View Full Version : A Day with Mr. Klingbeil

Yazmeen
08-26-2002, 09:56 AM
I went to Jamaica, New York on Saturday morning, and what an experience it was!!!

The factory is a wonderful cluttered place full of memorabilia and historical items. You can find everything from an autographed poster of Sarah Hughes (she wears Klingbeil's) to old programs from US Nationals 20 years ago, along with some interesting historical paintings, including one of Mr. Klingbeil done in old colonial style.

The experience was amazing. Bill Klingbeil is an absolute delight. He seats you in his famous chair, which is autographed by every skater he fits--I will also have to sign it when I receive my boots. He takes careful measurements of your feet in a ledger and makes drawings of them and then has you place your feet in a box with pink foam. You stand up, and your feet sink into the foam, (which really felt cool!!!) and this creates the impression for the mold for your "last" for the boot.

Then came the part that was truly amazing, although it left me a little chagrined. My friend Diane had told me to bring my present skates, he'd want to look at them. (These were Reidell silver stars, bought used, formerly skates for figures for a young skater--I just added new blades when I got them). He picked up the skates, looked them over, handed one to my husband, and asked me: "Do you have trouble doing any particular moves, like turning?" After I gathered my jaw up from off the floor and told him about my struggles with three turns and sometimes with spinning, he smiled and told me he thought he could explain why: My present boots are too big. I'm a 4, not a 4 and 1/2. My heel is very narrow and myforefoot borders on wide width, and Reidells are not designed for those type of feet!!!! (They are wider in the heel). He said I would have been better off with an SP Teri or Harlick. But what really made me want to scream was when he asked my husband to look at the boot he was holding and pointed out the MY BLADES WERE NOT CENTERED ON EITHER BOOT!!!!! (Not to mention the center stitching was off on both of them.) When I first got them I took them to "Famous Local Pro Shop that shall remain unnamed" and I realize now that they just took off the old patch blades and put new ones on. They never tried them on me even thought I told them I had bought them from someone else!!! :x :( :evil: I was a beginner in group lessons back then, and I didn't know any better. I know my present sharpener noticed they were a little off and shimmed the left one up, but geez, all this time in boots that didn't fit and off center blades. To quote Charlie Brown: AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :? I guess the look on my face was priceless because Bill reached up, took my hand and said, "Don't worry, honey. You're gonna love what I make for you and you'll do fine from now on." The old boots are even cut too high on the ankle for me. He told me they probably keep me from bending my knees well enough, and his boots will lay a 1/2 inch lower on my ankles. After it all sunk in, I felt somewhat relieved. Suddenly, I felt like my poor little skating feet were finally in good hands--I'd found the REAL SkateGod!!! :D :lol:

They will be ready in a few weeks, and I have to order new blades as my blade size is also down 1/2 and inch. He was also very insistent that he will mount my new blades. All in all, it was an amazing day--as an engineer, my husband was totally fascinated the whole time. We got to see the factory, (Skating boots in all stages of preparation) meet his son and crew, and we really felt we were in good hands. I'm very excited and so happy I FINALLY got this done. I just hope I don't have to learn to skate all over again!!! 8O I can't wait to go back!!!

Miss soon to be "Happy Feet,"

Beth ;)

SusanaO
08-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Congratulations!!! That sounds sooo exciting. I wish I could do the same. How do you get an appointment withMr. Klingbeil? I have horrible gargoyle feet and would love a pair of boots made just for them. I think I might just try that later on. Please do keep us posted.:D

Yazmeen
08-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Klingbeil Shoe Labs, Inc.
145-01 Jamaica Avenue
Jamaica, NY 11435

Phone: 718 297-6864
Fax: 718 658-2396

Just call and make an appointment. His Office Manager is Lorraine, and she is a sweetie. He does fittings on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. If you are driving, its best to get an early appointment as you have to use metered parking and according to my skating buddies, it fills up fast. We got there at 8:00 AM for for an 8:30 appointment on a Saturday, and there was plenty of parking. (Bring quarters). You can go hungry as they have coffee and bagels waiting for you!!! You'll meet the whole crew, Bill, his son Don, probably more of the rest of the family, and the cat, who scratches, according to Lorraine, so its best to worship him from afar. According to Don, he's "not their cat, he just hangs out"--I guess the multiple cans of 9 Lives in with the coffee are for the customers!!! :lol: The entire trip was worth it just to see the photos of skaters on the walls (my favorite was an autographed photo of Emily Hughes, Sarah's sister, teasing Don Klingbeil for his bad jokes but he makes a "good boot!!!")

