View Full Version : Lion or Lamb (Practice Thread 2/27-3/5/2006)

quarkiki2
02-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Wow! I can't believe we don't have a Lesson/Practice thread up for the week. I've never started this one before, but in Honor of the new month... In like a lion or out like a lamb??

I haven't wanted to jinx it, but it's been three times out on the ice that I feel like I've FINALLY gotten back to where I was when I got off the ice last May to have Milo. I actually feel like I'm moving forward!!!

I'm choosing the aggressive as the positive here, so In Like a Lion:

1. I'm skating faster, woo-hoo! Left my classmate in the dust during my power skating class. She and I started skating about the same time and have struggled as beginning adult skaters, and I had been about keeping pace with her speed-wise until last week when we were doing swing rolls down the long axis and I got all the way to the other end and looked back to see her not quite to the middle yet. Then I started lapping her on forward and backwards crossovers. My instructor commented on my power on the swing rolls and my speed on the corssovers, yay!

2. I finally did my one-foot spin on one foot! OK, It was so slow it was barely a spin, but I had a nasty habit of tapping my free foot down just as I popped into the spin. Now I just need to work on doing it from a stronger push, then from the wind up, and then I'll actually have a spin, whoopie!

3. Learned the waltz-8 pattern after my coach (also the synchro coach) said that if she could, she'd make it a requirement that all of the skater have passed the pre-pre moves (or pre-bronze for adults). I asked what was on the test and she said the only thing I'd even need to really practice to pass was the waltz-8, so we worked on it for a while. She said the hardest part was stepping forward on a strong outside edge to stay on the circle, but I actually found that to be not that hard as I practice my forward swing rolls every time I hit the ice.

4. Started working on an Ina Bauer and inside and outside spread eagles. Got a few Bauers that didn't just go in a tiny circle like a funky pivot. Inside spread eagles very easy, managed one outside where both feet were on the outside edges for a split second. Once I stop being a chicken, I think this will be a good move for me as I have very open hips and knees.

5. Then for fun coach asked to see my 1/2 flip. I haven't practiced this one in ages, but did a couple well enough that she said "Let's work on a toe loop." I answered "LFO3, step pick?" She said "Yes". I did LFO3, step pick and nearly got into the air on the first try. Did a couple more before the session ended. As we got off the ice for the cut, I asked my coach if she though we'd be working on toe loops today and she said "Nope. But then I didn't expect to see you spinning on one foot when I got on the ice, either."

Out like a Lamb:
1. Mohawks. LFI to RFI suddenly disappeared. Worked on them with more speed and they weren't terribly successful For some reason, on this side a closed mohawk feels better and it's a constant fight for me to step with my right foot in front.

2. Back swing rolls. Left is ok. Right is woolly because the RBO edge is my nemesis. Have started working on my backspin and hope this will help me feel this edge better. I just don't even like to pick my left foot up after the push. I'm not getting my weight all the way over my right side, and I know this. So that's what I need to practice the most...

Have a great week!

batikat
02-28-2006, 09:40 AM
My lion moment doesnt' sound like much but I finally managed to do alternating inside 3's to crossovers (interbronze field moves, UK), without making any noise(!) because I was actually keeping my weight in the right place over the skate and not leaning forward onto the picks. YAY!!!!!

This is a first for me and I really noticed the difference in speed and ease. My new coach is spending a lot of time making me slow things down and take the time to use the edges instead of rushing through things slightly unbalanced. It's hard but I think it will pay dividends in the end.

lamb Flip was a bit wimpy and did not want to show up properly today. Camel spin is still in the desert.

Daughter had lion moments this week too as she landed 4 doubles in her lesson when she has been struggling with doubles for ages.:D

rlichtefeld
02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
flo and I had another good weekend of practicing. 7:30am-12:30pm on Saturday and 8:00am-10:00am on Sunday. The local TV station was doing a live remote from the rink Sat. morning, and we were in the background doing pairs spins. We did take about a 1/2 hour off during Sat morning, and part of that time we were either taking a group class or playing with the kids on Club Ice.

Most of the program is complete, just a few more little things at the end.. And, we can sort of get through it. I'm still having issues with the footwork sequence and a one-handed death spiral. My last partner and I never progressed past a 2-hand hold.

It's amazing what we've been able to put together in 5 weekends of skating. Only a few more before AN!

Rob

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Rob, are you and Flo coming to Europe and showing us your progress? I do hope so.

Lion: As for us, Husband has finally bought a camcorder, so when I get my act together, I shall speak sweetly to Casey & post some clips of us. At the moment, we only have a clip of his Pathetic Parallel, aka his Cr*ppy Camel, so I think I'll be kind and not post that! What we're seriously hoping is for coach to video us doing the Canadian (pre-Bronze) cha-cha and then get some critique from those who know (unlike us) what the judges are looking for. It's not a test dance here, so we haven't the faintest idea!

However, we spent our entire lesson on our free dance today, hoping to finish the choreography, but that still hasn't happened. We ran through it to the music, and despite missing the start of the step sequence, we got through it, "winging" the end of it. Coach said it's beginning to take shape.

And in one run-through, I actually managed to let go in the lift, which I've been trying to make myself do since forever.

Coach is at a seminar tomorrow, so I had my solo lesson today. He was actually impressed by the way I did my new (inter-Bronze) change-of-edge exercise!

Lamb: I have exactly one year to pass my level 3 Dance Moves - do you think I'll do it? I'm really hoping so. Coach thinks I should. Naturally, I couldn't do the cross-cuts when he was watching, typical! And I did them beautifully in the break, while he was having a cup of tea! We spent a lot of the lesson working on my back crossovers, which need work.

We also decided I can't do back cross-rolls into a back spiral, it's too hard, so we've swopped the cross-rolls & the cross-cuts, but back cross-cuts into a back spiral aren't exactly easy!

In the free dance, Coach has changed one bit of the choreography and made it even more terrifying! I'm sure I won't be able to do it... but I hope I will!

flo
02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Mrs. Redboots - I hope to. Just getting some particulars taken care of

"We did take about a 1/2 hour off during Sat morning, and part of that time we were either taking a group class or playing with the kids on Club Ice."

