View Full Version : May Day in Laurel, MD

Debbie S
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
The announcement/entry form for the May Day Open at the Gardens in Laurel, MD (May 12-14) has been posted on the Gardens FSC website: http://gardensfsc.tripod.com/Competitions/May_Day/may_day.html

Deadline is March 20. I haven't decided about this comp yet, but I'm leaning toward doing it. I'm pleased to see so many adult events offered (FS, Artistic, CM, spins, jumps) at a regular (not adult-only) comp. I'm also glad to see Pre-Bronze levels offered, so I may do Pre-Bronze FS and the Bronze CM (finally a Bronze CM with elements I can do!). I assume if no one else signs up for Pre-Bronze FS, they'll let me skate Bronze.

And unlike the past 2 years, I won't have final exams/papers/projects due the week after the comp, so all the more reason to participate this year. :)

LoopLoop
02-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm thinking about doing May Day; I'm working on a new program and getting it ready to compete with by mid-May is a good goal for me. My only concern is the scheduling; two years ago (I skipped this comp last year) they put the adult FS events IMMEDIATELY following Theater on Ice. Immediately as in no ice cut in between; there were four or five TOI teams, and the ice was absolutely atrocious for us.

sk8pics
02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
I second what Loops said. That was the worst ice I have ever seen for a competition. My coach couldn't believe it either. Then, to add insult to injury, they lost our results for an hour! I definitely felt like the adults were an afterthought, and I would never do this competition again.

It was also one of those setups where the door to the locker room opened directly out on the packed rink area. No privacy at all really.

LoopLoop
02-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't know what happened with the schedule that year, but I competed at May Day several other years and there was never that kind of problem except in 2004.

Terri C
02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm also glad to see Pre-Bronze levels offered, so I may do Pre-Bronze FS and the Bronze CM (finally a Bronze CM with elements I can do!). I assume if no one else signs up for Pre-Bronze FS, they'll let me skate Bronze.

I was originally going to do the Artistic and Bronze Compulsories, but after a conversation with my coach today, telling her that there was a Pre Bronze free event, she said "Well I'll cut your new music this weekend." 8O
With that said, there will be another Pre Bronze lady. Debbie!

Debbie S
02-22-2006, 08:46 PM
With that said, there will be another Pre Bronze lady. Debbie!Cool! Can't wait to see your new program!

Yeah, I remember you telling me about the bad ice and the bizzare scheduling, sk8pics - and I remember looking at the schedule last year and seeing that they had the Theater on Ice stuff at a different time (not before the adult events), so maybe it was just that one year. I'll keep my fingers crossed, although given the quality of some of the ice I've had to skate on lately (thankfully, the broken compressor at one rink was repaired pretty quickly), I should be able to handle anything (well, let's hope!).

NoVa Sk8r
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I was originally going to do the Artistic and Bronze Compulsories, but after a conversation with my coach today, telling her that there was a Pre Bronze free event, she said "Well I'll cut your new music this weekend." 8O
With that said, there will be another Pre Bronze lady. Debbie!I thought you were gonna stop competing for a while and focus solely on passing your bronze moves :?:

jazzpants
02-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I thought you were gonna stop competing for a while and focus solely on passing your bronze moves :?:No clue... but it's possible that you might have mixed up her with ME, who is definitely NOT going to compete after Sectionals 'til I pass my Bronze Moves. :P

BTW: I thought YOU were just going to do pairs ONLY! I had no clue you were doing singles men at NYI too until a few days before the competition too!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
02-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Not quite, jazz. I was gonna give up singles AND pairs to focus on gold moves. When I realized how insurmountable these moves were to be, I all but gave up. I work on them sporadically (I can only do half of them). The brackets are rackets, and the double threes are double ZEROS. I amuse myself by putting brackets at the beginning of my program and at the end. It's a gentle reminder of what I'm supposed to work on. I also put my pairs footwork in my singles program--well, that's just because I'm lazy, and I hate footwork! :P

I signed up for singles at NYI because I wanted to do *something* at my club's event; I originally hadn't signed up for pairs because Loops was, er, out of 'da loop. We were asked to enter post-deadline. I wasn't about to withdraw from my singles, though in retrospect, I should have.