You can also have a pro shop take your measurements and send them to the Lab, although they work on the skates that they personally fit first each week. They are guaranteed--if they don't work for you for whatever reason, your money will be refunded. Cost is fixed: $495 per pair, regardless of size or what has to be done. Payment is cash, certified check, money order only. You will need a $200 deposit when you go for the initial fitting. My friends have also told me they will do yearly maintenance on them--one got hers entirely torn open and repacked when they started to break down, and they were like new again when finished. As you can guess, they take great pride in their work.

Hope this helps,

Beth

SusanaO
08-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks for al the info Beth. I just got my Reidell 320s two months ago. So I think my poor tortured feet will have to wait. Also, I've only been skating about six months so I don't want to get boots that are too much for me. However, I will certainly keep all this in mind the next time I get boots.

garyc254
08-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Beth,

Keep us posted on your new skates. The after purchase experience is as important as the initial visit.

I've forwarded your story along to several friends that are considering custom boots. I'm sure they'll be interested in your experience.

Sounds terrific!!!!

Gary

icesk8er31
08-26-2002, 12:23 PM
Beth,

I'm also waiting on a pair of skates from Klingbiel, so I can share your anticipation. Like you, I have some foot issues that were not addressed by my silver stars that I'm hoping will be improved in my new custom skates. One of my feet is a half size smaller than the other, and I have very narrow ankles. In addition, my left foot tends to pronate, and, as a result, I have warped the top of my boot into an angle. I'm really hoping that the new Klingbiel skates will improve some of my elements, but man, oh man, am I dreading the break in period. My silver stars were awful. And I'm also terrified I'll have to relearn everything now that my feet will be in a different position.

Good luck with yours!

jenlyon60
08-26-2002, 12:38 PM
I have always found Klingbeils to be very easy to break in (I'm on my third pair...)

The first day I wore them on the ice, I was able to go most of a 45 minute session with only 1 minor relace (that due mostly to the slick nylon laces that were shipped with my boots).

I wore them (w/ guards) around the house for a couple hours each night before I got on the ice in them...this because I had a dance test coming up and didn't want to change boots until after the test.

Klingbeils have a rep for being easy to break in.

And... I fully plan to get Klingbeils for my next pair of boots (probably in about a year to 18 months, based on how this pair is going...).

JDC1
08-26-2002, 01:23 PM
I was just about to spend 360 on new SP Teri boots but now you have me thinking maybe I should try Klingbeil. I have a serious problem with my ankle and bruising (and now calluses). I tried on SP Teri's and they seemed high on the ankle and I thought bending in them would be hard and the fitter just said that I would have to adjust, like it's that easy. I have somewhere I could stay in New York. Can you get to them by subway?

Yazmeen
08-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Not being a New Yorker, I'm not sure; However, give Lorraine a call at the factory and ask. Jamaica is not far at all from midtown Manhattan (hubby and I went there afterwards, toured the city, saw "Les Miserables" and just made a wonderful day of it) and I imagine there is some public transportation.

Beth

Mazurka Girl
08-26-2002, 02:49 PM
I bet you will progress a lot faster in skating once you get your new skates. That is so rude that the other place didn't plug the original holes & place the blades properly according to your feet. Unless it couldn't be done with those skates, in which case they should have told you!

I left Silver Stars for SP-Teri (I get the split last boot), but a lot of my friends get Klingbeils & they love them & never complain.

garyc254
08-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
new SP Teri boots.... I have a serious problem with my ankle and bruising (and now calluses). I tried on SP Teri's and they seemed high on the ankle and I thought bending in them would be hard and the fitter just said that I would have to adjust, like it's that easy.

I've skated 3 to 4 sessions a week for the last year and my SP Teri's would still be rubbing holes in my ankles if I weren't wearing bunga sleeves. I've also skived, conditioned, and burnished the leather around the top to remove any sharp edges.

They bend a little more than when they were new, but not much. It was three months before my coaches and I agreed that I could at long last lace the top eyehooks.

A VERY stiff boot. They'll probably live longer than my feet will. :lol:

mikawendy
08-26-2002, 09:35 PM
Yazmeen, congrats. I'm green with envy (though Klingbeils would be too much boot for me now). I wish someone (such as the woman at my pro shop!) had told me before I bought a pair of Riedell 275s that Riedells were not for us folk with wide toes and narrow heels and, in my case, generally mutant :twisted: feet. I'm convinced now that my left boot is a hair too big--I keep having to relace it to prevent it from eventually feeling too loose in the heel, especially after I've been spinning or working on turns for a while. I wear a sock with the forefoot cut off underneath my skating tights on that side to build up my heel, and it still happens. I'm thinking of calling Riedell and asking them if they can ship me something to insert in the left boot.

Have you ever gotten the back of your boot cut lower (like a dance boot) to allow for more knee bend? Does that compromise the support given by the boot?

cheers,
--mikawendy

lisabelle
08-26-2002, 09:42 PM
thanks for sharing your experience. i know a lot of skaters with klingbeils and they are all very happy...i have been considering them for my next pair of skates but mine are still new and ny is pretty far away...we'll see :)

anital
08-26-2002, 11:57 PM
I still LOVE my Riedells!!

jazzpants
08-27-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by anital
I still LOVE my Riedells!!

I like my Riedells too...but I don't LOVE them!!! :P I'm definitely consider Klingbeil as my next boot. (Nothing too high end, of course...probably just the K2 will do for me!) :) And I have a fitter where I live who will do a decent enough job of fitting me. :)

Cheers,
jazzpants

dbny
08-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Yazmeen, congrats on your new boots...you will love them!

Klingbeil's is just a few blocks from a subway stop. I think it is 46th Street on the #7.

Ask for combo cotton/nylon laces. They have them in stock and will gladly substitute them for the all nylon laces. Don Klingbeil volunteered them to me...don't remember why.

As several others have said, Klingbeils are easy to break in. I never had a moments pain in mine during the breaking in period, and was able to skate 1.5 hours the first time. Of course, I only do low level moves, still...

Klingbeils are really not "too much boot" for anyone, as they are made specifically for each individual based on that person's height, weight, skill level and foot shape. I didn't need a super supportive boot, but did need a perfect fit to be able to skate four times a week without pain. I think I could wear my Klingbeils all day in perfect comfort.

Schmeck
08-27-2002, 05:24 AM
Beth, what a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've probably got a few more seasons left in my Riedells, then I'm tempted to trek down to NYC for Klingbeils. I've also got the wide toebox/narrow heel feet not designed for Riedells, but some bunga pads in the heel help a lot. But to have skates that are custom fit? Wow! He certainly sounds like a SkateGod to me too!

Schmeck

sk8pics
08-27-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Yazmeen

But what really made me want to scream was when he asked my husband to look at the boot he was holding and pointed out the MY BLADES WERE NOT CENTERED ON EITHER BOOT!!!!!

Hey Beth,
I'm glad you had such a great experience with your Klingbeil fitting. I've heard many good things about the folks there. But of course the proper location of your blade depends also on how you stand, not just where the center of the boot is. My right blade is very slightly inside and so I stand flat when I think I'm standing flat. If my blade were mounted exactly in the center, I'd be pronating.

For any adult thinking about custom boots, they're wonderful! I have custom SP Teri's, because my left foot is half a size bigger than my right, fitted by Mike Cunningham at Skaters' Paradise (also a great skate fitter).

BTW, it is great that Klingbeil has their satisfaction guaranteed policy, because the competitive skaters I know say that every 4 or 5 pairs they may get a bad boot, and it's always been replaced or fixed. This happend to my coach about a year and a half ago, and he got a free pair of boots out of it, even though he skated on them for months. So just don't automatically assume the boots are perfect; if you have any problems, it might not be you, it might be the boots.

Pat

jenlyon60
08-27-2002, 07:29 AM
I had never previously seen the "mount straight down the center" instructions that came with my most recent pair of Klingbeils...

But then I started thinking... if the measurements were done correctlly (and especially with the foamy mold stuff), then the custom boot can be built to "compensate" for the pronation or suppination or other stance issues ... "Compensation" isn't really the right word... maybe "correction" is a better word. Thus allowing for a "straight down the center" mount.

Not saying it's right. But as I recall, the elder Mr. Klingbeil started in the "corrective shoe/boot" business and migrated into skate boots.

sk8pics
08-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
But then I started thinking... if the measurements were done correctlly (and especially with the foamy mold stuff), then the custom boot can be built to "compensate" for the pronation or suppination or other stance issues ...

Yes, I suppose you're right. But Beth's original boots are not Klingbeils, and I don't think they were custom, so a dead-center mounting may not have worked either. {shrug}

Pat

jenlyon60
08-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by sk8pics

Yes, I suppose you're right. But Beth's original boots are not Klingbeils, and I don't think they were custom, so a dead-center mounting may not have worked either. {shrug}

Pat

That I will agree with. Plus I think as one's skating improves and matures, the blade alignment may need to change, for stock boots. I know that my balance and center of gravity for control of my edges has changed significantly since I started skating, and continues to change, as I deepen my edges or improve my stance.

And I think beginner skaters don't always know how the blade alignment should feel, and can't necessarily explain clearly to the coach what's going on. (Not all beginner skaters, but I dare-say a reasonable number...) And a group lesson coach may not have the time and/or experience (or be willing to take the time) to help a beginner skater get their gear right.

jazzpants
08-27-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Schmeck
I've also got the wide toebox/narrow heel feet not designed for Riedells, but some bunga pads in the heel help a lot. But to have skates that are custom fit?