It was a great practice! The kids won't leave Rob alone and are egarly awaiting his return. And the time off the ice? I needed coffee!!!!!!
Our coach is having a great time and impressed with we've been able to do in such a short time.

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm so glad someone started one....I never know what to say (altho I'm mouthy enough the rest of the time;) )
This is for last night's dance practice:
Lion: Had a great time and the dance instructor complemented me on my "deep swing rolls" and fast progressives!!! But, I'm a one-hit wonder, as the Dutch Waltz is the only dance on my card. But, I can do it well! We partnered up and I danced with two young ladies (13 and 7 years old) and it was fun but harder for the 7 year old 8O You would think their pattern would be smaller!
Lamb: Again, hubby felt overwhelmed and sat out 20 minutes of the 30 minute class...how can you learn if you don't...learn??? Even if you can only do parts, eventually your parts become longer! Then we came home and he was mad at me! MEN!!! (really, HUSBANDS!!!)

Mrs. Redboots, do you think I can claim insanity and get away with it??? or just blame my toepick :twisted:

Anyway, not sure if I'm skating today as my son is still recuperating from the flu and I don't want to drag him around too much....I do have a competition this weekend (Skate Annapolis). I'm ready, but I'd like to keep up my "routine" a bit. If I don't skate at all today (already missed the morning session), that leaves club time on Wednesday, Public on Thursday and Friday, and that's it! Not really conducive to practicing a routine! Hmmmm. Maybe I'll give him some meds and schlepp him to the rink for a bit.....I'll have to think about it. He might be going back to school tomorrow anyway.

racytracy
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
lion:

- all my crossovers are stead again (i was turning out too much)
- i'm not wobbling on my back inside edges anymore (i hate them more than anything else in the world)
- i'm checking in my jump landings so i'm not twisting around
- my changefoot spin is coming along AWESOMELY. way better than expected.

lamb:
- i'm still doing my full rotation, landing on my left foot and then hopping to my right foot in my flip (it's because i'm not pulling in enough)
- my coach decided we had to work on the loop to correct the pulling in issue and i'm terrified of it (i had to quit skating from a reptitive motion injury to my hip from falling on a double loop)

Terri C
02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
This is for yesterday and it looks as if yesterday is the only day I'll be skating this week:

Lion:
In pursuit of the legally low enough sit spin, I've been working my quads and glutes off ice. As a result of overkill on this last week, I've now got a strained left groin. Yesterday on lesson, I could not muster a salchow to save my life and my sitspin is barely do able. It also does not help that I skate in a meatlocker!

Lamb:
Started working on flips and will be working on waltz toe combo!
Coach cut new program music and while I haven't heard the finished product yet, it's sounds like it's going to rock! Well,it's symphonic rock, so it better!

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Terri C, when you get it figured out, clue me in and my coach will LUV U 4EVER!!!! Seriously!!! I just can't get low enough! When I try to go lower, I get all off-balanced and end up bailing out (although it is somewhat better because I go into it from a regular scratch spin entrance and try to go low from the beginning).
:giveup:

No skating today after all....son's fever has returned (low-grade, but still a fever). He has no appetite, but I'm pushing the fluids. At this rate, I'm not sure if he can go to school tomorrow. He seems more energetic today, but looks terrible (pale with dark circles under his eyes).

Terri C
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Terri C, when you get it figured out, clue me in and my coach will LUV U 4EVER!!!! Seriously!!! I just can't get low enough! When I try to go lower, I get all off-balanced and end up bailing out (although it is somewhat better because I go into it from a regular scratch spin entrance and try to go low from the beginning).
:giveup:

That's the approach my coach has been after- to start low.
However, it doesn't work for me and in order to get on balance, you do have to work the quad muscles and strengthen them up.
What I've been doing is going into the spin and getting low as I rotate.

blisspix
02-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Lion: I love it when I skate at sessions with great skaters. No offence to the wonderful skaters I share ice with at the two rinks I go to, but I feel extra inspired and fired up when an Olympian shows up for practice. I go faster, my jumps are higher, and spins are better.

I'm back at rink 2 on Wednesdays now that semester has started which went ok. The ice is different from rink 1 which throws me out a little each week.

Finally starting to get flips back around to 1.5, 1 3/4 around, same with loops. Hooray. Sit spin is slowly coming back, I used to have the best sit spin at my rink a long time ago (and it was always the first element in my programs) but then I got older and my muscles seized up. Another year to go before it's there I think.

Lamb: Camel was all off today. Toe loop and Salchow are still feeling wimpy. Axel has gone completely. Wacked my head trying a fancy spiral move (with ensuing headache). Must get on with calling to arrange coaching but feeling too sheepish to do it (ha ha).

mikawendy
03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
(Okay, so I have to admit, I always get mixed up whether lion or lamb is "good" or not, so I'll follow the other posters as I've no clue)

Lion: Working on lutz--trying to get correct entry, height in jump, and rotation all coordinated. Sunday, I had a few close ones and am usually managing to land on landing foot (even if way underrotated and even if the free foot taps down a little after). I think a few were 2/3 to 3/4 rotated, the rest were less or wonky timing. I'm alternating practicing flips with good speed and height and then the lutz attempts.

The good news about it all is the lutz practice keeps helping my flip. The bad news is I can tell how far I am from coming close to "owning" the lutz because I can feel the contrast of the quality of my flip.

Lamb: Working on stamina with the Bronze moves. In lesson I was very winded while doing these. Also dodging the little kids is ever so fun, esp. in the alt BXO to BO edge pattern. :twisted: On Saturday, there were about 3 kids who were oblivious to the world right in the path of what would have been the second lobe on most of my patterns. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Because of working on the lutz, my spins have been very neglected. I wanted to devote a lot of time to the jumping, though, because I felt like I was close to learning the "feel" of the jump.

jazzpants
03-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, this for Monday but there is a BIG FREAKIN SHEEP I want to share that I found out about today...

