View Full Version : Where do I start?

LydiaW
02-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Where do I start? I took skating lessons before, when I was like 8 or 9, and I quit about the age of 10. I'm now 18, and I really really want to skate again. Only problem is, in that time, I have gained some weight, and now I am a hundred pounds over my healthy weight. My goal is to start my ice skating when I am thin though to not hurt myself, but I really want to skate now. Is there anyway to skate now? Or should I wait?

Also, should I start out with beginning lessons again when I start? Group or Private? Ice Skating is my dream...I really want to fulfill it.

Thanks.

Mrs Redboots
02-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Skate now! If you're going to lose weight, you'll need to take exercise, and skating is a really fun way to get it!

If I were you, I'd go down to the rink and just have a skate round, get your feet under you again, so to speak. And find out, while you are there, what is on offer in the way of group lessons, private lessons, etc. You might want to take a "casual" lesson with one of the teachers, no commitment either side, just to see where you would slot in in the group lessons.

And good luck!

nerd_on_ice
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Skate now! If you're going to lose weight, you'll need to take exercise, and skating is a really fun way to get it!

I agree! I read or heard somewhere that basic skating (just going around the rink) burns a crazy number of calories--I want to say 300 calories an hour? And I don't know about you, but it's about the only form of exercise that doesn't bore me into a stupor. :lol:

dbny
02-23-2006, 01:18 PM

ITA. If you wait to lose weight, you may never get started. Skating can be the key to your weight loss. It was for me, and I asked the very same question and received the same answer. Do it!

LydiaW
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I really really want to skate, but my family keeps saying to wait until I am skinnier, blah blah blah. I have a pair of ice skates my Dad gave me for my birthday, and I have yet to use them. I really want to do this...It's totally my dream! I will go and try skating at this current weight one time, and see how it works. If all goes well, I will continue. I am really focused on losing the weight right now, so I am trying to eat better and excercise more. Anyone have any suggestions on the best excercises to get in shape for skating?

samba
02-23-2006, 01:40 PM
What makes you think you wont get hurt when you are thin? believe me there's nothing worse than landing on a boney rear end.

Stop thinking about it, get out there, trust me you won't regret it and yes the weight will just drop off.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

flippet
02-23-2006, 01:55 PM
If you think you can't skate while you're heavier than you'd like, you're very, very wrong. I'm about 30 pounds more than I ought to be, but it wouldn't stop me. And I recall watching one woman compete a number of years ago--I'm certain that her doctor would have put her at about 100-150 pounds over an 'ideal' weight....and she was competing and kicking butt...she was doing lutzes, while little old me, back when I was at a proper weight, couldn't get past the salchow. So, yes, weight apparently has only a little bit to do with whether one can 'skate' or not.

climbsk8
02-23-2006, 02:00 PM
You Go Girl!!!

Start skating now. If you don't feel up to doing jumps and spins yet, no big deal. It's a great time to work on your stroking and basic skills.

I know a bunch of adult skaters who have used skating as a way to lose weight and get in shape. You don't have to have a perfect body to be a really good skater.

I would try to find a good and patient coach, or look for group classes that are for adults ... that will get you a good support group right away.

Best of luck!

Hannahclear
02-23-2006, 02:00 PM
I began skating at 14 after the 94 Games. I was a heavy teenager, about 30 pounds overweight. I lost those 30 pounds.

Ice skating is fantastic exercise. I quit for awhile but picked it up again as an adult. Now that I've been skating regularly, I have finally begun to lose weight again, this time I need to lose alot less though. But really, I spent the past two years trying to lose 10 pounds and was totally stuck even though I walked three miles most days. Now that I've been skating three days a week, skating hard, I've finally gotten below that "plateau" I was never able to touch.

Ice skating is high impact, high calorie burning exercise.

Buy some comfy clothes, don't be self conscious and just start again. You are doing something good for yourself!

LydiaW
02-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow! Thanks for the outpouring of responses! Now I am definantly going to go out and skate! Thanks so much for the encouragement. I Hope that I will lose the weight along the road, and make it to being a great skater!

Thank you!

Hannahclear
02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
How far along in skating did you get when you were a kid Lydia?

