View Full Version : Help with skate sizes

KESSA
03-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi All
I'm new to skating and this forum and need a bit of help. I want to buy a pair of skates as the rental ones are unbelievably uncomfortable to say the least. When I booked my lesson my coach recommended I get a pair of Risport. I am totally confused over the sizing, in a street shoe I am a UK 4 (US 6 I think) I have measured my feet and the length is 240mm on both, width 80mm (Is that average or wide?) so my question is do you buy a boot that states size 240mm or do you go up to 250mm? Sorry if I'm being really thick, it's just I'm buying them online, (our nearest stockist is miles away!) Oh and I will be using them for basic skating, with a posibility of progressing to jumps (again basic stuff) depending how well I get on. Any help would be great thanks.

fmh
03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I have size six US shoes, and my risport skates are 25.5...they fit with room, you'd probably be looking for something along those lines.

jenlyon60
03-08-2006, 01:58 PM
E-mail the vendor and see if you can fax them an outline tracing of your foot. Include your normal street size also.

I would think that rather than take a guess on the correct size, if the stockist can work from a well-done tracing (lfor example, perhaps match the tracing up with his measuring device for Risports), you would have a better chance of getting the correct size the first time.

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm a size 6 UK which is 39 in Europe, and I think I get a size 8 or 9 in American shoes, if that helps at all! I know when we visited a shoe-shop in the US last year, I was glad to see a box with the size of the shoes within given in both American and Continental sizing, which gave me an idea of where to start looking for shoes which might fit.

doubletoe
03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Don't try to guess the size. Every boot maker has a different sizing system so I would definitely send a tracing of your foot, along with the measurements. Also, it would probably be helpful for you to measure the circumfrence of your foot around the widest part and around the arch (since your foot is a 3-dimensional object and height takes up space in the boot as well).