View Full Version : Darned Olympics! Crowded Rink

SkatingOnClouds
02-24-2006, 11:21 PM
The Olympics are great, love watching them, and it is wonderful how they inspire people to give skating a try. The downside is that it inspires lots of people to give skating a try. All at once.

This morning there were at least 4 times the usual number at the public session. It's hot today, about 28oC, so the rink was like a swimming pool. Our Aussie Skate session was packed with new beginners, it was very crowded.

On one hand it is fantastic to have so many keen new skaters. On the other hand it's pretty hard for the more experienced skaters to find some ice space on our tiny rink to practise even stroking, let alone any jumps or spins.

Ah well, once they've realised it's a heck of a lot harder than it looks on tv, I guess the numbers will dwindle again, leaving us with those who have really caught the bug.

I guess it's the same everywhere.

EastonSkater
02-24-2006, 11:24 PM
hehehe...yeah. I didn't even bother going skating last weekend or this weekend. I predicted this kind of thing would happen.

stardust skies
02-25-2006, 02:43 AM
The funny thing..even our freestyles this week have been crowded. I've seen 3 girls I used to skate with who quit a few years back and who suddenly realized that they miss it. Go figure. 8O

cassarilda
02-25-2006, 03:13 AM
it shall be interesting tomorrow!! :)

I know last Sundays public was crowded!! I felt like a parent, running around after kids whose laces were dragging along the ground 8O I didnt really feel like tripping over them!

The funny thing..even our freestyles this week have been crowded. I've seen 3 girls I used to skate with who quit a few years back and who suddenly realized that they miss it. Go figure.

Excuse the pun of course :lol: :D

Rusty Blades
02-25-2006, 03:21 AM
I am thankful I skate with a club in "adult" sessions - no dillusions of grandure here - LOL!!!

jazzpants
02-25-2006, 04:30 AM
I have a double whammy... I have the Olympics crowd AND the Adult Sectionals crowd!!! The public session are overrun by uummmm..."Olympic hopefuls..." The FS that has mostly adults are filled with adults who are stressed about Adult Sectionals next week!!! :evil: :frus:

NickiT
02-25-2006, 05:47 AM
I don't know if it's the Olympics or the TV hit "Dancing on Ice" but all our sessions are really busy now. Yesterday was yet another busy session and the start of a new housewives class in which there were a record of 14 newbie adults! Normally we're lucky to see two newbies at the start of a new class. I ended up giving up on the session with Batikat as the ice was churned up and there wasn't the space to do any decent practice.

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
02-25-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm told that we have people calling my rink asking if we offer speed skating! 8O

AW1
02-25-2006, 07:35 AM
i hear your pain.... honestly I do! Our rink has introduced a voucher in the local newspaper to try to get new kids (under 12) into skate school. Well today it ended up in 48 kids in Basic and about 25 in Tiny Tots! Then the rink management were complaining that they haven't got enough coaches, but that they shouldn't have to get more because these kids are paying half price to be there :frus:

I hear you :roll:

Isk8NYC
02-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Don't forget that competition season for figure skaters is in full swing, so your freestyle and club sessions will get more crowded as they prepare for tests, shows and competitions.

Hang in there - the majority of the crowds will disappear as soon as the migratory season starts. That's when soccer and other spring sports start, the weather gets warmer and the days longer, the busy May/June wedding/communion/graduation party season gets underway, and (most importantly) the newbies who thought this would be easy get bored and wander off.

Ah, summer skating - I love it!

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2006, 08:13 AM
I don't know if it's the Olympics or the TV hit "Dancing on Ice" but all our sessions are really busy now. Yesterday was yet another busy session and the start of a new housewives class in which there were a record of 14 newbie adults! Normally we're lucky to see two newbies at the start of a new class. I ended up giving up on the session with Batikat as the ice was churned up and there wasn't the space to do any decent practice.

NickiThere are at least FIFTY adults in our Tuesday and Thursday Learn-to-Skate classes! The skating director thinks (hopes, I think!) that numbers will fall off drastically at the end of this six-week session (finishes next week).... I wonder.

DressageChica
02-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I made the mistake of skating a public last night. Ahhhh! There were soooo many people! Most of the time I can use a public for spins and footwork..absoloutely not!

I heart summer skating!

NickiT
02-25-2006, 09:19 AM
There are at least FIFTY adults in our Tuesday and Thursday Learn-to-Skate classes! The skating director thinks (hopes, I think!) that numbers will fall off drastically at the end of this six-week session (finishes next week).... I wonder.

I know there are lots on our learn to skate classes which are mixed age, but I'm not at the rink for those. The Friday classes are usually really small so it was a surprise to see so many starting. Hopefully they'll soon realise it isn't as easy as it looks and give up, although it would be good to get some more competent adult skaters. I must admit though I miss my quiet daytime sessions. Thankfully we've moved our jumps class off the session and onto the patch beforehand, else we couldn't do it or were crammed behind the cones at the end of the rink!

Nicki

tidesong
02-25-2006, 10:28 AM
There isnt too much increase in my rink, one of the skaters that come on and off, she came back but thats like one person. I seriously doubt many people here watch the winter olympics even :(

doubletoe
02-25-2006, 07:24 PM
As I was leaving our freestyle session last night, the public session had just started. I looked at the crowd and started cracking up because I could tell what percentage of the public skaters were there just because they'd seen skating on TV:

Number of people hugging the boards, minus number of people usually hugging the boards, divided by total skaters on the ice. LOL!!

EastonSkater
02-25-2006, 07:32 PM
As I was leaving our freestyle session last night, the public session had just started. I looked at the crowd and started cracking up because I could tell what percentage of the public skaters were there just because they'd seen skating on TV:

Number of people hugging the boards, minus number of people usually hugging the boards, divided by total skaters on the ice. LOL!!

hahahahahaha!!!! Don't forget to multiply that figure by 100 ... to get percentage hehehe

yeah...seriously....I'm staying at home this weekend because of that. I know that the rink is going to be jam packed with people. Jam packed....maybe I could tolerate, but I can't tolerate some of the idiots out there that try to hang onto you to stop themselves from falling, drag you down with them. Or suddenly, some clown just runs into the back of you because they just want to skate fast even though they have no control over their skates.

SkatingOnClouds
02-26-2006, 01:28 AM
You can really tell the wannabes. It looks so easy on television. They are trying to do everything: go backwards, spirals and spins. There was a couple there today who were trying to spin by digging what small amount of toe-pcik there is on a rental skate into the ice and spin up on it. Frightening!

My hope is that watching the Olympics truly inspires some to put in the hours of work needed just to become a semi-decent skater. Besides, I have to admit it was watching the Olympics over many years that got me on the ice all that time ago.

It wasn't so bad for our Sunday morning public session today, actually got to work on spins and a few jumps.

NickiT
02-26-2006, 03:27 AM
What makes me laugh is that they are all so eager to skate and obviously think it looks so much easier than it really is, but when it comes to taking that first step onto the ice they can't do it without the coach holding onto them! Will be interesting to see how they progress over the coming weeks before they give up!

Nicki

EastonSkater
02-26-2006, 03:34 AM
yeah...but don't forget, all of us have to start from somewhere, and all of us started from somewhere.

NickiT
02-26-2006, 03:37 AM
yeah...but don't forget, all of us have to start from somewhere, and all of us started from somewhere.

Yes, and it sure makes us realise how far we've come which is a great feeling!

Nicki

cassarilda
02-26-2006, 03:40 AM
I probably look like one of those wannabes 8O

trying to go backwards, etc...

Well.... its probably cos I am! :lol: Except my reasons for starting are closer to home :D

SkatingOnClouds
02-27-2006, 01:37 AM
I wasn't meaning people like you Erinna !
Goodness, your posts here show you are in it for the long haul, and that you know it is hard work.

I was meaning the wannabes who think they can just get out on the ice and do everything first session.

cassarilda
02-27-2006, 04:20 AM
I wasn't meaning people like you Erinna !
Goodness, your posts here show you are in it for the long haul, and that you know it is hard work.

I was meaning the wannabes who think they can just get out on the ice and do everything first session.

;) :D I know... I wasnt totally serious... Im far more thick skinned than that. I got told yesterday that the two best attributes for skating were: 1. A good sense of humor and 2. a thick skin (for coaches) :D

But yes, I know what you mean..... I personally love the type who act all macho BEFORE they get on the ice, and then once they do and their skates fall out from under them and they cling to the barrier for 2 hours, they aint looking so macho :D

Rusty Blades
02-27-2006, 07:31 AM
all of us have to start from somewhere

Yes, and some of us are nuts enough to do it a SECOND time 8O LOL!!!