I think you will find that you can get back to where you were relatively quickly.

LydiaW
02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I was close to doing jumps, but I was afraid to do them, and plus I was frustrated, so I quit. I wish I hadn't...but now I am back doing what I dream of!

EastonSkater
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
My goal is to start my ice skating when I am thin though to not hurt myself, but I really want to skate now. Is there anyway to skate now? Or should I wait?

I think, as with anything, start at a very casual and relaxed pace. I find that skating in one recreational skate session is a fantastic fat burning exercise. Naturally, don't skate hard when you're just getting back into it. Your body will eventually get stronger after a number of rec sessions. So when you're feeling strong, skate a little harder with more powerful stroking. If one watches the diet and skates regularly, fitness will go up and weight can be lost.

NickiT
02-23-2006, 04:20 PM
As others have said, skate now! Don't wait till you are slimmer. You will get slimmer in the process of skating! It's great exercise and you won't even think of it as a workout because you'll be having so much fun.

Nicki

stardust skies
02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
The only negative thing I'll say is that you SHOULD wait until you are thinner (maybe when you are only 50 pounds above your healthy weight instead of 100) to start jumping. You will absolutely destroy your hip joint and knees if you try to jump with that much extra weight on you, even singles done correctly. But you can learn all moves in the field, upright spins, etc, which will help you a great deal in taking some of the weight off. You could also do off ice workouts to coincide with the skating and make the weight come off faster. I don't think you need to wait until starting to skate...but make sure you don't jump until some of the weight's come off, and most importantly, make sure that you have GOOD skates to support your ankles. Those synthetic skates with the plastic heels and blades attached aren't going to do the job for someone carrying 100 extra pounds. Look into a GOOD sturdy pair of skates. I'd reccommend the Riedell Silver or Gold Stars, probably Silver Stars, with MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace blades. I think that despite you being a beginner, it is crucial that you get adequate ankle support because otherwise you could injure yourself. Any other mid entry level skate from other brands should be fine- though stay away from Klingbeil and Grafs because they are much lighter skates and will probably break down too easily. SP Teris and Harlicks are good brands to check out as well as Riedell. I don't like Jacksons, but I'm sure they'd be fine too. Just please make sure your equipment is adequate for you- and good luck with everything!!!

stardust skies
02-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Also..since you asked, the best way to get in shape for skating is CARDIO. Running on an elliptical machine is great and very low impact. I run for 45 mins a day, but you can always start at less. I wouldn't do any weight training until the weight's come off because building muscle on ton of fat will really only make the fat harder to take off. I'd focus on cardio, cardio, cardio. A lot of people mistakenly think skating is a cardio workout, but at the lower levels (anything below doubles, and for some people even past that..) it isn't because you stop too often and the speed and demand of excercises isn't enough to get your body to the anaerobic levels of fat burning. So you actually need to do cardio separately. Hope that helps!

sunshinepointe
02-23-2006, 07:28 PM
^ I strongly disagree with you on the weight training. Muscle helps BURN fat - doesn't make it harder to come off. Weight training under the guidance of a trainer (at least until you know what you're doing) is greatly beneficial not only to skating but also fat loss.

I'm overweight myself, trying to drop about 30 pounds (I've lost 10 so far) and even if I was 100 pounds overweight I wouldn't let it stop me from doing something I love. Like everyone says just get out there and DO it. :bow:

LydiaW
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Once again, WOW! Thank you so much for all the advice! I am definantly going to go on and skate, and I am going to do a ton of good excercise, including cardio, as was advised. I will check out the equipment mentioned as well. Thank you all so much for the advice, and taking the time to talk to a girl who has only dreamed until now.

Thanks!

dbny
02-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Start now, but schedule a lesson for your first time on the ice. Also, go to a sporting goods store and get yourself a pair of soft knee pads. They are sold for bicycling and volleyball (some of those are too thick), and cost about $5.

Sooky
02-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi,

I'd echo what everyone has said. It can be hard when surrounded by the thin and beautiful not to feel inadequate, but skating is for everyone, and if you have even residual skills, you'll be fine.

