View Full Version : Very First Group Lesson. Oy!

sk8guy71
03-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, I went to my very first Adults Learn to Skate lesson this morning. It was an experience, to say the least. Considering that this was the 3rd meeting of the session, everyone was *far* ahead of me (not that they would've had to have been that far since I'd never even *seen* ice skates in person before today), but I did my best to meld right in. Everyone was working on some sort of crossover step (kinda like a grapevine in dancing) where you stand, move your right foot over your left, and so on in a straight line. Once I got the hang of it, I was crossing over lickitysplit. One of the instructors even commented on how well I was doing and said that it didn't look like it was my first time on the ice (I was actually doing better than some of the others who'd been with the group from the beginning). Of course, then they wanted to work on doing it with motion in a circle. lol I had to point out that I didn't even know how to skate in a straight line let alone a circle, so the lead instruction showed me how to do that and I tried a little bit (very awkward feeling) and then the class was over.

The next 30-45 minutes, I simply worked myself on learning how to actually skate, following the railing of the ring and working on moving one foot in front of the other with varying degrees of success. To sum it up, the classic line "toe pick" from the movie rang inside my head more than once. lol I've realized that I need to learn to move on the ice instead of trying to do this hybrid glide/walk on it (which seems to be my natural inclination to do). I did manage to get the hang of it (sort of) a few times, but as soon as I was like "oh, gee! this is it!" ---- splat. I may not be proficient at anything else, but I earned a nice gold star for falling today (several times). Nothing utterly disasterous, but I do have a slight, big bruise on my hand right at the thumb joint. I definitely think I'm going to sign up for private lessons to help me get my "ice legs" about me.

And I've come to the conclusion that I hate rental skates. Sometime about them, bladewise, didn't feel right. I can't put my finger on exactly what, but they just didn't feel like I thought they would feel on the ice --- more akin to stepping out your front door in dress shoes on a patch of ice. I'm not even sure the things had definited edges. :roll: Maybe I need to buy a nice, starter pair of skates. Any suggestions?

JessicaLynn
03-04-2006, 03:37 PM
I would recommend the Jackson Mystique. Those were what I started in (I started 2 years ago as an adult) and they were good until Delta.

http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-prod.html

Have fun skating, it is addicting!! :)

sk8guy71
03-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. However, that particular style is strictly a ladies' skate and I'm not. lol ;)

beachbabe
03-04-2006, 05:20 PM
well you are having trouble b/c of the rentsls being old and not sharpened. I am slightly surprised you were learning crossovers jsut a couple of weeks into basic 1. I didn't learn those untill the end Basic 3.

Thing is, lowele level mens skates are harder to find. I can recommend used skates from your pro shop

if you wanna order online you have several options, for a cheaper skate you can do this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00020FRVU/sr=8-9/qid=1141514115/ref=pd_bbs_9/002-2199510-6187247?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

but this is very basic and wont last very long, in addition to not being leather. You want real leather, on the upper at least.

this page has boots that would be a better choice http://www.usaskates.com/mensfigureskates.html these are mens don't be put off by the color, it says the actual boots are in black. Many beginners start out in the blue ribbon, its good choice and should take you through all those group classes.

hope that helps

flippet
03-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I definitely think I'm going to sign up for private lessons to help me get my "ice legs" about me.

Maybe I need to buy a nice, starter pair of skates. Any suggestions?
A starter level Riedell would probably suit you just fine. My hubby started out in the Riedell 320 level model--I'm not exactly sure what it's called now since they redesigned a couple of years ago.

You don't really need private lessons at this point--you just need more practice. You should practice 2-3 times more than you have lessons in a week, if at all possible. As long as you've been taught how to fall, all you really need is to get out there and practice. If you've missed the first couple of lessons, you may have missed falling instruction--so get to your next lesson early, and ask your coach to teach you--most of it can be done off-ice anyway.

dbny
03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
A starter level Riedell would probably suit you just fine. My hubby started out in the Riedell 320 level model--I'm not exactly sure what it's called now since they redesigned a couple of years ago.

The Riedell 320 is no longer a starter level boot, it's now a very definite freestyle boot, so it would be too much. Jackson makes the Marquis, which is a men's skate a little more advanced than the Mystique. It goes from about $115 to $150. Riedell in general makes a narrow boot, while Jackson is known for a wider boot. If you are interested in a Riedell, look at models that come with a blade. Model numbers 280 and lower are recreational and would be suitable for a beginner.

I respectfully disagree with flippet about private lessons. I give private lessons to beginner adults all the time, and I do think most people progress faster that way. From your description of the way you move on the ice, I think you may have a very basic misconception about how it should be done (you don't step ahead in basic straightforward movement), and one or two private lessons could straighten that out right away. You do want to get things fixed before you develop bad habits. For example, I am having to help an adult unlearn moving her right arm forward and back with every step and turning to the right constantly because she spent so much time pulling herself along the wall 8O. That said, group lessons are a great way to learn the basics and also to make adult skating friends.