Me and my big mouth:
I skate with a club in "adult" sessions - no dillusions of grandure here

In Saturday's session we had more than TWICE then normal number of skaters - we had a whole bunch from other clubs getting ready for testing the following day. It wouldn't have been so bad but some of these people don't know our home club skaters and really weren't paying attention. Our Gold freeskate contender almost collided back to back with a girl from another club who didn't recognize the program music or realize our girl was doing her program - us locals all know her routine and stay out of her way.

NickiT
02-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I just got my Ice Link today. For those who don't know, this is the NISA member's newsletter and the headline on the front page is "ITV's Dancing on Ice brings crowds to Britains Ice Rinks". The article goes on to say how all the rinks here have seen an upsurge of people on public sessions and signing up for lessons following the huge success of this 8-week TV series. I guess it's good for Britain to encourage people to have a go. A bit of a pain for us regulars who have our ice taken over by newbies, but hey, I can't complain as I had the whole rink to myself on this morning's patch!

Nicki

LTM
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
As a recreational skater and someone who works in health care, I applaud anyone who gets off their couch potato backsides and gives any sort of aerobic activity a try. Especially if they have to to in front a bunch of people who can't do anything but sneer at them.
I don't about other places but I do know that ice time to be tight in places with few rinks and several kids hockey teams. That private clubs are extremely expensive and public rinks are paid for primarily by the taxpayers giving them the idea, I suppose, that they are allowed to skate in them.
Unless you got the bucks for private ice, sometimes you gotta a share.

NickiT
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
As a recreational skater and someone who works in health care, I applaud anyone who gets off their couch potato backsides and gives any sort of aerobic activity a try. Especially if they have to to in front a bunch of people who can't do anything but sneer at them.
I don't about other places but I do know that ice time to be tight in places with few rinks and several kids hockey teams. That private clubs are extremely expensive and public rinks are paid for primarily by the taxpayers giving them the idea, I suppose, that they are allowed to skate in them.

I don't think anyone here is "sneering" at newbies. We are just fascinated that the Olympics and TV programmes like "Dancing on Ice" have inspired so many people to have a go. It's great for the sport and once those who find it too hard drop out, we may be left with some serious skaters as a result which can only be a good thing.

We've all been there and taken that first, tentative step on the ice so we all know exactly what it's like and we also know how much of a commitment it is if we really want to make good progress. Of course anyone who get's off their backside and takes up a sport, no matter what, deserves praise.

I just feel sorry that you have got the wrong idea about this thread. I think it was just an innocent observation by a regular skater, that the Olympics have inspired so many to take up skating. These rinks have been here several years with little interest then suddenly the Olympics and a new TV programme or two, and we are inundated!!

I agree that skating on busy sessions isn't ideal and from that perspective it is a bit irritating, but most rinks offer patch ice and if skating on sessions is becoming impossible as it is at my rink, then best to skate on patch, which is what I do!

Nicki

Rusty Blades
02-27-2006, 01:13 PM
The interesting thing will be to see how long the craze lasts!

Being so late in the season (for the Northern Hemisphere), I'd bet half (or less) of them stick it out until spring when the rinks start shutting down. I'd be surprised if 10% show up next fall to sign up.

There's a big difference between buying hardware store skates and showing up at a few public sessions and making the commitment to get good equipment and signing up for a structued program.

More figure skaters is good - it gives us and the FSCs "clout" with rink management :)

Mrs Redboots
02-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Being so late in the season (for the Northern Hemisphere), I'd bet half (or less) of them stick it out until spring when the rinks start shutting down. I'd be surprised if 10% show up next fall to sign up.I don't know where you are, but I know many rinks in the USA, and the majority of full-time rinks in the UK (as opposed to the temporary "Christmas" rinks, the last of which closed last weekend) stay open all year round. It is not, alas, true, in Europe - but in an uncomfortably hot summer, the ice-rink is a wonderful place to be!

In fact, over here, the main competition season is in the summer, since that's when the rinks aren't wanted for hockey!

garyc254
02-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Especially if they have to to in front a bunch of people who can't do anything but sneer at them.

