View Full Version : Falling on the ice, you, me and the elite?

cecealias
02-23-2006, 09:55 PM
If you think falling is bad, what do the elites feel? So glad to hear that they feel the same pain and finally the public gets to hear about the bloody details....:lol:

BRIAN BOITANO, 1988 Olympic gold medalist It's like time stands still. It's almost surreal, like it's not happening to you. I used to fall when I practiced my quad jumps, always hitting the same spot -- the right hipbone. Some guys would fall there so often that they would develop blood blisters and start wearing padded pants for protection. I didn't like wearing them because they threw my timing off, so I stuffed foam rubber in my pants, the kind they use in furniture cushions. I'd hold it in place with an Ace bandage. I didn't do that in competition, but I have noticed that Japan's Fumie Suguri does. I can see the padding beneath her tights.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/02/20/skate0227/index.html

EastonSkater
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
fumie is smart to do that. If putting on a little padding doesn't affect the performance, then it's a good idea.

Rusty Blades
02-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Returning after so many years away my falling is as rusty as my skating! The first time - not even a bruise - I thought "At least I remember how to fall!" - the second time, a cracked rib - well maybe I DON'T remember how to fall - LOL!! At least it reminded me that much skating is done with pain or injuries! :roll:

Skate@Delaware
02-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I keep falling on the same spot (left hip) and at the advice of my chiropractor and massage therapist and coach, have taken to wearing my pads again. I had ditched them for a while cause they got hot. I have a permanent bruise there because I keep falling on the same spot. I wear the silicon gel pads that are very thin but cushiony enough to help absorb most of the impact.

Of course, the other day fell on my flip attempt, I jammed my finger (don't ask me how it happened-didn't notice till the next day when I couldn't put my ring on)!

You can't pad everything-if you do you might as well play hockey!

Figureskates
02-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Not a bad idea.

I am considering getting thin pads for my knees. I took a nasty spill about 6 weeks back on the rebuilt left knee. The bruise is gone but I have a huge bubble on the kneecap which I am told is from the bursa swelling. It doesn't hurt or affect my skating, it just looks weird.

I think padding would help that area since I can't keep abusing that poor knee!

dbny
02-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Not a bad idea.

I am considering getting thin pads for my knees. I took a nasty spill about 6 weeks back on the rebuilt left knee. The bruise is gone but I have a huge bubble on the kneecap which I am told is from the bursa swelling. It doesn't hurt or affect my skating, it just looks weird.

I think padding would help that area since I can't keep abusing that poor knee!

Knee pads help a lot. I use the inexpensive ones from Modell's (or any other sporting goods store) that are sold for bike riding. They are so unobtrusive that most people don't notice I am wearing them.

tidesong
02-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I dont always fall on the same spot, so I dont usually end up wearing pads in one place, but I just bruised my knee, so I'll be wearing knee pads until the bruise goes away... I find them bulky so I dont usually wear them until I fall on my knee, which isnt too often which is why I just cant keep it up although it would be best if I did wear them all the time but after not falling on the knee for months I get tired of wearing extra padding.

Its cool to read about elite and falls... my parents keep nagging at me everytime I go home with a bruise that its nice to see that you can be good at the sport and still fall and aren't permanently disabled.

jazzpants
02-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Great!!! The elites can go and wear protective pads but we mere mortals are told by our coaches to NOT WEAR PADS b/c it's considered to be "coddling" and restricts our movement... :roll: :twisted: :P :lol: (Okay, I *am* allowed to wear one knee pad when I am practicing a knee slide pose.) ;)