Yeap! That's my only complain about Riedells. I HATE those toe boxes, but they can be stretched to give you more comfort!!! And I would love for Mr. Klingbeil to take a look at my current boots and tell me exactly what I've been having trouble on. :p

Cheers,
jazzpants

Yazmeen
08-27-2002, 10:56 AM
jenlyon and Pat (sk8pics): I think Jen hit the nail on the head--he designs the boot to compensate for the quirks in the foot. And yes, Jen, you're right--he started in orthopedic shoes, and still does them (although skating boots are probably 90% of his business). He's also the government's number one supplier of specialty footwear--namely orthopedic Army boots!!! :P

He was quite insistent that he mount my next set of blades, and after what he pointed out, I can understand why. My coach and I talked this morning and she is actually moving me "down" (sort of) to the Coronation Ace from the Comet. She feels the Comet has too much toepick and is really unnecessary for a skater of my level. The Ace is less pick and slightly curvier, and I will probably find spinning easier on it. She smiled and said: "Look at it this way, it only took you three years to finally find the right skates--some skaters try for ten years or more!!!" She did warn me that at first the Klingbeil's might feel strange as I will notice that they don't come up as high; However, she said the support will be lower, in the heel where I really need it, and I should adjust just fine. She also said that minimal break-in is needed. She wore her latest pair for four straight hours teaching the first day she had them.

I should mention that my present coach had no say in my present boots and blades. I bought the used boot while still in group lessons, and was suggested either the Ace or Comet, and the "famous pro shop" was hot on Comets at the time, had them in stock, that's what I got. I didn't start privates with Paula until about four months later. For any beginners out there, if you're going to buy skates--talk to a good coach beforehand so you have some guidance into what to get. And get the pro-shop to show you more than one brand!!!

For those who love Reidell's--please, please, please don't think I'm putting them down--they are great boots/skates. I just didn't know they were a poor choice for my little baby feet. Again, everyone I was skating with seemed to use Reidell's at the time. I will put it down to beginner naivete. I didn't know to ask about other brands

jazzpants -- loved your comment about talking to Mr. Klingbeil. I still can't get over how he looked at the skates for a few minutes and immediately pinpointed where I had problems, and was correct!! 8O

I will keep everyone posted on my new babies as they progress!!! :)

Beth

jenlyon60
08-27-2002, 11:11 AM
I actually had my last 2 pairs deliberately cut lower all the way around (3 hooks high instead of 4)--this to help with toepoint and because I'm short. My next pair I'm probably going to have cut a fraction lower than that. (Note: I do only dance and MIF)

My dance coach has his WIFAs (pretty sure they're WIFAs) cut WAY LOW...not much higher than high-top sneakers. It looks weird at first, but I've seen him do the senior International dances, like the Austrian Waltz and Golden Waltz and Tango Romantica at speed and deep edges in them, so I guess they work.

sk8pics
08-27-2002, 11:51 AM
jenlyon and Pat (sk8pics):
The Ace is less pick and slightly curvier, and I will probably find spinning easier on it.

Hey Beth,
I wanted to tell you I just got new blades (still MK Pros) mounted last weekend, because my old blades had really flattened out. So now I actually have some curvature! The first amazing thing was that my back crossovers were quieter because -surprise!- the toepicks were further away from the ice! It was wonderful. My waltz jump was immediately better, too. But the biggest effect was on my 1-foot spin, which now wobbles like crazy as I try to find my new balance point. Once I get adjusted, spins are going to be so much easier, and I hope you will find the same thing with your new curvier blades!

Pat

flippet
08-27-2002, 01:28 PM
Beth, that's great about your new boots! You're going to find that your progress is just going to speed right along with good equipment. Sounds like your struggles are nearly over! ;) (Well....in a manner of speaking, lol! :lol: I guess you'll just move on to bigger and better struggles, more quickly! :D )

Regarding Riedells---while they're not for everyone, they're certainly not a horrible boot. For beginners, especially, if you don't know how a boot should feel, fit, and work for you, and you're fitted for Riedells and they seem to fit (and aren't obviously terribly wrong for you), give them a try. Once you've been around the block a while, and understand more about skate equipment, you can choose something that may be better suited for you (and is bound to be more expensive).