Lion:

Spins are okay except camel
Moves are okay...what I CAN do w/o crashing into the crowds anyway.
Landed a few flips
At least I CAN jump now!!! My lower back is much better now.Lamb:

Camels are wimpy
Also two footed a few flips, including a two footed funky landing right in front of primary coach (which primary coach made jokes about to his other student....GRRRR!!!) :x
No clean loop landing in sight. GRRRRR!!! :evil:The BIG FREAKIN' SHEEP (for those of you skaters in the Bay Area especially...you might be interested in this news...)

For the last few weeks at my weekend rink the ice has been horrible. It's bumpy and it's HARD!!! And the general attitude towards it is "The ice is good!!! REALLY GOOD!!!" (What are you smokin'!!?!?!? 8O )

Well now I found out why and it's not good news:

http://www.berkeleydaily.org/article.cfm?issue=02-28-06&storyID=23513

Okay, so does anyone have $6.5 million to buy a rink plus the permanent cooling system that's acceptable by Berkeley's city code? 8O (Yeah, I didn't think so either!) :cry:

Rusty Blades
03-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Ok, much lower down the ladder . . .

Lion Had all my forward edges back a week ago Tuesday and had a ball doing scallops and 8s

(smelly) Lamb Haven't seen my solid forward edges since :cry: Left edges are starting to come back but right is still terrible.

Clinging to those lower rungs . . .

Thin-Ice
03-01-2006, 05:48 AM
The BIG FREAKIN' SHEEP[/U][/B] (for those of you skaters in the Bay Area especially...you might be interested in this news...)

http://www.berkeleydaily.org/article.cfm?issue=02-28-06&storyID=23513

Okay, so does anyone have $6.5 million to buy a rink plus the permanent cooling system that's acceptable by Berkeley's city code? 8O (Yeah, I didn't think so either!) :cry:

Actually it's $6.5 million for the rink.. it will cost at least another $100,000 for the new refrigeration system.. and that's at today's price... who knows what it would cost next month or the month after or the month after that.

And it's very likely no one will want to take over the rink.. so it will be turned into a parking lot or something else equally useless to skaters. RATS!!!

sceptique
03-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Lion

Passed my Novice Field Moves on Monday

Lamb

Got some nasty flu that seems only to be getting worse. Definitely no skating tonight: feel too weak even to sit and type.

crayonskater
03-01-2006, 11:23 AM
All I have to say about today's practice: MOTHERF*CKING COCCYX.

Thank you.

(crayonskater does not endorse the previous statement, and apologizes for the language, but is pretty sure the Tylenol 3 dosage is to blame. Friggin' tailbone.)

PattyP
03-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Lion

Passed my Novice Field Moves on Monday

WooHoo! Congratulations! I hear that is a tough one. :bow:

Skate@Delaware
03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Lion: Found out that Pilates starts tonight!!!! Wow, I sure missed that class!!! AND, my warmup time for Artistic 1 at Skate Annapolis on Sunday is 1 p.m.:D :D :D That's a goooood time!!! Gives me time in the morning for show rehearsal, then to hop in the car, drop the boy off at Grandma's house, drive over to Annapolis and get there in plenty of time for lunch and warmup.

Lamb: assuming I'm not sick with the flu, or nerves, or nothing else happens by then............................BUT I have to drag big brat with me (she is on my sh*t list for being bratty teen).

And, I'm wondering if my skating should be "wimpy" before a competition? or more "normal?" Any thoughts? It's my first competition.

sceptique
03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
WooHoo! Congratulations! I hear that is a tough one. :bow:

Clarification - this is UK Novice FM, the lowest one (stroking, forward edges, forward spiral, BXO into backward glide). Next year NISA are changing them to level 1 - 10 FM tests, so there will be less confusion.

jazzpants
03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Actually it's $6.5 million for the rink.. it will cost at least another $100,000 for the new refrigeration system.. and that's at today's price... who knows what it would cost next month or the month after or the month after that.

And it's very likely no one will want to take over the rink.. so it will be turned into a parking lot or something else equally useless to skaters. RATS!!!http://www.gordoncommercial.com/details.asp?id=22&tblName=tbl_forSale&from=site

And I think the current temporary refrigeration system is about $100,000 and it's rented for about 6 months.

Doesn't matter... all I know is that I'll lose my weekend rink... and probably the only other rink I've been on as a little kid. :cry:

sunshinepointe
03-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Gah. Not skating for a week (and partying hard for ones bday) REALLY takes it’s toll. I honestly felt like I’d regressed to two months ago. I had a very shaky warm up that was interrupted by two adult skaters asking a couple of questions. I think it’s awesome that people always assume I’m an instructor - I can't imagine what they'd say if I knew what I was doing half of the time. In any event they wanted to know how to stop, and then wanted to know how long I’ve been skating, and how to do crossovers etc. etc.

Then I proceeded to warm up back crossovers…and then - had the click of death and down I went. Landed on both knees (more on the left) and proceeded to slide right into the boards on my tummy. Aside from getting the wind knocked out of me and my aching knees the belly slide was quite fun.

After that I moved on to edges, and then as I finished one set of forward edges when my coach came over and commented that my edges looked nice. Then we spent a considerable amount of time gossiping - something we never do, but we just got caught up in it today for some reason. Finally we started to work - she wanted to see the waltz 8 and the 3 turn pattern.

I do feel like I’m making progress in certain areas, particularly with crossovers and the waltz 8, but then I regress in other areas. And why are my 3 turns all of a sudden SO awful? Also my jumps, despite not being that good to begin with, have slipped even more.

My coach says I’ll be ready to test in May or June…that doesn’t leave me much time to get myself pulled together! She wants me to pick up a couple of lessons with the moves guru at our rink before I test so she can “fine tune” even more. Can’t hurt - although now I’m wondering what I’ll do if I get the click of death on crossovers during the test :roll:

I worked a bit on spins today too, but they weren’t happening all that great either - the first spin centered nicely but after that it was garbage time. Before I left I worked on alternating inside 3 turns to get the feeling of taking a deeper curve before the turn. My outside 3’s are too deep and my inside 3’s are too shallow. Sigh. It could be a sharpening thing - Its been about 3 months since my last sharpening and I do notice a lot of sliding and skidding...but in reality I think a lot of it has to do with technique so...blah.

