View Full Version : Adult Basic vs Youth Basic Question

Skittl1321
03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I just enrolled into a local Learn to Skate program for Adult Basic 1-2 (even though I can already do everything at the level, I have to test it before I can register for 3-4 and I'm not sure if the rink will let me test without taking the classes- that's not the point though)

My question is How does Adult Basic 3-4 differ from Youth Basic 3 and Youth Basic 4. Has my rink just combined them for convience or are they always combined? Are the skills covered the same?

The blurb for the class says that AB 3-4 covers "forward to backward two-foot turns and correct use of blade for forward stroking" these are the same skills it lists for Youth Basic 3, but does not include the Youth Basic 4 skills, however the blurb for Adult Basic 5-6 covers the skills in Youth Basic 5.

So are the youth and adult programs covering different skills, or do you think this is this the rink trying to save space in their brochure?

These are the USFSA patch programs, I'm talking about- not just local skating programs.

Although I am confident I remember how to skate (I never did above Youth Basic 2 and skating in circles at the rink though) I am SO excited about going skating again but very very nervous. I am going to go today to see if I can still do all the Basic 1-2 skills and if I can I'm going to see if the rink will let me test them and take the 3-4 class, rather than a repeat of 1-2. I know that going back through basics will be good for me, but I really don't want to take a class with people who are still struggling to stand up on the ice. I'm not really sure what an adult skating class will be like. Any words of confidence, as well as any types of answers to the convulted question above will be appreciated.

flo
03-07-2006, 01:34 PM
They are very similar. You can go to the USFSA site and get the specific requirememnts for all badges. We also offer both, and when the adults pass beyond these levels into freestyle, some go for the badge track and others just want to learn the skills with no testing. We do both.

Skittl1321
03-07-2006, 01:48 PM

I did check out the USFSA webpage, but wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly- most likely the rink was trying to save printing space.

Isk8NYC
03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Hmmm. I'm confused. The Basic Skills Adult skills shown at http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=120 are very different from those in my Instructor's Manual. They're much easier, to tell the truth. My book's from 2000, so maybe there have been revisions; I'll have to ask for a new copy.

The original Learn to Skate (LTS) program for the USFSA had eight initial skills tests, which are the ones shown under "Basic Skills Curriculum." BTW, these eight tests are often referred to as the "Basic 8" curriculum. The USFSA later added the Snowplow Sam and the other tracks.

In any case, I think your rink is using the same test structure for both the Adult and Youth groups, based on the brochure. The way to find out for sure is to go early and ASK the director. If you really can do all the items in their Adult 1-2 class, ask to be evaluated. (You may have to come to a different session.)

You could get lucky and only a few adults will have signed up for the class, which gets you more attention and teaching. I wouldn't want to take classes with the kids, if I were you. They learn differently, they fool around, and they distract the teacher, which means less attention for you.

Be patient and good luck tonight! Report back tomorrow, okay?

Skittl1321
03-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Well the classes don't start until April 5, so I emailed the rink to see if I would be able to test before then. They are calling their program Adult Basic 1-2, but it goes up to 8, so I assume they just mean adult 1- which coincides with youth 1-2. If they are really teaching both Adult 1 and Adult 2, based on the skills on the USFSA site, I guess it is the right class- I don't know the Adult 2 (which are the youth 3-4 skills). It's all quite confusing- hopefully the rink will get back to me soon. The classes are limited to 10, so I'm worried that the 3-4 program will fill up before I can test 1-2 and get registered.

I can't go skating until Friday- and at an open session- but I think I can manage to make sure I can still do swizzles :) What kind of "forward stopping" is required at that level? (See why I want to work at least one session with a coach? Although it will cost the same for an hour with the coach as the entire class, since the rink closes in May, it's worth it to test out of the level to spend the 6 weeks working on something new)

Is skating at a very basic level like riding a bike? Like I said, I haven't skated in years- am I delusional to think I'll still be able to do swizzles?

Is it bad that I want to play hooky from work to skate at a morning adult session? Even though my skill level is limited to swizzles?

Isk8NYC
03-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Is it bad that I want to play hooky from work to skate at a morning adult session?

Nah, not bad at all. On this Board, it's called Adult Onset Skating Syndrome (AOSS) and lots of people play hooky from regular life to get in a bit of time at the rink. I took a two-hour lunch yesterday to go skating!

Forward stopping at that level is a two-foot forward snowplow stop.

sue123
03-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Nah, not bad at all. On this Board, it's called Adult Onset Skating Syndrome (AOSS) and lots of people play hooky from regular life to get in a bit of time at the rink. I took a two-hour lunch yesterday to go skating!

Forward stopping at that level is a two-foot forward snowplow stop.

I rearranged my work schedule, as well as my class schedule to make sure I have time for my lesson and practice time. I'm in class until later, and I work later, but I get to keep my skating.

dbny
03-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Is it bad that I want to play hooky from work to skate at a morning adult session? Even though my skill level is limited to swizzles?

The outdoor rink where I go every Tue, Wed, and Thur morning usually has 5 or six adults skating. Yesterday and today there were 20! People are obviously cutting work to get in that one more day of beautiful outdoor ice.

Skittl1321
03-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I wish our outdoor rink was still opened, but it closed last week :(

I am really debating changing my work hours so I can skate on Monday mornings- my concern is that the "Adult" session is really a "Good Adults" session. And obviously, I am still very new to this. It is not designated a Freestyle session, and the rink management avoided my "what level is represented" question by saying "all adults are welcome"

So I'm not sure if I should go to Adult skates just yet- I'm very nervous about skating then, because I assume only "skaters" attend morning sessions- as opposed to the open sessions on the weekends where I feel advanced because I can stand up on my own.

How do you all feel when a new person comes to your rink and is below the skill level of everyone else? If it isn't a freestyle session do you still begrudge their lack of skills and the space they take up on the ice? Or are you just glad to see another face that means it is less likely an undercrowded session will be canceled?

flippet
03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I am really debating changing my work hours so I can skate on Monday mornings- my concern is that the "Adult" session is really a "Good Adults" session. And obviously, I am still very new to this. It is not designated a Freestyle session, and the rink management avoided my "what level is represented" question by saying "all adults are welcome"

So I'm not sure if I should go to Adult skates just yet- I'm very nervous about skating then, because I assume only "skaters" attend morning sessions- as opposed to the open sessions on the weekends where I feel advanced because I can stand up on my own.

How do you all feel when a new person comes to your rink and is below the skill level of everyone else? If it isn't a freestyle session do you still begrudge their lack of skills and the space they take up on the ice? Or are you just glad to see another face that means it is less likely an undercrowded session will be canceled?

Have you peeked in on one of the Adult sessions? Your assumptions about their skating levels may be wrong. Also...'good' can look very different depending on which side of the fence you're on. To a newbie, someone who's practicing a waltz jump and maybe a toe loop may look 'good'....to that skater, a 'good' skater may be someone doing an axel.

When I skated regularly, my lunchtime public session usually ended up being mostly adults--a few figure skaters, a couple of hockey regulars, the occasional cubicle escapee or mom with kids. In my experience, we were always welcoming of new adult skaters--fresh meat! :lol: Seriously, adult skating is usually pretty friendly, and we love to help newbies. The only ones that get on our nerves are ones who are not respectful, refuse to pay attention to their surroundings, or try to intimidate the other skaters/hog the ice. But these folks are the exception, not the rule. As long as you're trying to learn the 'ice rules', it doesn't matter if you're just finding your edges, and others are jumping. A very distinct separation of levels is what a freestyle is for, and if anyone's going to get their nose out of joint for you being on the ice, then they can find a freestyle to skate.

I'd try one session if I were you, and see if you like the atmosphere and the numbers, and if you do, then rearrange your schedule.

quarkiki2
03-09-2006, 08:34 AM
I LOVE it when new adult skaters come to our rink. I think very highly of anyone who takes this sport up after the age of 16 -- it's darn hard and takes guts and a little bit of insanity -- my kind of people!!!

My rink is teriffic with adults -- all of the instructors and coaches welcome adult students and really go out of their way to help us be successful. Our competitive skaters are also very respectful of less-skilled skaters on the ice -- my Saturday AM freestyle usually has our competitive kids and they always greet me a frequently chat off-ice about many different subjects. I think it has to do with good parenting and good coaching -- they never treat beginners like we don't belong on the ice.

I would LOVE an all adult session, just because I really enjoy the company of the adult skaters at the rink -- I like supporting them and cheering them on!

Skittl1321
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I might try to make one of the adult sessions next week.