I started in Riedell 220's, broke them in quickly, broke them down quickly, but they were just right for where I was at the time. I moved up to Silver Stars, and those served me well for another year or so. I've never had problems with the toe box, but the heel would get a bit sloppy on my narrow heels after they broke in/down a bit. I now have SPTeri Super Deluxe, and boy are those suckers stiff, but at this point in my skating, I know that stiff is what I like, and I know how I want them to fit in the heel. If someone had recommended a more expensive brand to me at first, and I had a hard time breaking them in, or whatever, I would have been terribly discouraged at spending so much money. With the Riedells, I got a good learning boot, at a good price. And like others have said, you certainly don't want to be over-booted or -bladed as a beginner.

The thing is, and we hear it all the time---you just don't know about boots and blades until you try them...even with all the advice in the world. Skating is a strange beast--you can try to learn a lot before starting out, and while that's wonderful and very helpful, you still just don't know until you've got personal, trial-and-error experience.

jenlyon60
08-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by flippet
Regarding Riedells---while they're not for everyone, they're certainly not a horrible boot. For beginners, especially, if you don't know how a boot should feel, fit, and work for you, and you're fitted for Riedells and they seem to fit (and aren't obviously terribly wrong for you), give them a try. Once you've been around the block a while, and understand more about skate equipment, you can choose something that may be better suited for you (and is bound to be more expensive).

The thing is, and we hear it all the time---you just don't know about boots and blades until you try them...even with all the advice in the world. Skating is a strange beast--you can try to learn a lot before starting out, and while that's wonderful and very helpful, you still just don't know until you've got personal, trial-and-error experience. [/B]

The main thing, I think, is that different skaters have different feet, and what works for me (I have a rather straight symmetric foot) won't work for another skater. I happen to have a foot that works great in Klingbeils. Another skater's foot may work perfect in Harlicks, or WIFAs, or Gams, or SP Teris. And, as I get older and my stance changes, or whatever, Klingbeils may not be the best boot for me.

The other thing is... I've seen too many beginner skaters rush to get the custom Harlicks with the XXX (pick a fairly high-end blade). For some reason, particularly with dancers.

I've seen barely Pre-Bronze dancers in custom Harlicks with the dance scallops and back-stays and the high-end MK Dance Blades (or John Wilson Super 99 Dance blades). Too much boot/blade for that level...

(Note: I'm not talking about Pre-Bronze dancers who are intermediate to high freestylers here...)

I love my dance blades, but there are times (the 4-beat edge in the Foxtrot after the mohawk, or some of the long edges in the Blues) where I'd rather have the stability of a freestyle blade like Pattern 99s. And I still may get my old pair of Klingbeils rebuilt and put a pair of Patterns on them if I can pick up a pair of "outgrown" Patterns from one of the kids at the rink.

--jsl

Yazmeen
08-27-2002, 02:25 PM
Jenlyon: "Having only the best" happens in all sports. My husband skates, but his main sport is scuba diving. He has many times seen divers who are barely certified who arrive on the boat with the most expensive equipment, and then they barely know how to hook it to the tank! There is a song by the "Barefoot Man", a popular singer in Cayman, called "The Well Equipped Diver" which describes a diver who has every piece of underwater equipment, including full photography gear, until it gets to the end and the punchline and mentions that all he needs now is a "C" card--to actually get certified to dive!!! :lol: And how many little girls do we see who barely have had any lessons but MUST have a lovely skating dress or two... ;)

I also think many people have a tendency to want to be "over-prepared" ie: let me get the higher level boot/blade now so I'll already have it when I'm ready for it, etc. I realize now I would likely have been better off with a lower level boot with attached blade rather than a used higher level boot and higher level blade, but, again, I was in group lessons and really didn't know what to get and I guess I felt a little too "new" to go bugging any of the coaches about it. Oh well, live and learn...

And again, beginners---NEVER be afraid to ask questions about boots and blades!!! I wish I had asked more than I did... :oops:

Beth

jenlyon60
08-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah... seen it in other sports (like on the ski slopes). :roll: :roll:

Maybe between some of us we can come up with a "10 smart things to ask" list for newbies... since there's a lot of pro shops out there that don't take the time to properly assist beginners in obtaining gear that's right for them.

I was lucky... the first rink I skated at didn't have a pro shop in it. But Mike Cunningham at Skaters Paradise was right across the street (and still is, although in a slightly different spot) from that rink. Mike has fitted me for every pair of skates I've owned (including all 3 pairs of Klingbeils) and he's been great to work with. Heck, when I moved back here 3 years ago after being away for 11 years, he still remembered me (and the skates).

