View Full Version : Finally! My Adult Mids Review

manleywoman
02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi all. I finally had time to watch the tape of my event and post a detailed review of Masters Ladies. If anyone else has watched their event and wants to add their review, feel free.

Overall it was a very tough group of ladies, as 5-6 of us had through 2 flip and/or 2lutz (though not I, working on it!) It's the toughest group I think of all the Sections this year, at least from what I heard of Easterns. So I think I should thank my lucky stars I placed as high as I did. (Which I think is more because I had a ton of content but not the best flow or speed. I look really slow on the tape, and my coach told me I was slow.)

So in order of final placements:

1) Dianna-Lynne Wells (KY)
Rachmaniniff medley. Camel/sit/layback/back sit/catchfoot spin. 1axel. 2loop2loop combo. Catchfoot spiral into 2lutz1loop combo (supposed to be 2-2 combo). Straightline footwork into 2flip-1/2loop-1sal sequence. Quick mohawks into 2flip. Spirals. 2loop. Split jump-wally-2sal sequence. Flying camel/illusions. Spin with pivot to finish. Great speed, flow and smiles throughout.

2) Alexandra Dunne-Bryant (OH)
Henry V. Spiral sequence into 2flip. 2toe2toe combo. Circular footwork. 2loop. Camel/Sit/layback/back sit. 2lutz-1/2loop-2toe sequence. Flying camel/back sit. 2sal. Camel/sit/back sit. 2flip. 1axel. Footwork into 2lutz. Layback. Nice flow and edges. Apparently she skated at Collegiates just this past August.

3) Jill Rumstick (MN)
Spanish music. Flying camel. 2flip. Straightline footwork. Wally-mazurka-2toe sequence. Sitspin/back sit. Spread eagle sequence. 2loop. Spiral sequence. 2sal/2toe combo (2foot on toe). Camel/sit/back camel/back sit. 1axel. Layback. Sit spin to finish. Great edges and flow as usual with Jill!

4) Jenny Needham-Wall (IL)
West Wing/something else, don't know. 2flip. Ina bauer into 2lutz (opened up 1.5 times around, lands forwards). Flying camel. Russian split. 2loop. Flying sit. 2sal (fall) Spread eagle. Steps into spiral into 2sal. Camel/sit/back sit. 1axel. Serpentine footwork. 2toe. Sit spin to finish. Great edges, and the fastest skater out there. Smiles throughout.

5) Allison Manley (IL) aka: me!
Pink Floyd. Spread eagle sequence into 2toe. 1axel. 2loop. Spiral sequence that I made too tight. Camel/layback/back layback. Ina bauer into 2sal2loop combo (hands down on 2loop, grrrr.) Layback. Serpentine footwork with butterfly. 1/2flip-1+1/2flip-1flip sequence. 1lutz. Back camel/layover/back sit/front sit/broken leg spin. 2sal-mazurka-2toe sequence (2footed 2toe, grrr!) Stars into flying camel. I was slow and had so much going on content-wise that compared to the top five girls it looks like I never hold an edge for very long. Something to rework int he program I think.

6) Sherry Dowlen. (CO)
Shaft! 2loop. 2flip. Camel/sit/back camel. Serpentine footwork. Flying camel/illusion. 2lutz (opened out 1-1/2 times around, landed forwards). Short spiral sequence. 2loop with arms overhead. Camel/layback/back sit. Ina bauer. 2sal one way (aborted, didn't take-off) into 2sal the other way! 1axel one way into 1axel the other way. Split jump-2toe sequence. Flying camel/back sit.

7) Cherie Terakura (CO)
Don't know the music. Spread eagle into 2lutz. Deathdrop/sit spin. Fall on xover! Ina bauer. 2loop. Camel/layback/beillman! Spilt jump-2toe sequence. Straightline footwork. Spiral sequnce with great flexibility. Spread eagle into 1axel. Flying camel. Sit spin/Y spin. Wobbles on ending position. She had great speed and flow, and frankly I was puzzled that she was placed so low. But she did only have four jumps total, unless I missed something. But her overall skating quality was great.

8) Pam Hess (CO)
Blues guitar. Layback with catchfoot. 2 flip. 1lutz. 2loop (step out). Circular footwork. 1axel (completely waxeled). 1loop. Ina bauer. 2toe. Flying camel. Spirla sequence. Camel/sit/layback/back sit. Footwork. 2sal (fall). 1axel. Scratch spin to end.

9) Colleen Bloom (MN?)
Lord of the Dance? Celtic something! Spiral sequence really nice. 2sal. 1axel. Footwork into 2toe1toe combo. Flying sit. Circular footwork. Gorgeous low hydroblade. 2loop (only 1-1/2 around). Camel/layback/back sit. 1flip (step-out...looked overrotated, 2flip attempt?). split jump-mazurka-2toe (fall). Back camel/layback.

10) Leslie Amacker (CO) Coskater!
Once Upon a Time in Mexico? Sit/back sit. 1loop. 1flip2toe combo (fall on 2toe). Spiral sequence. Spread eagle into 1axel. Back camel. Ina bauer. 2sal. 1axel. Footwork into 1lutz (fall). 1sal1loop combo. Circular footwork. Flying camel/back sctrach to finish. Very respectable for moving up from Gold!

11) Yvonne Dowlen (CO)
Famous orchestral piece, name of which escapes me. She's Sherry Dowlen's 80 year old mother!!! And awesome she is for 80. Sitspin. 1flip. 1loop. Serpentine footwork that starts with nice rockers and ends with twizzles. Spiral sequence. Camel/back camel. Ina bauer to pivot. Footwork into 1lutz. Charlotte. Scratch spin to finish. And we should all hope that we all skate with such nice edges, flow and presentation when we ourselves are 80! Really fantastic stuff.

mikawendy
02-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reports, manleywoman! Sounds like it was an exciting group of programs to watch!

The attemted 2sal one way into 2sal the other way reminds me of Silvia Fontana's Olympic LP in which she spun one way and immediately spun the other way (twice in her program, I think!)

manleywoman
02-26-2006, 01:31 PM
One of my spins was supposed to be camel one way into camel the other way, but it wasn't consistent enough to do it. So we swapped it out. It is cool to see the ISI tricks.

sk8er1964
02-26-2006, 09:28 PM
9) Colleen Bloom (MN?)
Lord of the Dance? Celtic something! Spiral sequence really nice. 2sal. 1axel. Footwork into 2toe1toe combo. Flying sit. Circular footwork. Gorgeous low hydroblade. 2loop (only 1-1/2 around). Camel/layback/back sit. 1flip (step-out...looked overrotated, 2flip attempt?). split jump-mazurka-2toe (fall). Back camel/layback.

I thought she had one of the best dresses out there. It was a dark green or black (unsure) with a plaid chiffon skirt and 1/2 length sleeves. Very appropriate for the music. She had good lines, but problems with the jumps. I think she performed better on Sunday.

10) Leslie Amacker (CO) Coskater!
Once Upon a Time in Mexico? Sit/back sit. 1loop. 1flip2toe combo (fall on 2toe). Spiral sequence. Spread eagle into 1axel. Back camel. Ina bauer. 2sal. 1axel. Footwork into 1lutz (fall). 1sal1loop combo. Circular footwork. Flying camel/bak sctrach to finish. Very respectable for moving up from Gold!

She rocks! :bow: I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to move up like she did. 8O One of the nicest people to compete with, too. 8-)

11) Yvonne Dowlen (CO)
Famous orchestral piece, name of which escapes me. She's Sherry Dowlen's 80 year old mother!!! And awesome she is for 80. Sitspin. 1flip. 1loop. Serpentine footwork that starts with nice rockers and ends with twizzles. Spiral sequence. Camel/back camel. Ina bauer to pivot. Footwork into 1lutz. Charlotte. Scratch spin to finish. And we should all hope that we all skate with such nice edges, flow and presentation when we ourselves are 80! Really fantastic stuff.

I want to be her when I grow up. 8-) :bow: The music, at least some cuts, was Holst's The Planets.

Manleywoman, I got a copy of the masters event and watched it the other day. You did good! You were one of the ones I thought could have been in the medals -- it was a very tough group to judge. I remember thinking as it was going on that I didn't envy the judges. I'd say any one of the top six or seven would have been good medal contenders.

Kristin
02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey, Great thread! Thanks for starting it, Allison!

I wanted to add that I (and all my friends) had a wonderful time at this Mids competition & that the organizers did a GREAT job!! It's not easy putting together an event like that, confirming judges, ordering awards, getting ice time, practice schedules, competition schedules, answering email questions, getting USFSA sanction, writing comp announcement, gathering all the entry forms, etc.

MANY THANKS to all the organizers who volunteer their time so we can have our Adult Midwestern Sectionals every year!!!!

Kristin

manleywoman
03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Anyone have a clue as to where Mids might be next year?

jazzpants
03-03-2006, 11:54 AM
11) Yvonne Dowlen (CO)
Famous orchestral piece, name of which escapes me. She's Sherry Dowlen's 80 year old mother!!! And awesome she is for 80. Sitspin. 1flip. 1loop. Serpentine footwork that starts with nice rockers and ends with twizzles. Spiral sequence. Camel/back camel. Ina bauer to pivot. Footwork into 1lutz. Charlotte. Scratch spin to finish. And we should all hope that we all skate with such nice edges, flow and presentation when we ourselves are 80! Really fantastic stuff.80 year old MOM!?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O

Yvonne Dowlen, you ROCK!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: