View Full Version : I want to fly

I love loops
02-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Hello! I used to be a singles competitive skater. I stopped for three years. I'm seventeen now. It took that break to help me realize how much I love figure skating. Anyway, I want to go back..but this time around, I want to be in pairs. I think I'll be better at pairs based on my strengths. I don't know where to start though. Boys don't really line up in tights wanting to be a pairs skater. What do I do? How does this partner finding process start? I'm super lost. I'm an intermediate level singles..so do I find a partner in the same level? Or doesn't it matter because the male usually doesn't do as many difficult jumps..he just throws the female? AHH, can anyone help?

stardust skies
02-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Hello! I used to be a singles competitive skater. I stopped for three years. I'm seventeen now. It took that break to help me realize how much I love figure skating. Anyway, I want to go back..but this time around, I want to be in pairs. I think I'll be better at pairs based on my strengths. I don't know where to start though. Boys don't really line up in tights wanting to be a pairs skater. What do I do? How does this partner finding process start? I'm super lost. I'm an intermediate level singles..so do I find a partner in the same level? Or doesn't it matter because the male usually doesn't do as many difficult jumps..he just throws the female? AHH, can anyone help?

The male *has* to do as many difficult jumps- you have to do the same side by side jumps and if you compete it'll have to be triple jumps, at least once you get to Novice. What you need to do since you've been off the ice for 3 years is get your singles skills back, and keep testing. Get your triples back and then after a year or so go to a pairs try out, they hold them at different rinks in different parts of the U.S. every year. You can also list yourself on partnersearch.com, or just ask your coach if they know of anyone. It's a long and lonely process, but the better of a skater you are, and the more tests you pass, the easier it'll be. It's going to be a lot easier at 17 years old to find yourself a Junior or Senior level partner than an Intermediate level one. Intermediate pairs are 10-13 years old or so...and you're not gonna want a 13 year old kid trying to lift you!!! So keep practicing and keep testing. I'd imagine you have a lot of jumps to get back. Singles skating translates to pairs, so just working on singles will help your future in pairs. Good luck.

doubletoe
02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
From what I hear, there are very few boys looking for a pairs partner, but quite a few girls, so competition may be stiff. In addition to getting all your double and triple jumps back, you will have a much better chance of finding a partner if you are tiny (i.e., weigh less than 100 lbs).

Isk8NYC
02-27-2006, 06:44 AM
First, you should clarify YOUR gender.
I thought you were male, but after reading the other posts,
I'm wondering if you're female.

Second, consider ice dancing as well.
Both Pairs and Dance have an abundance of female partners, but male partners are in demand.

Third, talk to your old singles coach and ask "Who coaches pairs?"
It's a specialty, not everyone does (or should ;) ) coach pairs.

Finally, talk to that/those coaches. Tell them your singles skating level and why you'd like to skate pairs. He/she will know what students are looking for new partners. That's how our Skating Director met her partner.

FSWer
01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi,you might want to try this link out...http://icepartnersearch.com

dooobedooo
01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
There's something called "adagio pairs" which is used for show skating. It involves moves which may be more showy, but are less energetic, that competitive pairs.

If you can chat to a coach at your rink, they may be able to set you up with a partner to try out a few of these moves - perhaps with a view to participating in a club show at your rink.

This might help you to "dip your toe in the water".

FSWer
01-29-2007, 05:19 PM
There's something called "adagio pairs" which is used for show skating. It involves moves which may be more showy, but are less energetic, that competitive pairs.

If you can chat to a coach at your rink, they may be able to set you up with a partner to try out a few of these moves - perhaps with a view to participating in a club show at your rink.

This might help you to "dip your toe in the water".

Can somebody please give a for-instance,as far as far as how the 2 kinds of Pairs differ? Thanks.

Mrs Redboots
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Can somebody please give a for-instance,as far as far as how the 2 kinds of Pairs differ? Thanks.
As I understand it, you don't have to do the side-by-side stuff in adagio. And from what I have seen, they use very much more difficult and dangerous lifts that aren't allowed in regular pairs (but obviously that is the show skaters).