Skate@Delaware
02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm 44 and I'm told to start wearing my pads again. So I don't have to worry about being "coddled" if I have permission! I'd rather have my pads on and NOT get yelled at...than not have them on and get yelled at. Especially since coach #2 has hinted that coach #1 has "new things in store for me" 8O 8O 8O 8O I think I should be very afraid (those "skate as fast as you can go" laps "every time you skate" are kind of setting me up for something)8O

jazzpants
02-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, I'm 44 and I'm told to start wearing my pads again. So I don't have to worry about being "coddled" if I have permission! I'd rather have my pads on and NOT get yelled at...than not have them on and get yelled at. Especially since coach #2 has hinted that coach #1 has "new things in store for me" 8O 8O 8O 8O I think I should be very afraid (those "skate as fast as you can go" laps "every time you skate" are kind of setting me up for something)8OSounds like my secondary coach. She wants me to haul @$$ every time I skate in front of her. She LOVES SPEED!!!!:twisted:

I was not only specifically told to NOT wear pads and "tough it out," but to actually "take more risks and fall more often!!!" This is coming from BOTH coaches!!! :cry: (So no butt pads other than the "natural type...") :roll:

Skate@Delaware
02-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Sounds like my secondary coach. She wants me to haul @$$ every time I skate in front of her. She LOVES SPEED!!!!:twisted:

I was not only specifically told to NOT wear pads and "tough it out," but to actually "take more risks and fall more often!!!" This is coming from BOTH coaches!!! :cry: (So no butt pads other than the "natural type...") :roll:
I think she is increasing my comfort zone....and trying to take care of me (sweet) without increasing the insurance liability (or adding to my many bruises).

My last fall (on Sunday) was a "what am I doing here?" type thing. One minute I was jumping, the next I was flat on the ice and trying to breathe....I was mad that my jump didn't work, and mad that my other coach saw it tank, and mad that she asked if I was wearing pads and I wasn't. And she called me on it. I am the oldest person at my rink jumping (oh, that sounds so bad!) I feel so old sometimes!!

jazzpants
02-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I think she is increasing my comfort zone....and trying to take care of me (sweet) without increasing the insurance liability (or adding to my many bruises).

My last fall (on Sunday) was a "what am I doing here?" type thing. One minute I was jumping, the next I was flat on the ice and trying to breathe....I was mad that my jump didn't work, and mad that my other coach saw it tank, and mad that she asked if I was wearing pads and I wasn't. And she called me on it. I am the oldest person at my rink jumping (oh, that sounds so bad!) I feel so old sometimes!!I am actually somewhere in the middle amongst the adult skaters!!! (I'm 38!) And we see plenty of adults 10-20 years older doing better than me... so I have no excuse for wearing pads!!! :roll:

NCSkater02
02-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I
I am the oldest person at my rink jumping (oh, that sounds so bad!) I feel so old sometimes!!

As a rule, I am the oldest period. One or two of the coaches are older, but I'm the only one over 20 on a regular basis. There is the occasional other adult, but they are few and far between. Most of them are able to skate early AMs, or middle of the day.

I don't wear pads. I figure they will hinder my movements. Besides, my only serious injuries have been the broken ankle and the two (?) concussions. Pads wouldn't have helped either. Just don't look at my knees right now--though they are mostly healed.:D

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
As a rule, I am the oldest period. One or two of the coaches are older, but I'm the only one over 20 on a regular basis. There is the occasional other adult, but they are few and far between. Most of them are able to skate early AMs, or middle of the day.

I don't wear pads. I figure they will hinder my movements. Besides, my only serious injuries have been the broken ankle and the two (?) concussions. Pads wouldn't have helped either. Just don't look at my knees right now--though they are mostly healed.:D
I really don't know what to say! You are right about the pads, though! (but I'm not giving mine up!)

OUCH!!

Mrs Redboots
03-01-2006, 05:50 AM
As a rule, I am the oldest period. One or two of the coaches are older, but I'm the only one over 20 on a regular basis. There is the occasional other adult, but they are few and far between. Most of them are able to skate early AMs, or middle of the day.At our rink, on certain Wednesday mornings, the only people on the ice are middle-aged men, until I get there, and then it's middle-aged men and one middle-aged woman! In fact, one morning, I don't think anybody under 50 got on the ice until an hour before the public session started!

Of the seven coaches employed at our rink, only two are under 45, and only one is still in her 20s. All the men are either already over 50, or rapidly approaching it!

And the rink had its 75th birthday on Sunday!