View Full Version : Conversion to curling ...

wisniew
02-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Did anyone in the DC/Md area by any chance make it out to the open house in Laurel yesterday? (National Capital Curling Center next to the Ice House.)

My kids have been locked on MSNBC. My oldest son got me to take him out. They did a great job (and apparently will be continuing on Sat and Sun with more open house activities.) WTOP radio was there last nite also.

They basically ran you through a half dozen stations. They didn't get into scoring or strategy. Not really enuf time.

Now, my questions/points.

1. Any curlers lurking out there?
2. Holy crap Batman.

I'm standing there watching the volunteers run everyone through calisthenics. "Yea, right. I skate 3-4 times a week and work out 5 times a week. Give me a break, right?"

I am hear to say. "I am not worthy. I am not worthy.":giveup: :giveup: :giveup: Talk about lower body workout and ... at least in skating you have edges on the skates. With the slider ... there is no negotiation about body position. Sheesh. My skating coach better not get wind of that slider. He'll make me wear that bloody thing to force me to keep that knee aligned over the foot:twisted:

And, the shots on TV do no justice wrt the distances involved.

Anyway, I think that I'll probably be signing up with my son ... more ice-time:!: :!:

Joe

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2006, 08:02 AM
No, I didn't hear about that....we are talking about taking up short-track speed skating at our rink though (if they will spring the $20K on the board padding).....8O

anything for spandex!

wisniew
02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
No, I didn't hear about that....we are talking about taking up short-track speed skating at our rink though (if they will spring the $20K on the board padding).....8O

anything for spandex!

They had over 1200 people show up during the weekend. And it looks like I have another ice sport to add to the resume. My oldest son is jazzed to death about this. So this Thursday we start. (In fact, he has already scoped out where all the facilities are in Utah for planning purposes when he starts college in a year and a half (ALREADY???)

http://www.curldc.org/

http://curldc.org/sfw/gallery/WinOlym_OH_feb_2006_thu/P2231297

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2006, 01:18 PM
For those on the Eastern Shore, there is curling at Easton, Maryland. They are finishing up on the remodeling of their whole facility and it should be completed soon. Talk about nice!

There is talk about keeping it open for the summer, but nothing definite. It's about 45-50 minutes from my house, but in the summer.....with beach traffic....:giveup:

My coach #1 coaches there primarily.

Do you know where there are speed skating tracks in the Del-Mar-Va-Penn-NJ area (within 2-3 hour drive of Delaware, so that would rule out Western PA)? We keep getting asked....