $7 for a crowded public session and $11 for a one-hour freestyle. so yah...

my only advice...

i dont suggest pointe and skating... both need your feet and both will put so much impact on them in different ways... i dont think its that good of an idea but its up to you.

sk8 gr8

EastonSkater
03-10-2006, 01:01 AM

In Colorado ... 5 dollars average with own skates.... 3 hours public session - walk-in standard payment. Zamboni surfaced before session starts, and if needed, zamboni half-way through session.

icecatepairs
03-10-2006, 02:23 AM
$6.50 even for an hour would be golden...we pay up to $15 an hour at some rinks. pre paid icecards have helped with that ..but...does anyone know what sky rink is up to these days...i paid $22 for a 45 minute walk on a month ago...what the hell is wrong with these people..is the ice made of diamonds>.yikes!!8O

Skittl1321
03-10-2006, 06:34 AM
my only advice...

i dont suggest pointe and skating... both need your feet and both will put so much impact on them in different ways... i dont think its that good of an idea but its up to you.

sk8 gr8

I have been reading about that- and I think you are right. They are very different uses of feet. Right now my level of skating is Basic 2ish, and my level of pointe is only having me do it once a week. Once I get some time on the ice, I will probably decide which I should do and dedicate myself more to that. (It has recently been ballet, but I think being a short 24 year old- I might have reached my limits, so now I'm going to try skating- I have to fit in everything I didn't do as a kid before I have my own.)

My husband and I are moving soon, so as soon as we buy the new house, I won't be able to do both anyways :)

Thanks for your concern :)

Chico
03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I agree with Flippet! Most adult skaters are very friendly but most talking occurs off ice. An occasional greet and meet but we do skate in our heads pretty much. Folks won't be watching you as much as you think. Personally, skating is my time and I don't want to talk and "play" too much. On an occasion but not on the norm. Remember this and don't take this social behavior as unfriendly. Ice time is for practice, bench time is for visits.

Chico

Skittl1321
03-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the encouragement :)
I finally got to go skating last night! I can still do everything in Basic 1-2 and skate fairly compentently. I can still do swizzles, wiggles, rocking horses, basic backwards skating, two footed turns, and pretty much everything I could do before. The only thing I can't still do is skate hockey circles with my feet in a single line, rather than side by side- I don't know what that's called.

I went in a group to an open skate, expecting only to be able to skate circles, but it was uncrowded enough that there was room on the end of each rink to practice on specific things, and an area in the middle for freestyle. I've never seen so few people on ice during an open session. This is encouraging, because while I personally would like to skate adult sessions, it will also be nice to skate with my husband- who can't go in the morning.

I still haven't recieved an email back from the skate coordinator about testing out of Basic 1-2. After last night I've determined if it is possible, I would really like to, but if I can't- it's still worthwhile for me to take Basic 1-2.

The only thing unexpected is since I last skated I have developed a fear of falling. That's not going to work. For now, I'm not falling, but I was only doing things I've mastered. Falling has to happen to learn new things. So I need to get on the ice a few more times and convince myself that people fall all the time, and I am unlikely to break my neck again from it.

kayskate
03-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I have actually paid $20/hr for FS ice.

Kay

Skittl1321
03-11-2006, 04:13 PM

Kay

That's incredible. I guess I feel lucky now. Now I understand why you don't like when you have crowded freestyle session. (I love your journal. It's what made me realize there are adult ice skaters too)

I actually saw the notice for FS at our rink last night. It's only $5 for 3 hours! It actually costs more to go to open skates. I'm not a high enough level yet to be on FS ice though.

figure_skater
03-11-2006, 04:22 PM
$5 for 3 hours?
thats amazing!!!!!!!
wish i could skate there.
you would have to drag me off the ice. :lol:

and about my comment earlier and the reply to that comment.
i used to be in the same position... i chose skating but i have found that except for spotting, skating has helped my dancing improve on so many levels.