I am in my late 30s and 'curvacious' - 5 ft 8 and about 160 lbs. I have to take steroids and interferon because I have MS and these don't help at all - since I was diagnosed my weight has increased by about 20 lbs. I hover between a UK size 14 and 16. I had never perceived it as an issue in skating until yesterday when my teacher (who I like a lot) began a sentence with the words "don't take this the wrong way . . .". Uh oh, I thought, she thinks I'm hopeless . . . She continued "do you think things would be a bit easier when your MS flares up if you were a bit slimmer?".

Now I know it was probably born of concern and a comment from someone more used to be surrounded by slimmer, younger models, but I was quite hurt. Silly really, but I can't stop thinking about it and wondering whether I look ridiculous skating . . .

So, this thread is timely and reminds me that I love to skate, I am fit and strong - end of!

Sooky x

Rusty Blades
02-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Ok, honesty time!

I am 56, 5' 9" and over 200 pounds (about 30 pounds "over-weight") and I HATE exercise but that didn't stop me from returning to figure skating after a 36 year absence! I wish I could say I have lost a lot of weight in the month I have been skating but I haven't - I HAVE improved my conditioning a lot and I am just starting to get some of the old skills back. I still hate "exercise" and have a heck of a time sticking to my "off-ice program" but NOTHING is going to keep me off my skates! I was well up in the advanced jumps when I was 19 and I know I will never do tripples again but that's not going to stop me from going as far as I can!

Get out there and SKATE!

VegasGirl
02-24-2006, 07:32 AM
You Go Girl!!!

Start skating now. If you don't feel up to doing jumps and spins yet, no big deal. It's a great time to work on your stroking and basic skills.

Aehem, ofcourse she won't feel up to jumps or spins yet... she's a beginner! Gotta learn how to walk before you can learn how to run. ;)

@LydiaW,

tke those skates you've got, go out to public skate and just start skating. See how it feels and while you're there find out what classes they offer. AT the same time though don't let the fact that you can skate overweight deter you from your goal to lose the extra weight you're carrying. You're way too young to be that much overweight!
Eat healthy and in moderation making sure that you burn more calories than you're putting in... exercise every day for atleast 45 minutes! At such a high weight make sure to pick a cardio workout that isn't to tough on your joints, swimming is a good one... make sure you're at aerobic level though otherwise you're ending up wasting your time.
Realize that it will take time to take off this much weight, be patient, take it day by day and don't lose sight of your goal!!! And I think that's where skating comes in the most!

Good luck and you go girl!!!

VegasGirl
02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
@StardustSkies,

though I do not agree with your explanation of why she should hold off on heavy wight training for now I too would advice against it. Cardio should be her first priority in order to lose the extra weight... that doesn't mean though that seh shouldn't do ay toning exercises, quite on the contrary as these are very important in the weight losing process as it is needed to support the joints as well as toning the "overstuffed" body and underdeveloped muscles.

crayonskater
02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
^ I strongly disagree with you on the weight training. Muscle helps BURN fat - doesn't make it harder to come off. Weight training under the guidance of a trainer (at least until you know what you're doing) is greatly beneficial not only to skating but also fat loss.

I'm overweight myself, trying to drop about 30 pounds (I've lost 10 so far) and even if I was 100 pounds overweight I wouldn't let it stop me from doing something I love. Like everyone says just get out there and DO it. :bow:

I just wanted to second that. Weight training is an excellent way to lose weight, and the extra muscle also raises your base metabolic rate. You may get a bit bulkier at first, but women don't pack on the muscle. This site (http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php) is full of reliable information for women weight trainers. Cardio is good, too, and I loves me the elliptical machine.

Anyhow, no jumping yet for the reasons stardust said; but you wouldn't wait until you were in shape to start a program of walking, would you? Same thing here: you can do moves and stroking and go for it. :)

EastonSkater
02-24-2006, 09:14 AM
I find that brisk pace walking is a fantastic way to lose weight. Of course....you have to watch the diet...as I mentioned before in a previous post. And you have to do a fair bit of it...like walk briskly for say half an hour to 40 mins a day.

But....on the other hand....just skating with moderate power strokes is also extremely good....and way more fun than just walking around. The more regularly you do it, the better it will be for losing weight and getting fit.