--jsl

JDC1
08-27-2002, 03:45 PM
I went to Skaters Paradise and got too much boot that's too big! :-) I don't really blame them (entirely) because I have "special" feet and I really didn't know jack about how skates should feel etc. However, now I am stuck with boots that my heel moves in and bruise my ankles horribly, I now have two calluses on top of my bruises. I don't think there's any fail safe way, I think you just learn as you go along. I am really vascillating and thinking hard about my next boots, trying to get them as a birthday/christmas present but since my experience with my first boot has been rather negative I am really being picky and careful. I don't want to shell out another 3-5 hundred dollars and be miserable half the time on the ice, as long as I am moving I am okay but when I stop skating!! Ouch.

Elsy2
08-27-2002, 04:11 PM
No boot will hold my daughters narrow heels in place, except for custom Harlick's.....Back when she had SP-teri's, we had the heel slippage thing going. We purchased achilles tendon sleeves from Bunga that took up some of the heel room and padded the heel area too. This was an OK fix for a number of months, until we opted to go for new skates.

I know I've posted this info several times, but even her custom skates came with the left one too large. We used a different insole to take up the room, and it makes a difference of about l/2 size.

As for my sensitive ankle bones.....I wouldn't go without my Bunga ankle sleeves, and my SP-teri's are well worn at 3 years old.

skatin' mom
08-27-2002, 04:30 PM
This is a very interesting discussion, as I have noticed recently in my Riedell 320's that when I try to do a pivot, my heel totally feels like it is rising up out of the boot as my toe tried to grip the ice. I have been wondering whether this means that the boot is too big, and in fact even took out the insole one day to check my footprint and found about 1/4" of room above the toes. Should I invest in those Bunga insoles? Or does Riedell sell something that would work as well? Or should I just get over it as these things are normal??:?

Jeanette
08-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Just had to reply to this. Guess who's picture is hanging up there with all of the famous skaters? Mine! My two skating buddies and I posed with our Klingbeil's on and sent Mr. K a Christmas card. He has it hanging on the wall!

I've had my Klingbeil's for three years. Had them repacked once and I'm due again. I also put a new blade on when I got them. Just one word of warning. TAKE IT EASY THE FIRST TIME OUT! I felt so good in my new skates that I went to do a simple one foot glide, went airborne for about 10 minutes and then crashed onto my knee and bounced off the ice so hard I arched my back and knocked a disc a bit out of whack. OOPS! They were comfortable from the start and I still love them. Enjoy! You have been working hard and you deserve the best! Jeanette

Elsy2
08-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Skatin'Mom,
I suggest you start with the cheapest fix and go from there. I'd start by buying an inexpensive pair of foam insoles that go in dress shoes, take out your current insoles and use them as a guide to trim them to fit. Put both insoles in and try this. See if taking up a little room with an insole changes your fit at all. The cost of this little fix would be about a dollar or so?

If this seems to help, but you'd like a better insole, try an athletic insole. You'll really have to hack it down with scissors to fit, but it's worth a try. Cost of an athletic pair on insoles, Dr. Scholl's has some that do nicely, is about $13.00.

If the insoles do nothing but cramp your toes, and your heel is not more secure, then time to consider something else. I have taken rectangles of Dr. Scholl molefoam and put them in the heel area to take up some room. I put them in each side, back by the heel area leaving about 1/2" uncovered up the back seam. I then trim the corner that hangs over by the laces, and punch a hole through if I need a lacing hole. This takes up some room in the heel, but it will squish down over time and have to be replaced monthly. Sort of a pain, and the adhesive will leave some residue.

After all of the above, I might try the Bunga achilles sleeves. This is an expensive fix, but worth a try.

I think that some heel movement is OK depending on what you are doing, like pivots. But a lot of heel slippage is not OK. If you are getting blisters or heel bumps...then perhaps you have too much slippage.

anital
08-27-2002, 07:22 PM
flippet,
I have been skating for 16 years and am not a beginner, but I've tried more than just Riedells. I live in Australia and Riedells don't seem to be the norm here (they cost, they take time etc) but I love them. That said, each and every time I get fitted (about once a year) I am told how normal my feet are!! I have no quirks, no bad posture, no nothing!
The only time I've changed brands since I've been with Reidells was after I had my stroke and then I went to "lower" Harlicks which were a more flexible boot, which I needed at the time.
I've never had any troubles with my Riedells at all and I know other high level skaters who haven't either, but we must all have normal feet (maybe it's the aussies who have the normal feet....)
You do all have me curious now and although I don't need new boots at the moment, I'll look to see if we have any proper Klingbeil fitters down here for next time. I'm always weary about trying new boots, I love Riedells and they haven't caused any troubles, so why change? It's a hell of a big financial investment....has anyone had trouble with their Klingbeils? If I did then it would be awful to have to send them back to get redone, I live all the way over here.....

wannask8
08-27-2002, 08:28 PM
Count me in as one of the odd ducks whose feet seem to fit the Reidell last (and I’m in the U.S.), even though my heels are pretty narrow. As a beginner, I am also still learning what skates “should” feel like, and I’m sure that as I learn new skills, my feelings about how my feet need to feel will change, but for now, the narrow width 220s are just fine, and the heels stay put pretty nicely. With one foot slightly longer than the other, I may end up with customs . . . some day . . . if I can ever really skate (at the rate I’m going now, these will last me ten years!).