Skittl1321
03-11-2006, 05:50 PM
$5 for 3 hours?
thats amazing!!!!!!!
wish i could skate there.
you would have to drag me off the ice. :lol:

Well I went to go look- and it was too good to be true. It's $5 for city residents and $10 for non-residents. But for 3 hours, still a good deal. (The 2 hour open/adult skates are only $3.25 for residents)

stardust skies
03-12-2006, 12:56 AM

Kay

Let me guess...was it at Chelsea Piers?

stardust skies
03-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Well I went to go look- and it was too good to be true. It's $5 for city residents and $10 for non-residents. But for 3 hours, still a good deal. (The 2 hour open/adult skates are only $3.25 for residents)

Hmmm, unless they resurface the ice every hour then it's a BAD deal, IMO. Can you imagine what the ice would be like after THREE hours of people doing freestyle on it? You *can* hurt yourself from skating on bad ice. Sometimes my rink doesn't resurface for two hours, and it's always on the second hour that I catch ruts in my spins and fall on the back of my head, or trip on footwork because the ice has turned to snow. I wouldn't be so eager to skate for 3 hours on ice the rink values at $3.30 an hour for non-residents. You get what you pay for.

Skittl1321
03-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I have no idea what they do during freestyle, but I do know that they resurface once an hour during open and adult sessions (which are only 2 hours long)

The rink is in a huge rec complex that is city supported. I'm only hear for a few more months, so I'm sad I didn't find it earlier.And because it is tax supported, residents should get a discount- they are already paying for it.

Casey
03-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Seattle is a pretty economical place to skate, I'm discovering, though it seems expensive to me still. ;)

Freestyle on Olympic sized ice is $10/hour, but if you're an adult, you get to prepay $110/month for unlimited sessions, which is 10+ hours per day. Many of the midday sessions only have a couple people on them.

3/4 sized ice is available on Friday and Saturday nights - public sessions - for $6.50 for 5.5 hours - and it clears up quite a bit after the first couple hours - 10pm-12:30 averages 10 folks out on the ice.

NHL-sized ice is available every midday for 4 hours - public sessions - for $7.00, and they tend to be pretty deserted as well. There's also some sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, but those are the ones to avoid because they're so crowded.

Oh and if all that weren't good enough, you can get unlimited public sessions for 6 months at an NHL-sized rink for........$90. And no, that wasn't a typo. ;)

jazzpants
03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Let me guess...was it at Chelsea Piers?LMAO!!! I was thinking the same too!!! :lol: :twisted:

To their credit though, I liked their FS ice...and I want to take my Chelsea Piers coach home with me!!! He's good!!! :twisted:

To stay on topic: My home rink is $10/pre-paid 10 FS session, $12.00 one time visit. $7 for public session and I forgot for the public session. My weekend rink is $54/pre-paid 10 pubic sessions and $70/10 pre paid FS session. (Of course, I hardly ever go to FS at the weekend rink.)

cecealias
03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
oh lordy Chelsea piers IS expensive.... i'm surprised the price has not been raised in 5 years though:lol:

The ice is nice but the echo drove me nuts. Yes you can hear every single toe pick and edge grind of yours too!! And in the summer it's so humid the water drips from the ceiling onto your head!!

jazzpants
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
oh lordy Chelsea piers IS expensive.... i'm surprised the price has not been raised in 5 years though:lol:Shhhh... don't give 'em any idea... ;) :twisted:

The ice is nice but the echo drove me nuts. Yes you can hear every single toe pick and edge grind of yours too!! And in the summer it's so humid the water drips from the ceiling onto your head!!I'm there usually around Christmas... when the rink is WARMER than the outside!!! 8O 8O 8O

xofivebyfive
03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow I pay 3 dollars to skate a sesson at my rink..

megskate
03-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Where in Seattle did you find those prices? Thanks!

Casey
03-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Where in Seattle did you find those prices? Thanks!
The 3/4 size rink I refer to is Highland (http://www.highlandice.com/), the Olympic-sized one is OlympicView (http://www.olyview.com/), the NHL-sized ones are Castle Ice (http://www.castleice.com) and Comcast Community Ice Rink (http://everetteventscenter.com/) (the latter being the one with the $90/6 months deal).

sk8joyful
03-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Seattle is a pretty economical place to skate, I'm discovering, though it seems expensive to me still. ;)

Oh and if all that weren't good enough, you can get unlimited public sessions for 6 months at an NHL-sized rink for........$90. And no, that wasn't a typo. ;)
Wow! -
would that we could get (that=6 months for $90 where I skate... (90-minutes south of there)). That would help alot :)

I had the neatest experience today at practice, if only I was brave-enough to share :)
)

megskate
03-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Thank you, I appriciate the info.... lots!!