SkatingOnClouds
03-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Personally I advocate private lessons. My experience was that I advanced much faster than those in group lessons only, and my daughter is the same.

In a group there is only so much personal attention you can get for your individual faults and problems. A one-on-one can sort these things out before they become ingrained bad habits.

Of course, it does depend on what you are hoping to get out of your skating.

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. However, that particular style is strictly a ladies' skate and I'm not. lol ;)Two words: shoe dye! If you can't find a sensible pair of men's skates in your size, either new or used, then get women's and dye them black.

flippet
03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I guess I'm speaking from my personal experience, which is that I've never had private lessons, and I simply flew along with group lessons. If I'd had privates, I'm sure I'd have gone even faster, but I was always far and away the 'best' in my groups, and I never felt 'held back'--I felt I was progressing well, and at a good rate. The other adults in my groups did have the occasional private lesson...and I never saw that it helped them all that much---where I did see them improve was when they managed to get in adequate practice.

But then, I have a 'quick-learn' personality, and I learn not only from what the coach is telling me, but also from what they might be telling someone else. I also use any time the coach spends with another student as 'processing time' for me, so none of it's really wasted. I catch on to the concept quickly, so the only thing left to do is put it into body memory, which requires repetition.

But everyone learns differently, I guess. I just felt that for me, privates at the basic levels would be a waste of money, and my limited funds would be better spent on more ice time. But if money isn't an object, definitely go for some private lessons.

dbny
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM
But then, I have a 'quick-learn' personality, and I learn not only from what the coach is telling me, but also from what they might be telling someone else. I also use any time the coach spends with another student as 'processing time' for me, so none of it's really wasted. I catch on to the concept quickly, so the only thing left to do is put it into body memory, which requires repetition.

It's called talent! Wish I had some of it. I had to work very hard as a kid to get anything at all. I learned the dances in group, but without private lessons, I doubt that I ever would have reached gold. Now, many, many years later, I can see what has to be done very quickly, and understand everything I see, but that's a result of all of those early years of technical training on roller skates. IMO, the majority of adult beginners do need some individual attention. Many of them get it in groups, but sometimes the groups are too large, or the composition of the group is such that someone gets overlooked.

sk8guy71
03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I definitely think I'm going to inquire about private lessons. There are a wide variety of rates charges by instructors at the rink I'm going to and many are *very* reasonable (and down right cheap compaired to some prices I've heard). I went to the rink this afternoon for a bit of practice for an hour with the express goal of working on getting my ice-legs as well as maneuvering around the ice. I'm proud to report that I only fell twice (both within the 1st 10 minutes of stepping on the ice). I managed to increase my incriments of consistant skating time, taking little breaks for a few minutes here and there to process in my head what was working and what wasn't working. I started with skating a few feet, then rest and process. I eventually worked up to skating around the outside edge of the rink for 1/2 laps at a time (then rest to process and evaluate). Before the hour was out, I had progressed to doing complete laps around the rink (with a rest/process period after each lap), working to move further and further away from the wall. Eventually, I was skating in free space quite a ways away from the wall, feeling more and more steady and confident with more of a sense of security in the feeling of being on ice. Now my thighs are killing me and I have a nasty blister in the arch of my left foot (cursed rental skates! I'm definitely buying some of my own).

I'm proud to say I can now maneuver around the rink!

Now I just need to learn how to stop. :frus:

VegasGirl
03-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Two words: shoe dye! If you can't find a sensible pair of men's skates in your size, either new or used, then get women's and dye them black.

Wouldn't recommend that since men's feet are in general built a bit different than women's feet...

VegasGirl
03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I think the Jackson Marquis is the men's equivalent of the Mystique but I can only find it on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-MARQUIS-Ice-Figure-Skates-for-BOYS_W0QQitemZ3695687287QQcategoryZ26344QQcmdZView Item

Wonder if it's been discontinued...

sk8guy71
03-05-2006, 03:45 PM
LOL. The ebay seller (IceSkatingWorld.com) is based out of the ice rink I've been going to in Lexington. I believe the Ice Skating World website is run by Marta Nilsen who is the full-time pro at the rink.

dbny
03-05-2006, 04:09 PM
I think the Jackson Marquis is the men's equivalent of the Mystique but I can only find it on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-MARQUIS-Ice-Figure-Skates-for-BOYS_W0QQitemZ3695687287QQcategoryZ26344QQcmdZView Item

Wonder if it's been discontinued...

It's still on the current Jackson website, so I don't think it's discontinued.

sk8guy71, Congrats on your determination and progress! When you choose a coach, look for someone with experience with adults. Watch a few lessons and see if you can find someone who you think will work well with you. Every coach has a different style, and just like boots, there is no one coach who is perfect for everyone.

VegasGirl
03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
LOL. The ebay seller (IceSkatingWorld.com) is based out of the ice rink I've been going to in Lexington. I believe the Ice Skating World website is run by Marta Nilsen who is the full-time pro at the rink.

Wow, what a coincidence! In that case... go and try on a pair! :)