Thanks for the encouragement on the blade/boot questions. I wouldn’t have thought to talk to my coach about blades separately from discussing the boots that he‘d recommended, as they came mounted with Wilsons, but now I am curious about what he thinks of the blades (not that I’ll be spinning any time soon).

One suggestion for those getting new blades: after hearing others’ laments about having their rockers destroyed, I traced my blades on a piece of cardboard after I first got them so I’d have it as a template to check against, and if necessary, to have someone use as a guide should they get too flat (or in case some careless sharpener totally nukes ‘em).

-- wannask8

mikawendy
08-27-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by wannask8
One suggestion for those getting new blades: after hearing others’ laments about having their rockers destroyed, I traced my blades on a piece of cardboard after I first got them so I’d have it as a template to check against, and if necessary, to have someone use as a guide should they get too flat (or in case some careless sharpener totally nukes ‘em).

-- wannask8

wannask8, what a great idea!!! :D

dani
08-28-2002, 05:15 AM
The only boot I can remember ever skating in (roller or ice) are Reidells. (Except of course the 6 weeks I skated in Jacksons before I broke them down when I started ice skating). I have had my Gold Stars since March and am very happy with how they fit however I am distressed that they seem to be breaking down quickly and I am not sure they will last till Christmas! If I stay with Reidell's, I will obviously move up to the Royal or Competitor. (I am only doing singles, but I am a big girl!)

So, what would Kling's buy me? Will they last longer? Will they teach me that I had no clue what "fit" meant? I am very intrigued and the price doesn't seem too bad. There is enough snob in me that having Mr. Klingbeil measure me and make the boots just plain sounds cool! ;-)

Thanks!
Danielle

kar5162
08-28-2002, 08:00 AM
Klingbeil is "custom", but is only as good as your fitting. Even if you have them done in NY with Mr Klingbeil, there is still a chance your boots will need to be adjusted to make them right for you.

The absolute best thing about them is that they are same price no matter how many options and they will revamp them for you when they break down.

Still, if you have narrow feet, they're probably not your best option unless you live around NY and can spend time taking them back for adjustments. Most people I know love them, but I also know quite a few who say their boots were too big and had to go back several times to get them small enough because their feet were moving around and others who say the boots are really heavy.

As for dani...will they hold up longer? This probably depends on the strength boot you get. Obviously Reidell Royal should break down slower than a Bronze Star. Boot breakdown is also affected by the fit of your boots - the better they fit, the slower the breakdown.

Anyway, I hope you love your new boots and blades Yazmeen.

Kim

melanieuk
08-28-2002, 10:00 AM
Are your Klingbeils white Beth?
I've got beige ones (or tan).

After a year of skating, they're still not creased anywhere.

I got my Klingbeils fitted in Aberdeen, Scotland, UK and my sponge cast and measurements were sent to NY.
I waited about 4 weeks to get them.

You also get your first name and date imprinted into the outer sole of the boot. I have a flower imprinted next to my name too.
In the insole, your surname is written.

They remain my most treasured possession (after my kids & my health).
;)

dani
08-28-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by kar5162
As for dani...will they hold up longer? This probably depends on the strength boot you get. Obviously Reidell Royal should break down slower than a Bronze Star. Boot breakdown is also affected by the fit of your boots - the better they fit, the slower the breakdown.

I am a little astonished at how quickly my gold stars are breaking down! I never really broke down my royals for roller figures (10 years ago) so this is a new experience for me!

I second the congrats and well wishes for Yazmeen! This must be wonderful and full of anticipation!

Yazmeen
08-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes everyone--these skates feel blessed already--by all of you!!! :D

melanie: I've ordered white, because they will be for USFSA competition eventually, and USFSA requires white boots.

kar5162
08-28-2002, 01:28 PM
melanie: I've ordered white, because they will be for USFSA competition eventually, and USFSA requires white boots.

Huh? Since when? I don't believe that's true, though some judges and coaches may prefer white boots. I know of one poster here who has black boots, but she's passed a few USFSA tests and done a competition - no problems. I know many people with beige boots including a multi-time US Nat pair champ.

dbny
08-28-2002, 04:53 PM
anital
My husband also has "normal" feet and Riedell Silver Stars fit him perfectly. My older daughter is also OK in stock boots, although she is currently using custom Harlicks that I bought used, but happen to fit her. My younger daughter and I have mutant feet and desperately needed custom. Living in NYC, we both have Klingbeils and love them.