I would never sneer at them. 8O

Actually I've given more impromptu advise to new skaters in the last week than I usually do in a month.

Had one little girl who was in tears because it looked so easy on television, but all she could do was fall down. After I got her the right size skates (mom had gotten her shoe size) and coached her to keep her arms in front and to march, she did much better. Got a nice thank you at the end of the session.

I'm all for newbies to get on the ice, but it would help if they knew that they might need some experienced help or lessons.

8-)

Skate@Delaware
02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I would never sneer at them. 8O

Actually I've given more impromptu advise to new skaters in the last week than I usually do in a month.

Had one little girl who was in tears because it looked so easy on television, but all she could do was fall down. After I got her the right size skates (mom had gotten her shoe size) and coached her to keep her arms in front and to march, she did much better. Got a nice thank you at the end of the session.

I'm all for newbies to get on the ice, but it would help if they knew that they might need some experienced help or lessons.

8-)
I do the same: tell them to get a smaller size, or re-tie their skates for them (I'm sure you would believe me how loose they have them tied), tell them to bend down in their knees, get their hands out of their pockets, etc...

I sometimes get asked if I'm a coach, professional, etc....:roll: I smile, say no and tell them about lessons....

samba
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I sometimes get asked if I'm a coach, professional, etc....:roll: I smile, say no and tell them about lessons....
That reminds me of the time one little girl asked for my autograph, I though she was joking until my coach said "just sign it":lol:

garyc254
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM

Same here.

If you can get them started in the right direction, they'll be skaters for life. Otherwise, they'll be frustrated and never return.

`

beachbabe
02-27-2006, 04:58 PM
see all i ever seem to be asked is how to jump...the trouble is, i have no idea what to say to these kids other than show them and tell them to take lessons. They always seem to get upset and leave, trying to do back crossovers when they can barely stand up on their skates.

I wish they would do a seperate session from public ones, especially for people who have never skated before and have a couple of skate guards go around and make sure they are doing ok. I feel abd for some of the little kids who egt knocked down by 12 yr old hockey players who dont even seem to watch where they were going.

I was trying to do a double salchow saturday and some annoying hockey kid ran right into me as they were racing in the opposite direction of the rink...he ended up with a huge cut on his hand from my freshly sharpened blades...and as much as i hate to say it, i really didn't feel sorry for him.

all i ask of skaters is for them to just watch where they are going and give figure skaters some room, because the fact is, we are still going to practice and if there is no space someone can and will get hurt.

EastonSkater
02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I feel abd for some of the little kids who egt knocked down by 12 yr old hockey players who dont even seem to watch where they were going.

Yes....that kind of thing is not good. That's when the rink supervisor must step in to stop that kind of thing. There was one time an idiot was skating backwards FAST against the flow of traffic and suddenly I saw him. There was no time to dodge, so I just stood my ground. He came crashing hard to the ground after he collided into me and I just stood there unmoved. The rink supervisors saw it. I just said to the supervisor....'that's what happens when people don't follow the rink rules', and the supervisor smiled.

Kevin Callahan
02-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Today was worst yet though, because the school district had a teacher in service day, and so the rink was packed in the middle of the day. I had a lesson today, and I didn't feel we got a lot worked on because I kept having to stop. Barry, of course, could do all sorts of things in small spaces, but I felt too nervous. Probably half of the time was wasted because I felt I had to stop, reset, and attempt an element again.

What really upset me was how many times my skates got clipped by other people on the ice. :x

SkatingOnClouds
02-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Please don't misinterpret what I said. I don't sneer. I smile internally at those who really do act as if they can do everything straight off.

I too, give gladly of my time to those who ask questions. I am only too happy to answer questions and demonstrate things. My most common answer to the "how do you do that?" is ;"a good teacher and lots of practise".

I love that so many people want to try it, and genuinely hope many will push past the shock that it isn't that easy.

I only bemoan (tongue in cheek) that it doesn't leave much room on our rink for those who want to practise the jumps, spins, spirals etc.

As for tax-payers - ???? Aren't all rinks businesses? Are you telling me that there are government funded rinks in some places?

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2006, 06:59 AM
If I'm putzing around, I don't mind helping kids/adults with the basics. I will NOT teach someone how to jump/spin if they can't skate around. I tell them about lessons and tell them they need to learn the basics stuff first!!! (Kind of a cop-out but it's safer that way!!!)