NoVa Sk8r
02-23-2006, 01:27 AM
No clue... but it's possible that you might have mixed up her with ME, who is definitely NOT going to compete after Sectionals 'til I pass my Bronze Moves. :PSpeaking of which, have you (and hey, Terri, too!) scheduled that test yet? 8-)

sk8pics
02-23-2006, 06:46 AM
It wasn't just the poor ice quality that annoyed me when I skated in the May Day Open a couple of years ago, but the whole attitude. They managed to do an unscheduled ice cut after the adults skated, but not before (and therefore right after the ice theater event). The losing of our results. The poor layout of the locker rooms, which wasn't the organizers' fault but it just added to the overall impression. It just seemed like they didn't care about having the adults there. We had to walk through another rink which was packed to get to the rink where the adult event was, which I think was freezing cold and practically desserted. I think the main focus was on the kids, as it is in most competitions that have adults and kids. Which is fine, but it sure was not the usual supportive atmosphere that I've grown used to and which I enjoy very much. JMO.

Terri C
02-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Speaking of which, have you (and hey, Terri, too!) scheduled that test yet? 8-)

Terri's appointment with Bronze moves will either be March 22,23, or 24!!!

BTW, the original intent of doing May Day was to do the Artistic event, so my program (The Prayer) would be judged as a Artistic program , opposed to what happens when I skate it in the Adult Interp.
I just mentioned to my coach that they were offering Pre Bronze free- and she took it as well, great time to put out a new program!

Debbie S
02-23-2006, 08:28 AM
it sure was not the usual supportive atmosphere that I've grown used to and which I enjoy very much. JMO.Yikes, doesn't sound real positive. Actually, I noticed that one of the comp chairs listed on this year's announcement is April North, who is an adult skater. I don't know if she was involved with the comp 2 years ago, but I'm hopeful that with her presence, the comp might be more adult-friendly.

NoVa Sk8r
02-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Terri's appointment with Bronze moves will either be March 22,23, or 24!!!So no CRC for you this year, then?

I may enter the May Day. I've never done this comp before. I signed up for it twice before, but there were no other adult men. Because this comp falls a few weeks before the ISU O'dorf comp, I'm hoping there will be at least one other competitor this year.

Terri C
02-23-2006, 10:24 AM
I may enter the May Day. I've never done this comp before. I signed up for it twice before, but there were no other adult men. Because this comp falls a few weeks before the ISU O'dorf comp, I'm hoping there will be at least one other competitor this year.

If we're all going to do May Day, I say let's do it and show the rest of the skating world (coaches, kids, etc) what fun and camraderie we have!!

jazzpants
02-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Speaking of which, have you (and hey, Terri, too!) scheduled that test yet? 8-)No date set... indefinitely!!! :cry: Still fixing my back crossovers and FI mohawks! :frus: Not testing 'til those are fixed. Power 3's could sure use more power on the LFO side too!

The Pre-Bronze Peanut Gallery thinks that Terri won't be a Pre-Bronze lady for long though. ;) (Good luck, Terri!!! KICK BUTT on that Bronze Moves test!!!) :mrgreen:

Terri C
02-23-2006, 06:00 PM
The Pre-Bronze Peanut Gallery thinks that Terri won't be a Pre-Bronze lady for long though. ;) (Good luck, Terri!!! KICK BUTT on that Bronze Moves test!!!) :mrgreen:

Not so fast.
I still want to have a flip and a okay camel before I try for the Bronze free, as well as lower the sitspin. The flip and camel are the latest ne plus ultra elements you need to be competitive at Pre Bronze.

jazzpants
02-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Not so fast.
I still want to have a flip and a okay camel before I try for the Bronze free, as well as lower the sitspin. The flip and camel are the latest ne plus ultra elements you need to be competitive at Pre Bronze.AW SHUCKS!!!! Too bad my camel spins aren't consistently at 3 revs or else I'd put it in my program too!!! :twisted: Of course, I then have to rework my spin entry for the sit spin...and I have a two footed landing on flips... :roll:

Terri C
02-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Just looked at last year's results- there were no adult events, so maybe the organizers learned their lesson from two years ago!