View Full Version : UK - What is NISA / Sun promotion?

sceptique
03-09-2006, 04:06 AM
Anyone knows what NISA/Sun promotion mentioned on NISA web site is about? I assume it probably has something to do with public skating sessions.

NickiT
03-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Not sure to be honest. Our rink isn't down on the list but we don't do the NISA learn to skate programme. I wonder if it's to do with that?

Nicki

sceptique
03-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Not sure to be honest. Our rink isn't down on the list but we don't do the NISA learn to skate programme. I wonder if it's to do with that?

Nicki

Oh, no, not, not Learn to Skate, no, please! 8O
It's already overcrowded beyond imaginable! AFAIK, it's run by the rinks, not skating schools and clubs, but the mess that it's turning into lately can reflect poorly on coaches' reputation.

Argh, we'll manage. Looking forward to this weekend - bring those barrier clingers on and just make sure they all have gloves!

NickiT
03-09-2006, 06:26 AM
Looking forward to this weekend - bring those barrier clingers on and just make sure they all have gloves!

My bet is that in a few weeks they'll have come to realise that skating requires a lot of hard work and commitment and those who can't let go of the barrier will lose interest and give up!

Nicki

sceptique
03-09-2006, 06:49 AM
My bet is that in a few weeks they'll have come to realise that skating requires a lot of hard work and commitment and those who can't let go of the barrier will lose interest and give up!

Nicki

The irony is that at least in my group they all let it go after first 15 minutes. I was a very timid kid myself so I get an extra kick from working with the most fearful skaters and getting them to the point where they start to skate on their own, laughing, having fun and enjoying it. But you have to be able to give them some attention, and it's simply not possible with 15+ beginners per instructor.

Not that I'm a perfectionist, but it's a little sad for me if for many people their first contact with ice leave a wrong impression, especially those, who do need a little bit of extra help to get them going. I'd rather have 50 people come and 25 to stay, than 1000 come and 10 to stay.

NickiT
03-09-2006, 07:09 AM
I know what you're saying but really there's not a lot you can do about it. The bottom line is that skating has picked up big time here in the UK and all these new skaters need to understand that because of this, the class sizes are much bigger than normal and therefore you are up against it as a coach. You can only do your best, which I'm sure you are doing. Some will drop out. I'm sure quite a lot will but it won't be down to you that they decide not to keep going...more that they decide they aren't cut out for skating. Putting it in perspective the people I did learn to skate with many years ago all disappeared within a year of finishing the course. Several didn't even see it through to the end of the first course. Don't beat yourself up because you can't give everyone the individual attention that you would like to be able to. At the end of the day they could have learned to skate some months ago when the classes were smaller. They chose to come now.

Nicki