My first dual lesson with my skate buddy is tomorrow - should be interesting to say the least! We’re at the same level but we have different issues to tackle - namely my legs and her arms. Use her legs and my arms and we might make a decent skater. 8O

Skate@Delaware
03-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Then I proceeded to warm up back crossovers…and then - had the click of death and down I went. Landed on both knees (more on the left) and proceeded to slide right into the boards on my tummy. Aside from getting the wind knocked out of me and my aching knees the belly slide was quite fun.
OUCH! Hope you aren't too banged up and not too sore tomorrow!

It could be a sharpening thing - Its been about 3 months since my last sharpening and I do notice a lot of sliding and skidding...but in reality I think a lot of it has to do with technique so...blah.
OMG!!! 3 MONTHS!!! Girl, you know you need to get them sharpened!

We’re at the same level but we have different issues to tackle - namely my legs and her arms. Use her legs and my arms and we might make a decent skater. 8O
I have one in my group class-she spends 90% of the class with her arms crossed on her chest....she is NOT allowed to move them....poor thing. The arms just GO CRAZY!!!8O

sunshinepointe
03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I have one in my group class-she spends 90% of the class with her arms crossed on her chest....she is NOT allowed to move them....poor thing. The arms just GO CRAZY!!!8O

LOL - sounds like my skate buddy. She used to do inline speed skating so her arms were behind her back most of the time - she's not graceful in the least, but gets pretty decent knee bend and extension. But half of the time I can't get past her arms. In her scratch spin she somehow ends up doing a perfectly centered spin with her arms in the "universal choking" position. Kid you not.

Skate@Delaware
03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Lion: Flip attempt was interesting because I actually managed to get a few where I was picked back and glided into it. The first one surprised me so much...I stopped before the jump! But on observation of others doing their flip, they don't bend much, or pick back very far....(yes, I ask other to "demo" stuff for me. They usually oblige). Skated my routine and "the Ice Dancer" saw-the only critique was to not have the "deer in the headlights look" which I didn't know I had (must-take-inhaler-to-competition as I had a hard time breathing-air was damp-humid).

Found out I skate right after warm-up at the competition. There are 4 in my group.

Lamb: Sit-spins, jump practice, spins, etc.... Rink was CROWDED tonight with everyone wanting to skate their routine (comp on Saturday and Sunday) AND some people played their music more than twice or thrice or.... LONG waiting list. Therefore, I skated close to end of session....frozen. I'm going to Saturday's club session to 'tweak' two things and skate while most everyone's gone (most are skating on Saturday of the competition).

I hope I'm not the oldest person skating in the competition!8O

Mrs Redboots
03-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Clarification - this is UK Novice FM, the lowest one (stroking, forward edges, forward spiral, BXO into backward glide). Next year NISA are changing them to level 1 - 10 FM tests, so there will be less confusion.Nevertheless, congratulations! Do try to get your Prelim (or level 3 Dance Moves, if that's easier) before this time next year, though - I have a feeling the new levels will be diabolical! My coach is at a seminar, so I'll know more next week, but..... You have a year, you should be able to do it.

Crayonskater, I feel your pain! Been there, done that. Ow.

As for me:

Lamb: (except my brother's a shepherd, in the middle of the lambing season, so this thread's the wrong way round for me!) The zamboni at the rink we visited last night had broken down, so the group lessons and the first half of the dance club were on uncut ice. Even when there was a cut, at the interval, the ice there has deteriorated very badly over the past couple of years, and is not exactly level and even! As the ice at our rink has improved during that period, I'm spoilt!

Could do nothing during the class, and precious little during the dance - had a bit of a headache which didn't help. However, did do all this year's dances with Husband, and one or two others, and had a couple of dances with other people.

Lion: Did a really good Willow Waltz, to my surprise - for some reason the back run after the RFO3 has got a lot easier, can't think why! And had our usual fun with the Prelim Waltz. The CD we used doesn't have a European waltz scheduled, which is always a pity, as I'm longing to try it properly.

Sadly didn't feel able for 14-step or Foxtrot last night, but did do a Fiesta and didn't die. It's no longer the Mohawk that's the problem - it's what happens after it! Swing Dance okay, but Husband is far too lobey on his back swing rolls, and pulls me off balance - plus we don't match! Sigh.

Thin-Ice
03-02-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm wondering if my skating should be "wimpy" before a competition? or more "normal?" Any thoughts? It's my first competition.

If you're wimpy now.. you'll be all wimped out.. and ready to go. The worst thing is having your BEST practice just before a competition.. and then going out and skating just so-so.. and wondering why you didn't just save that good skate until the event!:frus:

Good luck and have fun!

Thin-Ice
03-02-2006, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=jazzpants I think the current temporary refrigeration system is about $100,000 and it's rented for about 6 months.
[/QUOTE]

You're right... I talked to the rink manager and the permanent system would be about $300,000-400,000.

jazzpants
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
You're right... I talked to the rink manager and the permanent system would be about $300,000-400,000.What's a few $100K's amongst us rich (Yeah, do I wish!?!) friends... :twisted: :P :lol:

Skate@Delaware
03-02-2006, 11:37 AM
If you're wimpy now.. you'll be all wimped out.. and ready to go. The worst thing is having your BEST practice just before a competition.. and then going out and skating just so-so.. and wondering why you didn't just save that good skate until the event!:frus:

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the advice! My coach has been out of town and I will see her on Sunday before I step on the ice.

Our dry run was at the exhibition not too long ago, she gave me a few tips and stood in the background (i.e. not hovering). I appreciated that from her, as I am twice her age and a "big girl now" :lol:

I was worried about working on some jumps and falling and getting hurt really bad, but I don't attack the jumps so there really is no worry there. I've just got two areas I need to tweak....so everything should be fine.

I'm skating this afternoon-taking the boy out on the ice and working with him on figure skates (he is a hockey crossover). He has to get used to the toepick and doing a few things before next Friday's class so he is all caught up to where the other kids are. Should be fun!!! I'll try not to be a moves nazi on him!!! Maybe I'll cruise on over to coach's corner for tips.

Debbie S
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Good luck, Skate@Del! Let us know how it went. :)

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Three crashing falls today, thankfully none of them mine! But it puts you off a bit.... nobody badly hurt, thankfully, but one girl will have a sore tailbone for a few days!

Lamb: We had an e-mail yesterday from one of the judges, saying that as long as we had 2 revolutions each on one foot in the first part of our combination (which we do), we could add the second part. But, of course, when we came to practice it, we were out of practice. And I'm not sure but what our backspin doesn't fit better to the music. Isn't That Typical!

We spent most of the morning trying to "place" the first part of the dance so that we are on the right place for the start of the step sequence. I suppose it will work eventually, but right now it's all in pieces!

As is my Interp - I decided to take that to pieces, too, as the footwork was so dull, and it was just going round and round the rink like a compulsory dance. How come I can do two really nice clockwise back crossovers in it, but when I try doing them round the circle, nothing happens? But the whole programme is in pieces now, alas. I expect it will come back together again soon, but....

At one stage it was just us and one other couple on the ice - wouldn't you know it, we almost collided! Such is life.....

Lion: The spin at the end of my Interp actually worked three times in succession! Then it didn't work, the last run-through I did - will it work in front of the coach next week, do you suppose? Yeah, right..... But I was dead pleased with 2 revolutions in each direction, getting it on the sweet spot every time!

Dance moves coming along - the ice was nice, so that helped. Maybe I'll get there, I do have 363 more days to get them testable!

batikat
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Lion:
jumps were pretty good today - even managed a few flips

Lamb:
spins were a bit off today.
coach was unhappy about the new UK field moves (he was at a seminar the last two days) and it seems none of the coaches are very impressed with the new system or the amount of seminars they'll have to attend to retain their levels. It does seem odd that the more experienced the coach, the more seminars they have to attend - so all our best coaches will be spending loads of time at seminars and less time teaching. So it will now pay to be a lower level coach as they only have to attend a couple of seminars so can teach more and earn more. Crazy!!!

And then I got crashed into on the way home!!!8O

Some guy sailed through a red light at a roundabout. I suddenly saw him coming straight at me from the right in my peripheral vision and floored the accelerator to try to get away but he still struck the back of my car just on the back wheel and behind. No injuries but it was quite a shock.

jazzpants
03-03-2006, 10:41 AM
And then I got crashed into on the way home!!!8O

Some guy sailed through a red light at a roundabout. I suddenly saw him coming straight at me from the right in my peripheral vision and floored the accelerator to try to get away but he still struck the back of my car just on the back wheel and behind. No injuries but it was quite a shock.8O 8O 8O Thank goodness no one's injured...and that guy's insurance rates JUST went up!!! :twisted:

This is for yesterday...

Lion:

Did my practice warmup routine (this is for my warmup period. Can't believe I actually have a "program" for my warm up! :P :lol: ) Check...
Did the two footwork sections... CHECK! :mrgreen:
Did spins... CHECK!
Did some flips...well, close enough... Check!
Did some loops... well, close enough... Check!
I guess I did well enough... I did impress the Gold level guy that primary coach is coaching. But primary coach is not impressed enough... so he's tortures me right after my run thru by making me run around a couple of more LAPS!!! (Mind you, by now I'm resting comfortably against the penalty box...) When I protested, he teases me by saying "MOVE IT, how are you gonna do 2:10 if you can't handle this?" I told him "I'll worry about it when I do pass my Bronze tests!!!" :twisted: (Silver is WAAAAAAY in the future. Let's get me to pass BRONZE first???) :lol:
Looking forward to meeting my 'Net friends on skatingforum and CAS. :mrgreen:Lamb:
Nothing much... I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

And good luck to Skate@Del at HER first comp too!!! :mrgreen:

frvanilla
03-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Lamb

Monday: I survived through the day with cups of coffee, and by the time I went to the rink late at night, I was basically half-asleep. Not a good sign. :roll:

There were two new adult beginners/walkers in the session. I felt they should have a better and safer time in a group/learn-to-skate setting instead of a freestyle session. A lady skated right between me and another pair of dancers and we all had to stop to let her through. Another one was getting some help from her husband -- who is a hockey guy. He ran into me *three times* during my program... :frus: Doesn't he look where he is going?

mikawendy
03-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Good luck to jazzpants (and others going to those sectionals) and Skate@Delaware! Kick some butt!! :D

Skate@Delaware
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone! (I'm so afraid I'll forget my dress or something, even though I have a list and will check it twice.)

Good Luck, Jazzpants!!! We will have to compare notes (and see if we will be doing this again:roll: )

Lamb: I'm going to let you guys know how it went today with my son's 2nd venture in figure skates. He did do better after we traded a 2nd set of rentals for a sharper pair (sheesh, I vaguely remember having to do this and it really sucked).

Lion: Once he got the balance issue down, he did very, very well! I couldn't tell him enough times how proud I was of him! We warmed up with slaloms and swizzles and he did great (except for looking down, but as the session progressed, he did better). On to stroking, which was good. Then, spins. We stuck with 2-foot spins and after 20 minutes, he was doing good and had several 4-5 revolution spins. We worked on waltz jumps (he could do these in hockey skates). I started by holding his hands but after 10 he could do them on his own (from a standstill). I had to demo but I jump the other way 8O yikes! Then we did some edges (prelude to 3-turns). He needs mucho finesse but he has the basic concept. We will be doing 3-turns later.

He has played hockey for several years and is a good skater, but we do have to counteract the bending-over-with-a-stick posture. And the fear of the "toepick" so every so often I would say "toepick" like in the movie.

By the end of the session, he didn't want to get off the ice! Big change from the other day!

I'm skating on club time tomorrow to run through my program and my warmup (which isn't choreographed, but my coach did give me a run-down of what to do). I'm going to approach my competition as if I'm skating in a show with a solo number. I'm wondering if I'll be the oldest skater there......:roll:

Skate@Delaware
03-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Rather than add to my previous post, I thought I'd add another one, since this one is not about my son, but about me (go ahead, call me diva).
No lion/lamb, just narrative:
Went to club ice today to practice some "stuff" before my comp tomorrow and it was very un-crowded (10 people). I wore my "practice comp" dress so nothing would happen to my real dress. So, I warmed up like my coach wants me to do and it sucked. I have to really go around 4 laps before I really connect to the ice.

Anywho, I did my routine, and except to piking on my toe-loop, it was fine. One of the better (waaaay better) skaters commented that it was "very graceful" which I thought was nice of her.

I then worked on some of the other elements which have been bugging me since day #1 one and they all boil down to a single point-my boots. So, I have to get my butt on the road and head on up to either Skate Club or Aston and get those darn blades mounted on my new boots, since these things I have now are way too big!

I showed this girl all the stuff I have in these boots just to fill them out and she could not believe it! Oh, well.

I feel decent about my skate today, even worked on a few feeble backspin attempts (ha-ha-ha).

I'm packed, dress is ready, tights are packed with my dress, map is standing by and money is in my purse. Dropping the boy off at Grandma's on the way and off we go! I check in at 12:00 and on-ice warm up at 1:05, skate at 1:10!!! (first in my group). Then I'm done!

ps-The application for the in-house comp was posted and the only adult thing was freestyle-bronze! Now, I know all the adults who are taking lessons....and except for me there is no one else who can enter in that category! There is someone who teaches there (she hasn't tested yet, I found out so she is eligible to skate this comp) so if we skated against her, she would clean up! Somehow, this doesn't seem right. I found out she is entering in that, spotlight, artistic, and one more.....something stinks.

cassarilda
03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh! Can I join in here? :D

Lion:

Managed to get my mohawks getting better... Im even curving correctly after I swap feet!! Its not the same circle as I start with, :roll: but oh well!

We learnt two foot spins yesterday! I managed to spin 3 times before slowing down.. Im very impressed with myself

I got moved to what I suspect is a more precise teacher... Its not moving up a level.. and we do less stuff in the lesson... but at least we arent doing the same thing each lesson and its really working on technic... its more like deep lunges, edges, turns etc. :) So its basics, not beginner.. thats how hubby put it, and it sounds about right.

Stroking is improving, as is my beginning pushes from t-step (or whatever its called).. Im not sticking my picks in as much, which is nice.. means that Im not grating the ground and somersaulting forwards all the time... Ive also managed to focus on turning my back leg/foot out, so im less likely to toe pick it

Im getting better at skating backwards.. none of this egg laying stuff anymore when attempting swizzles! :D And Im actually transfering weight better, looking behind me as I go, bending my knees better, and I can lift a foot off the ice as I go YAY!

Lamb:

I had a massive stack on Saturday... after 3.5hrs of skating, so I will be kind to myself... :roll: I was stroking along, and I was obviously pointing my toes through to bringing it back in line with my skating foot... and of course I hit my toe picks in, and fell heavily onto my knee... hurt like hell, and immediately started swelling... I kept skating for another half hour or so, then hopped off, and it was another hour or so until I got home and put ice on it (thankfully i didnt have to drive home!)... it was VERY sore, and swollen, and has turned a nice purpley yellow colour... I couldnt move it without pain, but I persisted, cos I really wanted to skate today... it wasnt bad this morning so I wandered out onto the ice again... luckily I didnt fall..

I did a fantastic trip earlier as well.. but I collapsed to the ground, legs to one side, and managed to slide along the ice on my hip... Didnt hurt much,and would have looked GREAT ... if I had meant to do it! :P

Still not hitting the outside edges properly.. so a friend and I spent most of the public session in the middle (we are regulars now (or at least feel like it) and we were keeping out of peoples way! ;) ), just stroking around an outside edge circle, trying to get the back leg up and continue the circle... just to prove we were on the outside edge! ;)

I cant do 3-turns yet.. although I have no problems doing two foots turns... and Im guessing its because I just cant hit that outside edge...

Note to self... outside edge = lead with the little toe... inside edge = lead with the big toe... I dont know who said that in a post here once, but its good! :)

Ive also got a friend who I met at skating, and we practise together every week after the group lesson... we are thinking of meeting up during the week as well. :) Feel nice to have someone who is at a similar level. Im not feeling like I am competing as much with people who are much better than I am, and we help each other a lot.. which is good :)

I feel good today... very sore (7hrs of skating over the weekend will do that to you :lol: ) BUT I feel mentally good :) Its a good sore, cos I know it will help build those leg muscles I desperately need for outside edges :)

And GOOD LUCK for anyone doing their tests!!!! :)

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Good luck to everybody competing today - I hope you will have done well!

Lion: Husband and I actually got through our free-dance, first ever "full" run-through. We didn't have the music on "aloud", but I was listening on the headphones to count us through it. Sadly, the bits where we went out of time were my fault, not Husband's! Grrrrr.....:P

Together, we also spent quite a lot of time working on the Cha-cha, as we now have a pattern with the correct timing on it. We hadn't been doing it quite right, so this was a steep learning curve. For this, because there's only the one hold, we could both listen to the music on headphones! Hope to get Coach to video us doing it on Tuesday so we can get some feedback from those of you who know what it's supposed to look like!

In my solo practice, I ran through my artistic a couple of times, but don't know exactly what I want to do in one bit, whether to put some turns in, or just focus on the acting and not on my feet. Will get some input from Coach on Wednesday, I think.

Good Dance Moves, I thought. Coach would doubtless disagree, but......

