View Full Version : Stretching For A Good Spiral

Micky-Fox
03-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Hey all. Lately I have been spending a lot of time working on my spiral and at the moment I can get my leg parallel to the ice, so it's in a sraight line. My coach says I have good technique, I just need balance to steady it. The reason I can't balance out my spiral is because it's hard to keep my leg that high and hold it in the position. What kind of stretching or excercises would you recommend for a high and stable spiral? Thanks a bunch.

SkatingOnClouds
03-07-2006, 03:00 AM
Hope you get some good answers to your question, I have a similar problem. I am conscious of pushing my free leg up as high as I can, and I think that knocks my balance off, because I get really wobbly, sort of rock back & forwards on my blades.

VegasGirl
03-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Good stretching exercise for this is to stand on the ice at the wall with hands resting on it. First kick your free leg back a few times to loosen up and stretch those muscles. Then hold it up in it's highest position... keep your shoulders parallel to the ice and do not bring them below wall level but rather keep them up a bit higher... now push yourself to bring the free leg up just a bit higher (not yanking it up but rather gently pushing it up further) while arching your back in order to not let the shoulders come down.

When you're actually doing the spiral start out lifting your free leg while still keeping your shoulders up and then slowly have your shoulders follow... but not too far down... and arch your back slightly.

I get the impression you both either swing the free leg too much or bring your shoulders down too far (o both ;) ). It all should be a very controlled fluid movement with the balance consistently staying over your "standing" foot.

Joan
03-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Core strengthening is necessary for a good spiral too - it is not just how flexible you are!

I went to an ice skating seminar in which an interesting exercise was introduced. It needs a partner - First have your partner push your leg up into spiral position, to see how high it can go without hurting. Hold onto the wall or a ballet bar or something, so that balance is not a problem. Then, on your own, raise your leg in spiral position and once it is there, have your partner press down on your leg while you use your muscles to oppose the downward push. Finally, repeat the first exercise - and you should find that your partner can now push your leg up higher than the first time. This works because muscles work in opposition - to get a good stretch, one set of muscles must stretch while another must contract. This exercise brings out the best of both efforts.

TashaKat
03-07-2006, 08:16 AM
When you're doing a spiral or a stretch think about reaching out diagonally upwards with your toe and leading arm rather than just thinking 'up'. This will stop you compressing your spine and will give you a really nice line PLUS it makes everything more stable. It should almost feel as though someone is behind you gently pulling your leg back and up at the same time.

Definitely work on your core stability as this will help you too. Lots of stretching and work with the spiral position at the barrier (or at the barre if you take dance classes) will give you a good spiral.

Isk8NYC
03-07-2006, 09:03 AM
First of all, always STRETCH first, even if it's just on the floor or on the wall.
Especially before doing any kicking exercises, it helps prevent injuries.

Here's an off-ice exercise:
Wearing your skates with guards to protect the floor and the blades, set up a chair to balance into position. (Those of you with barre's are so lucky!)

Your upper body should not break at the waist - someone once described it as a "banana" stretch.

Bend your "skating" knee, and slowly lift the free foot behind you as far as possible. Straighten the knee and lift the free foot further.

Keep your back arched. Hold for a few seconds.

Now reverse the process - lowering it slowly uses different muscles that you also need strengthened in order to get out of a spiral gracefully.

I use ankle weights to add resistance.

After you've done several slow ones, practice some quick get-into-position ones as well.

Isk8NYC
03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Then, on your own, raise your leg in spiral position and once it is there, have your partner press down on your leg while you use your muscles to oppose the downward push.

Oh, I like that so much better than the "have a partner lift your foot" version. I always worry that a student is going to get hurt from hyperextending. Thanks for the tip!

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Several things have helped me with my spiral:
1. Core strength, especially ab work but you also need back strength
2. Technique: I learned at the Adult Edge workshop at Aston, PA last year when spiralling, you must push forward the skating foot while pulling back the hips! Scary as all get-out at first, but it helps give you more stretch
3. My private coach has me do a "process" which has really helped
-lift your torso-imagine the string pulling you UP through your head
-lock your knees-both legs
-lower your torso while lifting the non-skating leg and be sure that you
--point your toe out
--keep your arms in your peripherial vision at shoulder height, so you can steer, don't keep all the way back as it throws off your balance
--remember the "push skating leg forward while pulling hips back" thing-it helps!

Stretching every day helps, as does right after you've warmed up skating. Especially if you have a spiral in your routine, or if you are working on them that day.

doubletoe
03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Stretch every day after you skate, starting with calves, then doing a split stretch but only pushing to where it feels uncomfortable (not painful) and then holding for 30 seconds. Also, about 10 minutes into your skating session (or however long it takes your muscles to warm up) do several spirals on each leg and hold each spiral as long as you can. This will stretch your hamstrings, improve your balance and build up your glute muscles all at the same time. You need strong upper glute muscles to hold that heavy boot up at the end of your leg, and an effective way to do that is doing lots of spirals and holding them as long as you can.

Micky-Fox
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys! :)

I will surely take all of this into account when I get onto the rink this afternoon. I just got my new skates, and I have to start breaking them in as well. I have a feeling it's gonna hurt like hell. Haha. Any tips on that?

doubletoe
03-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Heat molding, gel ankle sleeves and gel disks! :P
What brand and model are your new boots?

Micky-Fox
03-07-2006, 04:07 PM
They're Jacksons. And at the moment, they feel uncomfortable, although I've only tried on the left skate once. :P

SkatingOnClouds
03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
When you're doing a spiral or a stretch think about reaching out diagonally upwards with your toe and leading arm rather than just thinking 'up'. This will stop you compressing your spine and will give you a really nice line PLUS it makes everything more stable. It should almost feel as though someone is behind you gently pulling your leg back and up at the same time.

Definitely work on your core stability as this will help you too. Lots of stretching and work with the spiral position at the barrier (or at the barre if you take dance classes) will give you a good spiral.

Core body strength - damnit! I have realised how little I have. Can't afford time or money for pilates, yoga or ballet though, so must do my best with skating and off ice exercises.

I usually pull both arms back towards my hips rather than having my leading arm forward. It pulls my shoulders back and arches my back, but do you think it could be contributing to my balance problems?

beachbabe
03-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm going to reccomend the good old exercise of the split or half split. i find that people who can do the split well and have core and thigh strength can easily stretch as high as Sasha cohen or close to atleast. So pilates type exercises are great. Also when i used to do yoga, the spiral position for me was always effortless...I barely had to even think about stretching. Yoga keeps you so stretched out and flexible, very good exrcise and overall strength.

so in summary, try to do the split and yoga with emphasis on core strength and stretching. Don't overlook thigh strength, b/c that is always what seems to be shaking when people try to do the spiral.

Skate@Delaware
03-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Core body strength - damnit! I have realised how little I have. Can't afford time or money for pilates, yoga or ballet though, so must do my best with skating and off ice exercises.

I usually pull both arms back towards my hips rather than having my leading arm forward. It pulls my shoulders back and arches my back, but do you think it could be contributing to my balance problems?
A good exercise to do-crunches! You can vary them by twisting sideways on the way up. If you have an exercise ball, you can lay on it and work your abs, then lay on your belly and work your lower back and legs by arching your back and lifting one leg up.

If you keep your arms just in your peripheral vision, it will help with your balance until your core strength is better. You can "steer" with your arms by putting one or the other slightly more forward than the other. Also, when you spiral-think "REACH" with all your body parts! You should imagine you are made of rubber and try to pull or reach them all out-extend as far as you can go while holding in your abs, and tightening your glutes and other muscles, breathe, and don't forget to smile!:lol: