View Full Version : Help me buy skates, please!

CrossedBlades
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm planning to buy a new pair of skates for the summer (there's no ice near my uni, so I only skate on holidays). However, the whole process has me a bit overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure I want Coronation Aces for the blades, but I've got no clue what kind of boots to even look at.

I've read the boots and blades thread, but I just got even more confused :giveup: I don't know much about general brand characteristics, so that may be part of the problem. If you want to wade through \/ and make a recommedation, I'd be much obliged.

Stats-wise, I'm working on my singles (toe loop, salchow) and I can't spin for beans (my current blades are essentially rocker-less). Eventually, I plan to do synchro, but I'm not ready to do so yet (that, and I'm not quite old enough to skate adult). I'm 5'4" and about 125 lbs., with very strong legs. I've got narrow heels, but the balls of my feet are normal width.

DFW folks, any pro shop recs? It seems like there's not much variety at the StarCenters (I've only glanced at FB and Plano, though).

Sorry this is so long, and many thanks in advance for your help!

Debbie S
03-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Hopefully, someone here from your area can recommend a good pro shop with a fitter that knows how to measure feet, understands figure skates (not just hockey), and stocks (or can order) a variety of boots that you can try on. That would be the best thing for you to do.

If you end up having to go to a pro shop that only sells 1 or 2 kinds of boots (usually it ends up being Jackson and Riedell), then you may want to get your skate size, ball and heel width, and order from afar - I don't recommend this though, since it's much better to try things on in person and get the advice of a reputable and experienced fitter. But if long-distance ordering is your only option, I would recommend you look into SP-Teris, as they are generally designed for someone with your foot shape. Jacksons might work, as long as the heel doesn't feel too wide - it should stay snug and not slip.

Don't let anyone talk you into more boot and blade than you need. Make sure the fitter knows what jumps you are working on and how many hours a week you skate. At your level (well, at any level really) you need a boot that is easy to break in. Coronation Ace sounds like a good choice for a blade. If for some reason, the pro shops in your area don't have them, you could also get MK Professionals, which are basically the Ace's twin and are about the same price.

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Is DFW Dallas-Fort Worth? If so, hang on just a month and the US Adult Championships will be in Dallas, and several skate manufacturers will probably take stalls there, so you can have a look and try on different brands. AND find out where the pro shops in the area are - I expect some of them will be represented, too.

beachbabe
03-03-2006, 03:56 PM
well as im now discovering..finsing perfect fit is a never ending fiasco, however, when I was on your level i got my Jackson Freestyles which i still skate in now and I'm learning doubles, strangely the lutz has been my most sucessful so far, but anyways these boots are great except for mine have been breaking down rather fast. If you are light on your boots, these are great, but I am really tough on my boots. As I discovered yesterday, Risports for example are very narrow, but the boots seem pretty stiff( I tried on super cristallos), what do you skate in now?

nerd_on_ice
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
DFW folks, any pro shop recs? It seems like there's not much variety at the StarCenters (I've only glanced at FB and Plano, though).

Hey, CrossedBlades, I will PM you a couple of names and phone numbers. Stand by...

CrossedBlades
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Dragging this back up to ask some follow-up questions...

I'm almost certain I can get SP Teris, but I'm not sure which boot I need. Would the Pro be enough and/or would the Super Teri be too much boot? I don't want something that's going to break down before it breaks in, but I'm rather fond of my feet, and don't want to get hurt with something too stiff. I wish they had something between "beginner" and "rigorous" :??

I am planning to get fitted, either this week or at AN's if I'm home (thanks for the tip Mrs Redboots - I hadn't thought of the vendors), but I'd feel more comfortable if I had a good idea of what I want going in.

Thanks for all the help! New boots and blades make me so happy :D (but that's just because I'm not breaking them in yet)

Anita18
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I have SPTeri Pro CLs, but I don't know if they're still available. Maybe they're the same thing as Pro's?

I was told that they'd last me through doubles (as if I'd ever get up to them) and they're still going strong after 5 years of skating about once or twice a month. :P (It was more often 4 years ago in high school..) Of course it's also highly dependent on your build. I'm a tall skinny thing at 5'6", 115-120 lbs, so it's not like I'm pounding these skates hard.

I can do singles up to flip/lutz, but I don't really work on jumps when I practice, mostly edges, footwork, and spins. I've heard that MK Professionals (what I have) are fairly easy to spin on, and I've learned basically all of my spins on them. My forward scratch is lousy, but my forward sit is pretty good. Learning backsit, and I just figured out I can put my arms over my head for backspins just last week. :P

ETA: Woops, just read through your entire post more carefully and saw that you did list your build. I think Pros should be okay, considering you're pretty similar to me body-wise.