LydiaW
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok, I am going to go skate today for the first time in years! I am going to a cheap public skate that I will be near this afternoon, and I will probably stay an hour or so. I am so excited! I am looking into lessons at a nearby rink, beginner of course, and I won't do anything difficult until I get all the weight off. I am thrilled that I am going to skate again!

Wish me Luck!

dbny
02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok, I am going to go skate today for the first time in years! I am going to a cheap public skate that I will be near this afternoon, and I will probably stay an hour or so. I am so excited! I am looking into lessons at a nearby rink, beginner of course, and I won't do anything difficult until I get all the weight off. I am thrilled that I am going to skate again!

Wish me Luck!

Way to go!!! Don't be so sure you won't do anything difficult until you get the weight off. I was skating for a year before I was motivated enough to start losing weight, but by then I was in much better physical condition and able to do more than I had anticipated.

Let us know how it goes.

wisniew
02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Ok, honesty time!

I am 56, 5' 9" and over 200 pounds (about 30 pounds "over-weight") and I HATE exercise but that didn't stop me from returning to figure skating after a 36 year absence! I wish I could say I have lost a lot of weight in the month I have been skating but I haven't - I HAVE improved my conditioning a lot and I am just starting to get some of the old skills back. I still hate "exercise" and have a heck of a time sticking to my "off-ice program" but NOTHING is going to keep me off my skates! I was well up in the advanced jumps when I was 19 and I know I will never do tripples again but that's not going to stop me from going as far as I can!

Get out there and SKATE!

First off kudos to everyone on the board. This is what originally pulled me in:bow:

On the cardio/weight training ... that's an oft-debated issue, with the facts often getting in the way of strong opinions.:roll: Seriously, even if everyone agreed on the optimal solution, not everyone is going to follow that optimal guidance. If someone is making "enough" progress for them, hey, it is better than nothing.

But on the honesty thing, and focusing support for our new friend Lydia ... I had started getting serious about exercise a couple of months before starting skating, but not much. I am 6'2", right now 214. I was up to 240; about a year ago. It is becoming more difficult for me to know what the final optimum weight is, because the cardio is helping to jump-start the metabolism but/and the weight training and obvious lower leg work on the ice is really beginning to hit that lower body .... Did ya'll read that Sasha ... and all of em I am sure ... leg press 400# ... lest I digress .... I am a slave to those thunder thighs ;) so I am losing fat and gaining muscle ... I suspect that I will stabilize around 190 in other year. OMIGOSH, that would mean dropping 50!

Motto: trust the mirror.

So, point 1; my on-ice and off-ice programs have complement each other, pretty much. My off-ice work enables me to get through skills faster than just on-ice training ... mostly in knee-bend areas.

Point 2: Get the knee-pads. If that is a bit of self-conscious issue, that's fine. Just put them under your trousers. And remember to tuck that chin in HARD, if you go down backwards.

Point 3: Have someone take a video of you when you get mobile, not more than 2 or 3 times into getting on the ice though .... THIS will be a fantastic pump for you. I wish I had done it. I still should though.

Point 4: (I haven't read all the responses ... someone may have already mentioned this ...) You will certainly get those aches and pains. I am concerned a bit about your knees (without knowing anything of course). Anything really out of the ordinary painwise should be watched ... Keeping your doc informed wouldn't be a bad idea. If she is "too conservative" for you, find another one who will "team" with you ... besides all of us, of course.:)

I am just so jazzed for you.

This will be a real change for you. It won't go the way of the fad diets and exercise tapes and vids.

Joe

LydiaW
02-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, I went skating this afternoon. I didn't have the best time in the world. My feet were killing me in my new skates, even when I traded skates with my sister, and she was wearing rental skates, my feet still killed me. I am kind of discouraged right now. I didn't remember a lot of the basics, and my sister, who isn't even interested in skating, was skating circles around me. I really really want to skate. It's my dream! What did I do wrong? I feel like crud.

beachbabe
02-24-2006, 06:35 PM
if you wait you'll never do it, go for it

beachbabe
02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
don't ever let yor weight hold you back...I've seen morbidly obese women at my rink jumping axels and performing the fastest spins i've ever seen.

besides, when you skate the weight comes off very easily. I will repeat all my figure skating workout advice that my personal trainer gave me lol

skate 3 times a week min. for at least 2 hrs each time. then work out 3 out of the 4 remaining days at the gym.

drink one protein shake with breakfast every morning, drink an extra if you lift weights that day.

workout:
cardio-walk 5 min at 3.4
jog for 15 min at 6.2
walk for 20 min at 4.0 incline and 3.4 speed
weights-lift for about 30 min
work on different muscle groups on different days
keep weight high enough to make you be able to do only about 10- 18 reps and about 2-3 sets

ok hope that helped

EastonSkater
02-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, I went skating this afternoon. I didn't have the best time in the world. My feet were killing me in my new skates, even when I traded skates with my sister, and she was wearing rental skates, my feet still killed me. I am kind of discouraged right now. I didn't remember a lot of the basics, and my sister, who isn't even interested in skating, was skating circles around me. I really really want to skate. It's my dream! What did I do wrong? I feel like crud.

Maybe you can go for properly fitted skates, and also, get the ones that can be heat molded. The ones you heat up in a special kind of oven at the skate shop, and when it's at the right temperature, you pop them on your feet, do up the laces, and the skate material will more or less conform to the shape of your feet. Properly fitted skates aren't supposed to hurt your feet....they're supposed to feel quite ok...like, no pain or bad discomfort.

dbny
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM

Don't give up! Go ahead with lessons. This is your dream: claim it!

What Went Wrong?

1) It's very possible that your new skates are not right for you. Did you go with your dad when he bought them for you, and did you get fitted properly? Even then, you might need to have some areas of the boots punched out. Sometimes it also helps to replace the insoles with something more cushy from the drugstore. Believe it or not, that's what Don Klingbeil did with my DH's custom boots when he went back complaining that the bottom of his feet hurt. Don told him that he put in more padded insoles that anyone could buy at the drugstore, and that did the trick. The boots you have may also just not be the right shape for your feet (too wide or narrow in a particular place), or may not provide enough support for you to feel secure.

2) There is always someone who is better than you are at something, or who appears to be at first glance. I don't know the circumstances, but there can be many reasons why your sister seemed to be "skating circles" around you. First, everyone's feet are different. Some of us have miserable problem feet and it will take us longer to get our boots right. Others have more fear or discomfort at first. If your sister is younger than you and/or if she has been skating more recently than you, that could account for it. Also, if she has been roller blading, that would do it.

Good luck, and come back and tell us more!

beachbabe
02-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Don't have high expecations at first. You are breaking in new skates i undersdtand...this will be painful for some time. You have not skated for a loooong time, so things are going to be difficult it will be like starting over. Just be patient and make sure you skates are fitting right..and are sharpened well.

I'm sure your next session will be more productive, look in to starting group classes, it may better help you remember technique if you learn it in the same order you did when you were younger.

stardust skies
02-24-2006, 07:29 PM
My wild guess is that if your dad bought you skates...they are synthetic ones, right? With plastic heels and blades attached. If so, the advice above is inapplicable because you can't punch out synthetic skates OR heat mold them, and they never "break in", they'll never mold to your foot in anyway- they can't.

I think that you should get some better skates, for one, and for second...you need to learn how to enjoy this sport despite discomfort. If you didn't like going skating because you were in pain, then you probably won't enjoy this sport because you are ALWAYS in pain at some point. It takes a while for feet to get used to skates, I know that everytime I go on vacations (which isn't often thank God) for a week and then come back to the ice my feet hurt for a few days.

Skating isn't a sport where you'll be comfortable. Everything hurts, and you'll fall eventually. You'll fall a lot. And get bruises, and it'll hurt. And you'll have to go skating with them on your body anyways, and still find ways to enjoy it. You may also be in more pain than others because of the extra weight...it'll probably affect your knees, lower back, and maybe even hip joints for a while. It's up to you to decide if living in pain is worth it. I have pain everyday. My back is in excruciating pain right now from doing too many jumps. It feels as though there is a large fire burning through my spine. But that's okay with me and I still love to skate and look forward to training on Monday. It's a choice you make.