Oh, and I have a fairly reliable, but small, 3-bracket-3 on my right foot - and once, memorably and unrepeatably, managed to keep going for about 5 of them! Husband said, rudely but accurately, that I was only turning about 45 degrees - I think he probably meant 90 degrees rather than 180 - but I'll take it!

Lamb: Not a good spin day; we managed one good backspin as a couple, and I didn't really manage a good solo spin at all.

Husband has realised, finally, that what he is doing in his free programme, and what the music is asking him to do, are two different things - I did keep telling him, but would he listen, either to me or to the music? You guess! Finally persuaded him to run through it on the headphones. Coach now has his CD again and is going to have a think, and I'm going to make him listen to the music at home, too.

Skate@Delaware
03-05-2006, 07:02 PM
WOO HOO!!! It's Over!!!!!

Since I was the only one in my age group/class I had to compete "against the book" and placed FIRST! I was pleased just to have stayed upright after my jumps! My coach was pleased and said I "skated well."

Here is a link to a picture of my spiral:
http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/pictures/

I just watched the video my daughter took of my and noticed a few things:
I was slooooow!!!
My mohawk was sloppy (yeah, like barely recognizeable)
Didn't even need to watch the video to know that I half-a**ed the toe-loop and back-pivot (wimp :frus: )
Oh well, gives me something to put on my "list of things to work on" (which seems to get increasingly longer....)

All-in-all, not bad for my first competition. My knees were shaking so bad by the time I finished, I thought I would "toepick" on my way off the ice!!!

I will put up a video when I get a chance.

Ok, Jazzpants, where's your report, hmmm???

By the way, that ice rink is BEAUTIFUL!!!! AND, the ice was NICE!!! Softer than my ice!

Terri C
03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
WOO HOO!!! It's Over!!!!!

Since I was the only one in my age group/class I had to compete "against the book" and placed FIRST! I was pleased just to have stayed upright after my jumps! My coach was pleased and said I "skated well."

Here is a link to a picture of my spiral:
http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/pictures/

By the way, that ice rink is BEAUTIFUL!!!! AND, the ice was NICE!!! Softer than my ice!

Congratulations- that is a awesome spiral! Don't worry about looking slow. video is slower than real life!!
BTW- was this at the Naval Academy rink?- That rink is beautiful!

Scarlett
03-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Skate at Delaware, Your spiral is absolutely beautifu. Congratulations on your first competition.

Skate@Delaware
03-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks, guys. Yes, it is at the Naval Academy rink. Unfortunately, this rink is scheduled for deconstruction sometime next year to be replaced by a new facillity. I'm not sure if they plan on keeping the building and just removing the rink (I hope so-the inside is gorgeous!!!). The new facility will be modern and more cost-effective. I just hope it is as pretty.

Over one end of the building, under one of the windows there is a huge model of a sailing ship with spars and masts and everything. It is really cool!!!

The #1 comment I got from people after I skated my program was that I was "graceful" and the #2 was my spiral was "very nice/high/stretched, etc"

Terri C-my daughter read your comment and she said, "but you were really slow"...teenagers :roll:

jazzpants
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
First thing... CONGRATULATIONS SKATE@DELAWARE!!!
Second thing...I want that spiral!!! :twisted: :lol:

Ok, Jazzpants, where's your report, hmmm???
You want a report??? I got yer report RIGHT HERE!!! (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=265623#post265623) :P :lol:

I am a bit miffed about missing that flip jump though! Gotta stop making that flip jump a UHT!!! :frus: But overall, I'm happy with my performance! I still got one more performance to go on this program... my Bronze FS test!!! So I can't retire that program yet. But at least I can retire the dress for now.

I'm looking at doing another FS program where it can be changed to include a lutz in the program (for the future... of course...) ;) Music is picked but I haven't gotten my coach's approval yet. (But I do expect that they would let me skate to it.)

Seriously I was surprised to get the Silver! When the scores were out, I was fully expecting to get a Bronze b/c I was the only person who didn't skate a clean program. So happy with the skate overall though. I felt calmer out there than before.

Debbie S
03-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Congrats, Skate@Del! I'll second others' comments that your spiral is beautiful.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first comp. I think my coach was also down there today - she coaches one of the synchro teams that competed in the synchro competition.

CRC (Capital Regional Council comp) used to be held at that rink, then they moved it to Bowie (and now Cabin John) a few years ago b/c of security issues.

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Congrats, Skate@Del! I'll second others' comments that your spiral is beautiful.So will I! Respect!!!! :bow::bow::bow:

Wish mine were as good as that - it doesn't usually reach 90 degrees, alas, never mind as beautiful as yours.

Isk8NYC
03-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Wow! What a beautiful spiral!

Congrats on "beating the book." It's not an automatic win - you should be very proud of yourself.

Lion: Actually got in a few minutes of skating at the end of yesterday's session. Didn't try any jumps; the ice was terrible and the crowd was rowdy. Sit spins and camels were good; Faked an Illusion or two that ahem, scared me because it's been so long.

Lamb: Got my blade caught in my pants and went down on both knees. Nice shiners on them now, but they don't hurt too much.

sceptique
03-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Skate@Del, my warmest congratulations, WELL DONE!!

Well, with Skate@Delaware being so brave, I guess, I should post my pictures as well....
This is a link to another forum, in Russian, so please ignore all cyrillic blah-blah-blah and just scroll to the pictures :lol: :

http://www.rupoint.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47750
and
http://www.rupoint.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47750&page=2&pp=10

sceptique
03-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Lion

Started landing my flips, all of a sudden. I haven't been working on them, just on loops, but I guess they "cross-polinated".

Exploring all sorts of loop combos: waltz - loop, toe loop - loop, waltz - loop -toe. So happy I finally can do this jump - it's been menacing me for a while.

Lamb

Will I ever learn to spin? I know perfectly what I'm doing wrong, but all attempts to correct it only make things worse. It get even more frustrating when I actually manage to get 1 "wow!" spin and then can't repeat it to save my life. Grrrr....

Slipped and fell down at home, on my staircase, and now have a huge bruise and a bleeding scratch on my back. And they talk about the dangers of ice skating!!

quarkiki2
03-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Lion: My Powerskating class ended up being a private lesson as the other woman who normally comes wasn't there. Not only was it just me, but I had a sub for the regular intructor -- one of the few subs I've never had for at least one lesson. In other words, someone who has never seen me skate and doesn't know me from Reese Witherspoon. Anyway, she sort of asked me what we were working on since there's no prescribed elements. We did forward stroking and crossovers, backwards power stroking and crossovers, edges, forward swing and cross rolls and a new-to-me three turn pattern that I actually enjoyed and will try to remember to practice (FO3, change foot, BI3 down the line). My BI and BO threes are still two-footed (barely), but I like doing elements in sequence and generally have more success than when they're in isolation.

The best part about this lesson is that I had a new set of eyes on me. She was extremely positive -- this is nice because I'm generally very nit-picky and particular and appreciate a coach who works me hard. I got a real confidence boost when she said that I was a "solid" skater -- right over the blade and steady. She said I didn't look at all unsteady or like I was going to fall -- this is very big for me because I've worked very hard for four loooong years to not look like a beginner. She was actually impressed that she didn't hear my toepicks once in the half hour. I know that my sub wasn't nearly as picky as my reagular intructor or my coach, but having someone else watch me was kind of fun and it was really, really nice to hear what is good about my skating. I usually focus so hard on what I need to improve, but I have a better appreciation of how far I've come, yay!!!

My Power skating class is officially becoming a Moves in the Field class next week. We'll be working on the Pre-pre elements. They're making the change in hopes of attracting some more students to the class, something I'd like, too. I've been lapping the other skater in my class and look forward to someone joining the class who is a better skater than I am so that I can "work up" a bit.

Lamb: Spinning on one foot is still there, but not with the wind up -- it adds just enough power that I drop my free foot as I pop into the spin. But not from T-push, so there's still hope....

Cross rolls - the second push, well, doesn't push.

quarkiki2
03-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Oh and a big huge congrats to SkateDelaware and Jazzpants for rocking the competitive skating world this weekend. And I agree the spiral is fab!!!!

You guys are my heroes!!!! I won't even think about the competition at our rink this spring -- waay to chicken for that.

dbny
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
a new-to-me three turn pattern that I actually enjoyed and will try to remember to practice (FO3, change foot, BI3 down the line). .

When you put that on the continuous axis and change feet for the other side of the rink, it is one of the Pre-Juvenile MIF patterns (Threes in the field).

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2006, 11:00 AM
JAZZPANTS: WOO-WOO!! CONGRATS ON WINNING SILVER!!!

All: Thanks again!!! I really enjoyed it and plan on going again next year. My daughter was even a bit jealous (she is the competitive type) and wants to compete next year.

Debbie S: I stayed to watch the ladies' synchro-good job all around and made me wish I still did synchro!

quarkiki2: you might want to start skating in shows if your rink offers them as a way of getting used to skating in front of an "audience". I just pretended I was skating a solo in a show.

We also stayed to watch some of the spotlight events and thought it was great fun! The atmosphere of the competition was fun and enjoyable---not uptight or tense like some competitions I've seen.

About my spiral: when I first started skating 3 years ago, my spiral wasn't even 90 degrees and my legs were bent and I was scared to lift that free leg. It has taken tons of work to really get these muscles and tendons worked and stretched and to feel secure enough to push that leg up and the other leg out!! Thanks for the compliments! I just want to say if I can do it, you can too! (and a good warmup and stretch before skating doesn't hurt either).

Debbie S
03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
My daughter was even a bit jealous (she is the competitive type) and wants to compete next year.).Ooooh, a convert, lol! It sounds like it was a comp for all ages. but they divided up into age groups? I'm not familiar with ISI comps, but I've heard that there are no age restrictions as far as who can enter a particular level, so they're good for teenagers and college kids that are too young for "adult" comps but might not want to compete against the kids in lower-level USFSA comps.

I stayed to watch the ladies' synchro-good job all around and made me wish I still did synchro!So they had adult synchro, too? That must have been fun to watch. The team my coach coaches is a youth team (they're all about 8 to 11 years old) and they skate to music from Mulan 2 (I think). I think there were 6 teams in their comp. They're very cute.

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Ooooh, a convert, lol! It sounds like it was a comp for all ages. but they divided up into age groups? I'm not familiar with ISI comps, but I've heard that there are no age restrictions as far as who can enter a particular level, so they're good for teenagers and college kids that are too young for "adult" comps but might not want to compete against the kids in lower-level USFSA comps.

So they had adult synchro, too? That must have been fun to watch. The team my coach coaches is a youth team (they're all about 8 to 11 years old) and they skate to music from Mulan 2 (I think). I think there were 6 teams in their comp. They're very cute.
To your first queston, yes, they have classifications for all ages, which I thought was very nice. I was afraid I'd be the "old lady" skating against all the kids. NOT! My daughter hasn't competed skating yet, just in vocal competitions....she is a very good skater and easily surpassed me within our first 6 months of lessons!

There were 2 (I believe) adult women teams. There were TONS of kid synchro teams and we watched a lot of them, but by then, my daughter was feeling very sick, so we had to leave. Next year, hopefully, we can stay longer.

fmh
03-06-2006, 04:34 PM
lion :) : finally I landed nearly all the double flips i tried today :):):) (about time!) spins are getting a lot faster and finally looking pre-novicy!

Lamb :frus: Ok I'll blame it on the ice...our zamboni broke...it was crowded and bumpy...I took some weird falls and have cuts all over my hands:cry: double lutz and double axel sucked so much today...only a few days before a competition...stress level is high in my whole club. Stress is too contageous

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2006, 06:37 AM
When you put that on the continuous axis and change feet for the other side of the rink, it is one of the Pre-Juvenile MIF patterns (Threes in the field).And will be a Level 3 Bronze UK Skating Move next year, alas..... As I told my coach, I definitely want to learn to do them, but I think I'll get the current Level 3 Dance Moves, if I possibly can, instead!