If I see someone blasting around in a dangerous manner (i.e. backwards without looking) and there are no ice guards, I catch up to them and kindly ask them to look behind them while they are doing it. If there are ice guards, I inform them and let them do it. If the kid keeps doing it, sometimes I play devil's advocate and get near him where he will skate into me (yeah, I'm bad). Believe me, I've been knocked into about 5 times so far and no one's gotten hurt but it does open their eyes!! I have the blessing of the rink manager on this one.

I also see parent's carrying kids around while skating. I kindly (:x ) tell them what could happen it they trip, and suggest they put the child down and offer advice-cone, skating tips, etc. (their stupidity astounds me!)

Last night I had to remind a teenage FIGURE SKATER during lesson warmup to look behind....this is the 50th time I've had to remind her so guess what happened???? Yup! I let her skate into me! I asked her if she saw me.....8O I think that is the only way some of them will learn. Luckily, it was me and not one of the little kids. This is the same girl who skates around with both earphones on, loud music, not able to hear. Gave her a warning. Durn whippa' snappa's!!!

Yeah, I'm evil. I should make a hat.:twisted:

OTOH, I will COMPLEMENT ANYONE who has nice skills, whether a figure, hockey, or recreational skater. I think it's good to build a rappor with the skating public. I'm there a lot (that's one reason why I'm asked if I teach or if I'm a coach I guess). I can also tell people about what restaurants are in the area or shopping, etc. I have met the most interesting people during public skate!!!

PS-My rink is "funded" by the State Lottery-Slots under the Delaware State Fair. So you would think it would be some super-duper place that's open all year long.....well, it's nice enough, but they are always complaining about the money and it's closed in the summer. Word through the grapevine that it is a tax write-off for the State Fair. That being said, they aren't interested in "making money" but barely breaking even so $$$ can be written off every year. If they show too much profit this can't happen. They close every summer "for the State Fair" so the building can be an exhibit hall for the 4-H. Yeah, it closes mid-April through August for the fair which is held for 1.5 weeks in JULY for exhibits for the 4-H which has the lowest attendance out of the whole fair, because the rink is at the farthest corner of the fairgrounds. AND last year they received over 500 calls asking about skating hours during the fair alone!!!

Another reason is they don't want to make it a competitive rink-just recreational. No high-level training, just LTS programs.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

garyc254
02-28-2006, 10:02 AM
As for tax-payers - ???? Aren't all rinks businesses? Are you telling me that there are government funded rinks in some places?

Most of the rinks in the St. Louis area are part of the Parks & Recreation Department of the city or county they are in. It's very hard for rinks to make a profit, so most operate at a break even basis (if possible).

The St. Louis County Parks and Recreation Department runs 3 indoor rinks. Kirkwood, Creve Coeur, Brentwood, Florissant (outdoor only), and Webster Groves all run their own rinks. St. Louis City has a large outdoor rink that they run.

8-)

sunshinepointe
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Because of the Olympics my rink is increasing its enrollment rate for learn to skate classes - even before the Olympics they were overrun with students because they absorbed the students from my old rink, but now they're having to turn people away from the LTS program. Part of the reason I decided to switch over to two privates during the day when there's NO one around. I need me some space.

rlichtefeld
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM

In a lot of the northern cities in the USA, there are rinks that are run by the municipalities and county governments. I think Chicago has about 40 rinks and almost all of them are run by government.

However, in the South, where I'm located, most of the rinks are private businesses. Since they aren't subsidized with tax revenues, they are more expensive.

Rob

Kevin Callahan
02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
All the rinks I've encountered in Texas are private. The Dallas Stars Franchise owns my training rink in Frisco, but my rinks in Austin are owned by a single individual (who also is an absolutely awesome skate-smith, and repairs all figure skates personally).

blisspix
02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
You can really tell the wannabes. It looks so easy on television. They are trying to do everything: go backwards, spirals and spins. There was a couple there today who were trying to spin by digging what small amount of toe-pcik there is on a rental skate into the ice and spin up on it. Frightening!

Aughhh and those who become over-confident and spend the entire session criss crossing their way through the middle of the ice, where of course we who usually attend the lunchtime session are trying to spin jump.

