View Full Version : Coaches Advice needed!

LydiaW
03-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I hope it's ok that I am posting on this thread. I need some advice here...I have tried to start skating again after quitting 8 years ago. I am 18, and I am having a very hard time. I stumble around on the ice, barely able to propel myself. I keep rationalizing..."the ice is bumpy", " my skates aren't sharp enough" and stuff like that...I really want to skate again...it's totally my dream to skate! Also, if someone doesn't skate with me, even if I am surrounded by other skaters, I feel quite alone,and leave the ice.
I want to start taking lessons, but I am unsure if I will have the money in time for them. Is something wrong with me that I can't skate anymore, and fear skating alone? I feel like I need someone to coach me along...give me advice, etc...can a beginner get a coach? how much would it cost?

Sorry for all the questions.

phoenix
03-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I'd suggest signing up for group classes; most rinks offer them. It's less expensive (by far!) than working w/ a private coach, & you'll learn all the basics to get you going & if there's anything wrong w/ your skates/blades, your teacher can check that out for you.

In addition, you'll make some new skating friends, who maybe can meet to practice w/ you, as you get more comfortable w/ being on the ice. This is a solitary sport to some degree, though, so you will have to just learn to be comfortable working on your own & be focused on your practice. I think that will come with time.

garyc254
03-07-2006, 08:54 AM
ITA with phoenix.

Go for group lessons and at the same time make some friends.

Undoubtedly you've grown since you last skated, so getting used to the ice will take some time.

Just go for it!!!!

8-)