View Full Version : how long off the ice?

figure_skater
03-08-2006, 10:18 PM
well good news is that i only broke a toe. bad news is i couldnt skate today... ugh. so im wondering.. does anyone know how long i should stay off the ice? its just the little toe. my main coach said one week, but my other coach said as long as u need to. someone who recently broke the same thing was able to stroke and do footwork after about 10 days but then jump in about 2 1/2 weeks. what do you think?

thanks for the help.

<3 manda

WhisperSung
03-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey. My friend broke his big toe on his landing foot. The doctor told him to stay off it on the ice for 4 weeks, but he was back in 2 (wincing in pain, I might add).

Maybe it's different for a smaller toe, though.

Mercedeslove
03-09-2006, 12:49 AM
That's up to you. Give it seven days. then put or skate on and walk around the house and see how it feels. If there is any pain at all, wait to return to the ice.

Speaking of ice besure to ice it and rest it. Stay off of it as much as possible. I know its hard, but only do what you have to do.

I broke four toes when I was 13 during gymnastics. It hurt so bad. Took me forever to feel good again.

VegasGirl
03-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Who cares what the coaches say, waht does the doc say?!

EastonSkater
03-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Who cares what the coaches say, waht does the doc say?!

Exactly ... it surprises me how somebody with a broken toe needs to ask how long they should stay off the ice while the doctor would have supplied that kind of information.

If it was me, and I had a broken something, I would just stay off the ice for a few months or more to make sure everything has healed and gone really strong again.

Isk8NYC
03-09-2006, 07:36 AM
My oldest daughter had a clumsy phase a couple years back. She broke a toe for three months in a row. Doing foolish things like pratfalling onto a sectional couch that came apart, dropping cans on her foot, tripping up the stairs.
[edited to add:] These were hairline fractures on different toes. Your situation may be different.

I was friendly with the Pediatric Orthopedist we used since I taught her daughter skating. The Orth said that it was okay for her to skate - the boot worked like a foot cast and the exercise would help the break heal.

Obviously, you have to wait until the swelling goes down and you can comfortably wear the skating boot.

Do check with your doctor first.

Alicia
03-09-2006, 08:09 AM
I don't know how long to stay off the ice for it to heal (or even heal enough to skate without further injury), but your toes do serve a purpose and that purpose is balance.

They send signals to keep you upright depending on the pressure they sense. So even in skates, you may be able to skate but expect your balance to be impaired until it is fully healed!!

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Who cares what the coaches say, waht does the doc say?!Doctors don't understand about skating, so I don't suppose figure_skater has particularly bothered to ask. Most people don't!

There are at least 4 children at our rink who have had broken wrists within the last 6 months. One only did it last week - she didn't miss a single session's training, and placed first at a competition this week. Then our coach told her to take a day off, but she refused and has been training as normal this week, with her arm in a splint.

Figure_skater, see what it feels like. If it hurts too badly, you can always get off again and give it another few days.

samba
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Doctors don't understand about skating, so I don't suppose figure_skater has particularly bothered to ask. Most people don't!

Yep, that about sums it up, as per my recent conversation to Mrs Redboots went something like this:

Samba: chiroprator said not to skate for a while, ha ha

Mrs Redboots: I hope you told her that's not a option

This is typical skater talk, people at the rink know when I am really, really ill because I dont come in. Hope your better soon figure skater.

Nicki, Get well soooon.

Isk8NYC
03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
There are at least 4 children at our rink who have had broken wrists within the last 6 months. One only did it last week - she didn't miss a single session's training, and placed first at a competition this week. Then our coach told her to take a day off, but she refused and has been training as normal this week, with her arm in a splint.

As the Head Coach of a girls swimming team, I was once "sanctioned" for letting a girl swim in a meet with a waterproof, inflatable cast. My punishment was to miss a meet, one I was missing anyway, so it was insignificant. The self-appointed President of the league was just posturing: he was a $&&() in high school and maturity hasn't come with age. The mother, who really triggered the whole debacle by arguing with the Ref and ignoring "El Presidente", brought me three notes from doctors saying to let her swim and there was no danger to herself or others.

samba
03-09-2006, 12:48 PM
After all I said earlier, in all seriousness it probably isnt a good idea to skate with a broken toe, I went back too early after having my big toe re-set and ended up having to have it done again, the note from the surgeon to my GP said that I had lots of tiny fractures because I persisted in skating when it had not healed, I threw the note away. the toe is still not right many years later.

VegasGirl
03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Doctors don't understand about skating, so I don't suppose figure_skater has particularly bothered to ask. Most people don't!

Well, but wouldn't you think that would be the first person to ask... befor asking the main coach... the second coach... who knows how many members of a skating forum... :roll: I know it would be the first person I'd ask and I am a figure skater... most importantly though I am a healthy, able, fit person and want to keep it that way for a looooong, loooong time!!!

