View Full Version : Tried my new skates out today :)

cassarilda
02-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I went along to the class, and tried on my new boots... most obvious differences? I could actually feel where my foot was meant to be, and the toe pick is HUGE 8O its a good training aid to make sure I dont push off from there though :lol:

hubby video taped me as well, mainly during the public afterwards, and once I got the one of the blades aligned properly, it helped a lot.. :) So useful having knowledgable 2nd half :lol:

But the video tape?? OH MY GOD!! How embarrasing! :oops: backwards swizzles... no wonder I couldnt get them... my butt aint supposed to stick out that far... it actually looked like I was trying to lay an egg!! 8O :lol: :oops: I was bending far too much at the waist, not enough at the knees and ankles.. :roll:

BUT Im glad I saw it cos now Im aware of it... :D Also, its amazing how different feeling and seeing is... eg.. I was SURE I was bending my knees quite a bit, but let me tell you, they werent bending at ALL. :oops:

Ive also decided that I really would love to kick everyone off the ice, so I can just do a few strokes down and around the rink, without fear of bashing into someone, so I can get my confidence in balance correct! I need to extend the back leg, bend the front one, and practise some inside and outside edges on each leg... Its terribly hard on this small rink... two proper pushes, and youre at the other end 8O

I'll let you in on a secret... we were considering doing a road trip to Sydney, and doing some sessions at hubby's favourite rink there... which just happens to be 20mins from my grandparents place and full size ;) YAY!! :D So we'll see how we go...

However, boots are great... very nice, and half of today was getting used to them... I also am well aware that my technique is crappola... but at least I know it! :D

AW1
02-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Oh Man I can't wait to get new skates..... :cry:
I know what you mean bout huge toe picks though. The ones I have on my current skates I ended up getting my other half to grind off the bottom toe pick all together because only the slightest movement forward would catch it.

cassarilda
02-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I know what you mean bout huge toe picks though. The ones I have on my current skates I ended up getting my other half to grind off the bottom toe pick all together because only the slightest movement forward would catch it.

Hubby has suggested it... I will see how I go for a few weeks prior to my next blade sharpen... It will probably be more of a problem when I start dance, so itll probably go :)

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Hubby has suggested it... I will see how I go for a few weeks prior to my next blade sharpen... It will probably be more of a problem when I start dance, so itll probably go :)Don't, because it will cease to be a problem as you get your technique correct - and remind you forcefully when you haven't! Nobody will allow you to toe-push when you dance - the focus on technique is far more stringent than it is in free skating. Plus, you may want to do some free skating (who knows?) so best to leave your options open. Even if you only dance, if you do a free dance you may want to put a jump in, or to run on your toes (which I can't do, wish I could!).

Leave your options open - and learn how to push properly so you don't catch your toe!

P.S. Someone once referred to someone with their behind sticking out like that as looking like "a constipated duck".....

flippet
02-26-2006, 12:25 PM
I was bending far too much at the waist, not enough at the knees and ankles.. :roll:

Video can be very helpful, can't it? Re: the waist thing, though....you shouldn't bend at the waist at all. You may, however, bend at the hips. It can be hard for a beginner to really feel and remember the difference at first, since they're so close, relatively speaking. An added bonus is that when you bend your hips, you're usually bending your knees, too, so the balance point stays where it should.

Good luck!

doubletoe
02-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Very true. Rather than thinking "bend" (which prompts most of us to bend our upper bodies forward), think "sit down". Pretend you are starting to sit down in a chair. Go about half way down to the imaginary chair and stay right there for your stroking. make sure your shoulders are back and your chin is up, with your chest out over your knees, and your knees over your toes.

cassarilda
02-27-2006, 04:22 AM
See.. I know what I should be doing and HOW....

BUT my brain just wasnt working, :)

I am going on Saturday (and Sunday as welll hopefully), so I shall try again :D

Oh and my skates are still beautiful! :lol:

flippet
02-27-2006, 07:04 AM
See.. I know what I should be doing and HOW....

BUT my brain just wasnt working, :)

:lol: I usually find that the brain is working just fine--it's the brain-body connection that isn't working! :lol: