View Full Version : Where can you find information about compound moves?

Simon_skates
02-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi
I have a couple of books that Ive been
learning figure skating from. They have good
description of basic moves, like edges, 3-turns,
brackets, basic spins, jumps etc.
But they dont have description of more
compound-like moves, moves you see them doing on tv.
For example twizzles i think its called when spinning on
one foot and going forwards at the same time.
Or the move where they do a 3-turn and then a quick
3-turn back the same way, all on the same foot.
Or moves you see them doing with their toe-picks,
twirling and leaping with them.

Anyone know if there exist some sort of list of all these kind of
compound moves, or moves in general?
Or some good book that has them?

/Simon

dbny
02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Twizzles and three-bracket-three sequences (what you saw as three turns) are very advanced moves and you are not going to find instructions for them in any book. You really need coaching to get there. If you want to shell out some $$$ you could buy the PSA Moves In The Field videos/dvds, which do describe each move and have a teaching progression and teaching tips for them, but believe me, you need a coach! Also, not everything you see on TV is right out of the MITF. The best of it is professionally choreographed, as are all of the programs themselves.

climbsk8
02-23-2006, 02:02 PM
How to do a twizzle:

Start with a forward inside 3-turn. Keep turning and turning until you completely lose your bearing and splat.

Repeat, except this time try to check out before the splat part.

Oh, it helps if you keep your free leg close and your arms low.

stardust skies
02-23-2006, 06:12 PM
You find those moves in the heads of good coaches. Hire one and they will teach them all to you. There is no way you'll learn the way of doing so much as a 3-turn correctly without some kind of instruction.

Skate@Delaware
02-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I need the Cliff notes for skaters....one week we "learned" brackets, then the next it was counters. Now I'm confused and have them mixed up and am not sure what the heck I'm doing! I need the cheat sheet!

I forgot to write it down in my journal when I got off the ice....hubby was in a hurry to get home :x

coskater64
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
bracket is first counter rotational (contra-rotational) move, the exact opposite of a 3 turn. a counter is a bracket going in and a 3 turn going out the point on the counter points the way you are going. don't learn a rocker or else youy'll be more confused.8O

dbny
02-24-2006, 12:29 AM
A three turn is named for the tracing that looks like the number "3". Turn the cusp the other way by rotating out of the circle, and you get a bracket, which has a tracing that looks like "}". Now do a three turn that does not change edge and you have a rocker. Rotate counter to that, and you have a counter.

Simon_skates
02-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Cool
I have ordered that PSA Moves in the Field DVD.
It sounds like a good video with description of
different kind of moves.

Im sure you guys are right that you need a
coach. Its just that here in Sweden figure skating
is not as big as in the US. So coaches dont grow
on trees.

I have actually skated for about 10 years (turning
30 next year) and have been using the same book
during all those years. I have actually managed to
learn some stuff from the book pretty well, like
3-turns and pivots for example. But Im sure Im
not doing them totally correct. And with a
coach I would probably have learnt them faster.

Anyways it will be neat looking at that MITF video.
Its fun trying to learn new things.
Thanks for the tips
/Simon

Skate@Delaware
02-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Believe it or not-I can do a rocker...it's the brackets and counters that confusicate me :frus:

She taught us rockers and made a fine example by saying (and showing) that they are good moves for getting out of corners.

I should set more time aside to practice these things. With all the time I practice....:giveup:

luna_skater
02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Believe it or not-I can do a rocker...it's the brackets and counters that confusicate me :frus:

Rockers came to me way quicker than brackets or counters ever did!

Skate@Delaware
02-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Rockers came to me way quicker than brackets or counters ever did!
I like doing rockers! They flow so nicely!

Last night in lessons, coach asked if I had been practicing brackets or counters.....I had to tell her I have been confused between the two. So we worked on outside mohawks instead 8O .

miraclegro
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Not that i'm the expert, but wouldn't a drawing of each move help keep it in your head? I'm a visual learner as far as seeing it on the ice....

Skate@Delaware
02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Not that i'm the expert, but wouldn't a drawing of each move help keep it in your head? I'm a visual learner as far as seeing it on the ice....
www.sk8stuff.com (http://www.sk8stuff.com) has drawings of the brackets, counters, etc. but sometimes I need the instructions.

I did review the Physics on Ice #1 for the quick bracket info, which helped...