View Full Version : off ice training

racytracy
03-01-2006, 08:42 PM
do any of you do off ice training? i'm interested in what you do off ice to increase yr progress/skills on ice.

i just started ballet (and let me tell you - it's pretty intense. my thighs are killing me!!!)
and i do a lot of jumping and balance exercises off ice.
i walk and run on days i don't skate.

just interested, i guess, in what everyone else does.

Skate@Delaware
03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I was doing Pilates, but the classes stopped. I have a dvd at home that I use.

I go to the gym 3 times a week for weight lifting for my upper body (I figure my lower body gets a pretty good workout as it is-mostly). I also work out on the rowing machine. Stretch. Some off-ice jumping. I haven't done any plyometrics in a while, though.

I am getting ready to kick up my workouts to include the lower body, as I need it for my sit-spins. Wait, what sit spins???? Yeah.

For the summer, when my rink closes, my boss will be teaching me a kettlebell workout that is kick-a**!!!

jenlyon60
03-01-2006, 09:10 PM
I do some cardio, plus I work out twice a week with a trainer doing a mixture of weight training and cardio.

froggy
03-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I do ballet too! great for posture, allignment and works out your leg muscles! I have been doing free weights for my arms but have not been consistent with that. jumprope too.

cassarilda
03-01-2006, 10:25 PM
We do stretching, runs/walks/cycling, general strengthening exercises (lunges/squats etc), as well as ice positions (outside edge forwards, inside edge backwards etc)... the idea being that if you can do the positions correctly off ice, you know what it SHOULD feel like on ice :)

Also, hubby gets me to practise the steps to the dances, and we do holds, strokes, dips, swings, and bending of the knees!!! (very important for me :D )...

We dont go to the gym cos we cant afford it (both fulltime uni students), so we find this helps - cheap, and all you need is some room... oh and we also live on the 3rd floor of our block, so stairs 2-3 steps at a time, 2+ times a day helps out as well :)

vesperholly
03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
On the days that I don't skate (3) I do 30 minutes on an elliptical. Every day I do arm weights (3 bicep, 3 tricep and 3 different shoulders sets) and twice a week on days I do skate, I do a yoga/pilates DVD that's only 18 minutes long.

The elliptical is mostly for weight loss at this point (working! :) ) but when I'm preparing for a freestyle competition or test, I do 4 times a week and really try to go hard for the entire 30 minutes. I can really tell the difference.

kiwibabe
03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
My off ice training at the moment consists of 1 hour pilates and 1 hour ballet a week and maybe some balance work or lifting some weights or playing around on my spin trainer. My abs are killing me, I had pilates last night and our teacher was being mean and doing lots of ab series.

Sk8pdx
03-02-2006, 01:33 AM
I go to the gym 2-3 days a week. Other activities I do that help my skating are 1 hour of Ballet, 1 hour Pilates, 1 hour Turbo Kickboxing (we do a series of plyometrics in the class) and 1 hour of Yoga. I have found many of the poses to be relative to some postures and elements in skating. (i.e. Airplane Pose = Spiral, Standing Tree = Scratch Spin, Warrior II = Ina Bauer)

I am trying to get better at doing more weight training for my upper body though. I can't afford a trainer as I can barely afford my skating addiction/obsession. 8-)

fmh
03-02-2006, 07:05 PM
i do off ice every day for at least 30 mins...Mostly flexability streches and jumping exercises

coskater64
03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
I do pilates 2x a week with an instructor and the same for ballet. I also have a reformer in my basement so I like to watch Meet the Press, etc. while I do pilates or ball work on Sunday mornings.:lol:

rf3ray
03-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I got for a 2x2km run every morning and evenings before eating and I do 200 stomach crunches before breakfast. Then every Sunday I do off-ice training with my coaches students, we do intensive pylometric stuff, Static Spiral, Landing positions for 1 min each leg. And double rotation jumps, and Axels off ice etc

sk8sk8sk892
03-04-2006, 06:51 PM
i do dancing one night, pilates another night, plyometrics (sp?) on the other night and i also do cardio on another night

TwirlGirl10
03-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I take ballet one a week at the rink, and sometimes I run. I also stretch.