View Full Version : Too early to speak up? (Re: Coaching)

sunshinepointe
03-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Today I had my first lesson with my skate buddy. We're at about the same level, but we have different issues. Our coach is the same as my private coach, which works out well for me because she already knows what my goals are etc.

Anywho, I thought I was a bit...ignored...in todays lesson. Part of me is thinking, okay, she's just trying to get to know my friend's skating ability and is having us do a mish mash of stuff. Another part of me is like, why aren't you spending an equal amount of time with me as you are her? For example, while we were working on loop jumps she told me to do a lopp jump, and I did a not-so-good one, so she changed the entry for me and let me go work by myself. After completing about 10 loops on my own with the new entry I look over to see that the coach is STILL working with my friend who at this point isn't able to do a loop. She commented that I need to fix a thing here and there, but I didn't feel as if I was getting the same type of attention.

It's very possible I'm out of my mind and I'm overreacting - afterall I AM sharing the lesson with another student and I can't expect her to clock every second she spends. It could also be that she's just trying to get to know my friend a little better and next week will be different - she threw a LOT of stuff at us today that I felt we could have spent a considerable amount of time on, yet she would make a few notes and then move on. This is very unlike her style in my privates - in privates she'll nitpick every little thing, from a shoulder being slightly off to my head being not quite right. My friend even commented about this aspect of her coaching since I had pumped her up to be so particular.

I think I already know the answer to this question but I want confirmation from others - is it too early to mention something to her about the lesson, or wait until the next lesson to see if she makes some adjustments now that she knows where my friend is in terms of skill etc.? I don't want to step on toes, especially since it was just the first lesson, but at the same time I AM paying my portion so I want to get the maximum benefit. Thoughts?

figure_skater
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
i say wait til about the 3rd or 4th lesson before you say anything... she most likely does want to get to know the other skaters ability and already knows yours. if the other person ur working with is a lower level she might be trying to catch her up with you so you can do more together. who knows. but i say wait a little while and see.

sk8 gr8

sunshinepointe
03-02-2006, 06:46 PM
If this is the case though, would I be better off not taking lessons with them until we're ready to be coached equally? I'm definitely not more advanced than she is - she has a lot of great skating qualities that I don't have - I can just do a loop and a flip and she can't quite do either just yet. But if my coach is trying to get familiarized with her, would I be better backing off for a bit?

phoenix
03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
In my experience both as a coach and a student, it is very difficult to simultaneously teach 2 people and make it come out even. One is always better than the other at whatever you happen to be working on, & inevitably the lower level skater gets the most attention because you're trying to get them up to the same level. I see it in my lessons w/ my partner; he's the higher level skater, & I'm the one who gets most of the corrections. He's even commented to me that it seems I'm the "student" & he's more of a prop sometimes.

Hopefully in your situation it may even out if she's better at some things than you. If not, then this may not be the most productive/condusive environment for your learning. What was the reason for deciding to do a joint lesson?

sunshinepointe
03-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Our reason for doing the joint lesson is mainly financial - she can't afford privates on her own, and for me it's basically the equivalent of taking a group class (which I've since dropped): the difference is that she's actually at my level as opposed to the other adult skaters in group lessons that are very behind where I am. In theory it seems like it will work, but maybe I just need to take some time to adjust to the format. I've also just been relatively cranky about everything skating wise so that's why I think I'm just being oversensitive and I need to give it some time - also, I need to approach this lesson as more of a group type session instead of a private. In group lessons I get NO attention whatsoever so this is an improvement ;)

cecealias
03-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I think, if you want the maximum benefit and have issues with only getting some of the attention, then don't bother with semi-privates.

I don't see why if you were originally doing privates, you're now doing semi-privates?

Semi-privates only seem to work well for conditioning, I've seen it very effective where skaters are at similar levels and they aren't working on technique but on improving speed or jump drills and where their skills are already fairly solid but need to be polished. It's almost like a "supervised practice" instead of a lesson in those situations.

If a student is learning technique, it can be very difficult to divide time between two students, especially if there is a gap in their ability. Fixing technique is very individual and if there is a difference in learning styles and errors between two skaters, then it also can make it hard for the coach to work with both simultaneously. In addition, one student can end up very frustrated if the other progresses but they don't and that just doesn't make anyone happy.

sunshinepointe
03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I still do have a private lesson of my own - the semi private is taking the place of a group lesson

cecealias
03-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Ah ok

I just now saw your post from earlier - looks like we posted simultaneously .Yeah skating can be quite an emotional sport - no, I don't think you're being too sensitive.

I guess at some point everyone sort of has to ask themselves what they want out of skating, progress, fun, and friendships - how to keep them can be a tough balancing act.

It may turn out to work just fine with a semi-private as a substitue group lesson. In my experience, skaters usually finish off skating school at the highest basic level and then go directly to privates only, especially if they are seriously considering testing and competing.

dbny
03-02-2006, 08:28 PM
I do not enjoy teaching semi-private lessons for many of the reasons already mentioned. They really only work well, IMO, when they are for kids who are friends, and having a lesson together is part of their "play date". Why not just split the lesson time evenly? Each of you take 15 minutes by yourself. I used to do that with my DH when he first started taking lessons, both because we couldn't afford more and our coach didn't have more time.

phoenix
03-02-2006, 09:19 PM
/\ /\ /\ Excellent idea!!

TashaKat
03-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Completely agree with dbny. Semis don't work for all of the reasons that you've already cited. You could give it another couple of lessons and see how it goes but if your friend is even slightly below you skills wise you're probably going to find that she gets more of the attention. You're both paying the same (I presume) so should get equal time.

I hate semis even more than group lessons and always stuck to a private (or 'private' with a partner ... which is different to a semi :) ).

jazzpants
03-03-2006, 01:59 AM
I went thru the group lessons thing for a while and I'm thankful now that I'm just going thru private lessons only! :bow: I really do need the attention. (Unfortunately, the attention I get is usually in the form of torture.) 8O

beachbabe
03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I went thru the group lessons thing for a while and I'm thankful now that I'm just going thru private lessons only! :bow: I really do need the attention. (Unfortunately, the attention I get is usually in the form of torture.) 8O

i do the lessons jsut to egt rhe ice space, basically the coach jsut lets me work on whatever I want and sometimes demo stuff for others. Its the only affordable way to egt any ice and it lets me practice the dtuff i learn in privates. Literally I egt more space in the group classes than in freestyle sessions.

flippet
03-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it sounds like having to share the coach's attention just isn't going to work for you. Since you're paying for it, you should be happy with what you get.

On the other hand, if you're really wanting to help your friend, then suck it up for a while--it may even out a bit over time. But it really sounds like it just isn't going to suit your personality.

I used to do groups that were basically semi-privates--often only one other person would show up. I LOVED the arrangement--because while I was sussing something out, the coach could be giving the other person assistance, instead of twiddling her thumbs. When I was ready to show her something and get more correction, she was again ready for me. Supervised practice is a good way to put it--and it worked very well for me. I don't need a lot of handholding, just input.

But yeah, the lower-level person will end up with more of the 'help'...it just seems to work out that way. If you can't deal with that, then you really need to stick to privates.