View Full Version : Recreation or Comfort Skates

Lippylulu
03-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I a a 42 year old, overweight mom of a skater and..well..I am under the delusion that maybe I can get on the ice and skate too. I skated as a child but when I put on the rentals at the rink last week my ankles and feet hurt so badly I only got around once. I don't know if this is because of my weight, the skates, or just being unused to skating. Anyway, I have seen a new kind of skate out there called recerational or comfort skates. Jackson makes one called Softec and Reidell and Nike also make them. They have a boot that looks more like a hiking boot than a figure skate...with velcro, foam, thinsulite and what look like lots of ankle support. Over the years I have sprained my right ankle numerous times so I am concerned about good ankle support. Anyone know if these would be a good choice for me, or would I be better of with a decent figure skate (I have no desire to figure skate--just want to be able to skat around the rink for fun and exercise). Thanks.

SkatingOnClouds
03-07-2006, 02:57 AM
I too looked at leisure skates on the internet when making my return to skating (I'm 46 and I weigh over 200 lbs).

In the end I "knew" I was going to want to jump and spin etc again, so I would need decent support.

If you "know" in your heart of hearts that all you are ever going to want to do is go around the rink and maybe try a couple of turns and things, well leisure skates might be a good choice for you.

I would definitely try them on first though, and I don't just mean see if they fit. Walk around in them, sit in them and then walk around some more. Just 'cos they fit doesn't mean they'll be comfortable.

mdvask8r
03-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Several of my adult students have been wearing these skates and absolutely love them. Our pro shop has also had several coaches purchase them to wear while teaching. One of the brands, can't remember which one right now, comes with a removable blade. The coaches have been replacing the recreational blade with a higher level blade with mounting holes that match up. I'll have to get the details on which blades fit & report back.

Rusty Blades
03-07-2006, 04:58 AM
One of the brands, can't remember which one right now, comes with a removable blade. The coaches have been replacing the recreational blade with a higher level blade with mounting holes that match up. I'll have to get the details on which blades fit & report back.

Jackson have a replaceablel blade system but they are fairly expensive - not much cheaper than buying two different blades The advantage is in being able to switch blade types without having a second set of boots.

I a a 42 year old, overweight mom of a skater and..well..I am under the delusion that maybe I can get on the ice and skate too

No delusion at all Lippy! I am a 56 year old, overweight desk-jockey who last skated 36 years ago and returned mid-January. Progress has been slow but steady. I loved figure skating and knew I wouldn't be content just skating in circles so I bought a good pair of boots and blades to start. Don't forget, you could always start with recreational skates and move to something else in a few years if you want.

Welcome back Lippy!

Isk8NYC
03-07-2006, 06:37 AM
I have a few students (mostly boys) with the Softec skates. I've noticed that the blades tend to pitch towards the heel. It's probably just the way they were sharpened, but I can see that they glide with their weight just at mid-foot.

Other than that, they're comfortable and provide light support. Perfect for scooting around doing laps, not so good for spins or jumps. Your choice.

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2006, 06:54 AM
I a a 42 year old, overweight mom of a skater and..well..I am under the delusion that maybe I can get on the ice and skate too.No delusion at all! I did, at your age. And now my skater no longer skates (she lives in a town that has no rink), but her father and I compete internationally..... against people of our age and skill level, of course, but, as my coach says, I'm the only triple international gold medallist he has!

Adult skating is a fantastic sport, and you get to make friends with skaters all over the world!

flo
03-07-2006, 08:27 AM
It's a great way to start. You can always upgrade when needed. Another option is to look for used boots. This eliminates the horrid break in time and also the cost! I started with a used pair and so was very comfortable for the early lessons.

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Uschi Kezzler at Iceworks, Aston PA skates in them while she coaches and says the ones with the thermal lining are very warm. She has the stock blade (or did last year) and even did a double axel in them.

dbny
03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Uschi Kezzler at Iceworks, Aston PA skates in them while she coaches and says the ones with the thermal lining are very warm. She has the stock blade (or did last year) and even did a double axel in them.

Ah, but the elite skaters can do Axels in rentals! We lowly mortals dare not try :lol:.

I have several adult students in the Jackson Softecs, and think they are a best buy for recreational skates. Echoing what several others have already said - you are not too old, go for it!!!

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Some of our girls were seeing what jumps and spins they could do in their hockey skates! It was very comical! Especially the toe-pick assisted jumps!
8O
They only tried a few times but every one was dying laughing, and they were too! I think they were fairly bruised, but not too hurt!

(these are teenagers with their doubles and can do flying spins and stuff)

Lippylulu
03-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Now I have to decide between thr Jackson Softec and the Reidell 850. They seem similar. I wish I could find places that had them in stock to try on but most shops seem only to have figure skates. I live in the NYC area, Any suggestions?

Casey
03-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Ah, but the elite skaters can do Axels in rentals! We lowly mortals dare not try :lol:
I have firsthand witnessed a double toe loop done in crappy rentals (really low end reidell with no support)!

dbny
03-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Now I have to decide between thr Jackson Softec and the Reidell 850. They seem similar. I wish I could find places that had them in stock to try on but most shops seem only to have figure skates. I live in the NYC area, Any suggestions?

Paragon Sports has the Softec, but has very low stock now at the end of the season. I don't know if they have the Riedell. CCM also makes a similar skate, I think it's model SP200 or 220. You could give Paragon a call to see what they have. You could also try Wonderland at Chelsea Piers.