LydiaW
02-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, my Dad bought my skates on sale at a sports retailer that was getting rid of them. They were the best ones they had though. I looked online at the prices of the good skates and blades, and I really can't afford that. I will be doing good paying for lessons, because I don't have a steady income. I live through pain every day... I was born with a spine problem, where my back is curved and some of the vertebrae twist. I have pain all the time, and I have found recently that stretching does help the pain. I can walk normally, and everything like that, so I don't think my back is a big problem. I will slowly save for everything I need. What are the best skates to get for a size 11 Womens US? What other equipment do I need? I will try to make a list of everything.

LydiaW
02-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh and thank you sooo much for the workout ideas!

Rusty Blades
02-25-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, my Dad bought my skates on sale at a sports retailer that was getting rid of them. They were the best ones they had though. I looked online at the prices of the good skates and blades, and I really can't afford that. I will be doing good paying for lessons, because I don't have a steady income. I live through pain every day... I was born with a spine problem, where my back is curved and some of the vertebrae twist. I have pain all the time, and I have found recently that stretching does help the pain. I can walk normally, and everything like that, so I don't think my back is a big problem. I will slowly save for everything I need. What are the best skates to get for a size 11 Womens US? What other equipment do I need? I will try to make a list of everything.

From everything I have heard, the BEST skates are the ones that fit YOU! I have wide feet (duck feet LOL!) and was told Jacksons were the best for wide feet - it was true - in a 10-C I got a good fit in the heel and with bumping out a couple of spots, got an excellent overall fit - as good as my EXPENSIVE custom boots in the 1960's.

I am sure others will comment on different makes for different shaped feet. Everybody loves their own brand but FIT is more important than make.

Oh, I forgot the other stuff!

NEEDED: guards, something comfotable to skate in (I wear strtch slacks and a sweater), gloves (knitted are nice)

Nice to have: a bag to carry everything in, soakers (soft covers for the blades so they dry properly), a towel to dry your blades after skating, polish and sealer (for the sole), a stretch head-band to keep your ears warm,

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2006, 08:09 AM
The ones you heat up in a special kind of oven at the skate shop,No need for that - you can heat them up at home, especially if you have a fan oven. We did Husband's very happily in the gas oven - lowest heat, no more than 3 minutes, and they were fine.

VegasGirl
02-25-2006, 08:21 AM
workout:
cardio-walk 5 min at 3.4
jog for 15 min at 6.2
walk for 20 min at 4.0 incline and 3.4 speed
weights-lift for about 30 min
work on different muscle groups on different days
keep weight high enough to make you be able to do only about 10- 18 reps and about 2-3 sets

That schedule would kill her right now... way too tough for her shape and weight!!!

VegasGirl
02-25-2006, 08:29 AM
LydiaW,

be patient!!! Ofcourse your feet are killing you... for one your skates aren't broken in yet but furthermore you haven't been in skates for years!!! Give it time... and in the meantime use some aides to help with the pain.
I for example use those little round make-up sponge on my ankles because I have little "spurs" there that kill me otherwise. They also sell gel pads for exactly those kind of problems.
Also, don't thread the laces through the last hole before the hooks, skip it, that helps with flex at the ankle.

Those and other measures will help with the breaking in and comfort level of your skates, but your feet will still need to get used to the confinement of the boots and the new activity... there's no way around that!
Remember... baby steps... don't expect too much too soon!!!

stardust skies
02-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Those and other measures will help with the breaking in and comfort level of your skates.]

As I pointed out earlier, that stuff won't work for her- she doesn't have leather skates. They'll never break in, and any padding will just slide around and not comform to any of her foot. She probably gets *zero* support from these skates and that is where half of the pain comes from, especially when dealing with weight issues and there is no way for that weight to be supported while gliding around. The other half is that they probably don't fit her foot where they should. There isn't very much that can be done other than buying a real pair of skates, and sadly Lydia said it might take a while financially, so I think it's either put up with the pain which might be a mistake because those skates are really not appropriate, or wait until she can afford new ones.

renatele
02-25-2006, 03:15 PM
As I pointed out earlier, that stuff won't work for her- she doesn't have leather skates.

How do you know?! Yes, they were bought at a general sports goods store, but at least in this area, even Kmarts have leather (yes, single-ply, but still leather) skates in winter, and sports chain stores sometimes have Jacksons - up to Artistes or Classiques.

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2006, 04:08 PM
]

As I pointed out earlier, that stuff won't work for her- she doesn't have leather skates.That's a remarkably large assumption - have you actually seen them?

flippet
02-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Here's what you need to do. If you really want to learn to skate, you need to take lessons. Check with your rink for the cost and schedule of group lessons, and see if they have an adult group class. At the first lesson, ask your coach what she/he thinks about your skates--whether they're appropriate for someone of your level and weight, at least, enough to get by on. Since we can't see your skates, we don't know for sure. If you want to continue skating for any length of time, then yes, you will need to purchase some quality boots and blades, appropriate for your level at the time, but it's possible that you can 'get by' for a couple sessions of basic lessons with what you've got. On the other hand, if they're total crap, the right rentals may actually be better--the coach can let you know.

Have your blades been sharpened? Sports-store skates do not come already sharpened.

If your skates have even half-way decent support (if they're not completely floppy), try tying them a bit looser at the instep, and at the very top of the skates. They should be tightest right at the ankle bend, and gradually looser (without being too loose) towards either direction. A lot of newbies that complain of foot pain, or cold feet, are simply tying the skates so tight across the instep that the foot cramps and it cuts off some circulation.

Like stardust said, skating is not always comfortable. If you expect it to be, your expectations are WAY too high. Same thing if you expect it to be easy.

stardust skies
02-25-2006, 09:03 PM
How do you know?! Yes, they were bought at a general sports goods store, but at least in this area, even Kmarts have leather (yes, single-ply, but still leather) skates in winter, and sports chain stores sometimes have Jacksons - up to Artistes or Classiques.

I asked earlier: "My wild guess is that if your dad bought you skates...they are synthetic ones, right?" and Lydia responded with "Yeah, my Dad bought my skates on sale at a sports retailer that was getting rid of them. " I could've misunderstood her response and her "yeah" could have been more general, but for all intents and purposes I asked if they were synthetics, and I got a "yeah" back so I imagine they are synthetics. If not, then all the better for Lydia. But the posts above are why I said what I said about the skates.

beachbabe
02-25-2006, 11:21 PM
well if you are having trouble with the fit of the skates, ic an reccomend insoles. if you have health insurance, orthotics might be covered, mine were. If not you can get a pair at many sports stores or maybe at a drugstore even. It can make your skates so much more comfortable. I jsut got my orthotics yesterday and i have to say its like having a whole new skate.

wisniew
02-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Like stardust said, skating is not always comfortable. If you expect it to be, your expectations are WAY too high. Same thing if you expect it to be easy.

... and lots of plateaus. Maybe more ... maybe less than other "lets get involved in a new sport" I'm not smart enough to know. For me, it has resembled golf, a bit, in the "skill plateauing" concept. (Again, just for me) .. I need to practice in such a way as to mix in a combination of

a. just practicing it over and over again
b. trying something new but somewhat related to "stuck skills"
c. being aware of what it is I am stuck on and sometimes think it through and sometimes just work it

I agree with another poster that at some point relatively soon, lessons are in order. Adjust your expectations appropriately between group lessons and private lessons. I am taking group and private lessons. I am at ISI beta. Folx that aren't taking private lessons get stuck at this level (again at least at the rink I am working out at.) because up till this point edges haven't been taught, posture hasn't been taught and cross-overs are taught pretty much to the extent of .. if you can push the foot over and not fall, you get through alpha.

I guess I've wandered a bit, but my point is that you certainly will plateau if you are on your own or to a lesser degree will in group lessons. You need to expect it and have the tools to get through it. Perseverence is required to get yourself back out when your suffering from normal muscle aching (from use not injury) and you feel like your skill level is going backwards. The coaches then come in at that point to reinforce what you have learned, stop the acquisistion of bad habits and point you in the right direction.

Good luck ...

Joe