View Full Version : Another "Should I buy these"? (sorry!)

sunshinepointe
03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I've been putting off getting new skates for financial reasons - my current boots aren't entirely broken down yet so I'm trying to make them last as long as possible but they are on their last legs. Anywho, I was at a local rinks pro shop getting a sharpening (yay!) and I asked to try on a couple of boots while I was waiting to see if I needed a different size since my current ones are a little too big after being stretched out. Unfortunately they didn't have any Jackson's in my width, but the guy behind the counter said he had a pair of Graf's in the back that he would sell to me for 100 bucks. I tried them on and they seemed to fit okay - I was in a hurry at that point so I didn't take the time to really test them out. I know nothing about Graf's and I asked why they were so cheap and he said simply because it's an older model. I told him I'd call my coach and get back to him on it - 100 bucks seems like a steal.

My coach says if they fit to definitely buy them - she says they're very lightweight but a good make and again 100 dollars is a great price. I read through a couple of reviews on this board and the only thing that concerns me is that if they're such a lightweight skate will they give me support? I'm 5'9 (and change) and 165, and while I'm trying to drop a couple pounds the fact is that I'll never be "light". As a frame of reference, I'm currently in Jackson Competitors and they're pretty much broken down after 6 months.

I DO need to try them on again to make sure they fit and all, but what is the general consensus on their durability. I actually like the idea of them being lightweight in terms of feeling on my feet, but I don't want them to break down in like, a month or two.

jp1andOnly
03-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Are they Edmonton specials?

If they are, they will for sure last you

TaBalie
03-03-2006, 07:36 PM
What model of Graf's are they? I am heavier than you, and the Edmonton Special's provide enough support for me -- I really love them (and I paid around $550 for them! lol)...

sunshinepointe
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
DOH! I meant to put down that they are Graf Richmond Specials - sorry!

becca
03-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I was about your size when i had grafs (edmonton specials though)...a little shorter but roughly the same weight. I found that they gave me plenty of support but they broke down faster then the Jackson's I currently have. The other issue that I had with Grafs was that they didn't give much warning as they were breaking down, they were fine one week and I was barely getting by in heavly taped ones the next. Still, for $100 I'd give it a try...even if they only last 4 months you've got your moneys worth and then some. Also, I forgot to mention that I was working on doubles and skating every day (usually 2 sessions ) so if you are doing less jump or time wise, they might last even longer.

SkatingOnClouds
03-03-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm in Graf Galaxy, as you have no doubt read. If I could get hold of another pair of Graf any model for $100 I would buy them.

Although I am struggling to get a comfortable fit because of my dreadful bunions, these skates are otherwise very comfy. I've been told the Galaxys probably won't last me long because they are so light, and I am over 200 lbs, doing single jumps, skating 6 hours a week. At my size I am pretty hard on boots.

Casey
03-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I have Graf Edmonton Specials. I'm not happy with them but heck, I'd buy another pair for only $100.

jazzpants
03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
You *could* have them as your backup or travel skates. $100 sounds like a steal to me. If they fit you, I'd say "What the heck!!!" :D

Terri C
03-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Sadly, one of our skaters had a bad experience with Grafs.
Her mother ordered them back in October and just got them a week ago, with the sole warped to where mounting a blade would be impossible without breaking the blade.
She sent them back and is getting another brand.
Just FYI.

emma
03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
DOH! I meant to put down that they are Graf Richmond Specials - sorry!
i have Graf Richmonds and i love them but they are tearing on the outside of both boots!!! i am 5`7 and 120 punds working on getting my doubles back. I should have gone with the Edmontons as Graf boots being as light weight as they are have problems with ripping. A couple of other skaters (doing doubles and triples) are in Edmontons are having problems with ripping as well. I need new boots and am not sure i would go back to Grafs until they fix this problem. But even with this problem i love the comfort of the boot. emma

sunshinepointe
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Update: I went back and tried the skates on again and despite being slightly long in the toe area, the heel fit fine and they were super comfortable without socks. I don't know how long they'll last but at 100 bucks they're a steal me thinks. Problem now is that my old blade doesn't fit - a friend of mine needs new blades so she's going to buy mine from me (they're literally almost brand new - they've had only 3 sharpenings including the initial) and I'll put that money towards a new blade. My coach is going to check if she has a decent used pair...she thought she had phantoms but not sure of the size. Anywho, thanks for all the tips about Grafs - hopefully I don't fall in love with them and they break down because then I'll have to shell out the dough for the Edmontons since everyone says they're super stiff. I'm not looking forward to the break in process, but having ankle support will be nice!

TaBalie
03-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Edmontons are not super-stiff at all... They are the stiffest Graf boot, but not nearly as stiff as SP-Teri Super Teris or other boots I have had over the years (Harlick High Testers, custom Harlicks, etc). They offer support, but aren't like bricks -- that is the big complaint about them actually (that they break in/down too easily).