View Full Version : Vacation in May Upstate NY - rink recommendations?

sk8mommy
03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
I haven't had a lot of time to post lately here, but I'm progressing...I'm in my second 8 week learn to skate, and I think today I had a breakthrough in front crossovers, which have been giving me fits since I started. I actually did several smooth ones, and I'm starting to really feel my edges. What really helped me was our instructor today told me to think about keeping the inside leg bent through the entire move, and things just clicked from there.

Anyway, the reason I'm REALLY posting....I have a vacation scheduled for upstate NY this year (end of May) and I am trying to find a rink somewhat nearby. I'll be in the Binghamton area for a wedding, and I did find a link for the Broome CC rink, but it looks like that will be out of commission while I'm there. Any others that anyone can recommend?

icecatepairs
03-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah, i travel to binghamton sometimes for work. the broome county arena spends more time with boards on the floor being a v=enue for other activities including the gymnastics meet i usually go up there to coach at. as i recall that area and buffalo are the two places i have a hard time finding ice at. you are pretty close to pennsylvania so that might be your better bet. my suggestion to you is to go to the mapquest website and do a search for "skating Rinks" using the street adress of your hotel as a reference. it will print evey skating rink in a 100 mile radius including the phone number. once you decide what you want to go to, you can even click on to the link for directions. good luck...

vesperholly
03-05-2006, 04:29 AM
If you ever have trouble finding ice in Buffalo, let me know. I know all the good spots! :D

Sorry I can't really help with Binghamton. That's pretty far from Skaneateles, right? There's a decent club there. Try checking out the club websites on SkateWeb.

phoenix
03-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I know there's a rink in Cortland, & 2 in Ithaca (beautiful area / Finger Lakes region). Don't know what their schedule is like.

VegasGirl
03-05-2006, 03:22 PM
There is a rink in Ithaca that's open year round I think, here is the link:

http://bigred2.athletics.cornell.edu/lynah/history.htm

Can't figure out if the Cortland rink is open yearround or not:

http://www.ccyha.com/complexrink.html

sk8mommy
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Keep those ideas coming....I'll be on vacation, so I don't mind traveling a little bit to get to a rink.
I checked out the website for the one in Skaneateles, and it looks good but their schedule isn't updated, so I'll call and find out. It's kind of hard to tell on some of the sites whether the rink is open in summer or not, so I'll prob have to call the ones I'm interested in.
Thanks!

icecatepairs
03-06-2006, 01:04 AM
oh yeah, duh.. silly me ....i went to college in Ithaca. i was just up there last year before the mountain cup for some eternal gymnastics meet. it was at cornell. there is a rink right on campus...but it was under renovation at the time. they do have a figure skating blub though. try cass park in ithaca off triphammer road. there is one in lansing as well. but when i was there i went to ciccero. it was about an hour from ithaca. i think the one in lansing and skineatles didn't have weekend times or something

VegasGirl
03-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I was going to say that there is the Twin Ice Arena in Cicero and that's supposed to be open year round but I thought that was too far of a drive. Any way, I just moved in that area and have been meaning to check the rink out. Will do so this week and let you know how it goes. Here's their info:

Cicero Twin Ice Arena
5575 Meltzer Ct
Cicero, NY 13039
(315) 752-7465

VegasGirl
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Went to the Cicero Twin Ice Arena today and it was great!
They have a coffee club skating session for adults on Tueday and Thursdays from (normally) 10:15 until 11:45. The people were all really nice and I had a good time. Another benefit is that it only costs $3.50 a session (skate rental, if needed, is included... as is coffee and donuts 8-) ) and it runs continuously year round.

Public skate is on Saturdays from 1:15-3:15 pm as well as family skate from 8-10pm... cost for those sessions is $4 ea. and as far as I know does not include skate rental. There's also public skate on Sundays from 1:15-3:15 ($4).

Here's their website:

http://ciceroicerink.com/