Also, net increase of moronic teenagers saying "wow, you're good". Yuck.

blisspix
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Most of the rinks in the St. Louis area are part of the Parks & Recreation Department of the city or county they are in. It's very hard for rinks to make a profit, so most operate at a break even basis (if possible).

Same as Chicago. They're often attached to other community facilities like parks or pools. Great concept.

Not sure what the situation is with my local rinks... they seem to get some govt. funding for building but I don't know about the running. My local is a co-op but I don't know if that's just for management or ownership too.

blisspix
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Our Gold freeskate contender almost collided back to back with a girl from another club who didn't recognize the program music or realize our girl was doing her program - us locals all know her routine and stay out of her way.

To be fair, this is why rinks insist that skaters doing their programs wear a vest, sash, armband or some other identifying mark. Does your rink not have them?

Even when I do recognise people's music at my local rink, I can't spend the entire session paying attention to who's where at every moment. The armband stands out as a reminder of whom you definitely must make way for and those who you should show courtesy to, but not stop what you're doing (eg, skaters doing runthroughs outside of lessons).

Rusty Blades
03-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Blisspix: That particular session is usually about 12 of us, all "mature" (well, it's TRUE, even if only in years!), and it isn't normally a problem. When they play program music, the do announce who's program is coming up so everybody knows it's a program. For us "locals" we know most of the programs and know where the skate will be going.

Most all of the rinks up here in Canada are built with tax-payer's money and operated to break even. I know my two clubs pay $90/hour and $145/hour respectively for ice time, the rural rink being less expensive. There is only one private rink (club) that I am aware of and it no longer caters to figure skaters - more money to be had from hockey :cry:

cassarilda
03-01-2006, 05:12 AM
There is only one private rink (club) that I am aware of and it no longer caters to figure skaters - more money to be had from hockey :cry:

Sounds like our ONE rink in Melbourne and the rinks in Perth :frus: :frus: Dont get me wrong, I know that hockey has to practise, but so do we!! :cry:

garyc254
03-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Sounds like our ONE rink in Melbourne and the rinks in Perth :frus: :frus: Dont get me wrong, I know that hockey has to practise, but so do we!! :cry:

That's why it's great when local governments run the rinks. They must cater to all skaters as a community service. Figure, hockey, and speed.

8-)

beachbabe
03-01-2006, 03:43 PM
That's why it's great when local governments run the rinks. They must cater to all skaters as a community service. Figure, hockey, and speed.

8-)

i guess i can't complain, our rink does have freetyle sessions AT 4:30-6:00 AM.and i have to be in school by 7 when the rink is 30 mins away...nevr mind changing and showering.
I'd rather run into people at publics and go at a normal time, than wake up at 3:30 and pay $15 for less than 30 mins ice time with 21 skaters on there as well as me, then breaking every road rule so i can hop in and out of the shower and get some clothes on.
Don't get me wrong, when I really need to egt something with my coach i'll do it, but definately not often and its not preferable.

SkatingOnClouds
03-02-2006, 01:35 AM

Now Erinna, I read in the paper only yesterday about a proposed $60million ice centre for Melbourne, where they hope to hold a sort of World Youth Olympics every two years.

You'll need a new catch-phrase if that ever happens!

EastonSkater
03-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Now Erinna, I read in the paper only yesterday about a proposed $60million ice centre for Melbourne, where they hope to hold a sort of World Youth Olympics every two years.

That's what we need up here in North Queensland. Except, it should be 120 million dollars to give us really good insulation to stop the heat from getting inside the rink area.

cassarilda
03-02-2006, 03:06 AM

Theyve been going on about building that thing for YEARS now...

True, this is a new development, and looks promising, but we're heading back to Perth next year, so its not going to do us any good :)

iskatealot
03-03-2006, 03:29 AM
I can see how the Olympics bringing more people to the rink would be kind of annoying. My rink on the other hand, we could definitely use more skaters around. Not that that will happen because I didnt even get to see the Olympics on tv here. Not one single tv station played the olympics. Its too bad because my rink has maybe 15 people who actually figure skate, and only 3 people who really figure skate. Maybe 8 girls are all in the little stages of onefoot spins and toeloops. There are about 4 more who are up to the point where they are starting on their axels, but none of them understand the Practice Makes Perfect concept. They all believe that the coach will make everything happen for them, they show up at 3 oclock for a 3oclock lesson and leave at 3:30 when its over. Then there are the final 3 of us who actually bother getting up to go to the rink before school and have acutally made it to the doubles stage of skating. We have no adult skaters, one guy, and no new little kids starting. I actually wish that they had played the Olympics and brought us some new skaters!

EastonSkater
03-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Our rink here is less than half the size of a normal rink .... so one can imagine how messed up it would be when a whole bunch of people go there at the same time.

beachbabe
03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I can see how the Olympics bringing more people to the rink would be kind of annoying. My rink on the other hand, we could definitely use more skaters around. Not that that will happen because I didnt even get to see the Olympics on tv here. Not one single tv station played the olympics. Its too bad because my rink has maybe 15 people who actually figure skate, and only 3 people who really figure skate. Maybe 8 girls are all in the little stages of onefoot spins and toeloops. There are about 4 more who are up to the point where they are starting on their axels, but none of them understand the Practice Makes Perfect concept. They all believe that the coach will make everything happen for them, they show up at 3 oclock for a 3oclock lesson and leave at 3:30 when its over. Then there are the final 3 of us who actually bother getting up to go to the rink before school and have acutally made it to the doubles stage of skating. We have no adult skaters, one guy, and no new little kids starting. I actually wish that they had played the Olympics and brought us some new skaters!

no..trust me...you don't wish that. want more skaters, take all the ones at my rink, pleeeeease I'd be glad to let you have them all. Just enjoy your situation b/c here you'll take every second of ice time you can get. You get to skate practically with the ice all to yourself. I've never been able to get more than 10 mins of actual ice time all to myself, unless you wanna pay like $300 for an hr. concider yourself very very lucky.

but it does suck they didn't show the olympics? or maybe you just do not have the sports channel pack

SkatingOnClouds
03-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Our rink here is less than half the size of a normal rink .... so one can imagine how messed up it would be when a whole bunch of people go there at the same time.
I reckon ours must be less than 1/4 size

EastonSkater
03-04-2006, 01:35 AM

OMG ... you're kidding! hmm... 1/4 size is starting to get ridiculous. You're in Tasmania right? I will have to check up on rink size. 1/4 size is starting to get kind of too small maybe.

EastonSkater
03-04-2006, 01:37 AM

OMG ... you're kidding! hmm... 1/4 size is starting to get ridiculous. You're in Tasmania right? I will have to check up on rink size. 1/4 size is starting to get kind of too small maybe. I just checked on google.... glenorchy skate rink... but no dimensions given.

EastonSkater
03-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Being crowded is not the only problem either. Some new people, like some school kids, that just rock up to the rink just to mess around for one afternoon tend to not respect some of the rules, like not to drop candy wrappers and candy on the ice. And then, when some of them fall, they drop coins on the ice, and some drop hair pins. And some rental skates tend to drop little pieces of skate parts on the ice as well. These crazy things can be disastrous when a skate rolls over them. Not just for the skaters, but also not nice on the blade edge. Hair pins getting caught under the blade can be really nasty.

SkatingOnClouds
03-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Well I have to admit I am not sure what an Olympic size rink actually measures. I know ours is pretty small though. Heck, I'm just grateful there is a rink here.

EastonSkater
03-05-2006, 02:18 AM
Well I have to admit I am not sure what an Olympic size rink actually measures. I know ours is pretty small though. Heck, I'm just grateful there is a rink here.

Not sure...a hockey rink is supposed to be around 61 x 26 metres.

Our ice rink here is ... ok....don't laugh.... 32 x 22 metres.

NickiT
03-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Ours is an Olympic size rink and it measures 60m by 30m. The problem is you get used to that size and when you go and compete elsewhere on a smaller rink you run the risk of running into the barrier!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2006, 06:11 AM
As I understand it, Olympic-size is 60x30 and "National" or hockey rinks are 56x26. Our rink manages to be 60x26, which has some advantages and some disadvantages.

This year the British Adult Championships, like the European Championships, will be on the smaller size.... sigh! Mind you, given the state of our step sequence right now, that's perhaps just as well.....

Isk8NYC
03-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Lately, when I teach on the public sessions, I wait impatiently for the birthday party announcements calling the skaters for pizza and party! I know the on-ice crowd will thin out substantially.