I only can think of one thing to say about that...

How dumb can you be and where on earth are the parents!!!
I wonder if that would qualify for gross child neglect and endangerment... 8O

Isk8NYC
03-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, but wouldn't you think that would be the first person to ask... befor asking the main coach... the second coach... who knows how many members of a skating forum... :roll: I know it would be the first person I'd ask and I am a figure skater... most importantly though I am a healthy, able, fit person and want to keep it that way for a looooong, loooong time!!!

Well, yes it would be a question I would ask before I left the office; in fact, I DID for my daughter. However, figure_skater obviously didn't ask that question. Perhaps s/he has a call into the doctor; I know I've waited a day or two before getting a return call from a doctor in the USA.

As a coach, I've received these calls from students saying that they can't make a lesson because of an injury. Posting something like this on our Board is the norm while you wait for an answer, too. Chat happens, and opinions are given. Many people pointed out that s/he should talk to the doctor, so don't get upset. I'm sure figure_skater will do the right thing.

I only can think of one thing to say about that...
How dumb can you be and where on earth are the parents!!!
I wonder if that would qualify for gross child neglect and endangerment... 8O

Wow. How do you really feel about that?
(Frankly, I wouldn't want to call Mrs. Redboots dumb, but that's just me.)

Not knowing anything more than "it's a break," I wouldn't presume to get worked up to the point of neglect and endangerment. There are different severities of breaks, from hairline fractures to actual compound fractures. Let's hope these were not-so-bad ones, okay? One good thing: kid's not afraid of getting back on the ice, eh?

However, you make a good point: get a doctor's permission note first.
Somehow, when they have to actually sign something, they become a bit more cautious.

tazsk8s
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
My daughter broke her baby toe on her landing foot a couple of years ago. She thought she had just bruised the foot until she tried to skate on it the following day, when both of her coaches noticed somethin was awry, she couldn't land any jumps and her stroking suddenly became lopsided. Off to immediate care where they took xrays and confirmed it was broken. The doctor originally wanted her off the ice for 4-6 weeks. She started driving us crazy after 3 weeks, even though she could still work out off-ice (stationary bike, core work, some weights) there was an awful lot of energy that wasn't getting burned off like she was used to. We tried on a skate boot every few days and when she could walk in it without pain, I called the doctor who said she could try to skate if it felt ok. Since it was her landing foot, we made her hold off on jumping until the follow-up appointment, but she managed stroking, moves, and spins just fine until then.

Your mileage may vary.

VegasGirl
03-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Wow. How do you really feel about that?
(Frankly, I wouldn't want to call Mrs. Redboots dumb, but that's just me.)

I didn't call MrsRedboots dumb I called the girl in question dumb and her mom... and yes, I stand behind that! Letting you daughter skate with a broken bone, against doctor's wishes to boot is plain old dumb and borders on neglect/abuse if you ask me.

doubletoe
03-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I didn't call MrsRedboots dumb I called the girl in question dumb and her mom... and yes, I stand behind that! Letting you daughter skate with a broken bone, against doctor's wishes to boot is plain old dumb and borders on neglect/abuse if you ask me.

That's a perfectly valid opinion, but your advice will do a lot more good if you can think of a kinder way to say it. :roll:

Isk8NYC
03-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Oh, sorry, I reread it a few times and I didn't get that from your post. I picked up on your anger towards the parents, but I couldn't figure out who you were talking to with the "How dumb could you be?" part. My apologies. (My version was funnier!) However, no one said it was done AGAINST doctor's wishes. The Coach wanted her to take a day off, not the Doctor.

I really don't disagree with your opinion, I don't think I would let my kids skate with an big plaster arm cast or if it were a bad break. Hairline fracture with doctor's permission, that I would allow. (Honestly, in the swimming example I gave, I don't even think the kid's arm was really broken. The mother's always looking for attention for the daughter.)

beachbabe
03-09-2006, 08:36 PM
dont risk it...for your sake. take like 10 days off and if you feel any pain at all, especially sharp pains take another week. don't skate until your foot feels absolutely normal, you'll save yourself a worse injury

VegasGirl
03-10-2006, 05:49 AM
That's a perfectly valid opinion, but your advice will do a lot more good if you can think of a kinder way to say it. :roll:

It was not meant as advice... how could it since the person/persons in question is/are not even present on the forum?
It was my opinion, nothing more, nothing less!!!

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2006, 07:03 AM
I didn't call MrsRedboots dumb I called the girl in question dumb and her mom... and yes, I stand behind that! Letting you daughter skate with a broken bone, against doctor's wishes to boot is plain old dumb and borders on neglect/abuse if you ask me.Actually, I didn't say anything about a doctor's advice - the coach suggested that his skater take a well-earned day off (many people do, after all, when they have just skated in a competition), and the skater decided she didn't want to do that. I asked her how her wrist was, and she said it was fine! Rather smart blue splint, nicer than the flesh-coloured ones people normally have!

Incidentally, none of the skaters in question had a plaster cast (I have seen one girl skate with one, though); they all insisted on removable splints. As, indeed, did an adult skater friend of mine who broke her wrist at a camp - the A&E wanted to put it in plaster, but she wouldn't allow it, despite being warned that it would be more painful. I think she missed one session of the camp, if that....

Anyway, as I think you may have gathered from reading this thread, many skaters don't believe in asking doctors in case they get told!

VegasGirl
03-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Anyway, as I think you may have gathered from reading this thread, many skaters don't believe in asking doctors in case they get told!

And that's exactly where my "How dumb can you be" statement comes in!!!

PattyP
03-10-2006, 10:20 AM

Well, I asked my Dr. about my injury and his comment to me was that I was too old to skate and that I shouldn't expect my body to handle the jumps anymore. He told me to give it up completely and take up biking. I'm 42.

I just competed at Pac Coast Sectionals and got the bronze medal and now I'm going to AN. Obviously I've ignored my Dr.'s advice. Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm happy! :D

Skittl1321
03-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't have any comments to the OP, but want to reply to the adult who was told to stop skating (that's just silly)

I think the major difference here is that you are an adult and you can make your own choices, and accept the consequences if the doctor turned out to be right.

A child cannot always know what is in their best interest, and a parent is responsible for making choices for the child.

I broke my neck when I was in high school. As I was going into surgery I was telling the doctor "I don't have time for this." I fully understand the need to keep practicing, but it isn't always the best thing. Not every skater wants- say- a double hip replacement before they are an adult. To some, it's worth it.

I made the decision to stop PT earlier than recommended and am now regretting that. I figured that once I was out of the brace full time, and I could get through a regular school day and 3+ hours of dance practice then clearly I was back to normal. I now very much regret this decision. My gross motor skills are very much normal, but often my fine motor skills are not nearly as strong as they were before. My mother didn't force me to stay in PT, and I didn't think she should have, but even at the age of 17, she throughouly discussed with me that there might be consequences down the road. If I had been younger, I would have thought it was irresponsible of my mother to let me make the decision myself. At 16-17 it's reasonable to let a child start making their own decisions, as long as they are well informed.

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
A child cannot always know what is in their best interest, and a parent is responsible for making choices for the child. That particular child's mother was recovering from minor surgery on her leg, and the hospital had signed her off work, so she was busy skating.....

EastonSkater
03-10-2006, 04:31 PM

Exactly. Now that is dumb indeed. You are absolutely correct. But I wouldn't worry about it vegasgirl ... I notice that if people make good and correct points here, there's always somebody that will jump in and create an argument out of it, and keep gnawing away even though the person that jumped in is wrong. That is...the person that jumped in keeps gnawing.

EastonSkater
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I asked my Dr. about my injury and his comment to me was that I was too old to skate and that I shouldn't expect my body to handle the jumps anymore. He told me to give it up completely and take up biking. I'm 42.

I just competed at Pac Coast Sectionals and got the bronze medal and now I'm going to AN. Obviously I've ignored my Dr.'s advice. Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm happy! :D

But did the doctor give you hard evidence? Usually the doctor will give convincing evidence. For example...if you've broken a bone badly, then that could be convincing evidence. Or if you have got osteo .... and the doc shows you x-rays ....that's evidence. Or if the doc shows evidence of cartilage damage etc. But if the doc just says 'too old I'm afraid'....then there's some questions to be asked about that.

Like....if the doc did indeed show you evidence and provide really sound reasons for you to not to skate at only 42 years of age, then maybe there is something in it. Because if your body is somewhat damaged already and the doctor has given advice, then maybe you could get some serious regrettable problems by ignoring docs advice. But it all depends on what your case is really.

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Exactly. Now that is dumb indeed. You are absolutely correct. But I wouldn't worry about it vegasgirl ... I notice that if people make good and correct points here, there's always somebody that will jump in and create an argument out of it, and keep gnawing away even though the person that jumped in is wrong.Yes, I've noticed how you tend to do that! ;)

doubletoe
03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
It was not meant as advice... how could it since the person/persons in question is/are not even present on the forum?
It was my opinion, nothing more, nothing less!!!

Good point, LOL! Don't you just hate it when people walk in, unknowingly plant a little land mine, then walk away? BTW, for the record, I do agree with you that seeking a doctor's advice is a smart thing to do (and going for a second opinion if in doubt).

EastonSkater
03-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Good point, LOL! Don't you just hate it when people walk in, unknowingly plant a little land mine, then walk away? BTW, for the record, I do agree with you that seeking a doctor's advice is a smart thing to do (and going for a second opinion if in doubt).

I agree completely. Some folks have a habit of doing that.

Isk8NYC
03-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Thread Closed.