I agree wholeheartedly with Kim about fittings, as both my daughter and I had to go back to Klingbeil's several times for adjustments. That said, dani, I suspect the price of Royals is pretty close to the price of Klingbeils, and with Klingbeils, you can select all kinds of options. Also, you can have them rebuilt, as opposed to paying for another new pair of Royals. I know from my daughter's experience that Royals are H*ll to break in, and Klingbeils are a dream.

jenlyon60
Here is a paragraph I wrote for our skating school about buying first time skates:

"The Riedell model 12 for children or 112 for adults is a good beginning recreational skate. It sells for about $50 in many sporting goods stores. The skater should wear thin socks or tights when trying on skates and when skating. Skates are usually one to two sizes smaller than the street shoe size. A common error is to buy skates that are too big when a wider boot is needed, rather than a larger size. Blades should be sharpened before skating the first time."

It does leave a few things unsaid, but I just wanted to get the total newbies onto the ice in something other than vinyl or hard plastic shells. I don't know anything about other brands that have entry level skates and would welcome the info.

jazzpants
08-29-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by kar5162
Huh? Since when? I don't believe that's true, though some judges and coaches may prefer white boots. I know of one poster here who has black boots, but she's passed a few USFSA tests and done a competition - no problems.

Sounds like an interesting person... I wonder who that could be??? :twisted:

Just joking, Beth! I'm the guilty culprit in black boots! :P And it's true... though I do have over the boot tights on too, just in case! However, I have since asked an USFSA US Nationals judge and he says it's perfectly OK to wear black boots. He even commented on whether black boots are allowed at competitions and tests: "With black tights too? SURE!!! No problem!!! Gives a nice line too!!!"

I dare anyone to find rules on boot colors in the USFSA rulebook. I'll be willing to bet money that you won't find it!!! :)

Cheers,
jazzpants

blue111moon
08-29-2002, 07:04 AM
There is no USFSA rule that says female skaters must wear white boots.

jenlyon60
08-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes everyone--these skates feel blessed already--by all of you!!! :D

I've been wearing tan boots for 15 years and never had a problem. I've competed once (getting ready to do so again), and tested twice in last year, more than that if you count years ago when I first got tan boots.

Now... there ARE some judges that have personal preferences against either tan boots or OTB tights. But.... there is no USFSA rule banning tan boots.

My original decision to get tan boots was because I hated polishing white boots (this was before the days of Sk8Tape) and because I liked the look (this was also before tights were designed to be OTB... the closest thing other than boot covers were the old sweater knit stirrup tights and you either cut them open at the bottom and safety pinned them back togehter, or pulled the stirrup down over the back heel.)

jenlyon60
08-29-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by dani

I am a little astonished at how quickly my gold stars are breaking down! I never really broke down my royals for roller figures (10 years ago) so this is a new experience for me!

I second the congrats and well wishes for Yazmeen! This must be wonderful and full of anticipation!

The Riedell Royals of years ago (at least those of the mid-80s) weren't as stiff as today's Riedell Royals. My last pair of stock boots were Riedell Royals (1985-1986 vintage)...they lasted me about a year to 15 months I guess.

Yazmeen
08-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info on boot color, everyone--apparently, I was misinformed.

I love beige ones, but it also fun to be a traditionalist and go with white. Black sounds great, too. And as Tashakat knows, purple is just royal!!!!

Beth

jenlyon60
08-29-2002, 03:37 PM
I know of another adult female besides Jazzpants who wears black skating boots...

jazzpants
08-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
I know of another adult female besides Jazzpants who wears black skating boots...
I was told by the guy who I bought my skates from that there's a trend in Chicago where women wear black skating boots. (Not covers... but actually black boots!) You guys who skate in Chicago can confirm this? :)

Cheers,
jazzpants

melanieuk
08-30-2002, 01:32 PM
For those who can't get personal service.....:)
http://www.skaterslanding.com/SKATERS/Klingbeil_Boox.html

JDC1
08-30-2002, 01:57 PM
I tried to talk my boyfriend into going to Jamaica, Queens and buying me a pair as a birthday/Christmas gift but unfortunately it's a bit too much. :-) I don't know, I am torn, I definitely need new boots, maybe I'll look into a pair of Klingbeils but I am so nervous about the fit, that's how I ended up with the wrong boots last time.

iskater13
08-31-2002, 04:20 AM
I too wore riedell's for about 20 years and have had my klingbeil;s for four months, I will never go back, they feel like slippers and there is no comparison.......Love em, Love em, can't live without them:0)